Prep Course Recommendation for California Attorneys Exam Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
LWHTI

New

Prep Course Recommendation for California Attorneys Exam

Post by LWHTI » Sun Apr 28, 2019 2:39 pm

I am taking the one day Attorneys Exam in July 2019. I am debating whether to sign up for a course or to simply buy used materials and use those to study. Should I take a prep course? If yes, which one? I am leaning towards Themis.

MBernard

Re: Prep Course Recommendation for California Attorneys Exam

Post by MBernard » Sun Apr 28, 2019 11:27 pm

I’d reccomend buying used materials. The lectures associated with the prep course are unnecessary imo. Specifically, I used barbri’s mini conviser, Barbri’s lecture notes, and an older essay book for the July 2018 Ca bar exam.

Since you’re already an attorney, you have a leg up when it comes to taking the bar. Just make sure you go through the entirety of the essays on the Ca website and buy a book that contains older Ca essays. On the J18 exam, the examiners recycled two older questions (contracts and Con Law) that were near verbatim repeats from previous years. Even if the examiners do not repeat older questions, you are still likely to see similar concepts and fact patterns tested on game day.

The best prep, to me, involves tons of exposure to past exam material and thinking through the essays (don’t even necessarily have to write them out). Best of luck!

caitlin1016

New

Post by caitlin1016 » Tue Apr 30, 2019 4:08 pm

Barbri has a course designed for attorneys if you're interested in that. That's what I'm doing, but I have to take the two day exam since I haven't been licensed long enough. I think they might have one specifically for the one day attorneys' exam but not positive about that.

barjamie8

New

Post by barjamie8 » Wed May 01, 2019 1:43 am

You can do this on your own. I would recommend getting a membership to BarEssays. Practice every day and compare your answers to the real ones that scored 55, 65, 75. Through doing this, you will learn what you need to do. I would NOT recommend using the models on the cal bar website. Those are the top in the state and will not tell you the most important issues you need to hit on every essay to pass. Good luck!

Smiddywesson

Bronze

Post by Smiddywesson » Wed May 01, 2019 1:53 pm

barjamie8 wrote:You can do this on your own. I would recommend getting a membership to BarEssays. Practice every day and compare your answers to the real ones that scored 55, 65, 75. Through doing this, you will learn what you need to do. I would NOT recommend using the models on the cal bar website. Those are the top in the state and will not tell you the most important issues you need to hit on every essay to pass. Good luck!
I'm not a California attorney, but I got a full membership to BarEssays.com and I support your recommendation. It's a great resource and it's fairly inexpensive. I can't say enough about the site, it's really helpful.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

hastingsgal

New

Post by hastingsgal » Fri May 17, 2019 11:44 am

What did you decide to do?

barjamie8

New

Post by barjamie8 » Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:25 am

Smiddywesson wrote:
barjamie8 wrote:You can do this on your own. I would recommend getting a membership to BarEssays. Practice every day and compare your answers to the real ones that scored 55, 65, 75. Through doing this, you will learn what you need to do. I would NOT recommend using the models on the cal bar website. Those are the top in the state and will not tell you the most important issues you need to hit on every essay to pass. Good luck!
I'm not a California attorney, but I got a full membership to BarEssays.com and I support your recommendation. It's a great resource and it's fairly inexpensive. I can't say enough about the site, it's really helpful.
Did you end up choosing a course or doing it on your own?

Vanylin

New

Post by Vanylin » Sun Oct 27, 2019 2:00 pm

You will be able to handle the preparation yourself. In my opinion, just solving practical tasks and independently reviewing the theory will work best

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”