Does Marino Retaker Course work

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
lstone

New

Does Marino Retaker Course work

Postby lstone » Wed Apr 24, 2019 12:18 pm

Hi just got my NY bar results and failed again. First time I tried Barbri, than last time Kaplan and my score only went up by 2 points. I could do Kaplan again, I thought it was a little better than Barbri but my friend just passed using Marino Bar Review's retaker course and she had gotten a lower score than I did the first time.

Does anyone else have experience with Marino and if it i worth the money?

Jdunn7043

New

Re: Does Marino Retaker Course work

Postby Jdunn7043 » Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:09 am

Marino does work. I decided to use the retaker course they have thanks to a bunch of recommendations from here and people in my office and I passed the NY bar exam just now on my 4th try. The program is great because it actually shows you how to write a passing essay, as opposed to just having you learn the law and try to figure out how to write it yourself. And the Marino tutor I had was amazing! Can't say enough good things about her. So yes, use Marino, it will be worth it.

Smiddywesson

Bronze

Postby Smiddywesson » Tue Apr 30, 2019 3:29 pm

lstone wrote:Hi just got my NY bar results and failed again. First time I tried Barbri, than last time Kaplan and my score only went up by 2 points. I could do Kaplan again, I thought it was a little better than Barbri but my friend just passed using Marino Bar Review's retaker course and she had gotten a lower score than I did the first time.

Does anyone else have experience with Marino and if it i worth the money?

Nobody can answer that question without knowing your scores in the different events. What sank you, the essays or the MBE?

lstone

New

Postby lstone » Tue Apr 30, 2019 4:53 pm

My first time using Barbri I got a 128 on the MBE and a 121 on my essays, this last time using Kaplan I got a 129 on the MBE and and a 122 on my essays. Both times my MPTs were actually the things I did the best on - the MEEs seem to be my weakest

ebaskets927

New

Postby ebaskets927 » Tue May 07, 2019 11:29 am

I have the same basic question about Marino Bar Review. I'm a former Barbri rep who failed twice with that course and I have been told a lot of good things about Marino. I'm thinking about doing Marino's retaker course plus Adaptibar this time. Any feedback anyone has about them would be appreciated.

phdjd

New

Postby phdjd » Tue May 07, 2019 1:29 pm

I took the Feb. 2019 bar exam as a retaker and used the Marino Retaker course to pass the exam with a score of 318 (158 MBE and 160 MEE/MPT). I had used Barbri for the July 2018 exam and obtained a 263 (130 MBE, 133 MEE/MPT; 7 points shy of the 270 needed for MA). I was frustrated by the Barbri process and knew that I needed a different method of studying the second time around. Mostly, I was frustrated by the numerous videos and what felt like disconnected methodology and lack of active learning, which is what I need to do in order to learn material. I also felt that the MBE questions that I practiced on seemed different than those during the July exam. In investigating other options for Feb., I found Marino and sent them my score report and spoke to someone for free about their course. I highly recommend doing this if you are considering Marino before signing up so that you know that it is a good fit for you personally!

I am really happy that I used Marino. Part of the program includes several tutoring sessions, which were incredibly helpful. My tutor was EXCELLENT and gave me great tips on how to structure my study time, my writing for the MEE and MPT sections, as well as gave me the confidence and moral support I needed as a retaker. What I appreciated about Marino is that they have the materials are structured in a way that zooms in on the highly tested topics and is consistent across all their materials, from their answers to the multiple choice questions to their videos. Marino also outlines great methodology for each section of the exam, which made my studying more efficient and is reinforced over the course so that by exam day I was basically on auto pilot. I did find an occasional typo here or there, but it was nothing that completely stalled me in my studying as I got a lot out of the program. My study process for Feb was completely different than for July because I was doing more active learning by doing practice MBE questions and some combination of MEEs and MPTs every day from the beginning (I was able to study full-time during January and February). Regardless of whether you go with Marino or not, practicing for the bar is so important. I was floored when I saw my results. I felt better walking out of the Feb exam than I did in July, but was not expecting the significant point increase that I saw. While I may have been able to pass by doing Barbri again, I attribute my score increase to having taken the Marino course.

I should add that I did end up supplementing with S&T for Feb, which I did find helpful for the MBE section. I also highly recommend going through the questions on the NCBE study aid. I did that during the last two weeks of my studying and I found that those questions were very similar to the ones I saw in Feb. I also had my Barbri materials (mostly used the convisor mini-review as a resource and the answers in the MEE question book) as well as critical pass flashcards and Studicata outlines. I also reviewed the free JD advising MBE and MEE highly tested topics guides and listened to podcast episodes on Bar Exam Toolbox that went over MEE essays and MBE questions during my studying.

I hope this helps. Good luck to everyone! I do recommend directly contacting Marino if you have specific questions about their program, they are very helpful.

Fox_85

New

Postby Fox_85 » Tue May 07, 2019 4:53 pm

Hey thank you, this was really helpful. Came here to ask the same thing. I'll be signing up soon.

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum?