Texas C&F Experience Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Ty Webb

Silver

Texas C&F Experience

Post by Ty Webb » Thu Apr 18, 2019 1:05 am

Just wanted to share my experience because I had a lot of doubts entering law school, and hopefully this will help the next guy.

I got the all clear from the Texas BLE on character and fitness a couple of weeks ago. I had several issues that might have stopped me, and really I thought would be bigger issues for me than they turned out to be.

In college, I had three arrests. One of those was for multiple counts of forgery (misdemeanor, no dollar amount). That was dismissed at a probable cause hearing (I never hired a lawyer). I was also arrested for two other misdemeanors (trespassing/harassment). I did PTI successfully and those were dismissed. No convictions. But nothing was expunged.

I am now over 30, so more than a decade had passed since any problems. Almost 15 years since the more serious forgery arrest. I disclosed everything on my LS applications.

I also had some financial issues (an IRS tax debt, some credit cards in collections, one federal student loan that fell into delinquency but is now current, and state student loans that defaulted; I went through loan rehabilitation, paying several monthly payments on time in a row to rehabilitate the debt). Most interestingly, I entered LS in 2010, finished all course work in 2013, and left LS with a bunch of debt owed to the school. I did startup consulting for a few years after that and never officially graduated. Finally did pay off my debt to the school and graduated in December of 2018.

So my path was atypical to say the least. However, I was able to secure a legal job pre-bar, working in it with a promise of post-bar employment. I had several references who were members of the bar in good standing who vouched for me.

I also applied very late (Feb. bar 2019, I didn't file my declaration of intent until late October 2018). I spoke with several lawyers to prep myself for what was to come and figured I would be required to have a hearing on character and fitness. I was advised not to hire anyone until I got that word. I sat for the bar in February and got the all clear in early April. I was not required to have a hearing.

Just want to share my experience because there may be some people out there who are wary of the bar because of these issues facing them. I know I feared that hearing and having some of my worst experiences paraded out for all to see. It's unpleasant having your life examined. But if you have some distance between your mistakes and your current life, and if you've taken some steps to grow up/be better, then you should be fine (if my experience is any indication). I think the most important factors for me were: 1) no convictions, only arrests; 2) some evidence of rehabilitation (working in a good legal job, paying off various debts, having solid references); and 3) the amount of time that passed.

I had several people try to dissuade me from going to law school by claiming my arrest history would prevent me from being licensed. Several others said I was headed toward a probationary license. My experience tells me that every situation is unique and it's possible to survive this process depending on what your current looks like.

I10attorney

New

Re: Texas C&F Experience

Post by I10attorney » Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:24 am

Thanks for your candor. I'm a TX candidate and I've always wondered about the stringency surrounding their C & F process. Congratulations!

Smiddywesson

Bronze

Post by Smiddywesson » Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:12 am

Ty Webb wrote:Just wanted to share my experience because I had a lot of doubts entering law school, and hopefully this will help the next guy.

I got the all clear from the Texas BLE on character and fitness a couple of weeks ago. I had several issues that might have stopped me, and really I thought would be bigger issues for me than they turned out to be.

In college, I had three arrests. One of those was for multiple counts of forgery (misdemeanor, no dollar amount). That was dismissed at a probable cause hearing (I never hired a lawyer). I was also arrested for two other misdemeanors (trespassing/harassment). I did PTI successfully and those were dismissed. No convictions. But nothing was expunged.

I am now over 30, so more than a decade had passed since any problems. Almost 15 years since the more serious forgery arrest. I disclosed everything on my LS applications.

I also had some financial issues (an IRS tax debt, some credit cards in collections, one federal student loan that fell into delinquency but is now current, and state student loans that defaulted; I went through loan rehabilitation, paying several monthly payments on time in a row to rehabilitate the debt). Most interestingly, I entered LS in 2010, finished all course work in 2013, and left LS with a bunch of debt owed to the school. I did startup consulting for a few years after that and never officially graduated. Finally did pay off my debt to the school and graduated in December of 2018.

So my path was atypical to say the least. However, I was able to secure a legal job pre-bar, working in it with a promise of post-bar employment. I had several references who were members of the bar in good standing who vouched for me.

I also applied very late (Feb. bar 2019, I didn't file my declaration of intent until late October 2018). I spoke with several lawyers to prep myself for what was to come and figured I would be required to have a hearing on character and fitness. I was advised not to hire anyone until I got that word. I sat for the bar in February and got the all clear in early April. I was not required to have a hearing.

Just want to share my experience because there may be some people out there who are wary of the bar because of these issues facing them. I know I feared that hearing and having some of my worst experiences paraded out for all to see. It's unpleasant having your life examined. But if you have some distance between your mistakes and your current life, and if you've taken some steps to grow up/be better, then you should be fine (if my experience is any indication). I think the most important factors for me were: 1) no convictions, only arrests; 2) some evidence of rehabilitation (working in a good legal job, paying off various debts, having solid references); and 3) the amount of time that passed.

I had several people try to dissuade me from going to law school by claiming my arrest history would prevent me from being licensed. Several others said I was headed toward a probationary license. My experience tells me that every situation is unique and it's possible to survive this process depending on what your current looks like.
What a great story of Stress, helplessness, anxiety, determination, hope, and eventual success despite what the naysayers said. I've read this post three times and it always makes me smile. Congratulations, you deserve it. :D

b290

Bronze

Post by b290 » Sat Sep 14, 2019 3:18 am

Ty Webb wrote:Just wanted to share my experience because I had a lot of doubts entering law school, and hopefully this will help the next guy.

What a story and well done counselor!!!

My $.02

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”