Can you Amend Bar Application after Admission?

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
lolwatt

New

Can you Amend Bar Application after Admission?

Postby lolwatt » Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:36 am

I am applying for admission by reciprocity to a new jurisdiction.

As part of the application I am required to submit copies of my previous applications to other jurisdictions. Reviewing these copies, I realized that I neglected to list an employment on one of the applications. The employment in question is listed on other past applications of mine.

The complicating factor is that I was fired from this particular employer. It was a very short period of time - I was there for 1 month and they fired me the day after I failed my first bar exam. I simply forgot that this 1 month stint happened.

What should I do? Can I amend my past application - it has been years since I've been admitted. Would I be considered performing unlawful practice or any other probation/suspension?

rcharter1978

Gold

Re: Can you Amend Bar Application after Admission?

Postby rcharter1978 » Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:58 am

I'm not a c&f attorney by any means so take this with a grain of salt.

1. In California there is some regulation that basically spells out that honest mistakes are acceptable. This sounds like an honest mistake especially if you've disclosed on other applications AND you're putting it on this application.

2. If they knew you weren't an attorney and you were basically doing clerk work, I don't see what the big deal is. It doesn't sound like you held yourself out as an attorney? I worked before admission but was very clear that I wasn't an attorney, could not sign anything, would not sign anything, and was subject to supervision from another attorney. So I don't really see the problem?

Smiddywesson

Bronze

Re: Can you Amend Bar Application after Admission?

Postby Smiddywesson » Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:18 pm

I would amend it. There's nothing derogatory in your firing, it was a very short employment, and it was understandable that you forgot to list it. More importantly, you are voluntarily offering it after you already passed the review. I don't see any real problems coming out of this, certainly nothing more than an interview, and I doubt even that. You are good.

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum?