2019 July California Bar

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
User avatar
265489164158

Bronze
Posts: 118
Joined: Tue Mar 29, 2016 9:33 am

Re: 2019 July California Bar

Postby 265489164158 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:49 pm

wildmadagascar wrote:How is everyone else studying for the CA topics? Just reading the outlines? HELP please :cry:

I'm having trouble memorizing the rules for CA essay topics. I think I learn most effectively when I'm solving questions (such as MBE). Does anyone know of any platform that offers multiple choice Q's, short questions, or flashcards for CA essay topics (community property, wills, trust, biz org, civ pro, evidence, PR, etc.)??

PLEASE HELPPPP


I just started doing closed book. If I don't know the rule, I state it as best I can, and if I really don't know, I make up the rule (as I think it should be). This allows me to at least practice writing the essays. Then, when I am self-grading and checking my answer, I handwrite the major rule on a notecard (and will continue to review these until I know it cold). I end up with about three rules per essay (I am sure this will lessen as they start to repeat). I am not worried about every nuance and nitty gritty detail-just trying to get it something passable locked in my mind that can be applied in most situations.

Don't let perfection get in the way of minimum competency.

Crtxlaw

New
Posts: 13
Joined: Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:28 pm

Re: 2019 July California Bar

Postby Crtxlaw » Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:59 pm

Anyone doing Kaplan: what are the changes they made to the CP notes? Long story short I started studying earlier than normal so I had the video from the february study session. The new bar notes they just sent out indicate that something has changed with CP and I don't want to rewatch the CP video or try to figure out what has changed with regard to CP.

ardg12

New
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu May 24, 2018 12:36 pm

Re: 2019 July California Bar

Postby ardg12 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:36 pm

Can Anyone help me clarify something with the new PR rules. For conflict of interest, do we still go through the analysis for potential and actual conflict? it seems the outlines that I am seeing on the new rules do not say anything about a potential conflict.

Any help? A basic outline of conflict of interest under the new rules would be great, curious on how some people would go about organizing it with the heading if it came up on the essay.

User avatar
265489164158

Bronze
Posts: 118
Joined: Tue Mar 29, 2016 9:33 am

Re: 2019 July California Bar

Postby 265489164158 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:15 am

ardg12 wrote:Can Anyone help me clarify something with the new PR rules. For conflict of interest, do we still go through the analysis for potential and actual conflict? it seems the outlines that I am seeing on the new rules do not say anything about a potential conflict.

Any help? A basic outline of conflict of interest under the new rules would be great, curious on how some people would go about organizing it with the heading if it came up on the essay.


I don't think that the new rules changed anything pertaining to conflicts. The analysis is the same?

ipsares

New
Posts: 30
Joined: Mon May 27, 2019 7:56 pm

Re: 2019 July California Bar

Postby ipsares » Fri Jul 12, 2019 5:14 pm

This con law model answer is off the damn rails

http://www.calbar.ca.gov/Portals/0/docu ... df#page=55

Bingo_Bongo

Bronze
Posts: 111
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2018 3:25 pm

Re: 2019 July California Bar

Postby Bingo_Bongo » Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:36 pm

ReasonablePersonSSC wrote:
The essay questions are presented to and approved by the Committee of Bar Examiners a couple months before the test. For example, according to the meeting agenda the written questions for the upcoming July exam were presented to the Committee in a closed session on April 27, 2019.


Thanks for that info! I was always curious the process the questions went through for approval.

I still stand by my assertion that there is little no testing/oversight over the process, though.

hastingsgal

New
Posts: 35
Joined: Thu May 02, 2019 2:08 am

Re: 2019 July California Bar

Postby hastingsgal » Sat Jul 13, 2019 5:38 pm

ipsares wrote:This con law model answer is off the damn rails

http://www.calbar.ca.gov/Portals/0/docu ... df#page=55


Well yeah these are the top answers in the state. One state bar official said that some of them are written by supreme court clerks. I never found these models to be helpful because they look nothing like the average passing answer.

wildmadagascar

New
Posts: 10
Joined: Sat Jun 29, 2019 12:25 am

Re: 2019 July California Bar

Postby wildmadagascar » Sat Jul 13, 2019 7:21 pm

I'm genuinely confused with state bar's essay scoring? On Baressays there are so many 75-answers that miss the key issues and cite the wrong law (citing speech laws to a commerce clause/tenth amendment question), and still score better than most of the students who did not miss the key issues. What's going on?

For example, look up 2009 July Con Law. I know this is an old essay but the 75 answer is just so wrong. I'M CONFUSED.

ipsares

New
Posts: 30
Joined: Mon May 27, 2019 7:56 pm

Re: 2019 July California Bar

Postby ipsares » Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:01 pm

wildmadagascar wrote:I'm genuinely confused with state bar's essay scoring? On Baressays there are so many 75-answers that miss the key issues and cite the wrong law (citing speech laws to a commerce clause/tenth amendment question), and still score better than most of the students who did not miss the key issues. What's going on?

For example, look up 2009 July Con Law. I know this is an old essay but the 75 answer is just so wrong. I'M CONFUSED.


it kind of gives me hope :D if you are taking themis ide-don mentions to just make up rules because most of the points are in the analysis - on the other side, there are some 80s-85s that are really good and its like, how did this person not pass?

ipsares

New
Posts: 30
Joined: Mon May 27, 2019 7:56 pm

Re: 2019 July California Bar

Postby ipsares » Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:04 pm

hastingsgal wrote:
ipsares wrote:This con law model answer is off the damn rails

http://www.calbar.ca.gov/Portals/0/docu ... df#page=55


Well yeah these are the top answers in the state. One state bar official said that some of them are written by supreme court clerks. I never found these models to be helpful because they look nothing like the average passing answer.


yeah i figure to shoot for the model answers and ill land somewhere near passing - a lot of the times the 65-75 scores probably about 50-70% of the model answers. but they have been helpful for me to get layouts and formatting for attacking different questions types

hastingsgal

New
Posts: 35
Joined: Thu May 02, 2019 2:08 am

Re: 2019 July California Bar

Postby hastingsgal » Sun Jul 14, 2019 5:53 am

ipsares wrote:
hastingsgal wrote:
ipsares wrote:This con law model answer is off the damn rails

http://www.calbar.ca.gov/Portals/0/docu ... df#page=55


Well yeah these are the top answers in the state. One state bar official said that some of them are written by supreme court clerks. I never found these models to be helpful because they look nothing like the average passing answer.


yeah i figure to shoot for the model answers and ill land somewhere near passing - a lot of the times the 65-75 scores probably about 50-70% of the model answers. but they have been helpful for me to get layouts and formatting for attacking different questions types


Except the problem is you can't tell from the models which issues are the most important for points and which ones did not get any points. IMO its better just to look at real essays that scored 65/70 and see which issues they hit.

hastingsgal

New
Posts: 35
Joined: Thu May 02, 2019 2:08 am

Re: 2019 July California Bar

Postby hastingsgal » Sun Jul 14, 2019 5:56 am

wildmadagascar wrote:I'm genuinely confused with state bar's essay scoring? On Baressays there are so many 75-answers that miss the key issues and cite the wrong law (citing speech laws to a commerce clause/tenth amendment question), and still score better than most of the students who did not miss the key issues. What's going on?

For example, look up 2009 July Con Law. I know this is an old essay but the 75 answer is just so wrong. I'M CONFUSED.


I think this is probably an outlier. I found that most of the 75 answers were very good and hit all of the key issues.

bigpete777

New
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:20 am

Re: 2019 July California Bar

Postby bigpete777 » Sun Jul 14, 2019 3:26 pm

265489164158 wrote:
wildmadagascar wrote:How is everyone else studying for the CA topics? Just reading the outlines? HELP please :cry:

I'm having trouble memorizing the rules for CA essay topics. I think I learn most effectively when I'm solving questions (such as MBE). Does anyone know of any platform that offers multiple choice Q's, short questions, or flashcards for CA essay topics (community property, wills, trust, biz org, civ pro, evidence, PR, etc.)??

PLEASE HELPPPP


I just started doing closed book. If I don't know the rule, I state it as best I can, and if I really don't know, I make up the rule (as I think it should be). This allows me to at least practice writing the essays. Then, when I am self-grading and checking my answer, I handwrite the major rule on a notecard (and will continue to review these until I know it cold). I end up with about three rules per essay (I am sure this will lessen as they start to repeat). I am not worried about every nuance and nitty gritty detail-just trying to get it something passable locked in my mind that can be applied in most situations.

Don't let perfection get in the way of minimum competency.


Hi. I'm an attorney currently practicing in TX, but will be taking this exam. I've been studying on my own, just using the CA essay answers to study from. Wanted to ask if there are any good free resources available for learning the basics of CA Civ Pro and the new PR rules (so far I've just studied from the link posted earlier in this thread). I have a decent idea, I think, just from studying the practice essays repeatedly, but it would be nice to have a quick outline of the most important and most likely to appear CA specific rules. Any assistance would be much appreciated!

ReasonablePersonSSC

New
Posts: 43
Joined: Sun Apr 28, 2019 9:14 pm

Re: 2019 July California Bar

Postby ReasonablePersonSSC » Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:23 am

bigpete777 wrote:
265489164158 wrote:
wildmadagascar wrote:How is everyone else studying for the CA topics? Just reading the outlines? HELP please :cry:

I'm having trouble memorizing the rules for CA essay topics. I think I learn most effectively when I'm solving questions (such as MBE). Does anyone know of any platform that offers multiple choice Q's, short questions, or flashcards for CA essay topics (community property, wills, trust, biz org, civ pro, evidence, PR, etc.)??

PLEASE HELPPPP


I just started doing closed book. If I don't know the rule, I state it as best I can, and if I really don't know, I make up the rule (as I think it should be). This allows me to at least practice writing the essays. Then, when I am self-grading and checking my answer, I handwrite the major rule on a notecard (and will continue to review these until I know it cold). I end up with about three rules per essay (I am sure this will lessen as they start to repeat). I am not worried about every nuance and nitty gritty detail-just trying to get it something passable locked in my mind that can be applied in most situations.

Don't let perfection get in the way of minimum competency.


Hi. I'm an attorney currently practicing in TX, but will be taking this exam. I've been studying on my own, just using the CA essay answers to study from. Wanted to ask if there are any good free resources available for learning the basics of CA Civ Pro and the new PR rules (so far I've just studied from the link posted earlier in this thread). I have a decent idea, I think, just from studying the practice essays repeatedly, but it would be nice to have a quick outline of the most important and most likely to appear CA specific rules. Any assistance would be much appreciated!


I relied on Mary Basick’s book, Essay Writing for the CA Bar Exam, for the California distinctions in all subjects, evidence, PR, Civ Pro, corporations, wills/trusts. It is available through Amazon

Crtxlaw

New
Posts: 13
Joined: Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:28 pm

Re: 2019 July California Bar

Postby Crtxlaw » Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:19 pm

Sorry for the sidebar, but does anyone know how long we have to wait until we can call the CA bar and ask how our moral character app is coming along? I could have sworn it was 120 days after the app is sent in but now I can’t find anything on it.

ReasonablePersonSSC

New
Posts: 43
Joined: Sun Apr 28, 2019 9:14 pm

Re: 2019 July California Bar

Postby ReasonablePersonSSC » Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:23 pm

Crtxlaw wrote:Sorry for the sidebar, but does anyone know how long we have to wait until we can call the CA bar and ask how our moral character app is coming along? I could have sworn it was 120 days after the app is sent in but now I can’t find anything on it.


By statute they have 180 days from the date they tell you it is complete and filed (this is a later date than when you you submitted it) to respond—either positive or negative determination or they need information. If they ask for more information, they have another 120 days to respond.

The email I received naming the investigator on my case (not an analyst) said I could inquiry 90 days from the receipt of the email. I inquired but did not receive a response from him because my app had been assigned to another investigator. That one sent me a positive determination 33 minutes after I provided the additional information they requested.

In 2018 only 32 apps got negative determinations and I think around only 18 in 2017...but it is a waiting game.

The California Moral Character Determination thread has a lot of good information on the process.

yespasscbx

New
Posts: 25
Joined: Sat Dec 01, 2018 5:46 am

Re: 2019 July California Bar

Postby yespasscbx » Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:59 pm

ReasonablePersonSSC wrote:The email I received naming the investigator on my case (not an analyst) said I could inquiry 90 days from the receipt of the email.


Is this the same email that also said your application is 'complete and in filed status'? Thanks!

ReasonablePersonSSC

New
Posts: 43
Joined: Sun Apr 28, 2019 9:14 pm

Re: 2019 July California Bar

Postby ReasonablePersonSSC » Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:55 pm

yespasscbx wrote:
ReasonablePersonSSC wrote:The email I received naming the investigator on my case (not an analyst) said I could inquiry 90 days from the receipt of the email.


Is this the same email that also said your application is 'complete and in filed status'? Thanks!


No, it was a separate email, although both were sent on the same date.

yespasscbx

New
Posts: 25
Joined: Sat Dec 01, 2018 5:46 am

Re: 2019 July California Bar

Postby yespasscbx » Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:36 pm

ReasonablePersonSSC wrote:
yespasscbx wrote:
ReasonablePersonSSC wrote:The email I received naming the investigator on my case (not an analyst) said I could inquiry 90 days from the receipt of the email.


Is this the same email that also said your application is 'complete and in filed status'? Thanks!


No, it was a separate email, although both were sent on the same date.


Thank you! That's very helpful - now I know what I'm waiting for :lol:

gopurp333

New
Posts: 56
Joined: Tue Apr 26, 2016 12:20 pm

Re: 2019 July California Bar

Postby gopurp333 » Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:57 pm

I am enrolled in BARBRI and also bought the S&T MBE book by Emanuel. I am scoring 70%+ on BARBRI consistently. When I go to the subject-specific question sets in S&T, I am getting 50%.

Does anyone know if the questions in the topic-specific section are only the 7-10s difficulty wise?

surge2385

New
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed May 22, 2019 9:04 am

Re: 2019 July California Bar

Postby surge2385 » Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:52 am

Quick question!

The defendant is charged for battery. The defendant is on the witness stand being cross-examine by the prosecutor. The Prosecutor brings up that he lied on his college application. Can that go towards impeaching the defendant’s credibility? I know that a conviction of dishonesty of 10 years or less can most likely go towards challenging his credibility but what about just a dishonest specific act.

Thank you so much!

Happy88

New
Posts: 46
Joined: Sat Jul 14, 2018 2:13 pm

Re: 2019 July California Bar

Postby Happy88 » Thu Jul 18, 2019 2:17 am

I’m freaking out.

Crtxlaw

New
Posts: 13
Joined: Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:28 pm

Re: 2019 July California Bar

Postby Crtxlaw » Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:28 am

surge2385 wrote:Quick question!

The defendant is charged for battery. The defendant is on the witness stand being cross-examine by the prosecutor. The Prosecutor brings up that he lied on his college application. Can that go towards impeaching the defendant’s credibility? I know that a conviction of dishonesty of 10 years or less can most likely go towards challenging his credibility but what about just a dishonest specific act.

Thank you so much!


Unless the defendant opened the door to his character being attacked he can’t be questioned on it. But that is for character evidence. If this were brought in for impeachment I think it would be fine, however I don’t know if this would be allowed in because it doesn’t seem relevant to a battery case. In other words, if it is deemed relevant, then it could come in for impeachment as a prior bad act related to D’s truthfulness; but it wouldn’t come in as character evidence because there is no indication that the defendant opened the door to have his character attacked. I hope this helps/I’m about 90% sure I’m right (not an ad for it but credit to Brian Hahn and your magic sheets)

Crtxlaw

New
Posts: 13
Joined: Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:28 pm

Re: 2019 July California Bar

Postby Crtxlaw » Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:30 am

gopurp333 wrote:I am enrolled in BARBRI and also bought the S&T MBE book by Emanuel. I am scoring 70%+ on BARBRI consistently. When I go to the subject-specific question sets in S&T, I am getting 50%.

Does anyone know if the questions in the topic-specific section are only the 7-10s difficulty wise?



I can tell you from experience that the barbri questions get harder the closer you get to the test. I used barbri for the TX bar exam a few years ago and was FREAKING out because I was doing so terribly. Take a deep breath, read why the answer is correct, and move on. You will be fine. When I say I was doing terribly I mean it, and I still ended up getting a more than sufficient score on the MBE

gopurp333

New
Posts: 56
Joined: Tue Apr 26, 2016 12:20 pm

Re: 2019 July California Bar

Postby gopurp333 » Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:02 am

Crtxlaw wrote:
gopurp333 wrote:I am enrolled in BARBRI and also bought the S&T MBE book by Emanuel. I am scoring 70%+ on BARBRI consistently. When I go to the subject-specific question sets in S&T, I am getting 50%.

Does anyone know if the questions in the topic-specific section are only the 7-10s difficulty wise?



I can tell you from experience that the barbri questions get harder the closer you get to the test. I used barbri for the TX bar exam a few years ago and was FREAKING out because I was doing so terribly. Take a deep breath, read why the answer is correct, and move on. You will be fine. When I say I was doing terribly I mean it, and I still ended up getting a more than sufficient score on the MBE



Thanks but I am asking about the Strategies & Tactics book. Does anyone know if the questions in the subject-specific question (50-60 of of them) are only the most difficult of questions? There don’t seem to be any softballs.



Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum?

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Exabot [Bot] and 13 guests