2019 July California Bar Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
nrand001

New

Re: 2019 July California Bar

Post by nrand001 » Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:36 pm

265489164158 wrote:
nrand001 wrote:Hey guys, i have found cal bar bible's study materials to be of great benefit. I was having a really hard time getting all the rules memorized, but cal bar bible has these condensed study sheets which makes memorization sooo much easier. literally every subject is broken down to its most simple format. They also have various attack sheets and charts to simply complex concepts in contracts and property. check it out!
DId anyone else get a random DM from nrand advertising this product? Mods, is this ok?
My bad - not trying to violate any of the forums policies but just spreading the word since this group is about the California bar.

resipsastudent

New

Post by resipsastudent » Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:33 pm

[Redacted - Sockpuppet account of nrand "endorsing" their own post]

QContinuum

Post by QContinuum » Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:08 am

I've issued an official warning to nrand001 to stop their advertising (both on the fora and via PMs). If they continue, please PM me and I will ban them. TLS does not allow advertising, other than from official TLS Partners approved by the administrators.

I've also permabanned the resipsastudent account as it was a sockpuppet account created by nrand to "endorse" their own posts. To prevent nrand from benefiting from the sockpuppeting I've also redacted resipsastudent's posts in this thread so other users aren't deceived into thinking folks are actually in favor of nrand's advertising.

Thanks for the reports and best of luck to everyone studying for the CA bar!

Ksapatlawyer

New

Post by Ksapatlawyer » Thu Jun 06, 2019 3:14 am

Reality check - today's admission ticket e-mail. :)

nappingwolf

New

Post by nappingwolf » Thu Jun 06, 2019 3:41 pm

I haven't received my admission ticket...anyone else still waiting? Seems like a majority got theirs this week.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

lawlady4999

New

Post by lawlady4999 » Thu Jun 06, 2019 3:48 pm

Did not receive my admission ticket yet, either!

pris1533

New

Post by pris1533 » Thu Jun 06, 2019 4:13 pm

Have not received my admission's ticket yet, either :?

Bronze

Re: Cal Bar July 2019

Post by 265489164158 » Thu Jun 06, 2019 6:32 pm

nrand001 wrote:You should receive confirmation of registration within a few days. Check out cal bar bible's study materials for crunch time. It's money!
Mods, nrand is at it again.

RoddyAA

New

Post by RoddyAA » Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:57 am

Got mine yesterday :shock:

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

uvalaw19

New

Post by uvalaw19 » Sat Jun 08, 2019 11:15 am

numb3r4 wrote: Also, basically just been doing 40 AdaptiBar questions in the morning (reviewing any I get wrong by writing substantive rules), then reviewing a stack of CP flashcards (different topic each day), then doing an essay topic in Mary Basick's book, then finishing with trying to watch one BarBri substantive lecture at the end of each day (I've decided to not do the rest of BarBri crap cause it drains my soul -- even the lectures have become hard to get through but I'm too scared to not watch them).

I'm worried I'm not memorizing entire rule statements because I don't know how I'm going to write my essays without them so I'm brainstorming ways to throw that in somewhere... with all the free time haha. Also signed up for BarEssays to review my essays but haven't done a ton yet. Also committed to doing a full timed PT every Monday and yesterday's was god-awful for me. Definitely going to need to work on my strategy for those so I don't fail due to the PT. Ideally by the 7th time it all just comes together because I'm not planning to do anything extra lol.
Wow, that is a lot of studying each day. Is everyone else studying as much as OP? I'm doing Themis, and only Themis. That's about 6 hours a day on weekdays. All my law school classmates I talk to are doing about the same... Should I be studying more?

Bronze

Post by 265489164158 » Sat Jun 08, 2019 12:15 pm

uvalaw19 wrote:
numb3r4 wrote: Also, basically just been doing 40 AdaptiBar questions in the morning (reviewing any I get wrong by writing substantive rules), then reviewing a stack of CP flashcards (different topic each day), then doing an essay topic in Mary Basick's book, then finishing with trying to watch one BarBri substantive lecture at the end of each day (I've decided to not do the rest of BarBri crap cause it drains my soul -- even the lectures have become hard to get through but I'm too scared to not watch them).
Wow, that is a lot of studying each day. Is everyone else studying as much as OP? I'm doing Themis, and only Themis. That's about 6 hours a day on weekdays. All my law school classmates I talk to are doing about the same... Should I be studying more?
I am spending 8-9 hours per day doing Barbri and supplementing with Adaptibar (shooting for 30 Q/day). I am spending upwards of 45 hrs per week and already about a day behind Barbri's schedule. I kind of wish I went with Themis, since it seems more manageable. Otoh, I do feel like I am learning the material. I am not worried about memorization, yet. I am making short outlines after each subject, which takes me almost as long as watching the videos do, but it is how I learn.

uvalaw19 - I think if you are keeping up with Themis's schedule and feel like you are understanding, you are doing enough. I might add Adaptibar, but that should take no more than 90 minutes a day, even if you read all the answer explanations.

hastingsgal

New

Post by hastingsgal » Sat Jun 08, 2019 4:42 pm

265489164158 wrote:
uvalaw19 wrote:
I am spending 8-9 hours per day doing Barbri and supplementing with Adaptibar (shooting for 30 Q/day). I am spending upwards of 45 hrs per week and already about a day behind Barbri's schedule. I kind of wish I went with Themis, since it seems more manageable. Otoh, I do feel like I am learning the material. I am not worried about memorization, yet. I am making short outlines after each subject, which takes me almost as long as watching the videos do, but it is how I learn.

uvalaw19 - I think if you are keeping up with Themis's schedule and feel like you are understanding, you are doing enough. I might add Adaptibar, but that should take no more than 90 minutes a day, even if you read all the answer explanations.
Are you practicing essays? You should be practicing or at least outlining essays every day. You can do it open book at first before you memorize, but you gotta make sure you are recognizing the most important issues. That was my biggest pitfall when I took the bar the first time, I spent too much time on MBE and not enough on essays.

ipsares

New

Post by ipsares » Sat Jun 08, 2019 6:54 pm

uvalaw19 wrote:

I'm worried I'm not memorizing entire rule statements because I don't know how I'm going to write my essays without them so I'm brainstorming ways to throw that in somewhere... with all the free time haha. Also signed up for BarEssays to review my essays but haven't done a ton yet. Also committed to doing a full timed PT every Monday and yesterday's was god-awful for me. Definitely going to need to work on my strategy for those so I don't fail due to the PT. Ideally by the 7th time it all just comes together because I'm not planning to do anything extra lol.
    Themis + Adaptibar + Mary Basick - also trying to work ahead so i can finish all substantive material by end of june and have all of july to practice and memorize. I don't understand how "save" memorization till later because they are afraid to forget. its too many subjects! I'm trying to memorize and integrate now.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

superzhouya

New

Post by superzhouya » Sun Jun 09, 2019 3:50 am

I'm using Barbri now but I heard their questions is slightly different than the real MBE.

So, shall I use Adaptibar instead of Barbri books, or just stick to Barbri?

And Barbri handout for Essay part is so thick, I don't think anyone could memorize that, any suggestion for the Essay? My friend told me Smartbarpre which I haven't heard. I heard of Critical Pass, but they only provide MBE and MEE cards.

nappingwolf

New

Post by nappingwolf » Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:50 pm

I’m still waiting for my admission ticket...anyone know how late these usually get done? Wondering if I should call or wait a little longer.

lawlady4999

New

Post by lawlady4999 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:36 pm

I didn’t receive my admission ticket yet either so I contacted CalBar today. They told me they are still reviewing thousands of applications and the process will take some time.

2k16L1

New

Post by 2k16L1 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:17 pm

lawlady4999 wrote:I didn’t receive my admission ticket yet either so I contacted CalBar today. They told me they are still reviewing thousands of applications and the process will take some time.
    Thanks, I'm on the same boat. Interesting since I applied within 10 minutes of registration opening up.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

nappingwolf

New

Post by nappingwolf » Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:26 am

lawlady4999 wrote:I didn’t receive my admission ticket yet either so I contacted CalBar today. They told me they are still reviewing thousands of applications and the process will take some time.
    Thanks!

numb3r4

New

Post by numb3r4 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:56 am

ipsares wrote:
      uvalaw19 wrote:

Themis + Adaptibar + Mary Basick - also trying to work ahead so i can finish all substantive material by end of june and have all of july to practice and memorize. I don't understand how "save" memorization till later because they are afraid to forget. its too many subjects! I'm trying to memorize and integrate now.
      I'm definitely trying to memorize stuff now (thus reviewing Critical Pass cards every day + writing out by hand any blacklaw rules I didn't truly know during my adaptibar questions for any answer A-D). I'm just not sitting down and memorizing entire perfect rule statements because my understanding for the essays is that you just have to know the law moreso than the exact/precise wording of the rules. And then obviously analyze it well.

In re: "that's a lot of studying", keep in mind I'm basically ignoring BarBri stuff outside of the lectures. I actually just got a message saying I'm really behind and asking "do I need help?" I just am committing to a style that works for me otherwise I'll end up either doing nothing and/or sitting there not really absorbing the information. My last 3 weeks will likely be memorizing Mary Basick's "attack outlines" and hoping I know enough past that to apply the information to the essays.

P.S. also called CalBar and the woman said to not worry about it but it still made me feel better haha

hastingsgal

New

Post by hastingsgal » Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:02 pm

numb3r4 wrote:
      ipsares wrote:
        uvalaw19 wrote:

I'm definitely trying to memorize stuff now (thus reviewing Critical Pass cards every day + writing out by hand any blacklaw rules I didn't truly know during my adaptibar questions for any answer A-D). I'm just not sitting down and memorizing entire perfect rule statements because my understanding for the essays is that you just have to know the law moreso than the exact/precise wording of the rules. And then obviously analyze it well.

In re: "that's a lot of studying", keep in mind I'm basically ignoring BarBri stuff outside of the lectures. I actually just got a message saying I'm really behind and asking "do I need help?" I just am committing to a style that works for me otherwise I'll end up either doing nothing and/or sitting there not really absorbing the information. My last 3 weeks will likely be memorizing Mary Basick's "attack outlines" and hoping I know enough past that to apply the information to the essays.

P.S. also called CalBar and the woman said to not worry about it but it still made me feel better haha
        I think you shouldn't focus too much on memorizing now because you will forget the material later. You definitely should at least outline 1 or 2 essays a day to see if you are at least recognizing the important issues you need to get a 65+. The way I did it last Feb (which was by second but successful time) is that I made sure to practice a minimum of 30 mbes a day and outline or write 1 essay a day (usually more). Of course I wasn't going to lecture this time around. I stuck with Adabtibar and BarEssays to practice mbe and essays. As I went along I wrote down important rule statements on flashcards. The last two weeks I spent HARD memorizing through the flashcards. For the rule statements, I would look at the essays that scored 65-80 on baressays and copy the rule statement I liked on my flashcards (assuming the law was correct). The last two weeks I went through the flashcards over and over and over.

PLG

New

Post by PLG » Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:59 pm

Hello
        Anyone taking barsecrets please message me. Thanks :D

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

nrand001

New

Re: Cal Bar July 2019

Post by nrand001 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:43 pm

265489164158 wrote:
        nrand001 wrote:You should receive confirmation of registration within a few days. Check out cal bar bible's study materials for crunch time. It's money!
        Mods, nrand is at it again.
        it's an older post bro....relax.

Pema

New

Post by Pema » Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:54 pm

Bar prep for repeaters - people say to do something different. If most study the law and practice mbe's, essays and PT's, how can they do something different? I understand doing the same or more, but not different. Does passing really require a drastic change in approach? Thanks.

a male human

Gold

Post by a male human » Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:09 pm

Pema wrote:Bar prep for repeaters - people say to do something different. If most study the law and practice mbe's, essays and PT's, how can they do something different? I understand doing the same or more, but not different. Does passing really require a drastic change in approach? Thanks.
        - Managing your mental and emotional state (this is half of the exam but some tend to "freak out" and get overwhelmed more than others)
        - Giving yourself enough time and concentrated effort to learn the material
        - MBE (and in general): Are you trying to proactively improve your worst subjects, or are you trying to play with your favorite subjects or go for a straight 65-70% overall win rate? Are you at least a majority of your practice questions from past exams?
        - Essays: Can you identify all the relevant issues? Are you memorizing (and using) not just the rules... but also your understanding of how to use the rules and ALSO THE ISSUES? Can you IRAC properly?

BTW, most people don't study the law and practice. They use memorization as a safe space. You'll want to learn the law by example, instead of by theory, especially if you're working full-time.

maureenwct

New

Post by maureenwct » Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:04 pm

Repeater here, and an attorney repeater at that.

I am literally writing out essays again and again this time. I have noticed that I am missing fewer issues, and relying on what I have seen in previous essays to write out the current responses rather than my 'knowledge as a lawyer' FWIW. When I don't know the rule, I write it out numerous times - and keep a notebook of 'missed rules' which I carry with me.... :D

I do see the gaps in my knowledge from this go around - I really knew CommProp/Wills well (got a 75 on that essay) but was clueless for the PR rules (got a 55 there). I am literally memorizing how I would start most topics so I don't need to think of introductions but can just type from memory. The last go around there was only so much my brain seemed to handle in the days I tried to refresh it with knowledge from 30 years ago.

I am also working on my typing speed and have picked it up.

I noticed that the Bassick essay for Community Property from 1997 really lined up with the issues in the 2/2019 Community Property one!

I am consoled by the knowledge that I didn't fail by much the last time, and hopefully that I can cover that ground this time.

Got my positive moral character determination today as well. :D

Good luck to all.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
        Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”