New NCBE Study Aid Platform - Overlap with Barmax for MBEs? Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
lady_gaga

New

New NCBE Study Aid Platform - Overlap with Barmax for MBEs?

Post by lady_gaga » Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:16 pm

http://www.ncbex.org/study-aids/

^ that is what is now available. I'm interested in the 325 practice questions for $125 - but it's unclear whether these have been released elsewhere and whether they would be a part of what I already have with Barmax. Barmax comes with the 4 OPE's and I've just confirmed with Barmax that the explanations for those questions are written by the NCBE, not Barmax so that's helpful.

Looking for any info on the 325 practice questions - are these new? unreleased?

Also looking for any general information on the new platform if anyone has it yet.

Thanks in advance!

Fox_85

New

Re: New NCBE Study Aid Platform - Overlap with Barmax for MBEs?

Post by Fox_85 » Tue Mar 26, 2019 3:54 pm

I bought the whole thing ("Everything package"). I'm really glad that I did because the topics listed are helping me focus my studying so I'm not just getting mediocre familiarity with all topics, I can get SME on the stuff that will be tested. As other folks have said in other threads (Smiddywesson, and SilvermanBarPrep come to mind) it doesn't get much more obvious than NCBE telling us that this is what we need to study to do well. I'm taking the hint. Supplementing with other stuff, of course, but I count it as $250 very well spent.

SoScrewed6

New

Post by SoScrewed6 » Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:15 pm

I was about to buy Adaptibar (already have Themis) and saw that the NCBE was about to come out with their own platform-thing. I kind of had my mind obsessed with Adaptibar (read way too much about it and am freaking out about the MBE) so I did an online chat with them and asked them about the new NCBE platform. The person said this:

"Thank you for asking. If the NCBE releases new questions on or after March 25th, we will get rights and implement them in Adaptibar's program almost immediately. If they release those questions at the end of March, they should easily be integrated before July."

So take that for what it's worth. I'd imagine Barmax and any other program that has licensing rights to the NCBE questions would be similar to Adaptibar in having access to the questions pretty quickly.

I couldn't really figure out if the NCBE actually released any "new" questions or if this is just their way to make more money off us. I also bought the Strategies and Tactics book (used on Amazon) so I can start reading over it - but plan on buying the 7th Edition that they're releasing in late May that will cover some of the new Civ Pro questions.

FutureLawyer2

New

Post by FutureLawyer2 » Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:19 pm

Smart move. Please make sure you also purchase critical pass flashcards. I used them extensively for the recent February bar exam and they were extremely helpful for purposes of the multiple choice as well as the essay portions.
[External link redacted]

Best of luck.
Last edited by QContinuum on Sun Jun 16, 2019 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Edited to redact advertisements and external links.

SilvermanBarPrep

Bronze

Post by SilvermanBarPrep » Wed Mar 27, 2019 11:46 am

I've started to dig into it myself. I'd certainly recommend it as a study tool but I don't think we're looking at new questions right now. It looks like the benefit is in the organization of the material. I don't know that people who already had the 4 OPE exams and the MBE Study guide will see many (or any) new questions right now, and yet there are some differences in the way the material is organized that can certainly help people who are studying. Hopefully, more to come!

Sean (Silverman Bar Exam Tutoring)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

JDJM6215

New

Post by JDJM6215 » Thu Mar 28, 2019 12:29 pm

123 days to the next bar exam!

I recommend BOTH the NCBE Study Aid Platform AND Adaptibar.

I used ADAPTIBAR for the July 2018 and February 2019 CA test administration.
My July MBE SCALED score was 1422 after I averaged only 63% on Adaptibar. I completed 1984 questions.

I’m waiting for the Feb. results release on May 17th. I averaged 73% on Adaptibar, I completed 3350 questions (I hope I never know my scaled score). I am going to purchase both Adaptibar and the NCBE, if I failed on May 18th. 123 days is not a lot of time before the next bar exam to know what is needed to pass the exam. Emerson stated in his released videos that you need to know 6000 rules to pass this exam, although others here will disagree with him and me in needing to know that much, I'm a firm believer that you need to really know the law in order to analyze it well on test day. Emerson's lectures are free online for everyone and are pretty good in explaining what the bar examiners expect in CA. So while I wait, I am currently brushing up my rule statements and using the S&T kindle version for MPQs.

If you send me your e-mail, I can forward to Adaptibar so you can receive $30 discount code.

You will receive an email from me along with a $30 discount code.

Smiddywesson

Bronze

Post by Smiddywesson » Thu Mar 28, 2019 3:50 pm

SoScrewed6 wrote:I was about to buy Adaptibar (already have Themis) and saw that the NCBE was about to come out with their own platform-thing. I kind of had my mind obsessed with Adaptibar (read way too much about it and am freaking out about the MBE) so I did an online chat with them and asked them about the new NCBE platform. The person said this:

"Thank you for asking. If the NCBE releases new questions on or after March 25th, we will get rights and implement them in Adaptibar's program almost immediately. If they release those questions at the end of March, they should easily be integrated before July."

So take that for what it's worth. I'd imagine Barmax and any other program that has licensing rights to the NCBE questions would be similar to Adaptibar in having access to the questions pretty quickly.

I couldn't really figure out if the NCBE actually released any "new" questions or if this is just their way to make more money off us. I also bought the Strategies and Tactics book (used on Amazon) so I can start reading over it - but plan on buying the 7th Edition that they're releasing in late May that will cover some of the new Civ Pro questions.
I think the issue of the NCBE releasing new questions in their online learning platform is off the mark. I never considered the existing four OPE Exams or the Study Aids as representative of the actual questions on the test. Some people found them more difficult, I thought they were a lot easier than the test. The real take-away here is I think the four OPE Exams are offered are representative of the RULES that are being tested, not the question form. Know those rules inside out and you have a much better chance of survival on those tricky equator questions. I haven't had the time to compare the subject matter outlines with past revisions of the OPE Exams, but my guess is they revise the practice tests as the subject matter outline drifts. What is tested slowly changes over time.

As for Adaptibar, they offer the OPE Exams, the Study Aids, and the old questions that are representative of the easy level and mid level questions on the MBE. You'll have to go to Barbri or Kaplan for the really hard stuff, and that's 60 questions, which is a tad over a third of the test. You have to also understand that it takes many attempts to write and validate an equator, so it's likely well over a half of the pretest questions are going to be frigging outrageously difficult too. This is why perfectly competent examinees walk out of the test feeling like they were gang raped. It's normal, 72.5 or more questions out of 200 are designed that way. I felt that way too, I figured this out after the test. :lol:

Provided you have the money, Adaptibar offers several intangibles that are definitely helpful. Once you get over 2000 questions, you become very competent, at least at the easy and middle level questions. That's when you start working on time management. I was somewhere at 2600 and 80% success rate. That's when I took a hard look at time management. I was finishing the test in two hours and made myself slow down. I also made myself read all the answers, even when I thought I knew the answer. BOOM, I finished my prep with a solid 91%-94%. You can do this stuff yourself with a spread sheet, but it takes time and let's face it, time management during prep is equally critical as time management during the test. It also keeps stats for how you are doing in each subject and sub-topic. Believe me, you will back slide as you progress. Watching Torts go from the low 90s down into a 68% success rate can be terrifying, but after a few thousand questions you take it for normal.

Another issue is anxiety. I can't tell you how helpful it was to see other examinees struggle. :twisted: It helps to go to sleep at night when you are stuck at 68% but everyone else in your state or nationwide is stuck in the high 50s. Confidence is extremely important on this test. For example, my computer melted down because of a short in my touchpad, I could barely cut and paste and my cursor jumped to random points without warning. It was like a nightmare during law school. If it wasn't for Adaptibar, I might have just walked out of the room, however I was scoring so high on practice MBEs, I figured I still had a chance. April 11th will tell.

Anyway, I'm sure BarMax does the same thing. However I get upset when people who don't know any better bad mouth the Barbri questions as too hard, or the released questions as too easy. You need both, they are perfect for the parts of the test they address. Yes, the law changes, and the format of the questions change, but the examiners are using the same tricks they've used for 40 years, and they are contained in the old released questions.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”