NY February 2019 Group Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
FutureLawyer2

New

NY February 2019 Group

Post by FutureLawyer2 » Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:27 pm

I wanted to start a thread for those that took the recent February 2019 - UBE examination.

CaYLaw

New

Re: NY February 2019 Group

Post by CaYLaw » Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:15 pm

Based on the timeline of when the scores have been released the last few years, I am predicting that we should be notified of our bar exam results either April 22, 2019 (Monday evening timeframe) or April 23, 2019 (Tuesday morning), with the public release likely being the Wednesday. The reason I doubt that it will not be the last weekend of April is because NY now administers the UBE and it last released results during the month of May back in 2013.

The anticipation and anxiety is like nothing I have experienced so far. Good luck to all trying to maintain their sanity during this stressful period.
The wait continues. . . .

JTIII

New

Post by JTIII » Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:36 pm

Woof. The wait is really tough. Hang in there, all.

FutureLawyer2

New

Post by FutureLawyer2 » Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:00 am

Yea I am also super stressing. I mean only 40 percent pass the February ny ube exam (as per last years stats) and even though that percentage needs to be analyzed with a grain of sale it still spooks me.

John---

New

Post by John--- » Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:22 am

FutureLawyer2 wrote:Yea I am also super stressing. I mean only 40 percent pass the February ny ube exam (as per last years stats) and even though that percentage needs to be analyzed with a grain of sale it still spooks me.

Wasn't aware of that. I checked why, and found out It is because of that damm curve (It is tougher in February). Also, I don't understand why it takes so long for them to grade us and release the scores...this is not rocket science. I feel this bar taking process is so inhumane and for no reason.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

TheJuryMustDie

Bronze

Post by TheJuryMustDie » Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:30 pm

FutureLawyer2 wrote:Yea I am also super stressing. I mean only 40 percent pass the February ny ube exam (as per last years stats) and even though that percentage needs to be analyzed with a grain of sale it still spooks me.
It's actually a grim 38%! :shock:

espressounius

New

Post by espressounius » Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:15 pm

Every night before I doze off, in my head I go over and over the MEEs and my responses to them. Did I miss that issue. Did I get that completely out of whack? I am trying to remember what I wrote, and this makes me experience the event in my head over and over again. I think I am psychologically decompensating because of this. Emotional distress my mistress.

John---

New

Post by John--- » Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:05 pm

Does anybody know if our essays will be graded by attorneys or not? If yes, are they graded by only one or two attorneys? Trying to understand more about this grading process for NY. California discloses everything on their website, but I cannot find a similar section on the NY bar website.

dasani13

Silver

Post by dasani13 » Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:41 pm

John--- wrote:

Wasn't aware of that. I checked why, and found out It is because of that damm curve (It is tougher in February). Also, I don't understand why it takes so long for them to grade us and release the scores...this is not rocket science. I feel this bar taking process is so inhumane and for no reason.
The reason only ~40% pass in February is not because of the slightly tougher February curve.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

John---

New

Post by John--- » Tue Mar 12, 2019 3:03 pm

dasani13 wrote:
John--- wrote:

The reason only ~40% pass in February is not because of the slightly tougher February curve.
Well, people score worse in the February bar (raw score) so this brings the curve down.So the reason the curve is lower for February is because the applicants aren't just as prepared as the July applicants (that are usually studying full time). Anyway, I think, one thing is for sure: The same raw score in July is likely to be higher if compared to February when they scale it. The stronger pool of more prepared applicants in July brings everybody's number up.

John---

New

Post by John--- » Tue Mar 12, 2019 3:06 pm

John--- wrote:
dasani13 wrote:
John--- wrote:

Well, people score worse in the February bar (raw score) so this brings the curve down.So the reason the curve is lower for February is because the applicants aren't just as prepared as the July applicants (that are usually studying full time). Anyway, I think, one thing is for sure: The same raw score in July is likely to be higher if compared to February when they scale it. The stronger pool of more prepared applicants in July brings everybody's number up.

And it seems like a significant number of people pass by a few points. So a slightly tougher curve, does have an impact in the overall pass rate.

dasani13

Silver

Post by dasani13 » Tue Mar 12, 2019 3:12 pm

John--- wrote:
John--- wrote:
dasani13 wrote:
John--- wrote:

And it seems like a significant number of people pass by a few points. So a slightly tougher curve, does have an impact in the overall pass rate.
Yes yes, I see your point. I was just clarifying because your statement made it seem that the passage rate for February is ~40% because of the slightly tougher February curve. That would be crazy lol.

FutureLawyer2

New

Post by FutureLawyer2 » Tue Mar 12, 2019 3:44 pm

I wonder if the poorer passage rate is more due to a lower MBE or due to a lower written portion, what you guys think?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

dasani13

Silver

Post by dasani13 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:52 am

FutureLawyer2 wrote:I wonder if the poorer passage rate is more due to a lower MBE or due to a lower written portion, what you guys think?
hmm not sure about an overall pattern, but to me, this exam's MBE felt tougher than July's, while the MEE/MPT felt more manageable.

FutureLawyer2

New

Post by FutureLawyer2 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:28 am

I hear you.

For me, the MBE was not necessarily hard or easy. I just felt for many of the questions - I gave my best answer and did not feel like I slammed dunked them, but it is possible and I hope that I still did well.

The thing that I felt strange was there were many MBE topics that I did not see on the exam at all and some concepts came up multiple times.

Overall felt like a major curveball.

Smiddywesson

Bronze

Post by Smiddywesson » Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:40 pm

espressounius wrote:Every night before I doze off, in my head I go over and over the MEEs and my responses to them. Did I miss that issue. Did I get that completely out of whack? I am trying to remember what I wrote, and this makes me experience the event in my head over and over again. I think I am psychologically decompensating because of this. Emotional distress my mistress.
My computer was so glitched on essay day that my chances of passing were seriously compromised.
I left day two thinking I did real well on the MBE. What's my fate? Who knows, I'll just have to wait.
Fortunately, I was better prepared for the wait then you. I refused to write down anything, intentionally didn't think about it, and drank heavy for three days. Then I couldn't look up anything because I couldn't remember the questions, thereby preventing me from tormenting myself. Your mind doesn't remember the good, only the bad, therefore you have the dreads. You probably did fine. If you are worried, spend a lot of time formulating a plan of attack for July. I am doing just that. It's good therapy.

I don't want to take the test again, but if I do, I'm going to crush it. 8)

Smiddywesson

Bronze

Post by Smiddywesson » Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:53 pm

FutureLawyer2 wrote:I hear you.

For me, the MBE was not necessarily hard or easy. I just felt for many of the questions - I gave my best answer and did not feel like I slammed dunked them, but it is possible and I hope that I still did well.

The thing that I felt strange was there were many MBE topics that I did not see on the exam at all and some concepts came up multiple times.

Overall felt like a major curveball.
Yes, everything has changed in the MBE. They've shortened the fact patterns and moved a lot of the complexity into the answers. I usually spend about 80% of my time in the fact pattern, this time it was at least half the time puzzling out the answers. Many of the answers were very close to one another. The non-scored questions were also tough. I have guessed they were non-scored because I've never run across any complaints about them in the past. There were a lot of questions where you didn't know what subject they were testing until you got to the answers, and I swear there were cross subject questions. It's hard to remember. There were some freebies, some of these were almost verbatum to the old released questions. Still, it was tough. I usually guess on one or two per 100 set, and I guessed on five for a total of ten. I should be happy, but being totally stumped isn't the problem. My fate will rest on how well I chose between two seemingly correct answers.

"The thing that I felt strange was there were many MBE topics that I did not see on the exam at all and some concepts came up multiple times."

Yes, knowing what not to study has become a necessary art form. A lot of the old materials are being phased out. Anyone considering a run at July should take a red magic market to their outlines based on the subject matter outline released by the NCBE. Things like RAP and Riparian Rights are pretty much dead.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Smiddywesson

Bronze

Post by Smiddywesson » Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:57 pm

dasani13 wrote:
FutureLawyer2 wrote:I wonder if the poorer passage rate is more due to a lower MBE or due to a lower written portion, what you guys think?
hmm not sure about an overall pattern, but to me, this exam's MBE felt tougher than July's, while the MEE/MPT felt more manageable.
The lower MBE rates are a fact. I'm not sure about the essays but I'd wager they are falling too based on the NCBE observation that they are correlated within 1-4 points. My personal observation is either these essays were ridiculously straightforward, or they went over my head and I missed a boatload of issues.

Smiddywesson

Bronze

Post by Smiddywesson » Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:01 pm

Being in a dumb group doesn't make you dumb. Some of those people will never pass, and some could pass but they just didn't do the work. Taking the test in February might shave off some of the scaled points you otherwise might have gotten, but the overall failure rate has no other effect on you. If you did the work and are like most examinees in July, you will pass equally as well in February. (Unless you used a gliched computer like me, then you'd be sweating it out :x )

John---

New

Post by John--- » Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:40 pm

Did you guys get an email today from the NY bar explaining the admission process? It could very well be already the results... I don't know why it takes so long...

ku1185

Bronze

Post by ku1185 » Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:00 am

John--- wrote:Did you guys get an email today from the NY bar explaining the admission process? It could very well be already the results... I don't know why it takes so long...
I got this email. Why are they sending me instructions on admissions if I didn't pass, amirite? :wink:

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

FutureLawyer2

New

Post by FutureLawyer2 » Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:52 am

I think I received the same email a week ago.

purehope

New

Post by purehope » Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:03 am

I have not received that email yet! :shock: does this means I didn’t pass? I’m a repeater and in July 2018 I received the email 2 weeks after my friends... obviously, I didn’t pass them and they did... now I’m freaking out :roll:

TheJuryMustDie

Bronze

Post by TheJuryMustDie » Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:11 am

FutureLawyer2 wrote:I think I received the same email a week ago.
A week ago? :shock: That would be barely a week after the exam?

FutureLawyer2

New

Post by FutureLawyer2 » Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:27 am

It appears to be an automated email. I do not understand why there would be any reason to look into it as meaning something more or less in terms of passing. I see it as a generic email, but again I have no idea.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”