Advice for MBE memorization

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
boblawlawblog

New

Advice for MBE memorization

Postby boblawlawblog » Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:45 am

I am having a heck of a time with MBE prep. I can remember General Law for Essays. I just can't handle the MBE's. This will be my fourth bar exam sitting, and every sitting my MBE score is roughly 60%. In practice, my MBE score is always roughly 60%. However, lately that score has fallen to about 50-55%, and the more questions I do, the more it falls. I am TERRIFIED. There is one month between me and this test, and I don't know what to do with my time. I get exhausted reading outlines, and not much sticks. Even if I do, the questions always trip me up and despite being able to narrow down the answers to two choices, I never pick the right one of the two. I am looking for any advice on how to improve.

So far, I've used Adaptibar (currently sitting at a 57% average), and Strategies and Tactics.

Do flashcards really help with MBE that much? If so, is critical pass really that worth it? I looked at a deck once, and it's insane how many cards there are. How can anyone truly memorize all that stuff?

What worked for you?

SilvermanBarPrep

Partner

Re: Advice for MBE memorization

Postby SilvermanBarPrep » Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:53 pm

I think with one month left, you should be learning most of the law from the practice questions you're working on. By working through questions you're both working on the skills required to do well on the MBE, but you're also learning the substantive law tested in each question. And if you get a question wrong, it's merely an opportunity to learn some more law.

It's different when there is one month left as opposed to, say, 2.5 months. Pouring over outlines (especially if you don't feel you're gaining from that) isn't your best strategy at the moment.

Sean (Silverman Bar Exam Tutoring)

Lancair

New

Postby Lancair » Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:26 am

+1 - sample questions and lots of 'em are the glue that makes them stick for me. So much of the MBE is about application and you can't learn application by reading an outline.

justanotheruser

Bronze

Postby justanotheruser » Thu Jan 31, 2019 1:03 am

boblawlawblog wrote:So far, I've used Adaptibar (currently sitting at a 57% average), and Strategies and Tactics.

Do flashcards really help with MBE that much? If so, is critical pass really that worth it? I looked at a deck once, and it's insane how many cards there are. How can anyone truly memorize all that stuff?

What worked for you?

Passed the CA bar exam after failing 5 times. MBEs were almost always a strength. To me, the key was prioritizing practice problems over *pure* memorization. The bar doesn't test you on whether you can recall specific rules. It tests whether you can apply and detect the nuances of rules in the context of fact patterns. Doing actual problems, reviewing why your answer was wrong (or right if you got lucky with a guess), and seeing how they're trying to trick you is, I think, the best way to prepare. Good luck!

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum�