Timing for Foreign Eligibility Equation New York Bar Exam

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Achiever95

New

Timing for Foreign Eligibility Equation New York Bar Exam

Postby Achiever95 » Sat Jan 19, 2019 4:05 pm

Hi guys

I registered for the FEB 2019 NY exam and I am busy preparing. I am a foreign trained attorney from a common law jurisdiction, my previous classmates who studied the same degree have been approved to write the exam without an LLM. I think I will receive the same approval.

My issue pertains to timing, as Feb is the best time for me to write this exam. July is crazy at work and I know I won't have the time. I registered for the bar exam without receiving approval from the bar examiners, a risk I know, but I have heard stories of approval being obtained in as little as 2 weeks. I also heard that the bar examiners can expedite applications for those who have already registered for the bar exam. I have received the email that they have started considering my application, but now I am concerned that it might not be approved in time seeing that they said the process can take as long as 6 months.

Should I continue studying, very motivated at the moment or do you think there is a very real risk that my approval won't be given in time. Should I call the NY bar examiners to follow up? Can I ask them to expedite without sounding rude? Normally I would ask them to this? Is there anyone with experience in this area who can provide a little input? Thanks

Lancair

New

Re: Timing for Foreign Eligibility Equation New York Bar Exam

Postby Lancair » Sun Jan 20, 2019 2:05 am

Achiever95 wrote:Hi guys

I registered for the FEB 2019 NY exam and I am busy preparing. I am a foreign trained attorney from a common law jurisdiction, my previous classmates who studied the same degree have been approved to write the exam without an LLM. I think I will receive the same approval.

My issue pertains to timing, as Feb is the best time for me to write this exam. July is crazy at work and I know I won't have the time. I registered for the bar exam without receiving approval from the bar examiners, a risk I know, but I have heard stories of approval being obtained in as little as 2 weeks. I also heard that the bar examiners can expedite applications for those who have already registered for the bar exam. I have received the email that they have started considering my application, but now I am concerned that it might not be approved in time seeing that they said the process can take as long as 6 months.

Should I continue studying, very motivated at the moment or do you think there is a very real risk that my approval won't be given in time. Should I call the NY bar examiners to follow up? Can I ask them to expedite without sounding rude? Normally I would ask them to this? Is there anyone with experience in this area who can provide a little input? Thanks

Not sure if they work harder when it gets closer to bar exam time, but BOLE received all my documents on 26 April 2018 and I got my approval on 18 August. My girlfriend sent her stuff in a week or two later and got approval around the same time. We were both straightforward cases: degrees from "pre-approved" Australian law schools, which I understand are pretty much the quickest approvals.

I have called BOLE a couple of times. No harm in asking, but I expect the answer they will give you is "the website says like 300 times you need to give us 6 months".

Achiever95

New

Re: Timing for Foreign Eligibility Equation New York Bar Exam

Postby Achiever95 » Sat Feb 02, 2019 12:42 pm

Just updating that I got my approval to write in FEB. So, onwards with studying!!! And I honestly don't have the time, money or energy to write this DAMN exam more than once , so I have to pass. Good luck to all FEB NY exam takers!!!

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum�