DC Bar Exam and the shutdown? Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
supermario26

New

DC Bar Exam and the shutdown?

Post by supermario26 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:04 pm

Hey. I'm new here. Just thought this might be a good place to ask a bunch of lawyers and law students. Sorry I posted this in the wrong forum the first time around and was directed to this one.

I logged on to the DC Bar Examiner's page today and saw this message:

1/11/2019 Based on all available information at this time, we are still planning to administer the February 2019 bar examination as scheduled. However, we are closely monitoring any new developments with the federal government shutdown; and the status of the scheduled exam could change. We strongly encourage that prospective examinees monitor this webpage for any changes in plans to administer the February 2019 bar exam. We understand and apologize for the inconveniences that this situation presents, but we will be updating our website with any new information as we continue to learn more about the status of our operations.

Is there a realistic chance that the exam might be canceled? Or would there be a way to resolve this so that the February exam registrants can still sit for the exam if the shutdown continues?

wwwcol

Bronze

Re: DC Bar Exam and the shutdown?

Post by wwwcol » Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:58 pm

Given that none of the other admissions stuff is happening - no swearings-in, no C&F reviews - it seems like the chance of no February exam is definitely “realistic,” if not likely. You might see if it’s not too late to register to sit for another state.

MariAlex

New

Post by MariAlex » Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:49 pm

I don’t know but even the thought that it won’t happen is making it very hard to study for the DC bar....

Could they move us to Maryland???

Npret

Gold

Post by Npret » Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:37 pm

MariAlex wrote:I don’t know but even the thought that it won’t happen is making it very hard to study for the DC bar....

Could they move us to Maryland???
Who would do that? I’m not certain who runs the DC bar exam but I would try to find out.

SaulGoodman1984

New

Post by SaulGoodman1984 » Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:35 pm

This is an urgent issue that needs to be addressed. There are ongoing discussions with NCBE (National Conference of Board Examiners who creates the exam) and the various UBE states about this issue to possibly accommodate test-takers in DC who will be impacted. Unfortunately, NCBE is not responding quick enough or providing any helpful guidance.

The president of NCBE is Judith Gundersen (jgundersen@ncbex.org)

I'd consider emailing her. Obviously, NCBE was in touch with NJ given that state is allowing NJ residents taking the exam in DC to switch to NJ. What about non-NJ residents?? Ms. Gundersen needs to contact MD, NY and other close by UBE states to allow DC test-takers to sit there, as well as provide clarity to all DC test-takers. Otherwise, how can a DC test-taker focus on studying?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

supermario26

New

Post by supermario26 » Sat Jan 19, 2019 7:16 am

I'm fortunate to be a New Jersey resident. I'm preparing the NJ application over the weekend and waiting for this "special announcement" by the WH tomorrow. Even if the shutdown ends, will there be enough time to process applications? The NJ deadline is Wednesday at 4:30 PM and the fee is $675. Should I pull the trigger and just sign up as an insurance policy? I just can't imagine the DC exam being outright canceled.

Npret

Gold

Post by Npret » Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:31 am

SaulGoodman1984 wrote:This is an urgent issue that needs to be addressed. There are ongoing discussions with NCBE (National Conference of Board Examiners who creates the exam) and the various UBE states about this issue to possibly accommodate test-takers in DC who will be impacted. Unfortunately, NCBE is not responding quick enough or providing any helpful guidance.

The president of NCBE is Judith Gundersen (jgundersen@ncbex.org)

I'd consider emailing her. Obviously, NCBE was in touch with NJ given that state is allowing NJ residents taking the exam in DC to switch to NJ. What about non-NJ residents?? Ms. Gundersen needs to contact MD, NY and other close by UBE states to allow DC test-takers to sit there, as well as provide clarity to all DC test-takers. Otherwise, how can a DC test-taker focus on studying?
Are you sure there is time to accommodate new test takers? I thought the registration process and assigning a location takes time.

bob311

Bronze

Post by bob311 » Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:46 pm

As a note, moving to MD won't help yet, as MD is not a UBE state until July 2019. Feb in Maryland is still the state exam.

cns09d

New

Post by cns09d » Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:03 pm

When do you think they will make the call on whether to cancel it? Even if the shutdown ended this week would they still be able to process all of our applications in time to administer the exam? Regardless, I hope they will give February takers the option to defer their application to July if they want given the situation.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Dparhamlaw

New

Approved to take NYS yesterday

Post by Dparhamlaw » Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:15 am

I reached out to the executive director of NYS Bar Exam, and he approved me to take the NYS UBE given the government shutdown. He also stated they will post this opportunity on the website shortly.

gwlaw1991

New

Re: Approved to take NYS yesterday

Post by gwlaw1991 » Thu Jan 24, 2019 1:39 pm

Dparhamlaw wrote:I reached out to the executive director of NYS Bar Exam, and he approved me to take the NYS UBE given the government shutdown. He also stated they will post this opportunity on the website shortly.

Dparhamlaw do you have any NY connections or did the NY Bar approve you out of decency/kindness?

Nicolena.

Bronze

Post by Nicolena. » Thu Jan 24, 2019 2:48 pm

I went to law school in TN. I just received this email:

“The Supreme Court of Tennessee has granted a motion for the Board of Law Examiners to reopen applications for the February 2019 bar examination for the limited purpose of allowing examination applicants to the bar of District of Columbia to apply for examination and admission to the bar of Tennessee. We will be re-opening applications for the February 2019 Tennessee Bar Examination in Nashville exclusively to applicants who applied to sit for the February 2019 exam in D.C. Applications open at 9:00 a.m. tomorrow morning, January 25, 2019 and close February 6, 2019. The 70 seats that we have available will be filled on a first come, first served basis. This will not be courtesy seating, but will be an application for admission to the Tennessee bar; as such, applicants will be required to submit all required documentation to apply for admission in Tennessee along with proof of filing for the DC February 2019 exam. Instructions for the application will be on our website after 2:00 p.m. CST today.

Thank you,

Tennessee Board of Law Examiners”

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”