Preparing for MEE 30 minute vs CA 1 hour essays Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
legalese21

New

Preparing for MEE 30 minute vs CA 1 hour essays

Post by legalese21 » Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:16 pm

Sat for the CA bar and now taking the UBE and wanted to see if anyone had any tips for how to adjust to the writing format of the MEE. From my review of past MEEs, it seems that the analysis does not go as in depth as a CA essay. Is there a way to determine the amount of time that should be spent on a particular question within an MEE? Also, any insight as to how much time should be spent reading the fact pattern before writing the essay would be helpful. In CA they tell you to spend at least 10-15 minutes in the facts/ outline before answering.

Loquitur Res

New

Re: Preparing for MEE 30 minute vs CA 1 hour essays

Post by Loquitur Res » Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:01 pm

legalese21 wrote:Sat for the CA bar and now taking the UBE and wanted to see if anyone had any tips for how to adjust to the writing format of the MEE. From my review of past MEEs, it seems that the analysis does not go as in depth as a CA essay. Is there a way to determine the amount of time that should be spent on a particular question within an MEE? Also, any insight as to how much time should be spent reading the fact pattern before writing the essay would be helpful. In CA they tell you to spend at least 10-15 minutes in the facts/ outline before answering.
Took the UBE not CBX, but I was stressing big time about timing on the MEE during bar prep. I am a slow typer and was having a lot of trouble finishing practice essays in under 30 minutes.

What worked for me was to read the question prompts first, type up headers for each question prompt, then start typing up your answer as you read the facts. The question prompt should clue you in on the elements you should be looking for before you even read the facts. Often you can start outlining the elements before starting to read the facts. Then you can just insert the facts as you read. This should take you 10-15 minutes; spend the last 15-20 minutes to polish into a cohesive essay (e.i. pull your outline into full sentences).

Lots of practicing this method under timed conditions. Again, Im not a strong typer, so it getting the process down (making the organization, etc. second nature) was super important for me.

On the real thing, I ended up finishing the easy essays in under 20 minutes and had plenty of time to struggle through the harder ones (fucking mechanic's liens!) MEE score ended up being around 160.

legalese21

New

Post by legalese21 » Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:46 pm

Thank you so much for your tips! This method definitely seems like a good way to stay on top of the clock. I’m assuming that your method of typing out elements while reading facts is easier with specific numbered type essay promots rather than generic “what claims can plaintiff raise” prompts?

Loquitur Res

New

Post by Loquitur Res » Sun Jan 06, 2019 2:35 pm

legalese21 wrote:Thank you so much for your tips! This method definitely seems like a good way to stay on top of the clock. I’m assuming that your method of typing out elements while reading facts is easier with specific numbered type essay promots rather than generic “what claims can plaintiff raise” prompts?
Exactly. Though from what I remember, most essays had numbered prompts rather than generic "what claims?" prompts. If the prompt is truly generic, I would suggest reading a few lines up, it should give you an indication of what area of law you are dealing with (trusts, family law, torts, contracts, etc).

The key to saving time is being an "informed reader" when going over the fact pattern. Otherwise you are reading the facts, then the prompts, then having to go back over the facts a second time to apply them once you have identified the issues/elements. From my experience, having to go back over the facts used up way to much time.

SilvermanBarPrep

Bronze

Post by SilvermanBarPrep » Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:17 pm

The MEE essays are actually more like "short answer" questions than essays. In other words, they are disguised as essays but after the facts they ask very specific questions. For a test like the UBE that so many students across the Country now take, this is essential. The test has to be standardized (like the SAT/ACT/LSAT, etc.) and so the questions have to be specific and easy to grade.

So although you should write in IRAC form, just be sure to address the questions that they ask. They are very careful to create question sets in each essay that can be addressed in 30 minutes. Absolutely, a California essay would require a heavier analysis since they gave you 2x the amount of time to address the essay.

Sean (Silverman Bar Exam Tutoring)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

legalese21

New

Post by legalese21 » Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:35 pm

SilvermanBarPrep wrote:The MEE essays are actually more like "short answer" questions than essays. In other words, they are disguised as essays but after the facts they ask very specific questions. For a test like the UBE that so many students across the Country now take, this is essential. The test has to be standardized (like the SAT/ACT/LSAT, etc.) and so the questions have to be specific and easy to grade.

So although you should write in IRAC form, just be sure to address the questions that they ask. They are very careful to create question sets in each essay that can be addressed in 30 minutes. Absolutely, a California essay would require a heavier analysis since they gave you 2x the amount of time to address the essay.

Sean (Silverman Bar Exam Tutoring)
Thank you so much for this insight. This actually makes so much sense. Through my prep, I've noticed after writing out past MEEs that it seems to be the case that the specific calls usually target a specific element or specific rule of law (like an exception) instead of asking examinees to analyze every element etc. Would you say that these questions within an essay could be answered in 4-5 sentences?

SilvermanBarPrep

Bronze

Post by SilvermanBarPrep » Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:54 pm

Sure thing!

Calbears123

Bronze

Post by Calbears123 » Wed Jan 30, 2019 6:41 pm

FWIW I handwrote the NY UBE this past July and found I had just enough time...if I typed I would have probably felt like there was plenty of time available. The questions don’t take long to answer so long as you can pull from your memory most of the applicable rules.

Passed with I think a 156 on the MPT/MEE.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”