Bar Exam Prep and BigLaw Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
boblawlawblog

New

Bar Exam Prep and BigLaw

Post by boblawlawblog » Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:05 am

Folk, I failed the bar exam. But, I still have my job. Fortunately/unfortunately - I work for a big firm and have a billing minimum requirement.

I'm wondering if anyone had advice on how they managed to fit in bar prep with very demanding schedule. Anecdotal experience, advice, all of it will be helpful. I appreciate your time!

SilvermanBarPrep

Bronze

Re: Bar Exam Prep and BigLaw

Post by SilvermanBarPrep » Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:20 pm

Not uncommon for me to work with students who are working at very large firms while studying. Many are working in Miami law firms but quite a few in New York City and elsewhere. There is only one way: spending some time either before or after work (this is really a personal decision based upon when you think you'll be at your best), and essentially giving up your weekends entirely up until the exam. The weekends really are the key to the formula.

~Sean (Silverman Bar Exam Tutoring)

a male human

Gold

Re: Bar Exam Prep and BigLaw

Post by a male human » Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:43 am

I spoke to recent passers of the July California exam (40% pass rate). Two of them who had at least a full-time job and family responsibilities commented that time constraints forced them to get creative. It will really force you to ask whether what you're doing is helping you learn. I'll have parsed my notes from my convos with them in the near term, so feel free to check in w/ me in a few weeks for more details.

You don't have too much time, obviously, but maybe you don't need extra stuff like lectures and sitting there reading outlines -- things that will take you from 0 to 10. Learn the rules (and how the rules work) by solving exams and studying the answers -- things that will take you from 10 to 80. (The remaining 20 is luck.)

It'll be hard, but you'll get used to it. Good luck!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”