Failed the CA bar and I just got my results. Now what? Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
lexingtonhr

New

Re: Failed the CA bar and I just got my results. Now what?

Post by lexingtonhr » Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:05 am

nathan123 wrote:Sorry to hear that you did not pass.

For some people the MBE is intuitive. For me it was not, which is the reason why I decided to purchase the "Mastering the MBE" video add-on that Adaptibar offers (at a cost of course - believe it cost $99 to purchase, not really sure).

I took the July 2018 bar exam and passed, so I don't know how I did on the MBE. However, if I were a betting man I would bet that I performed very well on the actual MBE because of Adaptibar.

Something "clicked" for me after I watched the "Mastering the MBE," video. That video really taught me how to tackle MBE questions.

After watching that video, and doing 95% of the questions that Adaptibar offered (I averaged 73%-75% correct, can't really remember at this point but it was in that range%), I felt very confident going into the actual MBE.

The morning MBE session was a breeze for me, but the afternoon MBE session was brutal. However, even in the afternoon session I was able to narrow down most of my answer choices to 2 answers.

You did well on the MBE - 142 is an admirable score. However, if you can increase your score to 150s and 160s, you should be set to pass. This would take a lot of pressure off of you on the essays/PT (where there is the whole issue of subjective grading).

Good luck and keep your head up!
The videos were really that helpful? I averaged about 70% on Adaptibar and was confident going into the MBE's, but I ended up with a horrible score. I was mortified--still am. I have no idea what to do moving forward with the MBE practice.. if the videos were helpful to you, I might as well give them a try.

a male human

Gold

Re: Failed the CA bar and I just got my results. Now what?

Post by a male human » Tue Nov 27, 2018 6:46 pm

xonimi wrote:This was my first attempt. I used Barbri, Adaptibar, BarEssays, and Emmanuels (I bought this late so I didn’t use it much).

I think I did around 800 MBEs on Adaptibar, about 300 with Barbri and Emmanuel. I didn’t write out many essays but I issue spotted and reviewed plenty. My essays were the main reason I failed, especially the PT (see below for score breakdown).

I’m not sure what to do now. Should I try Barbri again? I don’t think I used Barbri the way I should have. I skipped over a lot of assignments because they seemed like a waste of time but maybe they weren’t. I think maybe if I had stuck with their schedule and did everything assigned in addition to working with the other supplements I had, I may have had a different outcome.

I’m only considering repeating them because its free and I need a set schedule. I’m not sure how I would schedule my days without a bar course. I wouldn't know what order to study each subject in and how many days to spend on each one. My hesitation for taking another course is that I don’t know if I can afford spending over $1000 again and possibly fail a second time.

I feel really lost and confused. I don’t know how to approach studying or even when to start. Any suggestions would be helpful. Thank you.

Essay 1: 60/50/55
Essay 2: 60/65/62.5
Essay 3: 65/65/65
Essay 4: 55/55/55
Essay 5: 75/70/72.5
PT: 55/55/55

Raw Written: 420.0
Scaled Written: 1403.5820
Scaled MBE: 1422.00

Total Scaled Score: 1412.7910
My thoughts about your concerns:

Barbri
Don't waste your time with Barbri lectures unless you really need a review of a specific subject or they are review videos of a practice exam or something. They will drain your time and energy, and you will forget 99% of it anyway.

Scheduling
I don't recommend blindly following any one set schedule. Barbri gives you one schedule to everyone, including to people with infinite time and no other responsibility whatsoever, to people who have full-time jobs, to people who have to take care of kids and family. Personally, this doesn't make sense.

Instead, I recommend creating your own flexible schedule that caters to your weaknesses and strengths (you can still take inspiration from existing schedules): https://www.makethisyourlasttime.com/ma ... -schedule/. Don't shy away from this. Spent an hour up front so that you know what to do every day. Clarity = productivity. Remember that Abe Lincoln ax quote?

MBE
You did pretty well on the MBE, so keep doing whatever you were doing. I highly recommend that you work through your copy of Emanuel's S&T cover to cover (yes, including questions you got right and explanations to all answer choices -- lots of great insights you can learn from). Keep working through Barbri questions too. I think you had a great mix of real and fake questions. If you decide to re-enroll in AdaptiBar, they give you a substantial discount for re-enrolling. $245. No strong rec one way or another about this.

PT
Do more! I'd say at least one per week. I like Tuesdays just because the written portion of the bar is also on Tuesday. Look at more model answers. This is one aspect of the bar where quantity > quality. You want to see how these assignments are put together. You can find plenty of practice MPTs (similar 90-min assignments) from links in this PT guide: https://www.dropbox.com/s/95q0aivag99b7 ... 6.pdf?dl=0

Sure, the PT is not a big part of your score, but don't let it be a submarine torpedo. Very common to ignore the PT until it bites you in the ass. There's plenty of room to improve from a 55.

Essays
Yours is a unique case where your scores vary very widely (20-pt range) while your MBE scores indicate a decent mastery over the law. You clearly know how to put together an essay, IRAC it clearly, etc. because you were able to score a 75. I think further firming up your understanding of the law for the MBE will help since there's a lot of overlap between MBE and essay subjects. You'll probably see three essay questions on MBE subjects. Working through the S&T will likely help. Probably continue using BarEssays too.

Hope this helps.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”