2019 February California Bar Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
a male human

Gold

Re: 2019 February California Bar

Post by a male human » Wed Nov 21, 2018 1:18 am

cheme2014 wrote:Not looking forward to doing this thing... :/

Also not sure if I should just pay for Themis (since they've incorporated the new rules) or just go the self-study route. (Not an immediate retaker so I don't qualify for Barbri's free retake.)
If only looking for the new PR rules, no need to pay for Themis. Here's a chart and some notes on the changes:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jckgktgpt9nbt ... t.pdf?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xlezvth1blxo2 ... s.htm?dl=0

RedGiant

Post by RedGiant » Wed Nov 21, 2018 1:31 am

Just bought themis for the ABA Member discount price. I already like the format waaaaaaaaaay better than Barbri--the bite size videos are great to get me back in the saddle. Nervous bc working and studying, but at least I'm in-house for a bit (on secondment) and have more time for that.

SnoopyDog

New

Post by SnoopyDog » Wed Nov 21, 2018 1:42 am

a male human wrote:
cheme2014 wrote:Not looking forward to doing this thing... :/

Also not sure if I should just pay for Themis (since they've incorporated the new rules) or just go the self-study route. (Not an immediate retaker so I don't qualify for Barbri's free retake.)
If only looking for the new PR rules, no need to pay for Themis. Here's a chart and some notes on the changes:

Thank you very much for this! I was going through the new rules on the Calbar site and it was driving me crazy doing it that way, lol.

scarletpiggy

New

Post by scarletpiggy » Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:36 pm

a male human, thank you. I'm using old Barbri books and I was concerned about PR. I was gonna study from the actual revision. You rock!

Your resource is helpful too, just from my experience though, model answers from Baressays.com are so wrong, I stopped using it. I showed some of them to my college professors/bar prep course professor and confirmed errors and missing issues and wasting time on non-issues, etc. I don't see the point of low-graded answers either. I got a free account from my college. I wouldn't pay for this site. I think the California bar essay book, Barbri essay book, and actual questions and answers are enough, knowing there are errors in the selected answers, of course. :D

barjamie8

New

Post by barjamie8 » Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:09 pm

FinallyPassedTheBar wrote:Adaptibar for MBE, BarEssays.com for essays, and Convisor mini-review book for black letter law. Aim for 2000 questions at +70% correct on Adaptibar.

That combo helped me pass the CBX after years of spinning my wheels.
I completely agree. I am a former repeater and posted something similar on another thread. You can get through this on your own with BarEssays/Adaptibar/Conviser mini. I thought that these are the three best resources and you can get all of them combined for something like $500. A big box review course is a total waste of money and the pass rates show it.

My schedule on my successful attempt was:

1) 50 MBEs a day on Adaptibar (keeping track of the ones I missed and reviewing the law in Conviser on all the issues I was obviously having problems with). I was getting 70%+ correct towards the end.

2) 1 full essay a day and outlining 1-2 essays a day - then compare my essay to both the real high and low scoring examples on BarEssays - this process was key because by looking at the differences in scores on the real graded essays you can see what issues are important, which issues are not important, how to structure certain types essays, and how not to structure essays. Eventually by pouring over the range of graded essays something clicked in my head and I understood what I needed to do. I simply did not get this from model answers or the free selected released ones which are obviously the top in the state and not anything I could ever write.

This can all be done by yourself and for very cheap. Of course you must be VERY disciplined but it is TOTALLY doable and I believe all of you can get through this.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

cheme2014

Bronze

Post by cheme2014 » Thu Nov 22, 2018 5:49 am

a male human wrote: If only looking for the new PR rules, no need to pay for Themis. Here's a chart and some notes on the changes:

Thanks for the tip! Already bought the Magicsheets and Approsheets, too :)

cheme2014

Bronze

Post by cheme2014 » Thu Nov 22, 2018 6:40 am

Does anyone know how good/bad the BarEssays essay grading service is supposed to be? Don't think I can shell out for a full-on tutor, but I want to get some essay feedback...

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!

MBernard

Post by MBernard » Thu Nov 22, 2018 11:00 am

cheme2014 wrote:Does anyone know how good/bad the BarEssays essay grading service is supposed to be? Don't think I can shell out for a full-on tutor, but I want to get some essay feedback...

I’ve heard a lot of veteran Ca posters reccomend it. Honestly though, for the essays I’ll I used was a used copy of Barbri’s essay book and mini conviser. I modeled my essays after how Barbri formatted them in the 2016 edition essay and I passed the J18 test. Only mentioning that because the used books can be obtained fairly cheaply online and it’s a good substitute for a tutor (as crazy as that sounds) so long as you engage with the material.

cheme2014

Bronze

Post by cheme2014 » Thu Nov 22, 2018 3:54 pm

MBernard wrote:
I’ve heard a lot of veteran Ca posters reccomend it. Honestly though, for the essays I’ll I used was a used copy of Barbri’s essay book and mini conviser. I modeled my essays after how Barbri formatted them in the 2016 edition essay and I passed the J18 test. Only mentioning that because the used books can be obtained fairly cheaply online and it’s a good substitute for a tutor (as crazy as that sounds) so long as you engage with the material.
I actually just got those Barbri books, so that's nice to know. Thanks for your input! :)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

a male human

Gold

Post by a male human » Thu Nov 22, 2018 4:44 pm

cheme2014 wrote:
a male human wrote: If only looking for the new PR rules, no need to pay for Themis. Here's a chart and some notes on the changes:

Thanks for the tip! Already bought the Magicsheets and Approsheets, too :)
Thank you!
cheme2014 wrote:Does anyone know how good/bad the BarEssays essay grading service is supposed to be? Don't think I can shell out for a full-on tutor, but I want to get some essay feedback...

They have a sample graded essay at the bottom of this page: https://www.baressays.com/essayfaq.aspx
Let me know if you decide to go with them. I can save you $25.

Cmal123

New

Post by Cmal123 » Sun Nov 25, 2018 6:09 am

Use the link below to get 10% off Critical Pass notecards.

http://criticalpass.refr.cc/christinamalamut

Lmk if you have any questions!

a male human

Gold

Post by a male human » Sun Nov 25, 2018 6:56 pm

Mods, should we sticky this topic and unsticky the 2018 topic?

bacillusanthracis

Bronze

Post by bacillusanthracis » Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:02 pm

Just a possibly helpful tip.

If your program hasn't started yet, pick out an MBE subject and really go after it before the program starts. For example, if your Civ Pro MBE score was rough, then do a deep dive into the subject so that you have a certain level of mastery going in. But do essays and MBE questions because it seems to me that Civ Pro in particular lends itself to consistent answers between the MBE and the essays. That is, they really reinforce each other.

Or do whatever subject really haunted you.

If you get through a subject, then start on another before the program begins. Then do the subject(s) again during the program, or, if you're so well versed by then, you can dedicate a little more time to a subject you're struggling with.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

a male human

Gold

Post by a male human » Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:35 pm

What are peeps studying for February working on at this point? How are you feeling?

JakeTappers

Bronze

Post by JakeTappers » Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:28 am

Is February considered an “easier” “curve”? I have no idea how scaling works but obviously February is more people that failed (including this guy who winged the attorneys exam) and they attempt to have same amount of people pas or whatever? Particularly if essays only?

bacillusanthracis

Bronze

Post by bacillusanthracis » Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:16 am

JakeTappers wrote:Is February considered an “easier” “curve”? I have no idea how scaling works but obviously February is more people that failed (including this guy who winged the attorneys exam) and they attempt to have same amount of people pas or whatever? Particularly if essays only?
February is not easier in any way. In my experience, the 2018 February essays were considerably more difficult than this past July's essays. There wasn't a single crossover in July. They were straightforward and only 5 subjects were tested. Crossovers aren't necessarily more difficult, but it does mean that your chance of hitting on a subject you're not that good at increases. For example, one essay last February tested real property, torts, and conlaw. The CBX called it "Real Property" but it hit three different subjects (trespassing, Takings, and a more conventional RP topic). There was also an essay testing contracts and PR, the latter of which contained a rule that I'd never seen on an exam.

At any rate, the point is that the February exam, in terms of difficulty, is likely to be tougher than July, so any curve advantage isn't worth considering. Just do you best and be ready for anything.

Nightcrawler

Bronze

Post by Nightcrawler » Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:32 pm

JakeTappers wrote:Is February considered an “easier” “curve”? I have no idea how scaling works but obviously February is more people that failed (including this guy who winged the attorneys exam) and they attempt to have same amount of people pas or whatever? Particularly if essays only?
One important thing to consider in February is the lower scale. As the average MBE will be lower (because there are more repeaters than July and less newly grads), the scale will be lower for everyone. Expect to lose some points in February even if your raw scores are identical to July.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Atmosphere

Silver

Post by Atmosphere » Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:35 pm

Nightcrawler wrote:
One important thing to consider in February is the lower scale. As the average MBE will be lower (because there are more repeaters than July and less newly grads), the scale will be lower for everyone. Expect to lose some points in February even if your raw scores are identical to July.

Ive never understood why the scale becomes lower when people do worse on the MBE, although I know it’s been discussed ad-nauseum

MBernard

Post by MBernard » Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:16 pm

bacillusanthracis wrote:
February is not easier in any way. In my experience, the 2018 February essays were considerably more difficult than this past July's essays. There wasn't a single crossover in July. They were straightforward and only 5 subjects were tested. Crossovers aren't necessarily more difficult, but it does mean that your chance of hitting on a subject you're not that good at increases. For example, one essay last February tested real property, torts, and conlaw. The CBX called it "Real Property" but it hit three different subjects (trespassing, Takings, and a more conventional RP topic). There was also an essay testing contracts and PR, the latter of which contained a rule that I'd never seen on an exam.

At any rate, the point is that the February exam, in terms of difficulty, is likely to be tougher than July, so any curve advantage isn't worth considering. Just do you best and be ready for anything.
I also tend to disagree with the conventional belief among examinees that the BLE makes a conscious effort to craft examinations that are uniform in difficulty. The crossover essays for the CBX in F18 were way harder than the J18 test I took and passed. Similarly, the bar I took for TX in F18 went into minutia (e.g. the Secured Transactions Q testing knowledge of a refilling deadline in order to perfect goods that are transported to a new state) and had more challenging Qs than previous test admins in my opinion.

My opinion is solely based both on my own anecdotal experience and my review of numerous test administrations for both TX and CA. My best advice would be to ignore the prediction game and make sure you’re proficient in each topic. You don’t want to spend an inordinate amount of time with stuff that’s already been tested or subject matter that rarely is tested (agency and partnership), but you still should be prepared for anything so you’re not caught off guard.

Nightcrawler

Bronze

Post by Nightcrawler » Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:30 pm

Atmosphere wrote:
Nightcrawler wrote:

Ive never understood why the scale becomes lower when people do worse on the MBE, although I know it’s been discussed ad-nauseum
It's like hearsay rules. You think you understand them but you really don't :lol:

scard

New

Post by scard » Sun Dec 09, 2018 12:10 am

Folks, I hope this helps. I posted this in the July 2018 thread as well

Sign up for Barmax bar prep program and get the full course. do every MBE available (one subject per day in their main course and 50 subject specific questions per day. Write down one sentence rule statements that had you known before reading the question, you would've selected the right answer. Do the Last OPE exams last in one sitting each without explanations and tests.

Doing so, will also prepare you how to write for the essay portion for example, here is an answer explanation copied from Barmax:
Correct. Conspiracy requires (1) an agreement to commit a crime between two or more people, (2) an intent to enter into an agreement, (3) an intent to pursue an unlawful objective (i.e. meeting of the minds) and (4) an overt act in furtherance of the conspiracy.

Here, Jackson called Crowley to see if Crowley wanted to buy "hot" food stamps. Crowley knew "hot" meant stolen, and he agreed to buy them. However, Jackson did not mention that Jackson and Brannick still had to go out and steal the food stamps. Crowley had neither the intent to enter into an agreement to steal the food stamps nor the intent to steal the food stamps. Crowley may be guilty of receiving stolen food stamps but he is not guilty of conspiring to steal the food stamps. Therefore, Crowley should be found not guilty, because, although Crowley knew the stamps were stolen, he neither helped to plan nor participated or assisted in the theft.
This question was obviously about Conspiracy. So when your reading the bar exam question and you notice Conspiracy is an issue that needs discussing your answer should look very similar to the answer explanation above. Something like this:
Conspiracy

Correct.Conspiracy requires (1) an agreement to commit a crime between two or more people, (2) an intent to enter into an agreement, (3) an intent to pursue an unlawful objective (i.e. meeting of the minds) and (4) an overt act in furtherance of the conspiracy.

[a]Here,[/s][REPLACE GREEN TEXT WITH YOUR FACT PATTERN]Jackson called Crowley to see if Crowley wanted to buy "hot" food stamps. Crowley knew "hot" meant stolen, and he agreed to buy them. However, Jackson did not mention that Jackson and Brannick still had to go out and steal the food stamps. Crowley had neither the intent to enter into an agreement to steal the food stamps nor the intent to steal the food stamps. Crowley may be guilty of receiving stolen food stamps but he is not guilty of conspiring to steal the food stamps. Therefore, [STRIKEOUT ONLY IF STARTING A NEW PARAGRAPH FOR CONCLUSION, OTHERWISE LEAVE IT IN]

Crowley should be found not guilty, because, although Crowley knew the stamps were stolen, he neither helped to plan nor participated or assisted in the theft.
So essentially the format should look exactly like this:
Conspiracy

Conspiracy requires (1) an agreement to commit a crime between two or more people, (2) an intent to enter into an agreement, (3) an intent to pursue an unlawful objective (i.e. meeting of the minds) and (4) an overt act in furtherance of the conspiracy.

Jackson called Crowley to see if Crowley wanted to buy "hot" food stamps. Crowley knew "hot" meant stolen, and he agreed to buy them. However, Jackson did not mention that Jackson and Brannick still had to go out and steal the food stamps. Crowley had neither the intent to enter into an agreement to steal the food stamps nor the intent to steal the food stamps. Crowley may be guilty of receiving stolen food stamps but he is not guilty of conspiring to steal the food stamps.

Crowley should be found not guilty, because, although Crowley knew the stamps were stolen, he neither helped to plan nor participated or assisted in the theft.
Essentially it is

Rule

Facts

Fact is rule because and/or it is not defeated by fact because analysis

Conclusion

THATS IT, THATS ALL IS NEEDED TO ADEQUATELY ANALYZE ONE ISSUE ON THE BAR EXAM. JUST REPEAT FOR EACH ISSUE AND SUB-ISSUE.

It's ok to break up paragraphs if it gets too long.You just don't want to start every other paragraph with "Here" or "in this case" or "however" or "Thus" or Therefore" Remember if you have to assume a fact to reach a conclusion or the fact is unknown keeping you from reaching a conclusion, chances are its not an issue worth discussing.

Hope this helps, this is what finally helped me pass so just do those MBE's and you will naturally start looking at every issue like a Barmax question/explanation.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

repeattaker

New

Post by repeattaker » Tue Dec 11, 2018 2:07 am

Does anyone know how the exam tests certain rules that have recently changed? For example, I know professional responsibility is going to be tested to some extent in feb., and CA has recently changed a number of their rules just last month. Will you be substantially penalized if you accidentally recite an old rule as opposed to the newly adopted rule?

I know I have to learn the newly adopted rules, just wanted to see if anyone had any experience with changes in rules prior to taking the exam.

repeattaker

New

Post by repeattaker » Tue Dec 11, 2018 2:29 am

Does anyone know how the exam tests recently changed rules/laws? I know professional responsibility will be tested on the feb. exam in some form, and CA has recently made changes to their rules effective last month. My question is, will you be penalized if you accidentally recite an old rule? I know my best bet is to learn the newly adopted rules. Just wanted to know if anyone had any experience with a change in rules/laws prior to taking the exam.

DodgerBlues1991

New

Post by DodgerBlues1991 » Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:38 am

I just started studying, my plan is to hit a subject a week, maybe 2 or 3 in one week sometimes when they are shorter. Do a read through of the topic on the mini-convisor, do 100 mbes and through review of them (I have themis; not sure to get adapti bar or not because heard somewhere they are the same questions. AND do about 3-4 essays per subject from bar essays. I am a repeat taker.

FinallyPassedTheBar

Bronze

Post by FinallyPassedTheBar » Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:47 am

DodgerBlues1991 wrote:I just started studying, my plan is to hit a subject a week, maybe 2 or 3 in one week sometimes when they are shorter. Do a read through of the topic on the mini-convisor, do 100 mbes and through review of them (I have themis; not sure to get adapti bar or not because heard somewhere they are the same questions. AND do about 3-4 essays per subject from bar essays. I am a repeat taker.

100 MBE per subject? per week?

IMHO you should do 25 to 50 MBE questions per day, mixed sets. Total should be 1500 - 2000 MBE q completed by exam time.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”