MPRE Help - Should I continue with plan to take this Sat? Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
placidstate

New

MPRE Help - Should I continue with plan to take this Sat?

Post by placidstate » Tue Nov 06, 2018 6:51 am

I've been taking practice tests – Barbri, Themis, and Kaplan - and scoring about 45/60. Since the real test is out of 50 graded questions and 10 experimental questions, I really have a hard time gauging how I'm doing.

Is this a good enough score to pass the MPRE?

Will law firm care or can they see your score? What about if you retake?

Thanks a ton for any advice give!

albanach

Gold

Re: MPRE Help - Should I continue with plan to take this Sat?

Post by albanach » Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:15 am

placidstate wrote:I've been taking practice tests – Barbri, Themis, and Kaplan - and scoring about 45/60. Since the real test is out of 50 graded questions and 10 experimental questions, I really have a hard time gauging how I'm doing.

Is this a good enough score to pass the MPRE?

Will law firm care or can they see your score? What about if you retake?

Most folk I know studied the night before and did fine.

cbbinnyc

Bronze

Post by cbbinnyc » Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:28 pm

The passing score varies with the curve, but 45/60 translates to a passing score. 45/60 reduces to 37.5/50, and usually you need around 30-35/50 to get an 85 scaled score, which is the passing threshold in most places.

QContinuum

Post by QContinuum » Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:13 pm

placidstate wrote:Will law firm care or can they see your score? What about if you retake?

This response is (obviously) too late to be of any use for OP, but for the benefit of future readers:
  • If you're PTing around the passing threshold, and already signed up for the MPRE, absolutely take it. There's no benefit to pulling a no-show; you won't get your testing fee back. Might as well take your chances, you could very well pass!
  • I've never heard any rumor of any employer caring about a law student needing to retake the MPRE. All employers care about is that you're admitted to the bar within a certain timeframe. This is the great benefit of taking the MPRE during law school, and why so many people treat it dismissively: You get multiple chances to take it as a 3L (or even a 2L) and so long as you pass by the time you pass the actual bar, there are no professional consequences of needing to retake it.
  • On a related note, employers also couldn't care less about how highly you score on the MPRE, so long as you pass. (The same is true, incidentally, of the actual bar.) This isn't the LSAT and law school admissions. Employers just need you to be licensed to practice law.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”