Failed The UBE In My JX & Considering Transferring Score Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
simplemanc

New

Failed The UBE In My JX & Considering Transferring Score

Post by simplemanc » Tue Oct 30, 2018 4:01 pm

I am in a predicament and did not know if anyone would be able to provide me with some insight. I did not obtain a UBE score sufficient enough to pass the exam in my jurisdiction. I am considering transferring my score to a jurisdiction in which it would be deemed passing while I study for the February exam. Does anyone have any idea as to how long this process may take? How quickly - once application have been approved - would I be able to be sworn-in? Would it require a special ceremony or would I need to wait until the next available ceremony? The websites for various jurisdictions are vague as to timing. Any help that anyone can provide would be great!

Cop2lawyerNYC

New

Re: Failed The UBE In My JX & Considering Transferring Score

Post by Cop2lawyerNYC » Tue Oct 30, 2018 4:45 pm

simplemanc wrote:I am in a predicament and did not know if anyone would be able to provide me with some insight. I did not obtain a UBE score sufficient enough to pass the exam in my jurisdiction. I am considering transferring my score to a jurisdiction in which it would be deemed passing while I study for the February exam. Does anyone have any idea as to how long this process may take? How quickly - once application have been approved - would I be able to be sworn-in? Would it require a special ceremony or would I need to wait until the next available ceremony? The websites for various jurisdictions are vague as to timing. Any help that anyone can provide would be great!
Are you looking to transfer to a 260 jx? From what I’ve read and been told Minnesota is hands down the fastest and easiest. I don’t think you have to go down there but I could be wrong.

simplemanc

New

Post by simplemanc » Wed Oct 31, 2018 12:33 pm

Cop2lawyerNYC wrote:
simplemanc wrote:I am in a predicament and did not know if anyone would be able to provide me with some insight. I did not obtain a UBE score sufficient enough to pass the exam in my jurisdiction. I am considering transferring my score to a jurisdiction in which it would be deemed passing while I study for the February exam. Does anyone have any idea as to how long this process may take? How quickly - once application have been approved - would I be able to be sworn-in? Would it require a special ceremony or would I need to wait until the next available ceremony? The websites for various jurisdictions are vague as to timing. Any help that anyone can provide would be great!
Are you looking to transfer to a 260 jx? From what I’ve read and been told Minnesota is hands down the fastest and easiest. I don’t think you have to go down there but I could be wrong.
Yes. I was looking to transfer to a 260 jx (preferably Alabama because I'm in the Southeast). Thank you for your insight!

b290

Bronze

Post by b290 » Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:01 am

Cop2lawyerNYC wrote:
You do have to go there - at least for the swear-in. You first need to find out if the jurisdiction does its own investigations or it hands that over to the NCBE. That you can find out here:

http://www.ncbex.org/character-and-fitness/

If the jurisdiction you choose uses the NCBE for its C&F, a good general timetable is 4-6 months. So, realistically (presuming you act on this right away) you're looking at a mid-November start, translating to between mid-March to mid-May BEFORE, the jurisdiction does its own additional stuff. So that's next April at the earliest to be done with everything. I'm not sure which jurisdiction you did your UBE exam at, but that's right around when Feb 2019 results should be out (for most states). If the jurisdiction does its own C&F, the timetable varies widely (obviously - Minnesota does its own), and the only way you can get an accurate answer is to call. MN does have a decent contingent of non-resident attorneys, so there's that. But, you're not looking at anything earlier than about a few months (i.e. 2019).

Pretty much, once you're approved, you're good to go. You may require a special ceremony (if you can't make it to the mass ceremony for February examinees, but that's as simple as calling the appropriate (usually the state Supreme Court) office and scheduling. I don't know of any state that would have you wait several months for an alternative ceremony, unless the state has rolling swear-in dates.

The UBE transfer situation's pictured below:

You can find a much better version here:
http://www.ncbex.org/pubs/bar-admission ... .html#p=49

Either way, if you're looking to take advantage/be licensed before you get your Feb 2019 results, send your C&F application ASAP.

PM me if you have questions.

My $.02

perplixityparanoia

New

Post by perplixityparanoia » Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:36 am

Missouri does its own C&F investigation. You will not have to go there for swearing-in. They generally process everything speedily.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Cop2lawyerNYC

New

Post by Cop2lawyerNYC » Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:46 am

Anybody know how long NJ takes? I’m getting printed next week. I submitted my application a few days after passing in NY.

mvp99

Silver

Post by mvp99 » Sun Nov 04, 2018 5:42 pm

Anyone have a list of Jx where its easy to transfer ube score ans just get sworn in after C&f? My score is about to expire (24 months old). I know DC it’s easy.

perplixityparanoia

New

Post by perplixityparanoia » Sun Nov 04, 2018 6:41 pm

mvp99 wrote:Anyone have a list of Jx where its easy to transfer ube score ans just get sworn in after C&f? My score is about to expire (24 months old). I know DC it’s easy.
Missouri. You will not even have to go there in person to get sworn in. They do things rapidly.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”