New York July 2018 Bar Exam Hangout Thread Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
rg28706n

New

Re: New York July 2018 Bar Exam Hangout Thread

Post by rg28706n » Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:24 pm

Cop2lawyerNYC wrote:
Tania_R wrote:What is this I am reading that an analysis of the MEE is released?

I would love to see the analysis of the 2nd MPT. Last Time I failed the Bar with 147 on the MBE, in Feb.... due to 2 horrible MPT's... and a strange civ pro question.

If anyone knows where to get this analysis can you please let me know?

Thanks.
Failed with a 147 MBE? :shock: did you leave your mpt blank?
??? :shock:

Cop2lawyerNYC

New

Post by Cop2lawyerNYC » Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:46 pm

rg28706n wrote:
Cop2lawyerNYC wrote:
Tania_R wrote:What is this I am reading that an analysis of the MEE is released?

I would love to see the analysis of the 2nd MPT. Last Time I failed the Bar with 147 on the MBE, in Feb.... due to 2 horrible MPT's... and a strange civ pro question.

Thanks.
I know. I figure 147 would be a definite pass unless you leave essays and mpts blank. A 118 MEE/MPT would be around the 20% percentile
http://www.ncbex.org/statistics-and-res ... tatistics/

Tania R, curious what your essay score break down was?

sunnys1d3up33

New

Post by sunnys1d3up33 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:48 pm

The good thing is that if it doesn't come out tonight, then it won't come out until Monday so we can take a few days to relax because they normally release them the day before the official list is posted for the public.

retawxe

New

Post by retawxe » Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:15 pm

sunnys1d3up33 wrote:The good thing is that if it doesn't come out tonight, then it won't come out until Monday so we can take a few days to relax because they normally release them the day before the official list is posted for the public.
Why are you ruling out tomorrow? They were released on a Friday in 2016, 2012 and 2010, according to JD Advising: https://www.jdadvising.com/when-will-ju ... -released/

sunnys1d3up33

New

Post by sunnys1d3up33 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:23 pm

retawxe wrote:
sunnys1d3up33 wrote:The good thing is that if it doesn't come out tonight, then it won't come out until Monday so we can take a few days to relax because they normally release them the day before the official list is posted for the public.
Why are you ruling out tomorrow? They were released on a Friday in 2016, 2012 and 2010, according to JD Advising: https://www.jdadvising.com/when-will-ju ... -released/
But wouldn't the emails come out tonight first?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

retawxe

New

Post by retawxe » Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:31 pm

sunnys1d3up33 wrote:
retawxe wrote:
I think the site is probably defining "release" as the date of the emails, because otherwise all of the Monday listings would mean people received the emails on a Sunday, and at least with regard to last year I know that's not the case. So hypothetically, emails could go out tomorrow with the list posted on Monday.

sunnys1d3up33

New

Post by sunnys1d3up33 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:35 pm

retawxe wrote:
sunnys1d3up33 wrote:
retawxe wrote:
I think the site is probably defining "release" as the date of the emails, because otherwise all of the Monday listings would mean people received the emails on a Sunday, and at least with regard to last year I know that's not the case. So hypothetically, emails could go out tomorrow with the list posted on Monday.
You're right, that makes sense. Definitely misread that. Thanks for the clarity. I guess I'll continue to find solace in the fact that there are only 13 days left in the month so it won't be that much longer.

Master1812

New

Post by Master1812 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:36 pm

I think there is at least a typo in JD advising....last year Monday was October 23 not 22 ! The press release was published by the BOLE on October 24

kappagamma

New

Post by kappagamma » Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:49 pm

retawxe wrote:
sunnys1d3up33 wrote:
retawxe wrote:
Last year, they released at 10:30 PM on a Monday and so it still counted as being released on Monday. In 2016, they were released after midnight on "Thursday night" and so they were technically released on Friday. So basically, if we don't get anything tonight, from what sunnys1d3up33 is saying, we won't get results until Monday because I doubt they would release them tomorrow evening.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Ohnt

New

Post by Ohnt » Thu Oct 18, 2018 5:00 pm

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!! Can we have them tonight, please?!!! Sob sob sob.

tjohns28

New

Post by tjohns28 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 5:30 pm

kappagamma wrote:
retawxe wrote:
sunnys1d3up33 wrote:
retawxe wrote:
Last year, they released at 10:30 PM on a Monday and so it still counted as being released on Monday. In 2016, they were released after midnight on "Thursday night" and so they were technically released on Friday. So basically, if we don't get anything tonight, from what sunnys1d3up33 is saying, we won't get results until Monday because I doubt they would release them tomorrow evening.
Idk, there was at least one year where they released results in the afternoon. As unlikely as it might be for a friday afternoon release, I don't think we're truly safe until after 5 pm tomorrow.

kappagamma

New

Post by kappagamma » Thu Oct 18, 2018 5:45 pm

tjohns28 wrote:
kappagamma wrote:
retawxe wrote:
sunnys1d3up33 wrote:
retawxe wrote:
Idk, there was at least one year where they released results in the afternoon. As unlikely as it might be for a friday afternoon release, I don't think we're truly safe until after 5 pm tomorrow.
Agreed but I really really reaaaallllly hope they don't come out during the day tomorrow. I don't want to be in a pool of tears at work

Ramis00

New

Post by Ramis00 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 5:47 pm

You aren’t even safe then. Last year I received my scores on a Monday night at 10:25 PM.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

WhyTheLongWait

New

Post by WhyTheLongWait » Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:10 pm

So it's only been 86 days since the bar and the earliest they release is 90 days so my bet is on Monday night (90 days). Of course, who the f knows since they are clearly messing with us.

b290

Bronze

Post by b290 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:44 pm

Just in case you're wondering:

This is based on the press release comes out - i.e. the results have been released before then. The release timetable is unaffected by the amount of takers, pass rates, exam software mishaps (2007, 2012, and 2014) and even the change to the UBE. The only plausible explanation is internal (like the change over to the current all-electronic system, which looks like happened in 2013).

Previously, it was common practice to mail out results first (around 90-100 days), then a release a memo (usually a press statement in NY Lawyer & other corresponding publications) timed to correspond with the when the paper results were received. That would definitely explain the 110-day timetables. Obviously, with an all-electronic system, there's really no need for mail so...90 days. If this year was supposed to another "cut off" year (i.e. that results would be released much earlier than before), it would've happened already. With it being so close to 90, you might as well bank on next week.

Another thing, government workers (including those at the BOLE) don't usually work on the weekends. That's why there are no weekend releases, and if you get a your results on a Monday, it'll be at night. Getting your results mid-day or later Friday, means a weekend press release (a no-no), so you might as well rule out tomorrow while you're at it.

So.....don't ruin your weekend. Regain your sanity for the next few days. Save your madness for next week.

My $.02

NotYourAvocado

New

Post by NotYourAvocado » Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:55 pm

b290 wrote:Just in case you're wondering:

This is based on the press release comes out - i.e. the results have been released before then. The release timetable is unaffected by the amount of takers, pass rates, exam software mishaps (2007, 2012, and 2014) and even the change to the UBE. The only plausible explanation is internal (like the change over to the current all-electronic system, which looks like happened in 2013).

Previously, it was common practice to mail out results first (around 90-100 days), then a release a memo (usually a press statement in NY Lawyer & other corresponding publications) timed to correspond with the when the paper results were received. That would definitely explain the 110-day timetables. Obviously, with an all-electronic system, there's really no need for mail so...90 days. If this year was supposed to another "cut off" year (i.e. that results would be released much earlier than before), it would've happened already. With it being so close to 90, you might as well bank on next week.

Another thing, government workers (including those at the BOLE) don't usually work on the weekends. That's why there are no weekend releases, and if you get a your results on a Monday, it'll be at night. Getting your results mid-day or later Friday, means a weekend press release (a no-no), so you might as well rule out tomorrow while you're at it.

So.....don't ruin your weekend. Regain your sanity for the next few days. Save your madness for next week.

My $.02
Nice analysis, thanks! It's perfectly possible, though, that there be Friday PM emails followed by Monday (i.e. next business day) public release. That's exactly what Massachusetts did this year.

b290

Bronze

Post by b290 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:29 pm

NotYourAvocado wrote:Nice analysis, thanks! It's perfectly possible, though, that there be Friday PM emails followed by Monday (i.e. next business day) public release. That's exactly what Massachusetts did this year.
Possible, but very unikely. There hasn't been a Monday press release going back to the 90's (if ever), and beyond that, we're talking about a different era inapplicable to today. If anything, a Friday press release is possible (it used to be normal), but that means Friday next week.

Also, other states' bureaucracies just operate differently. NJ, which in many ways may appear as similar to NY and PA, is a good example. With NJ, there's a bit more clarity. Results come around 90 days, you get a dependable timetable, and results have already been released.
NY could easily state a release date, like other states do. But anyone who's lived in NY (especially NYC) knows that if a proposal/idea makes sense, presume that it won't happen. One thing we know about government (at all levels): it operates on its own schedule, within its own bubble, ignoring everything else.

My $.02

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

NotYourAvocado

New

Post by NotYourAvocado » Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:38 pm

b290 wrote:
NotYourAvocado wrote:Nice analysis, thanks! It's perfectly possible, though, that there be Friday PM emails followed by Monday (i.e. next business day) public release. That's exactly what Massachusetts did this year.
Possible, but very unikely. There hasn't been a Monday press release going back to the 90's (if ever), and beyond that, we're talking about a different era inapplicable to today. If anything, a Friday press release is possible (it used to be normal), but that means Friday next week.

Also, other states' bureaucracies just operate differently. NJ, which in many ways may appear as similar to NY and PA, is a good example. With NJ, there's a bit more clarity. Results come around 90 days, you get a dependable timetable, and results have already been released.
NY could easily state a release date, like other states do. But anyone who's lived in NY (especially NYC) knows that if a proposal/idea makes sense, presume that it won't happen. One thing we know about government (at all levels): it operates on its own schedule, within its own bubble, ignoring everything else.

My $.02
Yeah well it's not like there is a rule about 90 days. But at this point - whatever makes us feel better...

qds6HVzD

New

Post by qds6HVzD » Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:41 pm

b290 wrote: If anything, a Friday press release is possible (it used to be normal), but that means Friday next week.
Why would tonight be ruled out?

b290

Bronze

Post by b290 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:13 pm

qds6HVzD wrote:Why would tonight be ruled out?
NotYourAvocado wrote:Yeah well it's not like there is a rule about 90 days. But at this point - whatever makes us feel better...
There isn’t. There just hasn’t been a release this early - ever. What is now “90 days” used to be “100 days”, before that “110 days”, and “120+ days.” It’s reasonable to presume that something that hasn’t ever happened, isn’t going to happen now.

I’m not posting to “make people feel better.” You’re free to completely ignore it (it’s America). I’ve already done the wait and learned (of course, in hindsight) the stress just wasn’t worth it. The worrying the weekend before didn’t make the joy afterward any better. Maybe it does for some people, but I don’t see the point.

If one wants to spend the weekend worrying, that’s fine.

My $.02

retawxe

New

Post by retawxe » Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:19 pm

b290 wrote:
qds6HVzD wrote:Why would tonight be ruled out?
NotYourAvocado wrote:Yeah well it's not like there is a rule about 90 days. But at this point - whatever makes us feel better...
There isn’t. There just hasn’t been a release this early - ever. What is now “90 days” used to be “100 days”, before that “110 days”, and “120+ days.” It’s reasonable to presume that something that hasn’t ever happened, isn’t going to happen now.

I’m not posting to “make people feel better.” You’re free to completely ignore it (it’s America). I’ve already done the wait and learned (of course, in hindsight) the stress just wasn’t worth it. The worrying the weekend before didn’t make the joy afterward any better. Maybe it does for some people, but I don’t see the point.

If one wants to spend the weekend worrying, that’s fine.

My $.02
Hey, we lived the 2016 jump to 180 (and then 190) after there hadn't been a jump since 2007. Anything can happen!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

diatribe

New

Post by diatribe » Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:02 pm

Cop2lawyerNYC wrote:
rg28706n wrote:
Cop2lawyerNYC wrote:

Thanks.
I know. I figure 147 would be a definite pass unless you leave essays and mpts blank. A 118 MEE/MPT would be around the 20% percentile
http://www.ncbex.org/statistics-and-res ... tatistics/

Tania R, curious what your essay score break down was?
I wish a 147 was anywhere close to an auto-pass in California :cry:

sammyveritas

New

Post by sammyveritas » Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:52 pm

So if we don't get email tonight, then everybody thinking it's not happening until Monday??? This is brutal... :?

axel.foley

Bronze

Post by axel.foley » Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:55 pm

Yep. If no email tonight, nothing until Monday.

IndoubtputC

New

Post by IndoubtputC » Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:06 pm

sammyveritas wrote:So if we don't get email tonight, then everybody thinking it's not happening until Monday??? This is brutal... :?
There's no guarantee it would be Monday. For all we know BOLE has decided to push back results going forward, we really don't know.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”