Kaplan v Themis — second time around

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum

Kaplan or Themis for UBE?

Kaplan
8
44%
Themis
10
56%
 
Total votes: 18

HarrisonK

New
Posts: 21
Joined: Wed May 20, 2015 4:38 pm

Kaplan v Themis — second time around

Postby HarrisonK » Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:00 am

I took Barbri this summer in preparation for the July UBE and I absolutely hated it for many reasons. I felt terribly unprepared for the UBE come test day. Assuming I need to take the bar again, I’m looking for prep course recommendations. Would you suggest Themis or Kaplan? Why? I have the critical pass flashcards and will use those in addition to any course I take this time around.

Jdsquared87

New
Posts: 88
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:45 pm

Re: Kaplan v Themis — second time around

Postby Jdsquared87 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:41 am

HarrisonK wrote:I took Barbri this summer in preparation for the July UBE and I absolutely hated it for many reasons. I felt terribly unprepared for the UBE come test day. Assuming I need to take the bar again, I’m looking for prep course recommendations. Would you suggest Themis or Kaplan? Why? I have the critical pass flashcards and will use those in addition to any course I take this time around.



Kaplan is cheaper and just as good if not better than barbri. I enjoyed the program, however, I would recommend buying Emmanuels Strategies and Tactics 7th edition for the mbes because neither bar prep program offers licensed NCBE questions and S&T has around 700 of them. It worked wonders on boosting my performance for the mbe as I saw a dramatic increase in my practice mbe sets. I will know for sure when nj releases their scores whether it truly helped me improve, but i feel like it did.

User avatar
SilvermanBarPrep

Bronze
Posts: 280
Joined: Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:19 pm

Re: Kaplan v Themis — second time around

Postby SilvermanBarPrep » Tue Oct 09, 2018 2:54 pm

Just one correction--it's the 6th edition. I only know this because I'm always checking for new editions. :)

But agreed--pick up that book. And as to Kaplan or Themis, they both provide a very similar product, and I think you won't go wrong with either. Just always be willing to approach bar prep with a bit of independence--don't feel obligated to do exactly what they assign exactly when they assign it. Everybody has different needs.

Sean (Silverman Bar Exam Tutoring)

Bambalover

New
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:37 am

Re: Kaplan v Themis — second time around

Postby Bambalover » Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:08 am

Hi, I am considering taking Kaplan and was wondering if Do they offer early access to the material?

KkayL

New
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2018 7:44 pm

Re: Kaplan v Themis — second time around

Postby KkayL » Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:03 pm

I took Kaplan and I hated but I passed and apparently didn’t bomb the MBE since I got at least a 150 scaled. I think the MPT grading helped and reviewing numerous sample essay answers helped. The Kaplan reviewer hated all of my essays but I think their expectations were unrealistic. So, I’d recommend Kaplan. I did supplement with OneSheets for the MEE and MBE and it helped me see the forest from the many freaking trees.

Blueplanet

New
Posts: 18
Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:16 pm

Re: Kaplan v Themis — second time around

Postby Blueplanet » Sat Oct 20, 2018 4:30 pm

I am a foreign attorney and took the Cali bar in July. I used Kaplan and also used BarMax for the MBE questions. I liked Kaplan for the essay and MPT practice tests. No limit on graded essays and you could access sample essays. The MBE was made up as you know but then I also found the MBE part of the exam tough going.

With Kaplan you get access to the online material straightway which is basically the MBE question bank and essays. I have heard lots of people say they didn't like Barbri. As you have already taken the exam once I would go for Kaplan because at best you just need a refresher if you don't pass.

Bambalover

New
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:37 am

Re: Kaplan v Themis — second time around

Postby Bambalover » Tue Oct 23, 2018 4:28 pm

Blueplanet wrote:I am a foreign attorney and took the Cali bar in July. I used Kaplan and also used BarMax for the MBE questions. I liked Kaplan for the essay and MPT practice tests. No limit on graded essays and you could access sample essays. The MBE was made up as you know but then I also found the MBE part of the exam tough going.

With Kaplan you get access to the online material straightway which is basically the MBE question bank and essays. I have heard lots of people say they didn't like Barbri. As you have already taken the exam once I would go for Kaplan because at best you just need a refresher if you don't pass.



Did you take Kaplan’s LLM course or the regular one? Didn’t you use Kaplan’s MBE questions at all?

Bambalover

New
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:37 am

Re: Kaplan v Themis — second time around

Postby Bambalover » Tue Oct 23, 2018 4:33 pm

[quote="KkayL"]I took Kaplan and I hated but I passed and apparently didn’t bomb the MBE since I got at least a 150 scaled. I think the MPT grading helped and reviewing numerous sample essay answers helped. The Kaplan reviewer hated all of my essays but I think their expectations were unrealistic. So, I’d recommend Kaplan. I did supplement with OneSheets for the MEE and MBE and it helped me see the forest from the many freaking trees.[/

Congratulations! It seems that they and you did a decent work. Thank you!

Blueplanet

New
Posts: 18
Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:16 pm

Re: Kaplan v Themis — second time around

Postby Blueplanet » Wed Oct 31, 2018 6:56 am

Bambalover wrote:Did you take Kaplan’s LLM course or the regular one? Didn’t you use Kaplan’s MBE questions at all?


I took Kaplan's Bar Review course and used their MBE questions along with the BarMax licensed ones. In your case as you have already taken the exam once and therefore have a grounding in the subject you should be fine with Kaplan (assuming you don't pass but thinking positively you may pass and not need either!).



Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum?

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: a male human, shcohen and 30 guests