Bar Studying Advice with little time (working with family) Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
lenak

New

Bar Studying Advice with little time (working with family)

Post by lenak » Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:43 pm

Hi Everyone!

I was barred in michigan 4 years ago and took Themis at the time and used "deconstructing the Michigan essays" for the essay portion. Honestly, without that book I wouldnt have passed. Now a few years later my family and I moved to New Jersey and I NEVER thought Id have to go through studying for the bar again. This time around is quite different, I have kids and I just starting working full-time AND will be taking the UBE instead of the regular state bar exam. So things all around have changed and I need YOUR HELP, please. This is such an awesome and supportive group so I knew I had to write a post. This is my first.

I wanted to know if anyone had advice for me as to what bar prep to take or materials they recommend for the UBE, and any recommendations on how to study when you have other obligations like work and kids? I am thinking of taking themis again, I also found a few of my previous outlines that I might rewrite again. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I dont have that much money or time to do Barbri or some of the expensive bar prep classes.

Thank you in advance :)

b290

Bronze

Re: Bar Studying Advice with little time (working with family)

Post by b290 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:31 pm

lenak wrote:Hi Everyone!

I was barred in michigan 4 years ago and took Themis at the time and used "deconstructing the Michigan essays" for the essay portion. Honestly, without that book I wouldnt have passed. Now a few years later my family and I moved to New Jersey and I NEVER thought Id have to go through studying for the bar again. This time around is quite different, I have kids and I just starting working full-time AND will be taking the UBE instead of the regular state bar exam. So things all around have changed and I need YOUR HELP, please. This is such an awesome and supportive group so I knew I had to write a post. This is my first.

I wanted to know if anyone had advice for me as to what bar prep to take or materials they recommend for the UBE, and any recommendations on how to study when you have other obligations like work and kids? I am thinking of taking themis again, I also found a few of my previous outlines that I might rewrite again. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I dont have that much money or time to do Barbri or some of the expensive bar prep classes.

Thank you in advance :)
Hi there! Welcome :) Good news: You can forget about the arcane MI-style essays. UBE essays are relatively straightforward. You also only have 6 essays - as opposed to 15 :lol: A buddy of mine took MI and barely failed it, but just took WA (UBE) and passed by a large margin. UBE's largely CRAC/IRAC and you can also forget about those state rules. Themis should work fine. I think you can get a discount if you take a second state (I'm not sure), so check that out first. If you want to get familiar again, the FROs are decent primers to get the basics down. UBE Wills & Trusts cant get too specific because as you know, those are state specific. Also:

1. With responsibilities, just get as much off of you as you can. Friends, family, a sig other, get them to share
2. Presuming that's not possible, which is realistic, then start earlier - much earlier than the late Dec. You'll have much less to do each day.
3. Also, with all that going on, there's just not enough time to study the traditional way. Sneak in some study time at work.
4. Another reason you'll want to start early - you have about a month less time to study than you would in the summer. (and that's not factoring the cluster-f*&# that's between Thanksgiving and New Years)

NJ also has model answers, so if want to look:

https://www.njbarexams.org/bar-exam-que ... le-answers (Feb 2017 and beyond = UBE)

I'm in a hurry, so I'll elaborate more later. Good luck!

My $.02

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”