Foreign trained attorney looking for a bar prep course Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
msummer

New

Foreign trained attorney looking for a bar prep course

Post by msummer » Tue Aug 28, 2018 3:27 am

Hi guys,I am a foreign trained attorney who is planning to take NY bar exam on July 2019. the last time I took the exam I struggled with the MPT portion therefore, I am looking for a bar prep course that gives extra attention to the writing portion of the exam and truly reviews the essays/MPTs I submit for review and gives useful comments or at least teaches how to approach the MPT.
Can anyone please recommend from his/her experience on such a course?
TIA.

Ohnt

New

Re: Foreign trained attorney looking for a bar prep course

Post by Ohnt » Mon Sep 03, 2018 11:59 am

msummer wrote:Hi guys,I am a foreign trained attorney who is planning to take NY bar exam on July 2019. the last time I took the exam I struggled with the MPT portion therefore, I am looking for a bar prep course that gives extra attention to the writing portion of the exam and truly reviews the essays/MPTs I submit for review and gives useful comments or at least teaches how to approach the MPT.
TIA.
Themis -100%

20 graded essays! With feedback and you can contact your grader for further discussions concerning your work.

2018ukgrad

New

Post by 2018ukgrad » Tue Sep 04, 2018 6:39 am

Hi! I'm a fresh grad, recently completed my LLB in UK.
I have no hands-on legal experience, no friends who are working towards the NY bar, and no knowledge of US law!
I'm hoping to take the NY bar in July 2019, and I'd like to start a study group/correspond with people who are in the same boat as me!

Currently looking at Themis vs Barmax, planning on getting Adaptibar too.
Does anyone have any helpful tips in regards to learning American law from scratch?

Also I'm new to this forum site, so I have no idea how to send messages. Please contact me if you're in a similar situation as me, or have any advice to share! Would really appreciate it!

JoeSeperac

Post by JoeSeperac » Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:25 pm

msummer wrote:Hi guys,I am a foreign trained attorney who is planning to take NY bar exam on July 2019. the last time I took the exam I struggled with the MPT portion therefore, I am looking for a bar prep course that gives extra attention to the writing portion of the exam and truly reviews the essays/MPTs I submit for review and gives useful comments or at least teaches how to approach the MPT.
TIA.
If you are looking for help on the MPT that is beyond just looking at the MPT Point Sheets but not to the level of tutoring, you may be interested in my MPT Comparison banks here: https://ubeessays.com/

On this site, I have MPT Comparison banks for the past 21 MPTs tested by NCBE (going back to 2010). Each one is an essay bank of graded MPT answers for a particular administration – this is an excellent resource that does not exist anywhere else. Since the MPT is a "closed universe" practical problem, one of the most effective things an examinee can do is to answer MPTs under exam conditions and then dissect their answers along-side the answers of high-scoring MPTs to see how the answers differ in regards to their use of the factual data, cases, statutes and other reference materials. This process of examination often leads to a good understanding of how to compose an above-passing MPT. I’ve been creating these MPT Comparisons since 2010 to enable examinees/tutees to do this. Basically, by comparing and contrasting a range of graded examinee MPTS, you can learn how these examinees (especially high scoring examinees) incorporate the MPT File and Library in their answers. Examinees can also use this MPT Comparison to analyze their own MPT answer to the question.

There are over 800 graded examinee MPTs in these MPT Comparison banks with 12 different MPT formats tested (e.g. Findings of Fact/Conclusions of Law, Leave Behind Persuasive Memorandum, Closing Argument, etc) so there are hundreds of above-passing MPTs to look at. You can also look at exactly passing MPTs to see what the “bare minimum” is for an MPT answer. Even the failing MPTs are instructive as to what not to do. For example, an examinee that signficantly improved on the MEE/MPT after using the comparisons told me: "I did much better on my essays this time due in large part to your comparison tool. I found that to be extremely helpful." This examinee’s written average went from 58th percentile to 96th percentile among the failing examinees who sent me their scores. Put simply, in the span of a few hours, you can see how hundreds of passing examinees organized and wrote their MPT answers and you will start to see what a good MPT consists of from essentially the same perspective as the MPT grader. If this still makes no sense to you, watch the video that explains it.

rfkm170884

New

Post by rfkm170884 » Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:56 am

I am currently using a mix of things. Until my Kaplan course opens up, I am,using quimbee. I have SmartBar Prep outlines and they are great since they distill subjects to a highlight reel. It is useful especially if you are doing MBE and you lose the main points.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

albanach

Gold

Post by albanach » Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:23 am

msummer wrote:I am looking for a bar prep course that gives extra attention to the writing portion of the exam and truly reviews the essays/MPTs I submit for review and gives useful comments or at least teaches how to approach the MPT.
Do you really mean just the MPT? You're foreign trained - have you worked as a lawyer, because I thought this was really just a test of your basic analytical and writing skills. Digesting the law as it is given to you and writing a memo or letter should be skills you have by the time you graduate.

However, you also mention the essays which had me wondering if you are looking for substantive help on the entire non-MBE/multiple choice part of the exam?

nkiruka

New

Post by nkiruka » Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:24 pm

2018ukgrad wrote:Hi! I'm a fresh grad, recently completed my LLB in UK.
I have no hands-on legal experience, no friends who are working towards the NY bar, and no knowledge of US law!
I'm hoping to take the NY bar in July 2019, and I'd like to start a study group/correspond with people who are in the same boat as me!

Currently looking at Themis vs Barmax, planning on getting Adaptibar too.
Does anyone have any helpful tips in regards to learning American law from scratch?

Also I'm new to this forum site, so I have no idea how to send messages. Please contact me if you're in a similar situation as me, or have any advice to share! Would really appreciate it!

hello, i just joined this forum and i am also a UK graduate intending to sit for the February 2019 bar exams but confused as to what materials to start with. any ideas?? THANKS

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”