Didn’t include headings on all my essays. Should I be concerned?

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Elastigirl14

New

Didn’t include headings on all my essays. Should I be concerned?

Postby Elastigirl14 » Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:15 pm

I used IRAC but didn’t write headers to all the essay questions. Is that automatically going to lower the score?

Calbears123

Bronze

Re: Didn’t include headings on all my essays. Should I be concerned?

Postby Calbears123 » Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:53 pm

Lol was thinking the same. I hand wrote my essays and went up until time was called. No time for headers I was trying to get everything down as quick as possible.

gasfard

New

Postby gasfard » Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:39 am

Themis graders didn't seem to mind the lack of headings too much, so maybe it's okay?

Jdsquared87

New

Postby Jdsquared87 » Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:53 am

I used tons of headers for my mpt but didn't for my essays. IRACed but totally forgot headings. Didn't use them with kaplan either and still got 4 out of 6. I don't know...I'm praying it's okay.

Jdsquared87

New

Postby Jdsquared87 » Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:21 am

Actually, i did use headings on almost all of my essays now that i think about it. But i dont think its a huge deal breaker.

ndbigdave

Bronze

Postby ndbigdave » Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:48 am

Elastigirl14 wrote:I used IRAC but didn’t write headers to all the essay questions. Is that automatically going to lower the score?

TL;DR: Breathe.

You are fine, while I suppose I would categorize the use of headings as a "good idea" or a "best practice" there is no rule that says you need to do so. I have passed two exams using limited/no headings. In most cases, the only organization I really used was listing subparts (if there were any) for each question just so the grader knew I was answering subsection A, B, C... Otherwise, I used IRAC or CRAC format, answered the question presented and did perfectly fine. Take a deep breath, points are not awarded for headings nor are points deducted, it's about finding the key issues, appropriately analyzing them and coming to a proper conclusion - the heads certainly can "help" a grader work through your answers but are by no means required.

Yankees1313

New

Postby Yankees1313 » Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:14 am

I was always under the impression it doesn’t matter what conclusion you get, as long as you analyze and apply facts.

ndbigdave

Bronze

Postby ndbigdave » Thu Aug 02, 2018 12:05 pm

Yankees1313 wrote:I was always under the impression it doesn’t matter what conclusion you get, as long as you analyze and apply facts.

I think that may be overstating it - the conclusion is the least important of the factors, but it isn't like it doesn't matter at all. Finding the relevant issues and then applying the right law/exception to the facts is the key, using/knowing/applying the right analysis should generally lead to the right conclusion.

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum?