Intentionally failing the bar exam just to get access to current MBE questions?

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
FinallyPassedTheBar

Bronze

Intentionally failing the bar exam just to get access to current MBE questions?

Postby FinallyPassedTheBar » Sat Jul 28, 2018 12:47 am

I was talking to a friend who said the big bar review courses are sending employees/contractors to intentionally fail the bar exam. The reason is so that the employees/contractors can read the current MBE questions to develop their own "simulated" questions. They are already attorneys licensed in other states, so they don't have any interest in passing the bar again.

Anyone else hear of such things? I remember the guy who originally created PMBR said he took the exam almost every year. I think he was sued, but I don't remember the reason.

Nightcrawler

Bronze

Re: Intentionally failing the bar exam just to get access to current MBE questions?

Postby Nightcrawler » Sat Jul 28, 2018 1:16 am

FinallyPassedTheBar wrote:I was talking to a friend who said the big bar review courses are sending employees/contractors to intentionally fail the bar exam. The reason is so that the employees/contractors can read the current MBE questions to develop their own "simulated" questions. They are already attorneys licensed in other states, so they don't have any interest in passing the bar again.

Anyone else hear of such things? I remember the guy who originally created PMBR said he took the exam almost every year. I think he was sued, but I don't remember the reason.

That’s amazing, I would love to know more about that. If barbri was doing that in the past though they must have stopped because their questions suck ahahah

malibustacy

Bronze

Re: Intentionally failing the bar exam just to get access to current MBE questions?

Postby malibustacy » Sat Jul 28, 2018 11:35 am

The feels when you're sitting there for the fifth time to take the bar to get the question formats for BarBri, and remember you had big dreams too once upon a time as a law student, say fuck BarBri, go rouge, and pass the bar exam to finally become a lawyer.

dabigchina

Silver

Postby dabigchina » Sat Jul 28, 2018 12:45 pm

I wouldn't be surprised. The Themis PR lecturer mentioned she had taken then bar in 7 states. Theres no real reason for anyone to do this unless she actually wanted to see what the exams were like.

BlondeLawyer

New

Postby BlondeLawyer » Sat Jul 28, 2018 3:46 pm

I have heard this from a few sources. The blow back from that is state specific days for exams like Florida will just get harder. Florida seems to be curving down and crushing people.

maga

New

Postby maga » Sun Jul 29, 2018 3:36 am

If I were an employer trying to get access to all the MBE questions, I'd hire someone with photographic memory and make bank. You would obviously want to change the fact patterns and modify the options a bit.

Taking the BAR exam this July, I realized they tell you that if you do not sit in on the 1st day essay portion, they will not allow you to sit on the MBE portion of the exam to, what I'm assuming, this particular sort of thing from happening.

ndbigdave

Bronze

Postby ndbigdave » Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:23 pm

maga wrote:If I were an employer trying to get access to all the MBE questions, I'd hire someone with photographic memory and make bank. You would obviously want to change the fact patterns and modify the options a bit.

Taking the BAR exam this July, I realized they tell you that if you do not sit in on the 1st day essay portion, they will not allow you to sit on the MBE portion of the exam to, what I'm assuming, this particular sort of thing from happening.

Certainly makes sense and I would do it if I ran such a company Id love to get access to recent questions and style (it makes sense on paper), but as previously mentioned, without someone having a photographic memory, not entirely sure what you could glean? Maybe remember a few questions?

Having to live through the first day is simple, especially if the real goal is to look at the MBE questions - just write some crap on Day 1. Not sure that is really an issue.

FinallyPassedTheBar

Bronze

Postby FinallyPassedTheBar » Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:36 pm

ndbigdave wrote:
maga wrote:If I were an employer trying to get access to all the MBE questions, I'd hire someone with photographic memory and make bank. You would obviously want to change the fact patterns and modify the options a bit.

Certainly makes sense and I would do it if I ran such a company Id love to get access to recent questions and style (it makes sense on paper), but as previously mentioned, without someone having a photographic memory, not entirely sure what you could glean? Maybe remember a few questions?

Having to live through the first day is simple, especially if the real goal is to look at the MBE questions - just write some crap on Day 1. Not sure that is really an issue.

I think people without photographic memories can remember up to 7-10 questions with some training. They just have to furiously write them down during the lunch break or after the exam. Get 10 people to take the test, each one remembering 10 questions from the morning and afternoon, and you got yourself 200 questions. Of course some of the questions will likely overlap, and some will be missed, since the test booklets rearrange all the questions.

Wild Card

Bronze

Postby Wild Card » Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:56 pm

Pretty sure the guy next to me was doing this. Didn't hear him typing, or feel the table moving (as it would be if he were bubbling in answers). I even looked over at him to see wtf he was doing. It seemed as if he were studying the questions.

Tony48

New

Postby Tony48 » Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:27 am

One of my law school professors said that Barbri does this. But you have to sign some type of honor code indicating that you're only taking the test for a specific purpose (or something like that), sooooo......

Bottom line: I've heard this, too.

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum?