TX Feb 2019 Bar Exam Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
dtjustice

New

TX Feb 2019 Bar Exam

Post by dtjustice » Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:59 pm

Welcome aboard for those starting to study for February 2019 Texas Bar Exam. I already have up my WhatsApp group, let me know if you would like to join!!

Debbie
325-267-1160
Make sure you have the WhatsApp app download and send me your first name!

Bla Bla Bla Blah

Bronze

Re: TX Feb 2019 Bar Exam

Post by Bla Bla Bla Blah » Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:16 pm

I will either be taking this Feb, or next July depending on how busy life is at my firm/when I can get them to pay for it. But want in on this thread so I can follow any advice. I am curious if anyone knows if there is a non-big box strategy that correlates with how I approached the CA exam. It is essentially as follows:

1. Adaptibar computer/smartphone MBE testing.

2. Critical pass flash cards for MBE rule memorization.

3. How to Write for the CA Bar book with strategies, past tests, and examples/analysis for each one of those tests.

4. Leansheet 1-3 page outlines for state topics.

5. MP3 Lectures for all federal topics, which I religiously listened to in the background when I was not actively studying.

If there is a comparable study routine for Texas, I would love to hear about it and where I might look for the material!

MBernard

Post by MBernard » Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:13 pm

Bla Bla Bla Blah wrote:I will either be taking this Feb, or next July depending on how busy life is at my firm/when I can get them to pay for it. But want in on this thread so I can follow any advice. I am curious if anyone knows if there is a non-big box strategy that correlates with how I approached the CA exam. It is essentially as follows:

1. Adaptibar computer/smartphone MBE testing.

2. Critical pass flash cards for MBE rule memorization.

3. How to Write for the CA Bar book with strategies, past tests, and examples/analysis for each one of those tests.

4. Leansheet 1-3 page outlines for state topics.

5. MP3 Lectures for all federal topics, which I religiously listened to in the background when I was not actively studying.

If there is a comparable study routine for Texas, I would love to hear about it and where I might look for the material!

Honestly, your study approach seems solid and I think so long as you stay the course you should have no problem passing. I'll give you my brief background and offer some suggestions. I was an out-of-stater when I passed the February Texas Bar Exam (2018) first time and I'm currently waiting on the results for the July 2018 Ca bar exam. I created a very similar structured study plan to the one you are describing for both exams. The big difference (aside scoring and subject matter for the essays) for Texas is that you're going to have to also incorporate Procedure & Evidence exams (worth 10%).

I. Procedure & Evidence (10%): The best way to tackle the P/E exams is to look at past exams posted on the Texas Board of Law Examiners site. Generally, examinees find the civil portion of the exam easy (lot of repeat questions from older tests) whereas the criminal portion is no longer as straightforward. This is further complicated by the fact the Texas Board of Law Examiners is no longer offering answers to either section from what I heard.... If you look at past P/E exams you'll note the BLE offers the correct solutions for the older exams. The resource I used to pass this part of the test was a 2017 used filled-in copy of Barbri's lecture notes for Texas as well as the past exams posted by the BLE. Probably try to do 1 P/E every other day, you're bound to see repeat questions on test day. Expect some obscure questions for the CRIM section and also make sure you know Texas specific timing requirements/deadlines.

II. Essays (40%): I used CREAC form but I think IRAC works as well. The essay writing style is not nearly as formalistic as California and the Examiners are very direct about what they are asking for in the question. Topics such as Wills, Estate Administration, Trusts, Corporations, and Agency are nearly identical to California from what I recall. Texas is also a community property state which also should help you out. The crappy part is that the Texas Specific Subjects are tough probably more difficult in terms of subject matter than what is on the Ca bar exam. But the good news is the BLE repeats questions, sometimes verbatim, and they are very direct in terms of what they want you to write about. Oil and gas, commercial papers, Texas Consumer Law, Texas Family law, and Texas Property (not that bad) are ones out-of-staters should direct attention to. Secured Transactions, Contracts and sales will also probably be there and possibly Guardianships (Texas rotates between this and Trusts, only one will be present on the exam). Bankruptcy and Income Tax are more idle threats on the part of the BLE, if these topics are present it will be as a cross-over. I used both previous exams posted on the Texas BLE website as well as a copy of the 2017 Barbri lecture notes. I've never used leansheets as a resource. I'd recommend doing at least 2-3 essays per day during a 10 week study period if possible. Similar to Ca there's at or near as many testable subject areas (I left out a few). This is the worst part of the test (at least for me due to unfamiliarity w/subject matter) and similar to Ca you need to be prepared for anything.

III. MBE (40%): Adaptibar and Critical pass are great resources for this part, just stick with those. From what I recall, you want to hit a 135. I typically did 50 a day, same thing I did for Ca, and I scored in the 150s for TX. Since you passed Ca I'm sure you're fairly solid with this part.

IV. MPT (10%): Same as Ca, just worth slightly less. I didn't study for the MPT either for Ca or TX.

The only resource that I used for TX that differed from the materials you listed was the Barbri lecture notes book I purchased on eBay (also didn't use lectures or lean sheets). I'd also recommend Barbri's testing for Texas book as it'll have some of the older essays. The resources you used for Ca are definitely compatible with independent studying for TX (Adaptibar, Critical Pass, Past Exams on the BLE site). If you choose to use lean sheets make sure that they cover all the Texas subjects as well as the P/E subjects. Also, Texas is a three day test with the first day being a half day. Overall in comparison to Ca, you'll probably find a similarly structured study routine to be a good idea. So maybe like 2-3 essays, 50 MBEs and then a P/E every other day. In terms of difficulty I think TX might be similar to Ca but that might stem primarily with my initial extreme unfamiliarity with the Texas subjects, how exhausting the three day format is, and the fact that TX was my first bar exam. To be honest, I definitely felt more comfortable leaving the Ca bar exam but I haven't received the results yet (so who knows?). TX is totally beatable if you commit to it and as I mentioned the essay style is not nearly as formalistic or rigid like Ca . The 40% pass rate in Feb is definitely an anomaly, normally the numbers are a lot healthier. Best of luck, it's a trial but its worth it have a Bar license signed by all the members of the TX Supreme Court. That's probably the coolest part lol.

medusachu

New

Post by medusachu » Sat Sep 01, 2018 10:53 pm

Checking in. Out-of-state 1st time taker.

Indianromeo

New

Post by Indianromeo » Fri Sep 07, 2018 7:52 pm

Here! Austin. Anyone else in the same boat? I'm studying mostly at the PCL at UT. Volunteering part-time so as to not go completely nuts. Using savings to keep myself going (long story). So that's my story!

If you're in Austin let's please hang and commiserate!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

dtjustice

New

Post by dtjustice » Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:14 pm

Now that results are out.... just a reminder that we have a strong and supportive study group on WhatsApp. Just message me on the app or text me with your first name... Hope to see you there!

Debbie
(325) 267-1160

lalalaw24

New

Failed July. What do I do now?

Post by lalalaw24 » Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:24 am

Hey y’all.

I failed July, and I feel absolutely broken. I graduated from a T20 law school with a 90some% pass rate. Almost everyone I know passed the bar, and I feel awful. I studied with Themis, finished about 90% of the course (of course there were some times here and there where I could’ve written out essays a little better, read outlines more thoroughly, etc. but I still finished most of the course), and in the last couple of days leading up to the exam I reviewed old essays and P&E’s. I certainly could have done things better, and I was only a few points away from passing, but that horrible empty feeling is still there. I have a few questions:

1. Anyone know how to deal with the depression so I can get back on my feet and finish February successfully?

2. Themis offers free repeat. Should I do that? I’m thinking of retaking Themis + Adaptibar. Is there anything for Tx essays? That’s where I really bombed anyways.

3. Finally, I have a job related question. I was working at a place with an agreement I would be hired once I passed the bar. That didn’t happen. Should I try to work part-time? My supervisor told me to take a few days and then we would talk. I’m not sure if the place I worked has the resources to hire a non-attorney (it’s government work). They might let me stay on as an unpaid intern. My parents are wonderful and said they would financially support me if I want to just study and not work. I would honestly rather spend all my energy on passing the bar, but do y’all think it would look bad to have that hole in my resume? Or would it be better to take the part-time or unpaid internship? Idk how employers look at taking time off to study for the bar again.

Nybar2015

New

Re: Failed July. What do I do now?

Post by Nybar2015 » Tue Oct 30, 2018 1:55 pm

lalalaw24 wrote:Hey y’all.

I failed July, and I feel absolutely broken. I graduated from a T20 law school with a 90some% pass rate. Almost everyone I know passed the bar, and I feel awful. I studied with Themis, finished about 90% of the course (of course there were some times here and there where I could’ve written out essays a little better, read outlines more thoroughly, etc. but I still finished most of the course), and in the last couple of days leading up to the exam I reviewed old essays and P&E’s. I certainly could have done things better, and I was only a few points away from passing, but that horrible empty feeling is still there. I have a few questions:

1. Anyone know how to deal with the depression so I can get back on my feet and finish February successfully?

2. Themis offers free repeat. Should I do that? I’m thinking of retaking Themis + Adaptibar. Is there anything for Tx essays? That’s where I really bombed anyways.

3. Finally, I have a job related question. I was working at a place with an agreement I would be hired once I passed the bar. That didn’t happen. Should I try to work part-time? My supervisor told me to take a few days and then we would talk. I’m not sure if the place I worked has the resources to hire a non-attorney (it’s government work). They might let me stay on as an unpaid intern. My parents are wonderful and said they would financially support me if I want to just study and not work. I would honestly rather spend all my energy on passing the bar, but do y’all think it would look bad to have that hole in my resume? Or would it be better to take the part-time or unpaid internship? Idk how employers look at taking time off to study for the bar again.

I feel you just need support for the exam. please take your parents help and give your 200% and get it done with the exam. Thats what I am going to do and cannot waste anymore time and money on an exam.

Electricella

New

Post by Electricella » Wed Oct 31, 2018 12:33 am

lalalaw24 wrote: I feel you just need support for the exam. please take your parents help and give your 200% and get it done with the exam. Thats what I am going to do and cannot waste anymore time and money on an exam.
Second that. If you feel like you need it, take the time off, you want to make sure the second try is your last and successful one, so don’t worry about the money, accept help and attack this thing!
For essays I strongly recommend BLE website with essays for past years (at least do 2016,2017,2018) + some essay book (maybe a used barbri book? Should be about 150$).
AdaptiBar is great for the MBE, as well as the Emmanuel’s book.
Good luck and be strong!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Electricella

New

Post by Electricella » Wed Oct 31, 2018 1:11 am

Dear Nybar2015, please, read this, I just passed and I think this is a very good approach!
Good luck!
Nybar2015 wrote:
Help with study approach wrote:
MBernard wrote:
Bla Bla Bla Blah wrote:
Honestly, your study approach seems solid and I think so long as you stay the course you should have no problem passing. I'll give you my brief background and offer some suggestions. I was an out-of-stater when I passed the February Texas Bar Exam (2018) first time and I'm currently waiting on the results for the July 2018 Ca bar exam. I created a very similar structured study plan to the one you are describing for both exams. The big difference (aside scoring and subject matter for the essays) for Texas is that you're going to have to also incorporate Procedure & Evidence exams (worth 10%).

I. Procedure & Evidence (10%): The best way to tackle the P/E exams is to look at past exams posted on the Texas Board of Law Examiners site. Generally, examinees find the civil portion of the exam easy (lot of repeat questions from older tests) whereas the criminal portion is no longer as straightforward. This is further complicated by the fact the Texas Board of Law Examiners is no longer offering answers to either section from what I heard.... If you look at past P/E exams you'll note the BLE offers the correct solutions for the older exams. The resource I used to pass this part of the test was a 2017 used filled-in copy of Barbri's lecture notes for Texas as well as the past exams posted by the BLE. Probably try to do 1 P/E every other day, you're bound to see repeat questions on test day. Expect some obscure questions for the CRIM section and also make sure you know Texas specific timing requirements/deadlines.

II. Essays (40%): I used CREAC form but I think IRAC works as well. The essay writing style is not nearly as formalistic as California and the Examiners are very direct about what they are asking for in the question. Topics such as Wills, Estate Administration, Trusts, Corporations, and Agency are nearly identical to California from what I recall. Texas is also a community property state which also should help you out. The crappy part is that the Texas Specific Subjects are tough probably more difficult in terms of subject matter than what is on the Ca bar exam. But the good news is the BLE repeats questions, sometimes verbatim, and they are very direct in terms of what they want you to write about. Oil and gas, commercial papers, Texas Consumer Law, Texas Family law, and Texas Property (not that bad) are ones out-of-staters should direct attention to. Secured Transactions, Contracts and sales will also probably be there and possibly Guardianships (Texas rotates between this and Trusts, only one will be present on the exam). Bankruptcy and Income Tax are more idle threats on the part of the BLE, if these topics are present it will be as a cross-over. I used both previous exams posted on the Texas BLE website as well as a copy of the 2017 Barbri lecture notes. I've never used leansheets as a resource. I'd recommend doing at least 2-3 essays per day during a 10 week study period if possible. Similar to Ca there's at or near as many testable subject areas (I left out a few). This is the worst part of the test (at least for me due to unfamiliarity w/subject matter) and similar to Ca you need to be prepared for anything.

III. MBE (40%): Adaptibar and Critical pass are great resources for this part, just stick with those. From what I recall, you want to hit a 135. I typically did 50 a day, same thing I did for Ca, and I scored in the 150s for TX. Since you passed Ca I'm sure you're fairly solid with this part.

IV. MPT (10%): Same as Ca, just worth slightly less. I didn't study for the MPT either for Ca or TX.

The only resource that I used for TX that differed from the materials you listed was the Barbri lecture notes book I purchased on eBay (also didn't use lectures or lean sheets). I'd also recommend Barbri's testing for Texas book as it'll have some of the older essays. The resources you used for Ca are definitely compatible with independent studying for TX (Adaptibar, Critical Pass, Past Exams on the BLE site). If you choose to use lean sheets make sure that they cover all the Texas subjects as well as the P/E subjects. Also, Texas is a three day test with the first day being a half day. Overall in comparison to Ca, you'll probably find a similarly structured study routine to be a good idea. So maybe like 2-3 essays, 50 MBEs and then a P/E every other day. In terms of difficulty I think TX might be similar to Ca but that might stem primarily with my initial extreme unfamiliarity with the Texas subjects, how exhausting the three day format is, and the fact that TX was my first bar exam. To be honest, I definitely felt more comfortable leaving the Ca bar exam but I haven't received the results yet (so who knows?). TX is totally beatable if you commit to it and as I mentioned the essay style is not nearly as formalistic or rigid like Ca . The 40% pass rate in Feb is definitely an anomaly, normally the numbers are a lot healthier. Best of luck, it's a trial but its worth it have a Bar license signed by all the members of the TX Supreme Court. That's probably the coolest part lol.

MBernard

Post by MBernard » Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:30 pm

lalalaw24 wrote: 1. Anyone know how to deal with the depression so I can get back on my feet and finish February successfully
Sincerely sorry you were unsuccessful on your first attempt. TX is a tough exam and I wouldn’t beat yourself up over failing. I’d advise talking with either a close family member or someone who cares concerning your feelings about the test. Doesn’t matter if they’re not a lawyer or that they do not understand the exam. Just talk with them about the test, what you think went wrong and how you are going to do better. Treat this as a carthasis or a confession. Promise that person though that if they take the time to listen to your story you (1) won’t talk about it again and (2) that you will fully commit your effort to passing.
lalalaw24 wrote:2. Themis offers free repeat. Should I do that? I’m thinking of retaking Themis + Adaptibar. Is there anything for Tx essays? That’s where I really bombed anyways.
I think I’d have to know a little more about what Themis offers if you retake. If retaking will just give you access to online lectures, fill in the blank exercises, multiple choice questions concerning how well you’ve read a subject’s primer, and motivational videos then my answer is no. All of those items mentioned are not necessary to pass the bar examination.

All you really need from Themis is a book with condensed outlines of the essay topics and a book containing older TX essay examinations that are not available on the TBLE site. To get better at the essays practice using CREAC and go through 2 essays everyday for a 10 week study period. Look at example answers on the TBLE site. You will get better.

Adaptibar is great for the MBE. Do 50 questions a day and review questions you got wrong. Keep a log of what you got wrong on a legal pad (handwrite it out) and review this periodically.
lalalaw24 wrote:3. Finally, I have a job related question. I was working at a place with an agreement I would be hired once I passed the bar. That didn’t happen. Should I try to work part-time? My supervisor told me to take a few days and then we would talk. I’m not sure if the place I worked has the resources to hire a non-attorney (it’s government work). They might let me stay on as an unpaid intern. My parents are wonderful and said they would financially support me if I want to just study and not work. I would honestly rather spend all my energy on passing the bar, but do y’all think it would look bad to have that hole in my resume? Or would it be better to take the part-time or unpaid internship? Idk how employers look at taking time off to study for the bar again.
I agree with the folks above. Take your parents up on their offer and kill this bar exam. Your career can’t begin until you pass. I passed back to back bar exams via self study. TX in Feb18 and California in J18. I have many interviews lined up despite taking time off. It’s not a big deal imo. I’ve proved my competency by passing two of the hardest bar exams in the country. You will pass as well. Just put in the time and treat it like a full time job.

Best of luck!

gh0stleader

New

Post by gh0stleader » Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:03 am

Hey everyone,

I hope Bar prep is going well for everyone studying for the F/19 Exam.

Any one (I know that is unheard of to study for the bar w/out a prep service but you never know these days) who isn't taking a prep course, I have a full set of Barbri 2015/2016 books that are unmarked and unused.

If you're in the Houston area, feel free to pick them up from me in the Woodlands.

Anywhere else, just cover the shipping and they're yours.

LegallyKatie

New

Post by LegallyKatie » Tue Jan 01, 2019 7:38 pm

I tutor for the Texas Bar Exam in person (Houston area) and online if you decide to go a different route for February's Bar Exam. I passed the test my first time, using only my own study materials with no commercial prep course. I also work part time for my alma mater tutoring for the Exam. I have developed a few tricks for the MBE and essays specifically, and I have a ton of experience working with students at all levels. LMK if you would like to know more information. Either way, good luck with your studies! I know you'll do awesome in February!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Imnewhere

New

Post by Imnewhere » Tue Jan 01, 2019 9:17 pm

Do it again! You can do it!

bobbykgarcia

New

Post by bobbykgarcia » Thu Jan 03, 2019 2:31 pm

Hi guys checking in. Starting to freak out but I will get through this!

Houstonttt

New

Post by Houstonttt » Wed Mar 06, 2019 2:52 am

WHAT DO YOU think about it ?? I feel I totally guessed the MBE :(

Houstonttt

New

Post by Houstonttt » Fri May 03, 2019 8:35 am

Hope Feb way better for you!!
I feel your pain
Plz say you get over it and already passed!!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”