People who passed the bar before - did you leave something completely w/o studying and still pass Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
bigLexcited

New

People who passed the bar before - did you leave something completely w/o studying and still pass

Post by bigLexcited » Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:57 pm

I'm planning to leave conflicts and commercial paper (too complicated and not worth it). Im pretty sure I don't remember a whole lot of shit from the other essay subjects.

I spent too much time on the MBE and i still feel like a lot of the rules/ specifics leak out of my brain when I'm asleep. I'm revising right now and I legit feel like a lot of this stuff I just didnt remember before now despite doing them over and over again.

I'm averaging anything between 50-60%.

I always narrow down to the 2 most accurate options and somehow end up picking the wrong ones. I'm either totally out of luck or just very bad at MCQ/ standardized testing.

I feel super underprepared.

Can those who passed the bar feeling (similarly underprepared) pls indulge my anxiety and tell me its okay?

And those who are still preparing - good luck and god speed to you all!

funkenstein

New

Re: People who passed the bar before - did you leave something completely w/o studying and still pass

Post by funkenstein » Sat Jul 21, 2018 11:26 pm

not my personal experience so take it for what it's worth.

My friend, who I have to admit is very smart and studied really hard during law school, said she procrastinated studying for the bar and never even got to a few subjects but she still passed.

tiffannybrown

New

Re: People who passed the bar before - did you leave something completely w/o studying and still pass

Post by tiffannybrown » Sat Jul 21, 2018 11:31 pm

Everyone feels like this, don't let yourself get in the way of you (is that the saying? my brain is fried too)

I don't think leaving out some topics is so bad, you can't know everything on this exam. But i would suggest not leaving out COL- it is really simple (there are legit 4 rules) if you know them you can BS anything down. I can even email you my 6 page outline (3 double sided) if you want. It will probably take you 10 minutes to memorize, and if there is a question on it, its an easy way for points.

L_William_W

Bronze

Post by L_William_W » Sun Jul 22, 2018 12:41 am

bigLexcited wrote:I'm planning to leave conflicts and commercial paper (too complicated and not worth it). Im pretty sure I don't remember a whole lot of shit from the other essay subjects.

I spent too much time on the MBE and i still feel like a lot of the rules/ specifics leak out of my brain when I'm asleep. I'm revising right now and I legit feel like a lot of this stuff I just didnt remember before now despite doing them over and over again.

I always narrow down to the 2 most accurate options and somehow end up picking the wrong ones. I'm either totally out of luck or just very bad at MCQ/ standardized testing.

Can those who passed the bar feeling (similarly underprepared) pls indulge my anxiety and tell me its okay?

I passed NY on attempt #3 in July 2017.

I didn't completely ignore a subject. However, I knew that there were some subjects that I was stronger in than others. With that in mind, I made a game plan. On the MBE, Civ Pro was a nightmare. Torts, on the other hand, I could do half drunk. Con law was anther subject that I was fairly confident in. I decided to study extra hard in my stronger subjects in order to compensate for the weaker subjects. I still studied Civ Pro, but I just went through the motions.

The MPT was the bane of my existence since the grading is subjective and you don't have enough time to write a coherent essay. I spent extra time preparing for the MEE's while just doing the best I can on the MPT. My combined MPT and MEE score was a 128.7, which is failing. I didn't get a breakdown of the individual scores, but I know I got my ass handed to me on the MPT. My 149.3 MBE helped me pass the overall UBE with a 278. And if it makes you feel any better, the first time I took the bar, my MBE was a 118.6.

On Sunday, study like there's no tomorrow. On Monday, study in the morning and early afternoon but then take it easy in the evening. On Tuesday, handle your business.

L_William_W

Bronze

Post by L_William_W » Sun Jul 22, 2018 12:43 am

bigLexcited wrote:I'm planning to leave conflicts and commercial paper (too complicated and not worth it). Im pretty sure I don't remember a whole lot of shit from the other essay subjects.

I passed NY on attempt #3 in July 2017.

I didn't completely ignore a subject. However, I knew that there were some subjects that I was stronger in than others. With that in mind, I made a game plan. On the MBE, Civ Pro was a nightmare. Torts, on the other hand, I could do half drunk. Con law was anther subject that I was fairly confident in. I decided to study extra hard in my stronger subjects in order to compensate for the weaker subjects. I still studied Civ Pro, but I just went through the motions.

The MPT was the bane of my existence since the grading is subjective and you don't have enough time to write a coherent essay. I spent extra time preparing for the MEE's while just doing the best I can on the MPT. My combined MPT and MEE score was a 128.7, which is failing. I didn't get a breakdown of the individual scores, but I know I got my ass handed to me on the MPT. My 149.3 MBE helped me pass the overall UBE with a 278. And if it makes you feel any better, the first time I took the bar, my MBE was a 118.6.

On Sunday, study like there's no tomorrow. On Monday, study in the morning and early afternoon but then take it easy in the evening. On Tuesday, handle your business.

One more thing: when in doubt, choose a statement of law over a statement of fact.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

dixiecup

New

Post by dixiecup » Sun Jul 22, 2018 1:12 am

Yes, this has happened to many bar takes but it's completely irrelevant to your situation. You want us to tell you it's OK to skip topics, but we can't do that. There's no way we can know what will be on the exam. Even if we had a statistical survey of every topic on the bar exam over the last 20 years, and thus could find the topics that are never covered -- that would STILL not be helpful because this might be the weird year those topics are covered on an essay.

So close this worthless thread and get back to studying.

justanotheruser

Bronze

Post by justanotheruser » Sun Jul 22, 2018 3:35 am

I know you're looking for someone to say it's alright, but... this mentality is why I failed the CA bar as many times as I did (5 times). When I finally passed the Feb. 2018 CA bar, it was basically because I covered every subject... although I put more emphasis on some subjects over others.

jcwest

New

Post by jcwest » Sun Jul 22, 2018 12:25 pm

This is my first attempt. I'm scoring between 70% - 76% on mixed sets and 75% on the last practice test.

I have gone over every subject AND I still do not feel entirely prepared. At this point, your best bet is to at least get a handle on holder status vs. HDC status, the defenses for both, the basic requirements of a NI, and the defenses to improperly executed NI. Really, its not that hard.

ajel190

New

Post by ajel190 » Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:49 pm

Commercial paper. Also abandoned it when taking the bar in a second state.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

albanach

Gold

Post by albanach » Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:56 pm

There were definitely some areas I knew less well. If no one has done it before for your state, it's worth mapping out all the questions that have been asked in the past ten years by topic. Some are tested much less frequently whereas others come up each and every year. I'd recommend that, if you're not going to get to a topic, that it be the former not the later.

SaiyanRose

New

Post by SaiyanRose » Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:04 pm

do the opposite, prepare for it you still got time just to prevent they throw it at you.

b290

Bronze

Post by b290 » Sat Oct 06, 2018 11:00 pm

albanach wrote:There were definitely some areas I knew less well. If no one has done it before for your state, it's worth mapping out all the questions that have been asked in the past ten years by topic. Some are tested much less frequently whereas others come up each and every year. I'd recommend that, if you're not going to get to a topic, that it be the former not the later.
This. The only way it's not gambling. For the one that finally put me over the hump (having taken it a few times before), I didn't study Secured at all - and it didn't show up. However, from the previous times, I had enough residual knowledge to BS my way through if it did.

But still know the basics for each subject, which really means no "skipping" If you have a mini-outline (like Themis' FROs, or LeanSheets, Magicsheets), at least go through that.

My $.02

Findedeux

Bronze

Post by Findedeux » Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:23 pm

I never did anything on Trusts and Wills aside from the initial mini-lecture outline with Themis.

There was a Wills and Trusts question and I had no clue.

Still somehow managed to get an average written score.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

sprintin23

New

Post by sprintin23 » Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:10 pm

I left no stone un-turned and I am glad I did it that way. In Ohio, I neglected Professional Responsibility until the last week. Something told me to set some time aside for it and I did. Low and behold, it showed up toward the end of the exam and I ended up with a 6 on the essay. That score turned out the be the difference maker.

Lawworld19

Bronze

Post by Lawworld19 » Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:49 pm

sprintin23 wrote:I left no stone un-turned and I am glad I did it that way. In Ohio, I neglected Professional Responsibility until the last week. Something told me to set some time aside for it and I did. Low and behold, it showed up toward the end of the exam and I ended up with a 6 on the essay. That score turned out the be the difference maker.

Wait, wait, wait?

How did you already get your results for Ohio back? Aren't they coming out Friday?

Lawworld19

Bronze

Post by Lawworld19 » Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:53 pm

sprintin23 wrote:I left no stone un-turned and I am glad I did it that way. In Ohio, I neglected Professional Responsibility until the last week. Something told me to set some time aside for it and I did. Low and behold, it showed up toward the end of the exam and I ended up with a 6 on the essay. That score turned out the be the difference maker.
I took July 18 Ohio.

To get that 142 did you feel like you guessed a ton?

Essays were really weird in my opinion. Had to BS a few essays. Other essays I knew usually the main topics with a few sub topics feeling shaky on. I really don't know. First half of the MBE was not bad, second was terrible. I feel like I didn't pass unfortunately.

Lawworld19

Bronze

Post by Lawworld19 » Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:56 pm

How much did you end up passing by? Like how much over 405?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

sprintin23

New

Post by sprintin23 » Wed Oct 24, 2018 3:37 pm

This was last February. Ill have to check my score sheet but I think it was 407 or something like that. I had a 142 on the MBE if that helps.

Lawworld19

Bronze

Post by Lawworld19 » Wed Oct 24, 2018 3:56 pm

:oops:
sprintin23 wrote:This was last February. Ill have to check my score sheet but I think it was 407 or something like that. I had a 142 on the MBE if that helps.
Man now I'm really scared. A 142 for Ohio is pretty good. Did you just bomb the essays? My friend got a 130 mbe and got a 414. I for sure failed then.

PeanutsNJam

Gold

Post by PeanutsNJam » Wed Oct 24, 2018 4:12 pm

I passed with a 321 UBE and 161 MBE. I watched all the lecture videos, but I did maybe 4 practice essays total and sorta punted property, with 60% Barbri completion. Practice one MPT.

Don’t get stressed out by people studying like crazy. I played a ton of video games. Just watch the lectures, review the outlines, and do practice MBEs.

sprintin23

New

Post by sprintin23 » Wed Oct 24, 2018 4:21 pm

I wouldn't say I bombed the essays because there were a few 6's and 5's in there. I would say that the only low score I agreed with was evidence. Corporations, I wrote some crazy gobbledygook and got a 6. In Conlaw, I crafted a masterpiece( at least I thought) and ended up with a 2. It's just how it is. It all depends on who grades it.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Lawworld19

Bronze

Post by Lawworld19 » Wed Oct 24, 2018 4:25 pm

sprintin23 wrote:I wouldn't say I bombed the essays because there were a few 6's and 5's in there. I would say that the only low score I agreed with was evidence. Corporations, I wrote some crazy gobbledygook and got a 6. In Conlaw, I crafted a masterpiece( at least I thought) and ended up with a 2. It's just how it is. It all depends on who grades it.
You feel like you guessed on a ton of mbe?

Lawworld19

Bronze

Post by Lawworld19 » Wed Oct 24, 2018 4:26 pm

Lawworld19 wrote:
sprintin23 wrote:I wouldn't say I bombed the essays because there were a few 6's and 5's in there. I would say that the only low score I agreed with was evidence. Corporations, I wrote some crazy gobbledygook and got a 6. In Conlaw, I crafted a masterpiece( at least I thought) and ended up with a 2. It's just how it is. It all depends on who grades it.
My friend got a 130 mbe then their writing was in the 69 percentile which landed her a 414.

sprintin23

New

Post by sprintin23 » Wed Oct 24, 2018 5:01 pm

Lawworld19 wrote:
There were some where I just held my nose and guessed, especially in the PM section. I don't know what the hell they were smoking on when they wrote the questions because some were just off the wall. My guess they were experimental, who knows? I finished both sections with about 2 or 3 minutes to spare.

Calbears123

Bronze

Post by Calbears123 » Wed Oct 24, 2018 5:16 pm

175.4 MBE 151 MEE/MPT (handwrote).

I studied 95% mbe subjects. My MEE studying was reading barbri model answers (I did zero outlining). I did zero MPT prep and my first MPT was on the actual exam.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”