AUGUST 2018 - MPRE DISCUSSION

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
User avatar
Neilt001

Moderator
Posts: 259
Joined: Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:35 pm

AUGUST 2018 - MPRE DISCUSSION

Postby Neilt001 » Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:07 am

Hi all, thought I'd start a thread for those writing the MPRE on August12.

Anyone who's written the MPRE have any tips, guidance, recommendations, suggestions for studying?

I hear you only need like 2 weeks of evening study (I work full time and am using Themis). Does that sound about right? Would just one week of study work?

Also is it hard?

Thanks!!

gasfard

New
Posts: 28
Joined: Mon Oct 30, 2017 2:02 am

Re: AUGUST 2018 - MPRE DISCUSSION

Postby gasfard » Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:29 am

Themis worked for me. I studied for about 2 weeks while in school.

User avatar
GFox345

Bronze
Posts: 294
Joined: Sun Jul 12, 2015 3:53 am

Re: AUGUST 2018 - MPRE DISCUSSION

Postby GFox345 » Sat Jul 21, 2018 3:35 pm

Don't you mean August 11, or do they administer the MPRE on Sundays in some jurisdictions? I am studying for it now.

kyle010723

Silver
Posts: 1176
Joined: Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:55 pm

Re: AUGUST 2018 - MPRE DISCUSSION

Postby kyle010723 » Sun Jul 22, 2018 4:45 pm

Neilt001 wrote:Hi all, thought I'd start a thread for those writing the MPRE on August12.

Anyone who's written the MPRE have any tips, guidance, recommendations, suggestions for studying?

I hear you only need like 2 weeks of evening study (I work full time and am using Themis). Does that sound about right? Would just one week of study work?

Also is it hard?

Thanks!!


Watch that 4 hours Barbri video (free, I assume Themis is probably the same) is really all you have to do. It shouldn't take 2 weeks, at most a weekend.

Ava1989

New
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun Jul 22, 2018 5:38 pm

Re: AUGUST 2018 - MPRE DISCUSSION

Postby Ava1989 » Sun Jul 22, 2018 5:49 pm

Studied for 10 days approx 5 hours/day. I know a lot of people say it's a very easy test but personally felt it still required some proper studying and memorisation. Though I never studied Professional Responsibility before nor went to law school in the US. But still my best advice would be not to underestimate the MPRE.

User avatar
Neilt001

Moderator
Posts: 259
Joined: Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:35 pm

Re: AUGUST 2018 - MPRE DISCUSSION

Postby Neilt001 » Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:33 am

GFox345 wrote:Don't you mean August 11, or do they administer the MPRE on Sundays in some jurisdictions? I am studying for it now.


Woops, yes you're right!

User avatar
Neilt001

Moderator
Posts: 259
Joined: Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:35 pm

Re: AUGUST 2018 - MPRE DISCUSSION

Postby Neilt001 » Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:36 am

Ok thanks all! Very helpful.

Seems to be a bit of variation in how long people study. I might try to hit somewhere around the middle.

Also just checking - it's all on paper with scantron answers? no written/computer component?

justanotheruser

Bronze
Posts: 147
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2015 10:57 pm

Re: AUGUST 2018 - MPRE DISCUSSION

Postby justanotheruser » Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:59 am

I failed the first time because I bought into the hype that all I needed was a good day and a half of cramming. Don't do the same.

Passed on my second attempt because I put in consistent work. Grabbed the Barbri book and studied about 1.5 to 2 hours each day for 5 days. Passed with flying colors.

User avatar
Neilt001

Moderator
Posts: 259
Joined: Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:35 pm

Re: AUGUST 2018 - MPRE DISCUSSION

Postby Neilt001 » Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:32 am

justanotheruser wrote:I failed the first time because I bought into the hype that all I needed was a good day and a half of cramming. Don't do the same.

Passed on my second attempt because I put in consistent work. Grabbed the Barbri book and studied about 1.5 to 2 hours each day for 5 days. Passed with flying colors.


Amazing, very good advice. Thank you. I do agree that some people tend to underestimate it. I get that it's not hard or whatever, but also I don't wanna fail and have to wait till November to try again. I've started studying on Themis already (I'm just doing bits and pieces. I know it's way too early but may as well make a start now.)

Tony48

New
Posts: 75
Joined: Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:47 pm

Re: AUGUST 2018 - MPRE DISCUSSION

Postby Tony48 » Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:41 pm

IIRC, I studied for a couple of weeks using Barbri and Kaplan (since they're both free).

Proper study and it'll be a piece of cake. The test isn't that hard, but it definitely shouldn't be underestimated.

User avatar
Neilt001

Moderator
Posts: 259
Joined: Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:35 pm

Re: AUGUST 2018 - MPRE DISCUSSION

Postby Neilt001 » Tue Jul 24, 2018 3:57 pm

Tony48 wrote:IIRC, I studied for a couple of weeks using Barbri and Kaplan (since they're both free).

Proper study and it'll be a piece of cake. The test isn't that hard, but it definitely shouldn't be underestimated.


Good call. yeah Themis is free too so I'll go with them (since I did the bar exam with them). Would certainly be shitty to fail the MPRE for failure to properly prepare!

User avatar
Neilt001

Moderator
Posts: 259
Joined: Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:35 pm

Re: AUGUST 2018 - MPRE DISCUSSION

Postby Neilt001 » Thu Jul 26, 2018 2:47 pm

Oh question - I just got my MPRE ticket and it sets out the exam day rules. Obviously no mobile phones, etc allowed in the test room.

But do you know if they generally provide a storage room for your stuff? I'm taking public transit all the way out to new jersey from Manhattan and I'll have my phone with me. I won't have anywhere to leave my stuff (like in a car), so I'll have real issues if they don't provide a cloak room.

Obviously all test centers are different but lemme know if you have any experience with this!

Thanks!

A25SH

New
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Jul 27, 2018 11:11 am

Re: AUGUST 2018 - MPRE DISCUSSION

Postby A25SH » Fri Jul 27, 2018 11:15 am

Themis was great! I got a 102 and started three weeks in advance so that I didnt have to study too much in the end. I just read the Themis outline two-three times and answered all the multiple choice questions.

jlolaw

New
Posts: 5
Joined: Fri May 11, 2018 5:56 pm

Re: AUGUST 2018 - MPRE DISCUSSION

Postby jlolaw » Sat Jul 28, 2018 12:49 am

A25SH wrote:Themis was great! I got a 102 and started three weeks in advance so that I didnt have to study too much in the end. I just read the Themis outline two-three times and answered all the multiple choice questions.


When you say you read the outline two-three times, are you talking about the main outline or the condensed/final version? I'm going through the prep now myself. I'm inclined to just read the outline and then go through practice Qs. Does anyone who took it already feel the lectures were helpful?

User avatar
Neilt001

Moderator
Posts: 259
Joined: Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:35 pm

Re: AUGUST 2018 - MPRE DISCUSSION

Postby Neilt001 » Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:21 am

jlolaw wrote:
A25SH wrote:Themis was great! I got a 102 and started three weeks in advance so that I didnt have to study too much in the end. I just read the Themis outline two-three times and answered all the multiple choice questions.


When you say you read the outline two-three times, are you talking about the main outline or the condensed/final version? I'm going through the prep now myself. I'm inclined to just read the outline and then go through practice Qs. Does anyone who took it already feel the lectures were helpful?


Damn that's a lot of reading. I was hoping to just do the lectures and the Qs and skip the outline (which is what I did for bar exam prep, which went well). I'm going to start studying tonight.

PL2018CU

New
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:16 am

Re: AUGUST 2018 - MPRE DISCUSSION

Postby PL2018CU » Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:28 am

I watched the free barbri lecture about 3-4 days before the exam and filled in the lecture handout. I then spent a few hours memorizing the handout (didn't even crack open the outline) and did one full practice exam the night before. Ended up getting a 126 but spent weeks worrying about it because I had studied so little. Don't do that. I was being dumb. I would recommend watching the lecture the Sunday before the exam, then studying the notes/skimming the outline on Monday. Barbri had four practice exams so I would do one per day for the rest of the week (spend 2 hours taking the exam then two hours reviewing it). It's not an easy exam but it's also not impossible.

User avatar
Neilt001

Moderator
Posts: 259
Joined: Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:35 pm

Re: AUGUST 2018 - MPRE DISCUSSION

Postby Neilt001 » Tue Jul 31, 2018 3:41 pm

PL2018CU wrote:I watched the free barbri lecture about 3-4 days before the exam and filled in the lecture handout. I then spent a few hours memorizing the handout (didn't even crack open the outline) and did one full practice exam the night before. Ended up getting a 126 but spent weeks worrying about it because I had studied so little. Don't do that. I was being dumb. I would recommend watching the lecture the Sunday before the exam, then studying the notes/skimming the outline on Monday. Barbri had four practice exams so I would do one per day for the rest of the week (spend 2 hours taking the exam then two hours reviewing it). It's not an easy exam but it's also not impossible.


Thanks! I'm almost done the 10 Themis lectures, and then I think I have 15 practice question sets, and then one practice exam. I reckon that should be enough. I've got a week and a half before the exam so should be ok?

A25SH

New
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Jul 27, 2018 11:11 am

Re: AUGUST 2018 - MPRE DISCUSSION

Postby A25SH » Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:37 pm

Neilt001 wrote:
jlolaw wrote:
A25SH wrote:Themis was great! I got a 102 and started three weeks in advance so that I didnt have to study too much in the end. I just read the Themis outline two-three times and answered all the multiple choice questions.


When you say you read the outline two-three times, are you talking about the main outline or the condensed/final version? I'm going through the prep now myself. I'm inclined to just read the outline and then go through practice Qs. Does anyone who took it already feel the lectures were helpful?


Damn that's a lot of reading. I was hoping to just do the lectures and the Qs and skip the outline (which is what I did for bar exam prep, which went well). I'm going to start studying tonight.



I read the condensed outline a few times. The lectures did not really help me for the MPRE. In fact I wish I could go back and not have watched them (waste of time). I would solely read the outline and then go through the practice questions. The questions on the actual test had a similar format to Themis and prepared me.

User avatar
Neilt001

Moderator
Posts: 259
Joined: Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:35 pm

Re: AUGUST 2018 - MPRE DISCUSSION

Postby Neilt001 » Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:31 am

A25SH wrote:
I read the condensed outline a few times. The lectures did not really help me for the MPRE. In fact I wish I could go back and not have watched them (waste of time). I would solely read the outline and then go through the practice questions. The questions on the actual test had a similar format to Themis and prepared me.


Glad to hear the Themis questions prepared you well enough.

My issue is that I learn better taking notes from lectures rather than reading slabs of text, which I likely won't memorize very well. I'm just hoping all the info I need to pass is contained in the lectures!

A25SH

New
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Jul 27, 2018 11:11 am

Re: AUGUST 2018 - MPRE DISCUSSION

Postby A25SH » Wed Aug 01, 2018 11:23 am

Neilt001 wrote:
A25SH wrote:
I read the condensed outline a few times. The lectures did not really help me for the MPRE. In fact I wish I could go back and not have watched them (waste of time). I would solely read the outline and then go through the practice questions. The questions on the actual test had a similar format to Themis and prepared me.


Glad to hear the Themis questions prepared you well enough.

My issue is that I learn better taking notes from lectures rather than reading slabs of text, which I likely won't memorize very well. I'm just hoping all the info I need to pass is contained in the lectures!


You will pass. I think the most helpful out of everything is practice. I was scoring low on all the practice questions but learned from them. so you'll be fine!

jlolaw

New
Posts: 5
Joined: Fri May 11, 2018 5:56 pm

Re: AUGUST 2018 - MPRE DISCUSSION

Postby jlolaw » Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:44 pm

A25SH wrote:
Neilt001 wrote:
A25SH wrote:
I read the condensed outline a few times. The lectures did not really help me for the MPRE. In fact I wish I could go back and not have watched them (waste of time). I would solely read the outline and then go through the practice questions. The questions on the actual test had a similar format to Themis and prepared me.


Glad to hear the Themis questions prepared you well enough.

My issue is that I learn better taking notes from lectures rather than reading slabs of text, which I likely won't memorize very well. I'm just hoping all the info I need to pass is contained in the lectures!


You will pass. I think the most helpful out of everything is practice. I was scoring low on all the practice questions but learned from them. so you'll be fine!


I hope so! I started at around low 50% +/- 4 points. Then the last two PQs I score 80% and 76%. Today, however, I bombed the second Practice Exam with 50%.

I'm keeping a running spreadsheet of stuff I missed for review. I hope it all comes together on the real exam!

User avatar
Calbears123

Bronze
Posts: 292
Joined: Sun Dec 08, 2013 5:38 am

Re: AUGUST 2018 - MPRE DISCUSSION

Postby Calbears123 » Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:45 am

Didn't take the MPRE 3L because I was lazy...anyway so burnt out from the bar I haven't started yet. Think if I start this weekend with just the Barbri lectures/outline/mini outline/ and two practice tests I'll be fine?

justanotheruser

Bronze
Posts: 147
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2015 10:57 pm

Re: AUGUST 2018 - MPRE DISCUSSION

Postby justanotheruser » Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:57 am

Calbears123 wrote:Didn't take the MPRE 3L because I was lazy...anyway so burnt out from the bar I haven't started yet. Think if I start this weekend with just the Barbri lectures/outline/mini outline/ and two practice tests I'll be fine?


Given that PR should be somewhat still fresh in your head, this weekend might just be enough.

I took the MPRE twice. First time, I failed because I mistakenly thought an overnight cram session would be fine. Second time, I studied 1-2 hours each day for 5 days and passed with flying colors.

User avatar
Neilt001

Moderator
Posts: 259
Joined: Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:35 pm

Re: AUGUST 2018 - MPRE DISCUSSION

Postby Neilt001 » Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:41 am

justanotheruser wrote:
Calbears123 wrote:Didn't take the MPRE 3L because I was lazy...anyway so burnt out from the bar I haven't started yet. Think if I start this weekend with just the Barbri lectures/outline/mini outline/ and two practice tests I'll be fine?


Given that PR should be somewhat still fresh in your head, this weekend might just be enough.

I took the MPRE twice. First time, I failed because I mistakenly thought an overnight cram session would be fine. Second time, I studied 1-2 hours each day for 5 days and passed with flying colors.


That's really great to hear. I'm hoping to devote some serious time this week and my scores haven't been terrible. But I partied all last weekend and haven't approached this seriously enough. Hoping it all works out!

User avatar
Neilt001

Moderator
Posts: 259
Joined: Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:35 pm

Re: AUGUST 2018 - MPRE DISCUSSION

Postby Neilt001 » Wed Aug 08, 2018 2:19 pm

Anyone else scoring like 56% on the practice tests? I don't get all these people who said the MPRE was super easy and only required a week of studying. I get plenty of PQs wrong and am still learning rules days out from the exam!! :evil: :x :?



Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum�

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bingo_Bongo, Heyall and 6 guests