Assault w/intent to commit battery Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Itwasascam

New

Assault w/intent to commit battery

Post by Itwasascam » Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:52 pm

Since this is a specific intent crime, if theres a mistake of fact are you completly off or is there transferred intent

A sees who he thinks is B walking down the street

A punches him but misses

Turns out it was C

What can A be charged with?

estefanchanning

Bronze

Re: Assault w/intent to commit battery

Post by estefanchanning » Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:06 pm

Itwasascam wrote:Since this is a specific intent crime, if theres a mistake of fact are you completly off or is there transferred intent

A punches him but misses

Turns out it was C

Huh? What's "assault with intent to commit battery"? There's no such thing. But what you described would be considered a battery, no need for 'transferred intent' because battery is a general intent crime. It would be transferred intent if X intends to hit Y, but misses and hits Z.

Itwasascam

New

Post by Itwasascam » Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:42 pm

estefanchanning wrote:
Itwasascam wrote:Since this is a specific intent crime, if theres a mistake of fact are you completly off or is there transferred intent

A punches him but misses

Turns out it was C

Huh? What's "assault with intent to commit battery"? There's no such thing. But what you described would be considered a battery, no need for 'transferred intent' because battery is a general intent crime. It would be transferred intent if X intends to hit Y, but misses and hits Z.
It’s not battery because A doesn’t hit anyone.

I got assault with intent to commit battery from thanks

estefanchanning

Bronze

Post by estefanchanning » Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:45 pm

Itwasascam wrote:
estefanchanning wrote:

A punches him but misses

Turns out it was C

Sorry, I misread your question. Yes it's not battery, but it's also not assault because from the facts it doesn't seem that A was aware he was about to be hit? I'm also still certain that "assault with intent to commit battery" is not a thing. The fact that you had intent to commit battery has no bearing on your culpability for assault.

Itwasascam

New

Post by Itwasascam » Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:55 pm

Sorry, it’s assault with attemp to commit battery, not intent

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

jcwest

New

Post by jcwest » Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:56 pm

estefanchanning wrote:
Itwasascam wrote:
estefanchanning wrote:

A punches him but misses

Turns out it was C

Sorry, I misread your question. Yes it's not battery, but it's also not assault because from the facts it doesn't seem that A was aware he was about to be hit? I'm also still certain that "assault with intent to commit battery" is not a thing. The fact that you had intent to commit battery has no bearing on your culpability for assault.
Assault with attempt to commit battery is a thing according to my outline. A specific intent crime. The defenses to which, would be either mistake of fact, no matter how unreasonable, or voluntary intoxication.

estefanchanning

Bronze

Post by estefanchanning » Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:10 pm

jcwest wrote:
estefanchanning wrote:
Itwasascam wrote:
estefanchanning wrote:

A punches him but misses

Turns out it was C

Assault with attempt to commit battery is a thing according to my outline. A specific intent crime. The defenses to which, would be either mistake of fact, no matter how unreasonable, or voluntary intoxication.
Yes assault with attempt to commit battery is a thing, but assault with intent to commit a battery, isn't.

OP: If B was aware that A is about to hit him, then A is guilty of:

1) Assault
2) Attempted Battery

Phrasing it as "assault with intent to commit battery" or "assault with attempt to commit battery" is confusing. On essays I would phrase it as "assault and attempted battery" since the two crimes are distinct.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”