Coffee for the Bar Exam Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Findedeux

Bronze

Coffee for the Bar Exam

Post by Findedeux » Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:24 am

Just curious how you guys are approaching coffee on the bar?

We can bring in liquid but we can't afford to go to the bathroom during the exam.

Are you guys drinking right when you wake up?

Caffeine pills?

clshopeful

Bronze

Re: Coffee for the Bar Exam

Post by clshopeful » Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:33 am

Coffee right when I wake up (about 1.5 hour before exam), so caffeine is in me and I can go to the bathroom before I walk into the exam

BlackAndOrange84

Bronze

Post by BlackAndOrange84 » Sun Jul 15, 2018 12:12 pm

Depends or a catheter are the answer.

b290

Bronze

Post by b290 » Sun Jul 15, 2018 12:24 pm

Findedeux wrote:Just curious how you guys are approaching coffee on the bar?

We can bring in liquid but we can't afford to go to the bathroom during the exam.

Are you guys drinking right when you wake up?

Caffeine pills?
Are you saying you’re forbidden from using the bathroom (which I find hard to believe) or your preparation doesn’t allow for too many breaks?

When I did it, I made sure I was hydrated - that took care of what I needed. I had caffeine pills in case, but that was my “all else fails” option. I ended up using a couple on MBE Day (on the break after 160 - I got up after every 20) for the final push, but I could’ve pushed on without them.

My $.02

maiden42

New

Post by maiden42 » Sun Jul 15, 2018 12:59 pm

Coffee right when I wake up with eggs (5am). Take a short walk to get the blood flowing. Drive to testing Center.

Eat plain chicken breast for lunch, but not too much. Drink a little water right when lunch starts.
Repeat on Day 2.

If I have to pee during the exam, then I have to pee.

Pay close attention to the location of my seat and location of bathroom, make sure I pay attention when going to the bathrom so I don't forget where my seat is.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

justanotheruser

Bronze

Post by justanotheruser » Sun Jul 15, 2018 3:53 pm

I've failed multiple times, so I've had chances to try out different things.

One time, I brewed coffee really early (6 AM?) each morning. Think the caffeine wearing off and lunch made me a bit groggy for the afternoon session.

Another exam, I didn't have coffee in the morning, but I'd down an entire can of an energy or starbucks drink during lunch. I think this worked out a bit better. Think pure adrenaline carried me in the AM session and the lunchtime drink carried me in the PM session.

When I finally passed in 2/18 though, I don't think I had any caffeine.

estefanchanning

Bronze

Post by estefanchanning » Sun Jul 15, 2018 3:57 pm

I swear I'm not joking, one of my friends wore an adult diaper.

BlackAndOrange84

Bronze

Post by BlackAndOrange84 » Sun Jul 15, 2018 4:11 pm

estefanchanning wrote:I swear I'm not joking, one of my friends wore an adult diaper.
I was joking, but I admire your friend's commitment.

estefanchanning

Bronze

Post by estefanchanning » Sun Jul 15, 2018 4:12 pm

BlackAndOrange84 wrote:
estefanchanning wrote:I swear I'm not joking, one of my friends wore an adult diaper.
according to them, the worst part was the smell

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

fuuuuuuuuuu

New

Post by fuuuuuuuuuu » Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:45 am

I drank matcha iced tea at 5 a.m. in the morning (effects lasted longer through the AM session, but I imagine coffee will do just as well), then had a caffeine pill during lunch for the PM session that I had put in my jean pocket.

The first jurisdiction I took didn't allow pills of any sort into the testing area in the baggies we could bring in, so I did what I had to do... I plan to do the same for this time around. :twisted:

pfunkera

Bronze

Post by pfunkera » Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:28 am

I cannot drink coffee without having the need to visit the restroom multiple times. Because of the bathroom policies, I had one vivarin about an hour before the exam with a little water. Had another vivarin pill cut in half in case i needed another or just a half at lunch. I think I took a half a pill each day at lunch. I avoided the bathroom for every session without issue which is a miracle for me.

Law&coffee

New

Post by Law&coffee » Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:25 pm

When I took the Texas bar, we weren't allowed to bring liquid in the exam room. I had coffee before the exam and I had cold coffee in my car to drink during the lunch break.

hockeyman969

Bronze

Post by hockeyman969 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:14 pm

On UBE in NY, I pounded 4 Starbucks double shots before each session, thankfully didn't need to leak during MPT, MEE felt better and went to the bathroom halfway through and finished in 2 hours (passed). Same with MBE.

Florida liquids forbidden nothing permitted, so point is moot.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

M_Law

New

Post by M_Law » Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:25 pm

hockeyman969 wrote:On UBE in NY, I pounded 4 Starbucks double shots before each session, thankfully didn't need to leak during MPT, MEE felt better and went to the bathroom halfway through and finished in 2 hours (passed). Same with MBE.

Florida liquids forbidden nothing permitted, so point is moot.
For the NY UBE, I understand you could bring unwrapped candy, but are we allowed to chew gum or is that strictly prohibited?

nada123

New

Post by nada123 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:38 pm

My strategy on exam day was get enough sleep (7-8 hours for me), have half a cup of black coffee at breakfast (6:30-7am), have another half cup at lunch if required. On the first day, i only had coffee at breakfast none needed at lunch. Second day i needed both. Only went toilet during the lunch break :D

Bd2727

New

Post by Bd2727 » Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:17 pm

My first bar exam I used caffeine chocolate. I ate some as soon as my alarm clock went off. I practiced drinking only 1 starbucks double shot can before practice exam and did this for the actual bar exam. I never had to get up which I think is a huge advantage on MBE unless you are very fast. 1 more double shot can during the break.

Im taking my second state soon, and I'll probably do the same. I like macha, but I wouldn't want to risk stomach ache. Caffeine pills can be too sudden and intense IMO.

rcharter1978

Gold

Post by rcharter1978 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:26 am

estefanchanning wrote:
BlackAndOrange84 wrote:
According to everyone in the world the worst part is the smell. Just pee in the bathroom if you gotta go. I cannot even imagine how terribly distracting it would be to sit in a cotton absorbed puddle of piss while you try to take an exam.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

FinallyPassedTheBar

Bronze

Post by FinallyPassedTheBar » Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:04 am

rcharter1978 wrote:
estefanchanning wrote:
BlackAndOrange84 wrote:
According to everyone in the world the worst part is the smell. Just pee in the bathroom if you gotta go. I cannot even imagine how terribly distracting it would be to sit in a cotton absorbed puddle of piss while you try to take an exam.

Maybe it was a #2 :shock:

els18

New

Post by els18 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:35 am

I took the Texas bar last July where you are not allowed to bring in any liquids. I drank two cups of coffee before the exam and then another at lunch. I used the bathroom once during each session and still finished every section with more than 15 minutes left. I was pretty far from the bathroom and worried about it a lot before the test began, but it wasn't an issue at all. I passed and didn't have to wear a diaper.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”