Kaplan July 2018 - Discussion Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
rustyburger2

Bronze

Kaplan July 2018 - Discussion

Post by rustyburger2 » Wed Jun 27, 2018 4:56 pm

How you Kaplanites doin? Figured we deserve a discussion at least as much as much as those scrubs at Themis.

I'll kick this badboy off – how about VEMPSS eh?

rustyburger2

Bronze

Re: Kaplan July 2018 - Discussion

Post by rustyburger2 » Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:41 pm

Anyone feeling like these MEE lectures are way to granular? The Wills one specifically gets so in the weeds

CLSGumbo

New

Post by CLSGumbo » Mon Jul 02, 2018 5:43 pm

Is it just me or are the MBE questions in the "purple book" harder than the MBE questions that come out of the bank online? I'm averaging a little above 70% online but a good 10% below that out of the purple book.

max_p

New

Post by max_p » Mon Jul 02, 2018 6:02 pm

I actually feel the opposite way. I average about 70% in the bank and 85% in the book. The questions in the book seem shorter to me. Not sure if that's true though.

rustyburger2

Bronze

Post by rustyburger2 » Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:26 pm

CLSGumbo wrote:Is it just me or are the MBE questions in the "purple book" harder than the MBE questions that come out of the bank online? I'm averaging a little above 70% online but a good 10% below that out of the purple book.
I feel the exact same. Averaging 75% in crim, but missed 8 out of the 20 in the purple book.

There's also definitely a different feel to the questions. The Qbank questions felt like they test really tangential obscure rules, whereas the purple book questions felt like they were testing core concepts but in really tricky ways. Anyone else get this vibe?
max_p wrote:I actually feel the opposite way. I average about 70% in the bank and 85% in the book. The questions in the book seem shorter to me. Not sure if that's true though.
Yeah they definitely felt shorter to me too

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

max_p

New

Post by max_p » Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:40 pm

I also think the questions in the book might be a little easier because they are grouped by subject. Knowing exactly what area the question will cover takes some of the thought process out.

ladybug1989

Bronze

Post by ladybug1989 » Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:03 am

Is it just me or are the Qbank questions getting harder and harder? I was at like 65-70% and now I'm slipping to low 60s...my last one was 55%. :shock:

CLSGumbo

New

Post by CLSGumbo » Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:12 am

ladybug1989 wrote:Is it just me or are the Qbank questions getting harder and harder? I was at like 65-70% and now I'm slipping to low 60s...my last one was 55%. :shock:
I think they are randomized

OMLS48

New

Post by OMLS48 » Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:05 am

Q bank practice sets took a small dip when I started doing mixed subjects, but they’re on their way back up. It seems logical though. When we were doing purely one sub section each day, it was rather easy to compartmentalize the issues being asked. With mixed sections, it took some adjusting.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

rustyburger2

Bronze

Post by rustyburger2 » Thu Jul 05, 2018 2:24 am

Anyone finding secured transaction essays particularly hard? Just did a few and each really busted my balls

ladybug1989

Bronze

Post by ladybug1989 » Sun Jul 08, 2018 5:55 am

I've started doing questions in the book and I feel like they're a bit harder, or covering rules not in the Kaplan Quicksheets. I wonder if the real MBE questions will be closer to the book Q's or the Qbank Qs.

rustyburger2

Bronze

Post by rustyburger2 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:00 am

Anyone got any thoughts about the MEE & MPT's we just did? Overall I didn't think it was too bad – I was real thankful that secured transactions MEE was relatively straightforward. Though the last one on partnerships really got my goat – I've completely neglected reviewing the subject.

Also I totally forgot to format the second MPT in memo format. Even worse, I forgot to delete my incomprehensible scratch notes at the very beginning. That's the second time I've done this, hope it doesn't happen on the actual exam.

CLSGumbo

New

Post by CLSGumbo » Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:41 am

Yeah the partnership one I guessed right on liability but had no idea if they could reform the LLP the way they did so I got that flat wrong.

The secured transaction one was purposely tricky I felt with having them perfect 21 days later. It got me thinking there was a 20 day rule and that they wouldn't perfect 20 days later, but nope.

I did have two questions:

1) For the DJ question. I looked at it on thought "there's no DJ issue, because DJ hasn't attached." So I figured why write about the Blockburger test if it's irrelevant, so I just wrote that DJ only applies when DJ attaches (jury is impaneled). And that since that didn't happen yet there's nothing for the judge to consider. Then the model answer has this whole long rule statement about DJ and that this fails the Blockburger test, but then ends it with "DJ hasn't even attached." Just seemed useless...

2) The trust question. Can someone be forced to take income? Just as a general matter? I kind of thought that a trust can't force a beneficiary to take distribution. So for the last question I kind of just stated it as a proposition that while the statute wont treat him as predeceased, the son can simply refuse to take distribution as a beneficiary. I got the same result as the model answer, but just more curious if my proposition is even legally right.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

CLSGumbo

New

Post by CLSGumbo » Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:11 pm

holy fuck was that final MBE absolutely brutal. I actually did well on it, but I had like zero confidence in 70% of my answers. Almost every question I could easily narrow to two but then I was just totally guessing between the two choices. Some were such tricks...I hope this isn't representative of the actual MBE

max_p

New

Post by max_p » Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:27 pm

Got a 134 on the final. Honestly thought I would do much better considering I got a 129 on the midterm. Only five more questions correct after two weeks of studying is disappointing. No idea what my 134 will translate to on the MBE though.

CLSGumbo

New

Post by CLSGumbo » Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:32 pm

max_p wrote:Got a 134 on the final. Honestly thought I would do much better considering I got a 129 on the midterm. Only five more questions correct after two weeks of studying is disappointing. No idea what my 134 will translate to on the MBE though.
Easily in passing territory, so no point to be bummed. Still have 2 weeks!

funkenstein

New

Post by funkenstein » Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:20 pm

For the secured transaction question, why was the unperfected security interest of the copper supplier not a purchase money security interest?

not sure if it would have any effect on the outcome because as inventory, it would not automatically perfect anyway. But i am just confused as to whether or not it was a PMSI at all. The sample answer did not mention this issue at all.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

funkenstein

New

Post by funkenstein » Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:20 pm

For the secured transaction question, why was the unperfected security interest of the copper supplier not a purchase money security interest?

not sure if it would have any effect on the outcome because as inventory, it would not automatically perfect anyway. But i am just confused as to whether or not it was a PMSI at all. The sample answer did not mention this issue at all.

max_p

New

Post by max_p » Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:31 pm

The exam I took did not have a question involving a copper supplier...

funkenstein

New

Post by funkenstein » Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:09 pm

max_p wrote:The exam I took did not have a question involving a copper supplier...

question 4 of the essays, for the simulated practice exam. it was the first one for the afternoon session.

max_p

New

Post by max_p » Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:16 pm

For me question 4 was civ pro. Must have taken different tests (I'm doing UBE).

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

funkenstein

New

Post by funkenstein » Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:45 pm

funkenstein wrote:For the secured transaction question, why was the unperfected security interest of the copper supplier not a purchase money security interest?

this was the IL practice exam btw

rustyburger2

Bronze

Post by rustyburger2 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:45 pm

max_p wrote:Got a 134 on the final. Honestly thought I would do much better considering I got a 129 on the midterm. Only five more questions correct after two weeks of studying is disappointing. No idea what my 134 will translate to on the MBE though.
It could be worse, I got a 152 on the midterm and dropped to a 139 on the final.

Everyone saw improvements? I coulda sworn this one was harder

max_p

New

Post by max_p » Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:57 pm

This one was harder. I mean there was a fucking question on the mishandling of a corpse for god sake

CLSGumbo

New

Post by CLSGumbo » Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:58 pm

rustyburger2 wrote:
It could be worse, I got a 152 on the midterm and dropped to a 139 on the final.

Everyone saw improvements? I coulda sworn this one was harder
I also think this was much harder. but on the bright side both those scores are well above passing!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”