Privileges & Immunities Clause and State Bar Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Nightcrawler

Bronze

Privileges & Immunities Clause and State Bar

Post by Nightcrawler » Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:50 pm

The rule is that states can't discriminate against out of state residents unless the discrimination satisfies strict scrutiny. So my question is: what is the governmental compelling interest to prohibit non-residents attorneys to practice law in a state where they are not licensed?

estefanchanning

Bronze

Re: Privileges & Immunities Clause and State Bar

Post by estefanchanning » Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:56 pm

States don't prohibit out of state people from practicing in state. They just require that you pass their bar. I can live in NY and practice in CA as long as I pass the CA bar (just like in-state residents have to do)

Nightcrawler

Bronze

Post by Nightcrawler » Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:35 pm

estefanchanning wrote:States don't prohibit out of state people from practicing in state. They just require that you pass their bar. I can live in NY and practice in CA as long as I pass the CA bar (just like in-state residents have to do)
So I guess it's more of an Equal Protection issue and, as practicing law is not a fundamental right, rational basis will apply. Right?

Just curiosity, not trying to advocate anything here btw.

estefanchanning

Bronze

Post by estefanchanning » Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:41 pm

Nightcrawler wrote:
estefanchanning wrote:States don't prohibit out of state people from practicing in state. They just require that you pass their bar. I can live in NY and practice in CA as long as I pass the CA bar (just like in-state residents have to do)
So I guess it's more of an Equal Protection issue and, as practicing law is not a fundamental right, rational basis will apply. Right?

Not an equal protection issue either. The law doesn't discriminate against certain classes of people. It applies equally to everyone. Your best argument would maybe be substantive due process. But even then, practicing the law is not a fundamental right, and therefore RBT would apply.

Nightcrawler

Bronze

Post by Nightcrawler » Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:44 pm

estefanchanning wrote:
Nightcrawler wrote:

Not an equal protection issue either. The law doesn't discriminate against certain classes of people. It applies equally to everyone. Your best argument would maybe be substantive due process. But even then, practicing the law is not a fundamental right, and therefore RBT would apply.
Makes sense, thanks!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”