Kaplan has me worried... Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
max_p

New

Kaplan has me worried...

Post by max_p » Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:36 pm

Taking the UBE in July and I am really struggling to gauge my improvement as I work through Kaplan's course. I feel like no matter how much I review the materials I cannot break 65% on the checkpoint quizzes. I did better in a couple subjects, but most of my scores are around 60%. I honestly think the questions are poorly written and require us to make assumptions that are far from obvious. Of course, this could just be my frustration coming out. The midterm exam is next week. Anyone else taking Kaplan now feel the same way?

JTIII

New

Re: Kaplan has me worried...

Post by JTIII » Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:21 pm

FWIW I'm taking Kaplan and scoring in that range as well. I'm not all that concerned (although someone can correct me if I should be). I recall from one of the homerooms that scoring around the 60-65% mark is fine for now, as it is still early stages.

Wild Card

Silver

Post by Wild Card » Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:24 pm

I get anywhere between 25% to 88% using BarBri. Calm down.

Mobster1983

New

Post by Mobster1983 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:41 pm

I scored around 65% on Kaplan with quizzes and the midterm. MBE score was 168. ;-)

max_p

New

Post by max_p » Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:35 pm

I think I realized that I learn better by just reading the outlines in the book rather than the lectures. Kaplan never instructs us to use the book though, which I find weird.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

rustyburger2

Bronze

Post by rustyburger2 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:07 pm

max_p wrote: I honestly think the questions are poorly written and require us to make assumptions that are far from obvious. Of course, this could just be my frustration coming out.
I agree with you wholeheartedly and actually started a thread about this: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 1&t=288391

A non-negligible amount of Kaplan's questions are objectively poorly written.

It's frustrating because it makes me doubt how representative of the actual exam Kaplan's MBE questions are.

max_p

New

Post by max_p » Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:28 pm

If Kaplan's questions aren't representative of the real MBE, I just hope that I will do better on the actual exam given the difficulty of the questions I've been seeing. The lectures aren't too bad, but I hate getting 60% of the questions correct after feeling confident during the lectures.

OMLS48

New

Post by OMLS48 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:32 pm

Currently taking Kaplan. through the first few MBE subjects, I found myself having trouble finding a rhythm and didnt see the type of mastery i was hoping for, around 56-57%. Though, after taking a more concerted effort to absorb the lecture material, I have seen jumps into the upper 70s, and some in the 80s. I've found what helps me the most is right after watching and taking notes on a lecture, I instantly run through the bar notes, taking an hour to make sure I understand the more nuanced points. granted, i feel as if the first few topics we went over may have just been harder, so who knows in the end.

As frustrating as some of the questions are, and as much as I'd like to think the questions are poorly written or unfair, every basis for any of my wrong answers is coupled with a valid basis for why it was wrong. The explanations, while complicated at times, are legitimate and accurate. Those explanations are probably the single most beneficial teaching tool Kaplan has to offer.

I've found what helps me the most in this whole bar prep experience is accepting that there's a lot i'm not great with, but the time and energy spent buying into a proven process will absolutely produce results. it's humbling, but I think that's what's allowing me to improve.

rustyburger2

Bronze

Post by rustyburger2 » Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:06 am

OMLS48 wrote: As frustrating as some of the questions are, and as much as I'd like to think the questions are poorly written or unfair, every basis for any of my wrong answers is coupled with a valid basis for why it was wrong. The explanations, while complicated at times, are legitimate and accurate. Those explanations are probably the single most beneficial teaching tool Kaplan has to offer.
I appreciate the sentiment, but I can confidently say that some questions are genuinely poorly written and unfair. Kaplan's questions aren't real MBE questions. They're written by Kaplan employees and almost definitely don't have the level of review real MBE questions do.

It's a small percentage (maybe 1 out of 20-30), but there's enough to make it frustrating.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

4LTsPointingNorth

Bronze

Post by 4LTsPointingNorth » Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:21 am

rustyburger2 wrote:
OMLS48 wrote: As frustrating as some of the questions are, and as much as I'd like to think the questions are poorly written or unfair, every basis for any of my wrong answers is coupled with a valid basis for why it was wrong. The explanations, while complicated at times, are legitimate and accurate. Those explanations are probably the single most beneficial teaching tool Kaplan has to offer.
I appreciate the sentiment, but I can confidently say that some questions are genuinely poorly written and unfair. Kaplan's questions aren't real MBE questions. They're written by Kaplan employees and almost definitely don't have the level of review real MBE questions do.

It's a small percentage (maybe 1 out of 20-30), but there's enough to make it frustrating.
Then find a new bar prep program or else articulate with particularity exactly how Kaplan questions will insufficiently prepare you for the bar exam. You have previously tried to complain about specific Kaplan questions in that other thread you've linked here, and you were rightly corrected on specifics.

What is plainly evident from your recent posts is that you're actively trying to build a narrative in your mind and on this forum to hedge against you potentially failing the bar exam by blaming it on some test prep progam's failure to prepare you. You are doing this instead of self-identifying your needed areas of focus for improving. Any energy that you spend mentally evaluating Kaplan's quality as a bar prep program is wasted effort. Cut your losses and drive on in a way this is actually productive for your ultimate goal of passing the exam.

rustyburger2

Bronze

Post by rustyburger2 » Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:21 am

4LTsPointingNorth wrote: Then find a new bar prep program or else articulate with particularity exactly how Kaplan questions will insufficiently prepare you for the bar exam.
First off, I don't owe you articulation of diddly squat – I'm not in this thread to indoctrinate you. I'm in this thread to commiserate with and validate someone else who's had a similar experience.

Secondly, who said Kaplan questions won't sufficiently prepare you for the bar? Like I've said, the bad questions aren't common. At the end of the day 95% of the questions are fine and they'll "sufficiently prepare you for the bar exam." But that's not exactly the standard we're looking at here, is it? Kaplan's an expensive product with 2 direct competitors – if they have enough shitty questions that it's frustrating to study, you bet your ass I'm going to complain about it.
4LTsPointingNorth wrote: What is plainly evident from your recent posts is that you're actively trying to build a narrative in your mind and on this forum to hedge against you potentially failing the bar exam by blaming it on some test prep progam's failure to prepare you.
Lmao spot-on psychoanalysis there Freud.
4LTsPointingNorth wrote: You are doing this instead of self-identifying your needed areas of focus for improving.
Yep cause the two are mutually exclusive.
4LTsPointingNorth wrote: Any energy that you spend mentally evaluating Kaplan's quality as a bar prep program is wasted effort.
I'd call you out for being a shill, but a shill would never be this obvious

dabigchina

Gold

Post by dabigchina » Fri Jun 15, 2018 3:58 am

4LTsPointingNorth wrote:
rustyburger2 wrote:

Then find a new bar prep program or else articulate with particularity exactly how Kaplan questions will insufficiently prepare you for the bar exam. You have previously tried to complain about specific Kaplan questions in that other thread you've linked here, and you were rightly corrected on specifics.

What is plainly evident from your recent posts is that you're actively trying to build a narrative in your mind and on this forum to hedge against you potentially failing the bar exam by blaming it on some test prep progam's failure to prepare you. You are doing this instead of self-identifying your needed areas of focus for improving. Any energy that you spend mentally evaluating Kaplan's quality as a bar prep program is wasted effort. Cut your losses and drive on in a way this is actually productive for your ultimate goal of passing the exam.
Lol weird hostility much?

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:12 am

It’s still early, plus 65% correct on the bar exam is good. Besides bar companies want to scare you to study more or else you may get overconfident...

max_p

New

Post by max_p » Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:25 am

Thanks for the replies. I really just wanted to see if anyone else felt the same way as me. I agree that Kaplan is still preparing me for the bar, but I also agree that it sucks to see poorly written questions (including typos that change the meaning of the question) when I paid for the course out of my own pocket. Anyway, if getting 65% of the questions right at this stage is nothing to worry about, then I suppose I'm fine.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”