Foreigners passing the bar

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
espressounius

New

Foreigners passing the bar

Postby espressounius » Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:08 pm

Hi, I am mildly stressed about my lack of information about what happens to foreigners when and if they pass the bar.

I, myself am a foreigner, I have a JD, and will be taking the bar this July.

I have already done my 50 hours pro bono in the States, and I have an affidavit signed by my supervisor. It dates back to June 2016.

However, I had to leave U.S. in July 2017 due to the expiration of my visa. I have been working at my home country since - but at a non-legal job.

Not to get my self worried before I burn the bridge of passing the bar; but I am curious, how is the process when someone in my position applies for admission to the NY bar?

I have a temporary background in the U.S. on an F1 student visa. I have volunteered at legal clinics while at law school, I have worked when I had work authorization to work; but vast majority of my background has not been in the US; in fact it has not even been in one place; because I have constantly been on the move since graduating from high school. An academic gypsy, one might say. Before law school, I was in Canada doing my BsC. I also have employment history there. My original citizenship is Turkish.

Does anyone know how the C&F process and the ultimate admission is for foreign bar passers?

irishguy

New

Re: Foreigners passing the bar

Postby irishguy » Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:10 am

C&F is the same for all applicants. Unless there is something specific in your past that would affect C&F application of any bar passer, you will be fine. (Irish NY bar passer)

Neilt001

Re: Foreigners passing the bar

Postby Neilt001 » Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:53 am

Yeah I'm not sure I understand what your concern is? If you pass the bar, then you can get admitted the to bar, assuming there are no skeletons in your closet. Getting a visa is a separate issue.

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum�