UBE Ask me anything

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
PoliLaw

New
Posts: 56
Joined: Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:07 am

UBE Ask me anything

Postby PoliLaw » Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:45 am

I got a lot of help from this forum so I want to pay it forward. Anyone with any questions about tactics, study habits, questions etc let me know. :D

bdadon

New
Posts: 26
Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2016 10:47 am

Re: UBE Ask me anything

Postby bdadon » Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:41 am

Hi, NY UBE HERE.

I need some advice on writing the essays. For some reason, while taking one practice essay under timed conditions, it was just hard for me to get the words on paper.

Also, what are some ways you studied in order to do really well on the MPT and the MBE. Thanks for your help.

PoliLaw

New
Posts: 56
Joined: Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:07 am

Re: UBE Ask me anything

Postby PoliLaw » Thu Jun 07, 2018 12:29 pm

Timed Conditions: You have over a month and a half before the exam so relax. Easy way to get comfortable writing timed essays is setting a timer for 5 min and reading the call of the question first and then reading the fact pattern. After that, outline! Practice doing just that for the subject you are most comfortable with. Next, set a clock for 25 min and go back and write the essay. That was the only way I could force myself to outline.


General Prep: This is taking into account how much time you have left to study.... There is a difference between learning a subject, studying a subject and memorizing rules. I never took secured trans so I actually had to learn it by watching a lecture. Then i needed to understand it deeper so I studied ie filling in the blanks, reading over the material from a big outline, reading essays etc. After that I got to memorizing by condensing and repeating it out loud and writing it down a bunch. There are subjects that you do not need to learn!!!! Do not waist time watching lectures of topics you only need to study or memorize! Most of the subjects you already learned from law school, you might just need to study them and memorize. Watching all the lectures can be the biggest waste of time.

Mbe: 250 questions per subject. Look for patterns in questions. Look for patterns in wrong answers. Look for patterns in the correct answers. Pay attention! The questions writers are not that creative. Prioritize the material in the questions you got wrong. Go back to big outline and revisit and learn the rule of stuff you got wrong.

Mee: Print every single essay you can find for MEE. Separate by subject. Most comfortable first. By the end of prep you should have at least issue spotted every single one. You ideally want to have written at least 4-6per subject.

MPT: PRACTICE COMPLETE MPTS IN THE MORNING IN TIMED CONDITIONS! Every weekend starting the last week of June until the exam , do 1 complete MPT per weekend. I kid you not these are the only free points on the exam. FREE! They literally say, "hey organize this material for me and type it up"! The only way you will feel comfortable doing this on exam day is to have done it prior.

PoliLaw

New
Posts: 56
Joined: Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:07 am

Re: UBE Ask me anything

Postby PoliLaw » Thu Jun 07, 2018 12:35 pm

My wife murdered the MBE (90th percentile). She is the one who told me about the patterns for MBE.

bdadon

New
Posts: 26
Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2016 10:47 am

Re: UBE Ask me anything

Postby bdadon » Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:35 pm

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! THIS IS HELPFUL

PoliLaw wrote:My wife murdered the MBE (90th percentile). She is the one who told me about the patterns for MBE.

maroon175

Bronze
Posts: 154
Joined: Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:46 pm

Re: UBE Ask me anything

Postby maroon175 » Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:45 pm

PoliLaw wrote:Timed Conditions: You have over a month and a half before the exam so relax. Easy way to get comfortable writing timed essays is setting a timer for 5 min and reading the call of the question first and then reading the fact pattern. After that, outline! Practice doing just that for the subject you are most comfortable with. Next, set a clock for 25 min and go back and write the essay. That was the only way I could force myself to outline.


General Prep: This is taking into account how much time you have left to study.... There is a difference between learning a subject, studying a subject and memorizing rules. I never took secured trans so I actually had to learn it by watching a lecture. Then i needed to understand it deeper so I studied ie filling in the blanks, reading over the material from a big outline, reading essays etc. After that I got to memorizing by condensing and repeating it out loud and writing it down a bunch. There are subjects that you do not need to learn!!!! Do not waist time watching lectures of topics you only need to study or memorize! Most of the subjects you already learned from law school, you might just need to study them and memorize. Watching all the lectures can be the biggest waste of time.

Mbe: 250 questions per subject. Look for patterns in questions. Look for patterns in wrong answers. Look for patterns in the correct answers. Pay attention! The questions writers are not that creative. Prioritize the material in the questions you got wrong. Go back to big outline and revisit and learn the rule of stuff you got wrong.

Mee: Print every single essay you can find for MEE. Separate by subject. Most comfortable first. By the end of prep you should have at least issue spotted every single one. You ideally want to have written at least 4-6per subject.

MPT: PRACTICE COMPLETE MPTS IN THE MORNING IN TIMED CONDITIONS! Every weekend starting the last week of June until the exam , do 1 complete MPT per weekend. I kid you not these are the only free points on the exam. FREE! They literally say, "hey organize this material for me and type it up"! The only way you will feel comfortable doing this on exam day is to have done it prior.


I appreciate this post a lot, but just wanted to point out that all of these combined seem like overkill. To anyone reading this and feeling overwhelmed, just remember the key is to pass the bar, not ace it.

PoliLaw

New
Posts: 56
Joined: Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:07 am

Re: UBE Ask me anything

Postby PoliLaw » Thu Jun 07, 2018 4:29 pm

maroon175,

For clarity what I am recommending is far less than the average amount of time recommended when you cut out the hrs and hrs of lectures you dont need to watch.

This is the article from the NationalJurist on how much you should study on average.
http://www.nationaljurist.com/content/h ... y-bar-exam

The problem is that if you completed the entire barbri or kaplan course you are in way overkill! Estimated bar prep is 405 hrs= 45 hrs a week for 9 weeks. This is the expectation of the bar review courses. 200ish hrs in learning and memorizing and 200ish in practice.

Mbe:I recommended 250 questions per subject. There are 7 mbe subjects. If you spent 4 min per question to answer the question in 2 min and then review it in 2 min for a total of 4 min and did 1750( that is all 7 subjects 250 questions each) you would have spent 116 hrs. According to the article you have 84 more hrs of practice before you are in the average.

Mee: 11 subjects. 4 essays for each- 30 min for each essay. That is only 22 hrs. Lets say you spend 10 min reading answers and taking notes on all 44 essays, that breaks out to another 7hrs.
If you then read and issue spot 44 more essays and spend about 8 min per essay- thats 6 hrs roughly.
Mpt: 8 mpts to complete. You spend 2 hrs completing and reviewing the answer each one of the 8... That is 16 hrs.

We are at a grand total of 167 hrs of practice, while the article says you have another 33 to go. Just wanted to put numbers to what seemed like a ton of work.

User avatar
SilvermanBarPrep

Bronze
Posts: 276
Joined: Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:19 pm

Re: UBE Ask me anything

Postby SilvermanBarPrep » Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:17 pm

PoliLaw wrote:Timed Conditions: You have over a month and a half before the exam so relax. Easy way to get comfortable writing timed essays is setting a timer for 5 min and reading the call of the question first and then reading the fact pattern. After that, outline! Practice doing just that for the subject you are most comfortable with. Next, set a clock for 25 min and go back and write the essay. That was the only way I could force myself to outline.


General Prep: This is taking into account how much time you have left to study.... There is a difference between learning a subject, studying a subject and memorizing rules. I never took secured trans so I actually had to learn it by watching a lecture. Then i needed to understand it deeper so I studied ie filling in the blanks, reading over the material from a big outline, reading essays etc. After that I got to memorizing by condensing and repeating it out loud and writing it down a bunch. There are subjects that you do not need to learn!!!! Do not waist time watching lectures of topics you only need to study or memorize! Most of the subjects you already learned from law school, you might just need to study them and memorize. Watching all the lectures can be the biggest waste of time.

Mbe: 250 questions per subject. Look for patterns in questions. Look for patterns in wrong answers. Look for patterns in the correct answers. Pay attention! The questions writers are not that creative. Prioritize the material in the questions you got wrong. Go back to big outline and revisit and learn the rule of stuff you got wrong.

Mee: Print every single essay you can find for MEE. Separate by subject. Most comfortable first. By the end of prep you should have at least issue spotted every single one. You ideally want to have written at least 4-6per subject.

MPT: PRACTICE COMPLETE MPTS IN THE MORNING IN TIMED CONDITIONS! Every weekend starting the last week of June until the exam , do 1 complete MPT per weekend. I kid you not these are the only free points on the exam. FREE! They literally say, "hey organize this material for me and type it up"! The only way you will feel comfortable doing this on exam day is to have done it prior.


This is all really brilliant advice.

sprinx

New
Posts: 35
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2016 11:43 am

Re: UBE Ask me anything

Postby sprinx » Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:51 am

I have a general question for bar prep tips. I'm using Barbri and answering the learning questions (there are about 8 questions in a set). I get almost all the basic legal questions correct like which of the following is protected speech. However, I'm getting all of the full-blown questions wrong where you have to apply the law to a set of facts.

I guess I'm having issues with reading comprehension and/or analysis. What should I do? More questions?

PoliLaw

New
Posts: 56
Joined: Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:07 am

Re: UBE Ask me anything

Postby PoliLaw » Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:58 pm

sprinx,

I would read the call of the question first, then read fact pattern then choices. The hardest thing to do is look at the choices in order from which is most right. If you know a choice is wrong mark it out. Then pick the answer that you are left with that is most correct. Try this. Hope this helps

LLBJD

New
Posts: 11
Joined: Sat Mar 31, 2018 8:36 pm

Re: UBE Ask me anything

Postby LLBJD » Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:53 pm

I'm using Barbri and also have the Critical Pass flashcards. Do you recommend creating my own condensed outlines? or is it better to try to use my time in reviewing the CMRs and the Critical Pass Flashcards?

Also, any experience with Adaptibar? If so, do you recommend it?

Thanks

sprinx

New
Posts: 35
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2016 11:43 am

Re: UBE Ask me anything

Postby sprinx » Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:13 am

PoliLaw wrote:sprinx,

I would read the call of the question first, then read fact pattern then choices. The hardest thing to do is look at the choices in order from which is most right. If you know a choice is wrong mark it out. Then pick the answer that you are left with that is most correct. Try this. Hope this helps


Thanks so much!

PoliLaw

New
Posts: 56
Joined: Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:07 am

Re: UBE Ask me anything

Postby PoliLaw » Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:43 pm

LLBJD wrote:I'm using Barbri and also have the Critical Pass flashcards. Do you recommend creating my own condensed outlines? or is it better to try to use my time in reviewing the CMRs and the Critical Pass Flashcards?

Also, any experience with Adaptibar? If so, do you recommend it?

Thanks


I find that for the sheer amount of information you need to know for the bar ,creating your own outline is ideal. When you condense down to your own outline you don't write down or waste time with stuff you know cold. Ie for me studying negligence. My condensed outline had all the different duties (invitee etc) listed out with the differences in full rule statements and then for breach, causation and damages I just had - B, C(PC and BFC) and D(AD, PD , PI). B- for breach C- causation PC- Proximate Cause- BFC- but for cause etc. Basically i was using extreme shorthand because I know those rules like the back of my hand. When I got to the business torts, I had full definitions again because I needed to read them over since I didn't have a tight grasp. I recommend writing them out rather than just reviewing. Personally, I see utility in flash cards for down time. When you are hanging out and doing passive study use them then. During your ramp up hrs, typing or writing is how I would use the bulk of my revision time.

Adaptibar- I have never used it. My wife did not use it. I am aware they have a ton of MBE questions. Do as many as you can but make sure you realize the difference between fatigue and not knowing the answer. Try not to do the questions at night or if you are tired, you will miss words like NOT and then get mad at yourself because you got a 50 percent on a contracts question set. Then you will restudy some area of contracts when in reality you were just tired when you got a couple of them wrong due to reading comprehension. I had this issue when I used the big Kaplan question book with all the MBE questions.

In summary use adaptibar if you want to supplement Barbri but dont burn yourself out on it.

Allux

New
Posts: 27
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:59 pm

Re: UBE Ask me anything

Postby Allux » Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:24 pm

Do you think I should read through those long outlines for Essay portion?? Or just try to memorize things on smart bar prep?
I'm a bit worried right now, knowing that some of subjects are not even going to be on the actual exam, maybe going through all those MEE outlines would be waste of time.

LaShuanMichelle

New
Posts: 21
Joined: Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:01 am

Re: UBE Ask me anything

Postby LaShuanMichelle » Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:13 pm

PoliLaw wrote:I got a lot of help from this forum so I want to pay it forward. Anyone with any questions about tactics, study habits, questions etc let me know. :D


I am repeat test taker and looking for any tips you have on the MEE/MPT. I scored a 257 on the Feb bar, and have retake only the MEE/MPT section. I got for 3's a 4 and a 1 on my last exam and for MPT I average a 3. Formatting is my weakness. Im using IRAC for the MEEs. Just wondering if I should focus more on formatting my responses like the model answers (which means using CRAC instead of IRAC and adding a summary section before diving into each section) or should I focus more on developing my answers.

Any tips you can offer based on your experience would be greatly appreciated. by the way I scored a 119.6 on my past MEE/MPT, but now I have to get a minimum of 133, so I have to find 11-12 extra points from somewhere.

Thanks so much... sincerely a person who wants to practice law!

PoliLaw

New
Posts: 56
Joined: Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:07 am

Re: UBE Ask me anything

Postby PoliLaw » Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:21 pm

Allux wrote:Do you think I should read through those long outlines for Essay portion?? Or just try to memorize things on smart bar prep?
I'm a bit worried right now, knowing that some of subjects are not even going to be on the actual exam, maybe going through all those MEE outlines would be waste of time.


Continue reading and summarizing. Dont read stuff you already know. MEE essays are often tested with multiple subjects. So do not bank on anything not being on there. How many subjects from the MEE are you confident in?

Allux

New
Posts: 27
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:59 pm

Re: UBE Ask me anything

Postby Allux » Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:27 am

PoliLaw wrote:
Allux wrote:Do you think I should read through those long outlines for Essay portion?? Or just try to memorize things on smart bar prep?
I'm a bit worried right now, knowing that some of subjects are not even going to be on the actual exam, maybe going through all those MEE outlines would be waste of time.


Continue reading and summarizing. Dont read stuff you already know. MEE essays are often tested with multiple subjects. So do not bank on anything not being on there. How many subjects from the MEE are you confident in?


I’m using Themis now,they got those really heavy outlines and with a lot of information in it. Just wondering, do you think I could simply go through their lecture hangouts? Because I thought MEE is different from MBE portion, they tend to test something more generalized rather than nuances. Planning on devoting more of my time on MBE.

PoliLaw

New
Posts: 56
Joined: Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:07 am

Re: UBE Ask me anything

Postby PoliLaw » Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:26 am

I personally would go through it all. The handout is the most tested stuff. The big outline just is there so you can at least "see" everything at least once. This past February the examiners tested sanctions. It was so random for an entire essay to be on sanctions but I had read over it and was able to bs eloquently enough. Yes you can focus more time on the handout stuff for memorizing but at least get through as much of the big outline as you can for the SUBJECT MATTER YOU DO NOT KNOW WELL.

LLBJD

New
Posts: 11
Joined: Sat Mar 31, 2018 8:36 pm

Re: UBE Ask me anything

Postby LLBJD » Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:37 am

PoliLaw wrote:
LLBJD wrote:I'm using Barbri and also have the Critical Pass flashcards. Do you recommend creating my own condensed outlines? or is it better to try to use my time in reviewing the CMRs and the Critical Pass Flashcards?

Also, any experience with Adaptibar? If so, do you recommend it?

Thanks


I find that for the sheer amount of information you need to know for the bar ,creating your own outline is ideal. When you condense down to your own outline you don't write down or waste time with stuff you know cold. Ie for me studying negligence. My condensed outline had all the different duties (invitee etc) listed out with the differences in full rule statements and then for breach, causation and damages I just had - B, C(PC and BFC) and D(AD, PD , PI). B- for breach C- causation PC- Proximate Cause- BFC- but for cause etc. Basically i was using extreme shorthand because I know those rules like the back of my hand. When I got to the business torts, I had full definitions again because I needed to read them over since I didn't have a tight grasp. I recommend writing them out rather than just reviewing. Personally, I see utility in flash cards for down time. When you are hanging out and doing passive study use them then. During your ramp up hrs, typing or writing is how I would use the bulk of my revision time.

Adaptibar- I have never used it. My wife did not use it. I am aware they have a ton of MBE questions. Do as many as you can but make sure you realize the difference between fatigue and not knowing the answer. Try not to do the questions at night or if you are tired, you will miss words like NOT and then get mad at yourself because you got a 50 percent on a contracts question set. Then you will restudy some area of contracts when in reality you were just tired when you got a couple of them wrong due to reading comprehension. I had this issue when I used the big Kaplan question book with all the MBE questions.

In summary use adaptibar if you want to supplement Barbri but dont burn yourself out on it.


Thanks! With respect to practicing MBE questions, Barbri does not assign more than 30 a day (and sometimes even less). I noticed that you recommend doing 250 MBE questions per subject, are there any supplements that you recommend/used?

PoliLaw

New
Posts: 56
Joined: Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:07 am

Re: UBE Ask me anything

Postby PoliLaw » Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:56 pm

LLBJD wrote:
PoliLaw wrote:
LLBJD wrote:I'm using Barbri and also have the Critical Pass flashcards. Do you recommend creating my own condensed outlines? or is it better to try to use my time in reviewing the CMRs and the Critical Pass Flashcards?

Also, any experience with Adaptibar? If so, do you recommend it?

Thanks


I find that for the sheer amount of information you need to know for the bar ,creating your own outline is ideal. When you condense down to your own outline you don't write down or waste time with stuff you know cold. Ie for me studying negligence. My condensed outline had all the different duties (invitee etc) listed out with the differences in full rule statements and then for breach, causation and damages I just had - B, C(PC and BFC) and D(AD, PD , PI). B- for breach C- causation PC- Proximate Cause- BFC- but for cause etc. Basically i was using extreme shorthand because I know those rules like the back of my hand. When I got to the business torts, I had full definitions again because I needed to read them over since I didn't have a tight grasp. I recommend writing them out rather than just reviewing. Personally, I see utility in flash cards for down time. When you are hanging out and doing passive study use them then. During your ramp up hrs, typing or writing is how I would use the bulk of my revision time.

Adaptibar- I have never used it. My wife did not use it. I am aware they have a ton of MBE questions. Do as many as you can but make sure you realize the difference between fatigue and not knowing the answer. Try not to do the questions at night or if you are tired, you will miss words like NOT and then get mad at yourself because you got a 50 percent on a contracts question set. Then you will restudy some area of contracts when in reality you were just tired when you got a couple of them wrong due to reading comprehension. I had this issue when I used the big Kaplan question book with all the MBE questions.

In summary use adaptibar if you want to supplement Barbri but dont burn yourself out on it.


Thanks! With respect to practicing MBE questions, Barbri does not assign more than 30 a day (and sometimes even less). I noticed that you recommend doing 250 MBE questions per subject, are there any supplements that you recommend/used?



Sure. Kaplan has a huge MBE book. Just reach out to someone you know that used or is using Kaplan.

b290

Bronze
Posts: 280
Joined: Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:28 pm

Re: UBE Ask me anything

Postby b290 » Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:34 pm

PoliLaw wrote:Timed Conditions: You have over a month and a half before the exam so relax. Easy way to get comfortable writing timed essays is setting a timer for 5 min and reading the call of the question first and then reading the fact pattern. After that, outline! Practice doing just that for the subject you are most comfortable with. Next, set a clock for 25 min and go back and write the essay. That was the only way I could force myself to outline.


General Prep: This is taking into account how much time you have left to study.... There is a difference between learning a subject, studying a subject and memorizing rules. I never took secured trans so I actually had to learn it by watching a lecture. Then i needed to understand it deeper so I studied ie filling in the blanks, reading over the material from a big outline, reading essays etc. After that I got to memorizing by condensing and repeating it out loud and writing it down a bunch. There are subjects that you do not need to learn!!!! Do not waist time watching lectures of topics you only need to study or memorize! Most of the subjects you already learned from law school, you might just need to study them and memorize. Watching all the lectures can be the biggest waste of time.

Mbe: 250 questions per subject. Look for patterns in questions. Look for patterns in wrong answers. Look for patterns in the correct answers. Pay attention! The questions writers are not that creative. Prioritize the material in the questions you got wrong. Go back to big outline and revisit and learn the rule of stuff you got wrong.

Mee: Print every single essay you can find for MEE. Separate by subject. Most comfortable first. By the end of prep you should have at least issue spotted every single one. You ideally want to have written at least 4-6per subject.

MPT: PRACTICE COMPLETE MPTS IN THE MORNING IN TIMED CONDITIONS! Every weekend starting the last week of June until the exam , do 1 complete MPT per weekend. I kid you not these are the only free points on the exam. FREE! They literally say, "hey organize this material for me and type it up"! The only way you will feel comfortable doing this on exam day is to have done it prior.

1. 250 questions per MBE subject comes to 1750. I didn't even look for patterns, but they popped up, and that's as much as I did on Adaptibar. My passing MBE was a 142, and I can def vouch for this (not that you need my approval :lol: )

2. Everybody taking the UBE should really heed to the highlighted. Saves so much time!!!

Thanks for this! I was going to post something similar - you deserve a medal. Well done counselor :D

My $.02

supersonicfast

New
Posts: 19
Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2010 9:21 pm

Re: UBE Ask me anything

Postby supersonicfast » Sat Jun 16, 2018 1:19 pm

When you say MPTs, you mean two MPTs (3 hours), right? Not just one?

PoliLaw

New
Posts: 56
Joined: Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:07 am

Re: UBE Ask me anything

Postby PoliLaw » Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:40 pm

LaShuanMichelle wrote:
PoliLaw wrote:I got a lot of help from this forum so I want to pay it forward. Anyone with any questions about tactics, study habits, questions etc let me know. :D


I am repeat test taker and looking for any tips you have on the MEE/MPT. I scored a 257 on the Feb bar, and have retake only the MEE/MPT section. I got for 3's a 4 and a 1 on my last exam and for MPT I average a 3. Formatting is my weakness. Im using IRAC for the MEEs. Just wondering if I should focus more on formatting my responses like the model answers (which means using CRAC instead of IRAC and adding a summary section before diving into each section) or should I focus more on developing my answers.

Any tips you can offer based on your experience would be greatly appreciated. by the way I scored a 119.6 on my past MEE/MPT, but now I have to get a minimum of 133, so I have to find 11-12 extra points from somewhere.

Thanks so much... sincerely a person who wants to practice law!

LaShaunMichelle, Sorry I didnt see this earlier. CRAC! Leave irac behind. You only have to complete one part so you can really hone in on the MEE. What materials are you using? IF you can use the RIGOS MEE BOOK. You are not doing MBE practice question so you should have nothing but time to do every essay available. For your situation that is my recommendation. For MPT do one timed one a week for 4 weeks.

PoliLaw

New
Posts: 56
Joined: Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:07 am

Re: UBE Ask me anything

Postby PoliLaw » Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:42 pm

supersonicfast wrote:When you say MPTs, you mean two MPTs (3 hours), right? Not just one?


You can do one per week as in one 90 min session.



Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum?

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: barprepforca, cabartaker92 and 28 guests