reciprocity question Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
pdwannabe

New

reciprocity question

Post by pdwannabe » Wed May 16, 2018 1:57 pm

Does anyone know much about how reciprocity works? I’ve been trying to find out if I can transfer my passing score from IL to MO. I’ve tried contacting the Missouri bar, but they just direct me to the rule on their website which is pretty unclear for me.

I passed the IL bar in feb 2017, and for Missouri you have to transfer scores within 19 months. So that’s why I’m suddenly looking at this because this would be my last opportunity to do it. Basically, I’m wondering if it would allow me admission on motion without having to take another exam, or if there is still a missouri part I’d have to sit for.

The IL bar has both the MEE and the MPT on it, which the MO bar also has. I can’t really tell whether I’d still have to sit for day one or not.

So...is anyone an expert on this? It all seems really confusing to me, and it’s such a long process to apply that I’d rather know ahead of time if it’s possible.

Honikane

New

Re: reciprocity question

Post by Honikane » Wed May 16, 2018 4:03 pm

I am assuming you took Illinois's jurisdiction specific exam. Missouri is a UBE jurisdiction. As such, your only option would be admission on motion and you would need to be practicing for 5 of the last 10 years. I don't believe they allow admission based solely on a transferred MBE score. Where did you get the info on transferring scores within 19 months?

kyle010723

Silver

Post by kyle010723 » Thu May 17, 2018 3:05 pm

pdwannabe wrote:Does anyone know much about how reciprocity works? I’ve been trying to find out if I can transfer my passing score from IL to MO. I’ve tried contacting the Missouri bar, but they just direct me to the rule on their website which is pretty unclear for me.

I passed the IL bar in feb 2017, and for Missouri you have to transfer scores within 19 months. So that’s why I’m suddenly looking at this because this would be my last opportunity to do it. Basically, I’m wondering if it would allow me admission on motion without having to take another exam, or if there is still a missouri part I’d have to sit for.

The IL bar has both the MEE and the MPT on it, which the MO bar also has. I can’t really tell whether I’d still have to sit for day one or not.

So...is anyone an expert on this? It all seems really confusing to me, and it’s such a long process to apply that I’d rather know ahead of time if it’s possible.
I have to go through a similar process to transfer my MBE score from IL to Michigan. Based on the NCBE guide, the procedures appear similar between Michigan and MO.

My experience is that at least for Michigan, they will accept your MBE score within the prescribed time limit and use it as if you took the MBE in their jurisdiction. However, you still have to sit for the essay portion of the exam.

So assuming MI and MO are similar in accepting MBE score transfer, the answer is yes, you will still have to sit for the essay part of the exam.

pdwannabe

New

Post by pdwannabe » Thu May 17, 2018 11:31 pm

yeah, that appears to be correct. thanks

the 19 months is missouri specific for the time frame of when they will accept an mbe score

now i just have to figure out how to do that from illinois since it doesnt allow the ncbe to do it

pdwannabe

New

Post by pdwannabe » Thu May 17, 2018 11:33 pm

kyle010723 wrote:
pdwannabe wrote:Does anyone know much about how reciprocity works? I’ve been trying to find out if I can transfer my passing score from IL to MO. I’ve tried contacting the Missouri bar, but they just direct me to the rule on their website which is pretty unclear for me.

I have to go through a similar process to transfer my MBE score from IL to Michigan. Based on the NCBE guide, the procedures appear similar between Michigan and MO.

My experience is that at least for Michigan, they will accept your MBE score within the prescribed time limit and use it as if you took the MBE in their jurisdiction. However, you still have to sit for the essay portion of the exam.

So assuming MI and MO are similar in accepting MBE score transfer, the answer is yes, you will still have to sit for the essay part of the exam.
have you found the procedure for transferring the MBE score from illinois? i know its one of the states that doesn't allow the ncbe to do it

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

kyle010723

Silver

Post by kyle010723 » Fri May 18, 2018 10:47 am

pdwannabe wrote:
have you found the procedure for transferring the MBE score from illinois? i know its one of the states that doesn't allow the ncbe to do it
Here you go

https://www.ilbaradmissions.org/mbe-score

pdwannabe

New

Post by pdwannabe » Fri May 18, 2018 5:26 pm

oh, thats easy. thanks!!!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”