Torn between BarMax MBE prep and Adaptibar MBE prep

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
satelliteskin

New

Torn between BarMax MBE prep and Adaptibar MBE prep

Postby satelliteskin » Mon May 07, 2018 3:56 pm

Hey guys,

Just wanted to get your input on what program you'd recommend - either the BarMax Prep which costs a cool $299 or the AdaptiBar program that's $395 but comes with all four (4) of the NCBE mbe practice exams? I just took the February bar and while my essay grades were strong/above average - my mbe fell flat. I used Themis last summer and this summer to no avail, I failed the first time by 10 points and this past February by 3 points. I decided to take studying into my own hands and really focus on the MBE and use all my outlines/books from Themis to study for the substantive Pennsylvania subjects and distinctions.

Do you recommend I buy BarMax or Adaptibar? or both?

christinabear4

New

Re: Torn between BarMax MBE prep and Adaptibar MBE prep

Postby christinabear4 » Mon May 07, 2018 4:39 pm

I quite like Adaptibar. The questions seem to test on multiple rules of law as well as nuances. The answer analysis is good. Adaptibar seems to be popular in the forums. I use Barbri questions too, which are written a bit differently and seem to cover different things. I also like Strategies and Tactics by Emanual. I will be starting Kaplan's MBE questions soon so maybe I can post again about those. I got a good discount by calling the Kaplan representative to go with their course. I can't speak to Barmax.
My study strategy will be to create my outline from bar review questions and answers.

ndbigdave

Bronze

Postby ndbigdave » Tue May 08, 2018 9:28 am

satelliteskin wrote:Hey guys,

Just wanted to get your input on what program you'd recommend - either the BarMax Prep which costs a cool $299 or the AdaptiBar program that's $395 but comes with all four (4) of the NCBE mbe practice exams? I just took the February bar and while my essay grades were strong/above average - my mbe fell flat. I used Themis last summer and this summer to no avail, I failed the first time by 10 points and this past February by 3 points. I decided to take studying into my own hands and really focus on the MBE and use all my outlines/books from Themis to study for the substantive Pennsylvania subjects and distinctions.

Do you recommend I buy BarMax or Adaptibar? or both?

I have used both.

If I could only have one, I would say BarMax.

What the programs come down to is offering the previously released NCBE questions (Civ Pro being simulated questions) along with answer explanations and tracking tools. What will set the two part is that BarMax (at a cheaper price) will include "skeleton outlines" and audio lectures for all of the MBE subjects. You can purchase lectures to supplement your Adaptibar, but that is an added cost.

Adaptibar does have the better tracking and analytics between the two programs, but BarMax is improving with how they track your previous results. This is a key to using the programs effectively, you need to recognize strengths/weaknesses so that you can focus your studying as time goes by on weak areas. It also helps to review the NCBE MBE outline where the NCBE explicitly states the rough percentage of questions that will come from each section of the outline, there are clearly "main areas" for nearly every subject that you definitely want to master prior to focusing on more nuanced sections.

I personally really enjoyed the BarMax lectures, I thought they were deep enough to be useful but not so long or nuanced that I couldn't get through a few a day. At 1.5X or 2.0X speed I could get through a number of lectures a day and get through them multiple times prior to the exam. When combined with other outlines and texts I had I was able to listen, read and apply concepts which lead to success.

vandyclark

New

Postby vandyclark » Fri May 11, 2018 4:51 pm

Avoid Adaptibar. They are extremely nasty to customers. I was trying to refer friends from a study group but the codes weren’t working. I asked them what was up & they accused me of trying to scam them & basically said I had no right to be an attorney. AVOID ADAPTIBAR

kingkonglaw

New

Postby kingkonglaw » Sun May 13, 2018 11:42 am

Woah vandy! That’s pretty gnarly!

If you don’t mind me asking, what codes were you trying to use? Like discount codes or was it like an affiliate referral program?

Just curious as I usually sing their praises to people but maybe want to be a bit more careful... :shock:

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum?