New York Pro Bono hours for foreign lawyer - help! Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
nada123

New

New York Pro Bono hours for foreign lawyer - help!

Post by nada123 » Sun May 06, 2018 7:58 pm

I'm a foreign lawyer and would like to complete the 50 hours pro bono requirement in New York (i know you can also do it overseas).

Does anyone have experience, know or heard of foreign lawyers who have taken this approach? Is it easy to apply for pro bono positions if you are not from the US but have passed the bar exam?

Any help appreciated. Thanks in advance!

b290

Bronze

Re: New York Pro Bono hours for foreign lawyer - help!

Post by b290 » Mon May 07, 2018 9:54 am

nada123 wrote:I'm a foreign lawyer and would like to complete the 50 hours pro bono requirement in New York (i know you can also do it overseas).

Does anyone have experience, know or heard of foreign lawyers who have taken this approach? Is it easy to apply for pro bono positions if you are not from the US but have passed the bar exam?

Are you based in the US currently? I met an attorney in law school and became his volunteer legal assistant. He’s a solo so he gladly accepted the free help. I also gained a mentor and the skills needed to practice right now. Between just straight up volunteering, and clinics, there are plenty of ways to meet 50 hours. It sounds like a lot, but it really isn’t.

Call the your applicable Department to see what overseas work counts. You may’ve met the requirement already.

My $.02

nada123

New

Post by nada123 » Mon May 07, 2018 6:31 pm

b290 wrote:
nada123 wrote:I'm a foreign lawyer and would like to complete the 50 hours pro bono requirement in New York (i know you can also do it overseas).

Are you based in the US currently? I met an attorney in law school and became his volunteer legal assistant. He’s a solo so he gladly accepted the free help. I also gained a mentor and the skills needed to practice right now. Between just straight up volunteering, and clinics, there are plenty of ways to meet 50 hours. It sounds like a lot, but it really isn’t.

Call the your applicable Department to see what overseas work counts. You may’ve met the requirement already.

My $.02
Thanks for the reply.

I’m not in the US right now but was hoping to get something lined up and complete the hours in one go when i’m there later in the year to take the MPRE exam. Just unsure if they need to see you in person/interviews beforehand etc

Bass

New

Post by Bass » Tue May 08, 2018 12:55 am

In my experience, it is extremely difficult to secure a pro bono position with pro bono organisations in New York as a foreigner. Most organisations admit only current JD students.

I am a Singaporean and fulfiled my pro bono requirements in a pro bono organisation in Singapore.

b290

Bronze

Post by b290 » Tue May 08, 2018 1:38 am

Bass wrote:In my experience, it is extremely difficult to secure a pro bono position with pro bono organisations in New York as a foreigner. Most organisations admit only current JD students.

I am a Singaporean and fulfiled my pro bono requirements in a pro bono organisation in Singapore.
Correct. NY pro bono organizations have been hard to get into, even for JD students. It’s only gotten worse since NY added the 50 hr requirement. Many schools have their own clinics, but again that’s an option mainly for JD students (and/or LLM students based in the US).

Also even if you stick to the MPRE + pro bono plan, another problem is how you’ll pull it off. Coming in from abroad = your visa determines what you can/can’t do. Unless you have it pre-arranged, and your visa allows for it, it’s a non-starter. An org will definitely want to know if you’re authorized to work in the US and pro bono is still counted as “work.”

Again, call the pertinent Department. Bass’ option sounds like the best one.

My $.02

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

UKATTORNEYUSA

New

Post by UKATTORNEYUSA » Tue May 08, 2018 8:39 am

Organizations in NY will not allow you to do 50 hrs pro bono over a few weeks or so. It has to be spaced out in months, 3-6 at the minimum. If you do not have permanent resident status then you will require a H1B visa, because pro bono is work even though you do not get paid.

I am a foreign applicant and did my 50 hours long distance with an organization based in Texas (Texaslawhelp.org). NY now has a law help website that you could probably try.

BL2017

New

Post by BL2017 » Tue May 08, 2018 10:26 am

UKATTORNEYUSA wrote:Organizations in NY will not allow you to do 50 hrs pro bono over a few weeks or so. It has to be spaced out in months, 3-6 at the minimum. If you do not have permanent resident status then you will require a H1B visa, because pro bono is work even though you do not get paid.

I am a foreign applicant and did my 50 hours long distance with an organization based in Texas (Texaslawhelp.org). NY now has a law help website that you could probably try.
You can also try volunteering as LiveHelp Operator with Illinoislegalaid.org. I know many individuals volunteer with that org and fulfill their requirements for the NY bar.

albanach

Gold

Post by albanach » Tue May 08, 2018 5:13 pm

UKATTORNEYUSA wrote: If you do not have permanent resident status then you will require a H1B visa, because pro bono is work even though you do not get paid.
You don't think there's any pro-bono that would be considered a voluntary service program?

UKATTORNEYUSA

New

Post by UKATTORNEYUSA » Tue May 08, 2018 6:25 pm

albanach wrote:
UKATTORNEYUSA wrote: If you do not have permanent resident status then you will require a H1B visa, because pro bono is work even though you do not get paid.
You don't think there's any pro-bono that would be considered a voluntary service program?
Pro bono will not be considered as a voluntary service program, unless you are a member of a non profit charitable organization that has such a program. You will need to bear in mind that organizations offering pro bono work are geared towards JD students but will accept LLM students as well. This is arranged through the law schools in exchange for academic credit.

The US Embassy were very clear that the most appropriate visa is H1B for pro bono work in the legal sector.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

nada123

New

Post by nada123 » Tue May 08, 2018 9:29 pm

BL2017 wrote:
UKATTORNEYUSA wrote:Organizations in NY will not allow you to do 50 hrs pro bono over a few weeks or so. It has to be spaced out in months, 3-6 at the minimum. If you do not have permanent resident status then you will require a H1B visa, because pro bono is work even though you do not get paid.

You can also try volunteering as LiveHelp Operator with Illinoislegalaid.org. I know many individuals volunteer with that org and fulfill their requirements for the NY bar.
Thank you all for the great suggestions. Much appreciated! I have permanent residence status so no issues about working in the US.

@UKATTORNEYUSA, did you complete the hours as a law student/intern or as a lawyer/attorney (assuming you are registered as a lawyer in the UK? but not yet in the US)? Most of the pro bono websites only have those volunteer categories to choose from. If you don't mind sharing, what kind of long distance work were you able to do?

nada123

New

Post by nada123 » Tue May 08, 2018 9:36 pm

Bass wrote:In my experience, it is extremely difficult to secure a pro bono position with pro bono organisations in New York as a foreigner. Most organisations admit only current JD students.

Thank you Bass. Did you have to submit any additional documentation to the NY board because the pro bono was completed in a foreign country? Was it hard/easy to sort out?

UKATTORNEYUSA

New

Post by UKATTORNEYUSA » Wed May 09, 2018 3:45 am

nada123 wrote:
BL2017 wrote:

Thank you all for the great suggestions. Much appreciated! I have permanent residence status so no issues about working in the US.

@UKATTORNEYUSA, did you complete the hours as a law student/intern or as a lawyer/attorney (assuming you are registered as a lawyer in the UK? but not yet in the US)? Most of the pro bono websites only have those volunteer categories to choose from. If you don't mind sharing, what kind of long distance work were you able to do?
Neither, as I work as a Paralegal since graduating. I just sent out speculative emails explaining the NY requirements that I needed to fulfill. I was a live help operator assisting pro se litigants with finding info on the website based on their legal needs under direct supervision of an attorney.

Findedeux

Bronze

Post by Findedeux » Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:02 pm

LiveHelp Operator with Illinoislegalaid.org

Has anyone else used the above to get their pro bono hours done?

It sounds really convenient but I'm not sure it would be accepted.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

VulloPort

New

Post by VulloPort » Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:36 am

@Findedeux

I used Illinois Legal Aid Online (ILAO) to complete my Pro Bono requirement. It was very convenient and NY does accept it. Also, ILAO frequently works with NY Applicants so they have all the forms for the Pro Bono requirement and they make the whole process super easy.

frqw9201

New

Post by frqw9201 » Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:08 pm

Literally any legal work that you do for free or even paid if its for government or non profit will count, as long as you can get someone who supervised you to sign the form

Its not that complicated I am not sure why people in this thread are having such a hard time. Just call places and ask if you can volunteer for a week or two I am sure a non profit who is swamped would love some help.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”