THEMIS JULY 2018 - DISCUSSION

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
jcwest

New

Re: THEMIS JULY 2018 - DISCUSSION

Postby jcwest » Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:11 am

maroon175 wrote:Chances of family law being tested seem really low. Is anyone skipping this topic completely?

How did you come to this conclusion?

dabigchina

Silver

Postby dabigchina » Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:24 am

abogado2018 wrote:
dabigchina wrote:
BlueLaw11 wrote:
dabigchina wrote:Anyone else here taking California and finding some of these essay questions insanely obscure? I just did not one, but two Civ Pro essays that heavily revolved around discovery rules. Also did a Crim Pro question that heavily involved the determination of what is considered "testimony," which was barely touched upon.

Agreed, some of these go into bizarrely specific concepts and it kinda freaks me out. Speaking of, have you had any Civ Pro essays concerning CA Civil Procedure? I haven't had any yet, I'm wondering if it's even worth taking the time learning the distinctions...

I haven't seen a single one yet, and I think I have 1 more civ pro essay left. I'm thinking the same thing tbh.

Heads up--July 2016 had a CA civ pro essay.
http://www.calbar.ca.gov/Portals/0/docu ... ions_R.pdf

Sigh great.

Mgl

New

Postby Mgl » Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:53 am

Hi All
I saw someone asking earlier whether Themis questions were representative of actual MBE questions with respect to difficulty and thought I’d share on the issue. I recently did the newest released 210 questions from NCBE and found that Themis is pretty spot on with difficulty maybe just a little harder except civil procedure. I got killed on the ncbe civ pro questions and was doing ok on the Themis so ..

titusandromedus

New

Postby titusandromedus » Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:30 am

Mgl wrote:Hi All
I saw someone asking earlier whether Themis questions were representative of actual MBE questions with respect to difficulty and thought I’d share on the issue. I recently did the newest released 210 questions from NCBE and found that Themis is pretty spot on with difficulty maybe just a little harder except civil procedure. I got killed on the ncbe civ pro questions and was doing ok on the Themis so ..

Would you recommend getting the NCBE questions as practice? Did you find it helpful to see the different ways the NCBE words questions? I've been debating supplementing my prep with them.

TIA

Neilt001

Postby Neilt001 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:38 am

titusandromedus wrote:

Would you recommend getting the NCBE questions as practice? Did you find it helpful to see the different ways the NCBE words questions? I've been debating supplementing my prep with them.

TIA

Hey both.

When I was studying for Feb 2018, I purchased an NCBE set. I found that it contained lots of questions that I had already done on Themis (word for word) and the other questions were pretty much indistinguishable, as far as I could tell, in terms of style and difficulty.

Having said that, it can't hurt and may give you some peace of mind (and hey, you may even have a different opinion than me as to how they compare) so I say go for it. But I think you'll find it doesn't add much to your study.

titusandromedus

New

Postby titusandromedus » Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:19 am

Neilt001 wrote:
titusandromedus wrote:

TIA

Hey both.

When I was studying for Feb 2018, I purchased an NCBE set. I found that it contained lots of questions that I had already done on Themis (word for word) and the other questions were pretty much indistinguishable, as far as I could tell, in terms of style and difficulty.

Having said that, it can't hurt and may give you some peace of mind (and hey, you may even have a different opinion than me as to how they compare) so I say go for it. But I think you'll find it doesn't add much to your study.

Thanks for the response! The 210 questions don't include answer explanations, correct?

dabigchina

Silver

Postby dabigchina » Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:20 am

Can you elaborate on the civ pro questions? How were they harder? More specific rules about timing/motions practice? Harder questions about jx?

Lawworld19

Bronze

Postby Lawworld19 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:40 am

66% on PT 9. I need round a 135-140 to pass my state. I am really cutting things close.

gasfard

New

Postby gasfard » Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:03 pm

Finally hit 70%+ with two of my most recent mixed MBE PQs but they both had goals of 70%. Guess I just had lucky sets?

LawIsLyfe33

New

Postby LawIsLyfe33 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:18 pm

Lawworld19 wrote:66% on PT 9. I need round a 135-140 to pass my state. I am really cutting things close.

IMHO, if you're at 65% for Themis you'll get 140, maybe even closer to 150

maroon175

Bronze

Postby maroon175 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:26 pm

jcwest wrote:
maroon175 wrote:Chances of family law being tested seem really low. Is anyone skipping this topic completely?

Just guessing based off the MEE subject frequency chart.

Lawworld19

Bronze

Postby Lawworld19 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:41 pm

LawIsLyfe33 wrote:
Lawworld19 wrote:66% on PT 9. I need round a 135-140 to pass my state. I am really cutting things close.

My most recent past Mixed sets have been 62, 64, 64, 70, 66.

But I also just started studying full time Saturday. I have worked full time up until Sat at a stressful ass billable job. I studied everyday for a few hours. Still while getting emails from bosses making sure I am drafting shit and billing. Was brutal. It is also a new job, so started studying for my first job, then came to a brand new firm the day bar study opened. Do not recommend this set up.

PT 4 I bombed IDK why.

Lawworld19

Bronze

Postby Lawworld19 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:42 pm

Studying for my first bar***

2015_Splitter

New

Postby 2015_Splitter » Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:49 pm

jcwest wrote:

Not OP, but probably the MEE Chart and prediction that can be found on this site: https://www.excellenceinlawschool.com/j ... edictions/

2015_Splitter

New

Postby 2015_Splitter » Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:55 pm

Saratoga Springs takers - how do you feel about the extortion the board is trying to pull on us for lunch ($22 for a turkey sandwich?!). I've never been to Saratoga, are there quick places to eat near the test center or is this really the best option if we don't want to be stressed about rushing through lunch?

RareExports

Silver

Postby RareExports » Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:22 pm

2015_Splitter wrote:Saratoga Springs takers - how do you feel about the extortion the board is trying to pull on us for lunch ($22 for a turkey sandwich?!). I've never been to Saratoga, are there quick places to eat near the test center or is this really the best option if we don't want to be stressed about rushing through lunch?

They're pulling the same scam at Albany. I refuse to pay out of principle, even though the convenience probably justifies the price. Going to scope out the area the day before, and if I can't find anything, I'll just bring a sandwich from home to keep in the coat room.

Lawworld19

Bronze

Postby Lawworld19 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:27 pm

Those bastards. Shit is unconscionable.

CBlaw

New

Postby CBlaw » Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:33 pm

haha yea i was like wow 20$ so dollars for a fucking sandwich meal BS on that. Gonna be brining my own or like someone else said looking for a local sandwich place

Neilt001

Postby Neilt001 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:41 pm

titusandromedus wrote:
Neilt001 wrote:
titusandromedus wrote:

TIA

Hey both.

Thanks for the response! The 210 questions don't include answer explanations, correct?

Hmm, that's a good question. I think they did?? can't remember. I don't think they would be much use if they didn't, that's for sure!

Neilt001

Postby Neilt001 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:43 pm

LawIsLyfe33 wrote:

I think that's right. Scoring mid-60s on Themis is probably a passing MBE score. I scored in the mid 60s and ended up with a 151, miraculously. And anecdotally, most people seem to score way higher on the MBE than on Themis.

I wouldn't get worried or stressed. I would just keep hammering the MBE PQs, learning from all your mistakes, and learning more and more rules. By the time the bar rolls around, you'll definitely be in passing territory, despite scoring poorly on Themis PQs.

Neilt001

Postby Neilt001 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:44 pm

CBlaw wrote:haha yea i was like wow 20$ so dollars for a fucking sandwich meal BS on that. Gonna be brining my own or like someone else said looking for a local sandwich place

Yeah it's absolutely insane. I brought my own. No waiting around, no lines, quick and easy and cheap.

Sleepless_in_Themis

New

Postby Sleepless_in_Themis » Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:09 pm

My MBE mixed sets are in the 70's and 80's but practice exams are in the 60's, what's the best way to make sure MBE scores are better reflected on the actual exam day?

MGH1989

Bronze

Postby MGH1989 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:42 pm

Anyone else still feel like they are having trouble memorizing? I'm not talking like obscure things, but not necessarily something simple. For instance, the elements of an injunction, or the elements for a class action. Its like I intuitively know these type of things (at least enough to answer a question about them on the MBE), but when I'm under the pressure of an essay I can't for the life of my recite shit to have a decent rule statement. I feel like come exam day I'm gonna be wording things incorrectly and just making up rules.

dabigchina

Silver

Postby dabigchina » Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:49 pm

MGH1989 wrote:Anyone else still feel like they are having trouble memorizing? I'm not talking like obscure things, but not necessarily something simple. For instance, the elements of an injunction, or the elements for a class action. Its like I intuitively know these type of things (at least enough to answer a question about them on the MBE), but when I'm under the pressure of an essay I can't for the life of my recite shit to have a decent rule statement. I feel like come exam day I'm gonna be wording things incorrectly and just making up rules.

I have this issue with torts because every single tort has 5+ elements. I've been typing out elements of rules over and over again to memorize.

At the end of the day, I think i'm going to have to wing a couple of rules on the essays because it's impossible to remember all the elements of all the obscure rules.

Lawworld19

Bronze

Postby Lawworld19 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:56 pm

MGH1989 wrote:Anyone else still feel like they are having trouble memorizing? I'm not talking like obscure things, but not necessarily something simple. For instance, the elements of an injunction, or the elements for a class action. Its like I intuitively know these type of things (at least enough to answer a question about them on the MBE), but when I'm under the pressure of an essay I can't for the life of my recite shit to have a decent rule statement. I feel like come exam day I'm gonna be wording things incorrectly and just making up rules.

If you go through CP flashcards you will realize there is no way to memorize ever element. If some people can they deserve to pass and I deserve to fail. I am getting 60-70% correct on MBE mixed sets, graduated from a normal state law school, I should pass. If I don't, so be it. Better luck next time. I will work as hard as possible up until test day, but I really doubt we have to know every element cold to pass. I mean what do they expect us to do. live in a North Korean prison camp for three months?

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum?