THEMIS JULY 2018 - DISCUSSION

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Superbeast

New

Re: THEMIS JULY 2018 - DISCUSSION

Postby Superbeast » Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:53 pm

abogado2018 wrote:Gunnery tip: if you want to get a head start on tomorrow's MBE review videos, but the interface won't let you, change your timezone in settings to somewhere in Europe so the system thinks it's tomorrow :lol:

Sorry...

doing God's work

lawlurk

New

Postby lawlurk » Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:52 pm

2015_Splitter wrote:
Pajsa18 wrote:
2015_Splitter wrote:
Pajsa18 wrote:There was a question in the morning simulated MBE that referenced a JX that had abandoned the zone of danger requirement for NEID, but then said the mother could not recover because she was not within the zone of danger - am I missing something here? I thought she could recover specifically because the JX had "abandoned the requirement"???

This is always super confusing to me as well. I think I got this. There are two ways to get NIED.

#1: Zone of Danger: You're a random person when something catastrophic happened near you that made you scared. So, for example, you're walking down the street, and the pole falls mere feet in front of you crushing the boy. You don't know the boy, but you were terrified for your own life and you suffer emotion damage. Normally, you have an NIED claim. However, this jurisdiction has disclaimed zone of danger recovery.

#2. You're related to someone and something catastrophic happens to them while you're around. You're in your house watching your son from the window. Your son is playing 500 feet away from the house when you see the pole break and crush your son. You have a breakdown from that sight.

So, in this question - the zone of danger portion was a red herring designed to make you think of situation #1. (They got me too.) However, we were always in situation #2 under these facts. Only problem is that the woman was nowhere near perceiving the catastrophic event happening to her son. So she can't recover under #2 either.

Edit:

There's a #3 way of getting to NIED. #3 - Special Scenarios

This is when a morgue mishandles the body of a loved one, a physician improperly diagnoses you, etc.

Thank you for the explanation! The problem for me - I think - is the wording on the part where the JX has abandoned the requirement. I took it as the abandonment made it no longer necessary to "see" the accident despite not being in the zone - some of these questions are worded so that I don't get it, even when I "get it" if you know what I mean? Lol

I totally know what you mean, and I read it the same exact way as you and got it wrong for the same reason. There's quite a few I get wrong because I interpret the problem differently than Themis. Hopefully, the NCBE questions aren't open for interpretation lol.

Idk if this reasoning is the same and my brain is over it, but I got it right. I think it was modeled after the CA tort case Dillion v. Legg. CA abandoned that zone of danger requirement in that case. And following Dillion "factors" here she wasn't close to the scene of accident (several miles away), plus she didn't hear or see it for herself contemporaneously, instead she learned of the news over the phone. I think thats why the fact pattern made a point about her distance and the phone call. I think I am just repeating most of the points already said, but ya thats my take.lol

LawIsLyfe33

New

Postby LawIsLyfe33 » Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:04 am

Is anyone skipping the MBE Analysis Lectures? I don't think I can sit through 6 hours of lectures going through each question. I would much rather just review the exam on my own in less than half the time.

White Dwarf

Bronze

Postby White Dwarf » Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:22 am

LawIsLyfe33 wrote:Is anyone skipping the MBE Analysis Lectures? I don't think I can sit through 6 hours of lectures going through each question. I would much rather just review the exam on my own in less than half the time.

Yeah, I skipped all of the MBE Workshops too. Pretty pointless.

CBlaw

New

Postby CBlaw » Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:12 pm

Do you think this practice exam was a good representation of our strengths and weaknesses? Thinking about focusing my studies on the subjects i did bad on but not sure what I should base my percentages on... For example, if i look at my overall themis percentages for Property (like every question I have done up to this point) its in the low 50's but my property percentage on this practice exam was 68%. Im not sure if the prop questions were just easier on this exam or that I have just improved since starting.

Anyone have any thoughts?

RareExports

Silver

Postby RareExports » Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:40 pm

CBlaw wrote:Do you think this practice exam was a good representation of our strengths and weaknesses? Thinking about focusing my studies on the subjects i did bad on but not sure what I should base my percentages on... For example, if i look at my overall themis percentages for Property (like every question I have done up to this point) its in the low 50's but my property percentage on this practice exam was 68%. Im not sure if the prop questions were just easier on this exam or that I have just improved since starting.

Anyone have any thoughts?

I think the practice exam was representative of what the actual exam will be like, but the sample size for each subject is way too small to draw any inferences. 68% on Property is three wrong/right guesses away from 56% or 80%.

Tala29

New

Postby Tala29 » Sat Jul 07, 2018 3:22 pm

How is everyone prioritizing memorization at this point?

I honestly think at this point I should for example know all the elements for the crimes by heart and I don't (seriously forgot the difference between larceny by trick and false pretenses for example).

I have been trying to memorize for the essay subjects a little, not sure if it's sticking because it's just too much.

Any tips on what to focus on for memory at this point? I feel like it's too late to memorize even all the big concepts for each subject.

ithrowds

Bronze

Postby ithrowds » Sat Jul 07, 2018 4:02 pm

Tala29 wrote:How is everyone prioritizing memorization at this point?

I honestly think at this point I should for example know all the elements for the crimes by heart and I don't (seriously forgot the difference between larceny by trick and false pretenses for example).

I have been trying to memorize for the essay subjects a little, not sure if it's sticking because it's just too much.

Any tips on what to focus on for memory at this point? I feel like it's too late to memorize even all the big concepts for each subject.

Its not too late - you have over two weeks still at this point. I know a lot of people that haven't even actively gotten into memorizing yet and are still doing lectures. Thats not to say you should put it off, you should probably start asap.

dabigchina

Silver

Postby dabigchina » Sat Jul 07, 2018 6:57 pm

Did anyone else find that the evidence questions were surprisingly hard? Going through them now and a bunch were really specific rules.

sproutz

New

Postby sproutz » Sat Jul 07, 2018 10:51 pm

dabigchina wrote:Did anyone else find that the evidence questions were surprisingly hard? Going through them now and a bunch were really specific rules.

YES. Evidence is one of my strong subjects and I literally got 100% of the evidence questions on Practice Exam #2, but on the simulated, I did awful. Every evidence question on there was moderate to super hard.

jcwest

New

Postby jcwest » Sun Jul 08, 2018 2:53 am

Your scores are making me feel more guilty than I already was. 65% on the AM session and 59% on the PM session. Granted, I have not taken Practice Exam #2 yet and I could not sleep at all the night before (because I'm a nut - nervous about a practice exam) but.... definitely not feeling great.

I'm about to start studying 14 hours a day. Literally. Any suggestions?

stressfulsusy

New

Postby stressfulsusy » Sun Jul 08, 2018 3:58 am

1Abimrdjur3 wrote:I thought the second set of 100 was way harder than the first, and my percentage reflected it haha. Is there an idea on what should be auto pass for CA?

Agreed. 76% on the first set, 64% on the second set

lilkim12

New

Postby lilkim12 » Sun Jul 08, 2018 1:30 pm

Has anyone got anything significant out of these MBE videos for the practice exam? Or are these videos just a repeat of each question and answer explanation? Seems like a lot to watch, with minimal benefit.

dabigchina

Silver

Postby dabigchina » Sun Jul 08, 2018 1:42 pm

lilkim12 wrote:Has anyone got anything significant out of these MBE videos for the practice exam? Or are these videos just a repeat of each question and answer explanation? Seems like a lot to watch, with minimal benefit.

I watched conlaw and half of contracts before I decided they were useless.

The only real benefit i can see is they force you to go through every question. If you have the discipline to make yourself do it on your own, I would skip them.

BlueLaw11

Bronze

Postby BlueLaw11 » Sun Jul 08, 2018 2:02 pm

Can someone elaborate on Question 26 from the Practice MBE: what constitutes a witness being "essential" to the presentation of a party's case (and therefore unable to be removed from the courtroom)? Sounds like a super "it could go either way" sort of issue, and therefore not really fair to test on a multiple choice question. I've watched several criminal trials and never seen an investigating officer permitted to watch other parties' testimony.

Also, hilarious how many times the MBE lecturer says "this is a very specific question that tests a very specific issue." Minimum competence my ass

dabigchina

Silver

Postby dabigchina » Sun Jul 08, 2018 2:07 pm

BlueLaw11 wrote:Can someone elaborate on Question 26 from the Practice MBE: what constitutes a witness being "essential" to the presentation of a party's case (and therefore unable to be removed from the courtroom)? Sounds like a super "it could go either way" sort of issue, and therefore not really fair to test on a multiple choice question. I've watched several criminal trials and never seen an investigating officer permitted to watch other parties' testimony.

Also, hilarious how many times the MBE lecturer says "this is a very specific question that tests a very specific issue." Minimum competence my ass

I felt like the questions tested fairly niche topics, but I also feel like the lecturer has a really broad definition of what constitutes a "specific, technical rule."

From my reading of the answer explanation and outline, it seems like the investigating officer is per se not excludable?

BlueLaw11

Bronze

Postby BlueLaw11 » Sun Jul 08, 2018 2:50 pm

dabigchina wrote:
BlueLaw11 wrote:Can someone elaborate on Question 26 from the Practice MBE: what constitutes a witness being "essential" to the presentation of a party's case (and therefore unable to be removed from the courtroom)? Sounds like a super "it could go either way" sort of issue, and therefore not really fair to test on a multiple choice question. I've watched several criminal trials and never seen an investigating officer permitted to watch other parties' testimony.

I felt like the questions tested fairly niche topics, but I also feel like the lecturer has a really broad definition of what constitutes a "specific, technical rule."

From my reading of the answer explanation and outline, it seems like the investigating officer is per se not excludable?

Yeah that's what I'm thinking, hopefully something like that doesn't come up on game day. Thanks!

2015_Splitter

New

Postby 2015_Splitter » Sun Jul 08, 2018 5:46 pm

Strange Question - if we're taking the exam on laptop - do we get hard copies of the MEE portion?

For some reason, ExamSoft takes forever to load up on my laptop. It took a good 5-6 minutes for the practice exam to load up after I put in the password. I'm worried that I'd lose valuable time during the exam.

I'm paranoid because my examsoft froze during the NYLE, and I had to call in their tech hotline for them to open up the exam for me. I obviously won't have the opportunity to call their tech on exam day, and if it does take forever for the practice exam to start, I at least want to get started with a hard copy.

smile0751

Bronze

Postby smile0751 » Sun Jul 08, 2018 7:55 pm

Just did Mixed Set 6. It's absolutely insane how many exceptions to the general rules there are. Even in this set this late in the game, at least 7 of the questions had brand new "gotcha" exceptions to general rules or brand new concepts. It's beyond frustrating!

deacon

New

Postby deacon » Sun Jul 08, 2018 9:08 pm

Is it just me or everyone feels like the mixed sets involving more and more exceptions. I was doing good before, but now there is a considerable decrease

midtrains

New

Postby midtrains » Sun Jul 08, 2018 9:56 pm

deacon wrote:Is it just me or everyone feels like the mixed sets involving more and more exceptions. I was doing good before, but now there is a considerable decrease

I think they're doing it on purpose, trying to sneak in a few extra things to catch us so we don't forget about them

Lawworld19

Bronze

Postby Lawworld19 » Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:01 pm

smile0751 wrote:Just did Mixed Set 6. It's absolutely insane how many exceptions to the general rules there are. Even in this set this late in the game, at least 7 of the questions had brand new "gotcha" exceptions to general rules or brand new concepts. It's beyond frustrating!

I got a 64% on question set 6. I am stuck in the low to mid 60's. I don't think I know enough of the nuances to really push higher.

LawIsLyfe33

New

Postby LawIsLyfe33 » Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:33 pm

deacon wrote:Is it just me or everyone feels like the mixed sets involving more and more exceptions. I was doing good before, but now there is a considerable decrease

Yeah, it's crazy. I have done good on all three practice exams (71%, 64% and 70.5% on the Simulated MBE), but I get anywhere from 56-66% on the last few mixed sets because of the ridiculous questions they are asking.

Omerta

Bronze

Postby Omerta » Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:09 am

ithrowds wrote:
Tala29 wrote:How is everyone prioritizing memorization at this point?

Its not too late - you have over two weeks still at this point. I know a lot of people that haven't even actively gotten into memorizing yet and are still doing lectures. Thats not to say you should put it off, you should probably start asap.

IMO, the lectures are a gigantic waste of time. The first bar I took, I just bought the books on Amazon, self-studied, and cleared the pass mark by like 20%. For the second, my firm covered the bar prep program of my choice, and I can now definitively say that, at least for me, the lectures do nothing.

What really helped me with memorization was condensing the subject outlines. So, today, I took the 83-page state CivPro outline and condensed it to 15 pages (mainly lists), did some other stuff for another subject, then hand-wrote out everything I could remember from the condensed outline. At least for me, doing that for the first bar (and hopefully the second) really helped me if I spaced out on something.

And, if it makes you feel better, I didn't start studying for the bar until Friday. Billed over 220 hours last month. The last two associates in my group who took a second bar studied somewhere between 2-3 weeks and both passed. It's totally doable--don't get freaked out by stupid exception to exception to exception questions.

Neilt001

Postby Neilt001 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:08 am

Transfer2016 wrote:77 in the AM, 76 in the PM. Felt terrible after both sessions.

You're safe if you're scoring in the mid-70s. No need to worry.

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum?