THEMIS JULY 2018 - DISCUSSION

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
juliejul

New
Posts: 11
Joined: Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:24 pm

Re: THEMIS JULY 2018 - DISCUSSION

Postby juliejul » Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:37 am

I wouldn't freak out too much on memorizing every element of every area of law. It's just not possible and you're going to drive yourself insane trying to do so and run out of time. I personally think it's far more more important to have a big picture understanding of the topics, so you can BS and cobble together an essay question if it comes up. If there's an area of law you're really struggling with, focus on making sure you have at least a broad understanding and can demonstrate that in an essay question. Remember - you can literally make up the law and still get a decent essay score, as long as you apply your (made up) law to the facts, and put together a cohesive and well-reasoned answer. Also FWIW, I didn't read any of the long outlines and I was fine.

One of the Feb '18 questions was on discovery sanctions, which I don't remember ever studying, and definitely wasn't on the outlines I'd created for myself. I made up rules that made sense, stated them with confidence, applied the law to the facts, and passed with a great score on the MEE.

User avatar
MGH1989

Bronze
Posts: 113
Joined: Sat Jul 25, 2009 4:59 pm

Re: THEMIS JULY 2018 - DISCUSSION

Postby MGH1989 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:20 pm

l18 wrote:
MGH1989 wrote:What is everyone doing to drill down on memorizing elements? That is where I am really falling short. Reading these big ass detailed outlines isn't doing anything for my overall retention.

Also to hell with these model essays. No way most of them were written under 30 minutes.

Agree with you on both...

I got the critical pass flash cards but haven't used them yet. My plan is to study one subject per night (after I do all the themis stuff during the day) over the four weeks before the exam to memorize those subjects.

I hate to be negative but the amount of memorization is really scary, doesn't matter how many people tell me it's possible haha. Hopefully, my plan works at least for the MBE portion. The essay portion is even scarier since I don't have a solid plan - don't have time to make flashcards myself.

As others have said, I think writing down the rules when doing MBE questions, especially for the ones you missed, is helpful for memory retention. Read the last couple of pages.

Currently, I am copying each answer for every MBE question into a word file (crazy, I know) and plan to hand write the rules later time permitting. Since I am behind the themis schedule copying them, for now, is much quicker.


This seems like good strategy. I agree about the essay portion being the scariest. I have found with the MBE practice questions that even if I am not 100% on a rule, or elements to a rule, I can at least navigate the question well enough to give myself a decent shot at getting it right because obviously the answer is right there in front of you. As for the essay portion, I feel like I am in the middle of the ocean with no paddle. I'm fairly confident in spotting the big issues, but I still find myself having to make sure I am correct on the rules and elements of things.

User avatar
MGH1989

Bronze
Posts: 113
Joined: Sat Jul 25, 2009 4:59 pm

Re: THEMIS JULY 2018 - DISCUSSION

Postby MGH1989 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:25 pm

juliejul wrote:I wouldn't freak out too much on memorizing every element of every area of law. It's just not possible and you're going to drive yourself insane trying to do so and run out of time. I personally think it's far more more important to have a big picture understanding of the topics, so you can BS and cobble together an essay question if it comes up. If there's an area of law you're really struggling with, focus on making sure you have at least a broad understanding and can demonstrate that in an essay question. Remember - you can literally make up the law and still get a decent essay score, as long as you apply your (made up) law to the facts, and put together a cohesive and well-reasoned answer. Also FWIW, I didn't read any of the long outlines and I was fine.

One of the Feb '18 questions was on discovery sanctions, which I don't remember ever studying, and definitely wasn't on the outlines I'd created for myself. I made up rules that made sense, stated them with confidence, applied the law to the facts, and passed with a great score on the MEE.


How did you go about deciding what was important to really lock down and memorize? I think Themis does a somewhat decent job of telling us what the bar examiners like to touch on, is it basically just that? Nevertheless, there is just a lot of minutia out there and I don't know what minutia is worth knowing and what minutia is just going to clog my brain and take up space for things that actually matter.

l18

New
Posts: 42
Joined: Mon Apr 27, 2015 3:41 pm

Re: THEMIS JULY 2018 - DISCUSSION

Postby l18 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:17 pm

MGH1989 wrote:
l18 wrote:
MGH1989 wrote:What is everyone doing to drill down on memorizing elements? That is where I am really falling short. Reading these big ass detailed outlines isn't doing anything for my overall retention.

Also to hell with these model essays. No way most of them were written under 30 minutes.

Agree with you on both...

I got the critical pass flash cards but haven't used them yet. My plan is to study one subject per night (after I do all the themis stuff during the day) over the four weeks before the exam to memorize those subjects.

I hate to be negative but the amount of memorization is really scary, doesn't matter how many people tell me it's possible haha. Hopefully, my plan works at least for the MBE portion. The essay portion is even scarier since I don't have a solid plan - don't have time to make flashcards myself.

As others have said, I think writing down the rules when doing MBE questions, especially for the ones you missed, is helpful for memory retention. Read the last couple of pages.

Currently, I am copying each answer for every MBE question into a word file (crazy, I know) and plan to hand write the rules later time permitting. Since I am behind the themis schedule copying them, for now, is much quicker.


This seems like good strategy. I agree about the essay portion being the scariest. I have found with the MBE practice questions that even if I am not 100% on a rule, or elements to a rule, I can at least navigate the question well enough to give myself a decent shot at getting it right because obviously the answer is right there in front of you. As for the essay portion, I feel like I am in the middle of the ocean with no paddle. I'm fairly confident in spotting the big issues, but I still find myself having to make sure I am correct on the rules and elements of things.


Explained my feelings about the essay exactly. If anyone has tips on this please share. Do some people just use the final review outlines to memorize?

LawIsLyfe33

New
Posts: 34
Joined: Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:10 am

Re: THEMIS JULY 2018 - DISCUSSION

Postby LawIsLyfe33 » Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:43 am

Couldn't agree more about the essays. I wasn't feel too bad about them until my grader destroyed my essay because I didn't have the elements perfectly.

rastajacob

New
Posts: 23
Joined: Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:17 pm

Re: THEMIS JULY 2018 - DISCUSSION

Postby rastajacob » Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:42 am

This has probably already been mentioned, but this Evidence lecture is awful and all over the place. What were they (Themis) thinking letting him ad-lib this outline the whole time...It is ridiculous...

Transfer2016

New
Posts: 55
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2016 10:20 pm

Re: THEMIS JULY 2018 - DISCUSSION

Postby Transfer2016 » Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:13 pm

rastajacob wrote:This has probably already been mentioned, but this Evidence lecture is awful and all over the place. What were they (Themis) thinking letting him ad-lib this outline the whole time...It is ridiculous...


Couldn’t agree more. They sent me a filled in pdf, but not having taken evidence in law school, this is not easy to learn on my own. Can’t believe they hired this guy. Everyone else has been pretty good in my opinion.

User avatar
Neilt001

Moderator
Posts: 256
Joined: Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:35 pm

Re: THEMIS JULY 2018 - DISCUSSION

Postby Neilt001 » Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:18 pm

l18 wrote:
MGH1989 wrote:
l18 wrote:
Currently, I am copying each answer for every MBE question into a word file (crazy, I know) and plan to hand write the rules later time permitting. Since I am behind the themis schedule copying them, for now, is much quicker.


This seems like good strategy. I agree about the essay portion being the scariest. I have found with the MBE practice questions that even if I am not 100% on a rule, or elements to a rule, I can at least navigate the question well enough to give myself a decent shot at getting it right because obviously the answer is right there in front of you. As for the essay portion, I feel like I am in the middle of the ocean with no paddle. I'm fairly confident in spotting the big issues, but I still find myself having to make sure I am correct on the rules and elements of things.


Explained my feelings about the essay exactly. If anyone has tips on this please share. Do some people just use the final review outlines to memorize?


Guys, don't waste your time with the review outlines. They're too long, too detailed and not meant for memorizing. They're just a repository of information and should not (at least in my opinion) by used for memorization work. Refer to them if you must but that's the extent of it. I never read them and just made my own notes from the lectures.

With regards to the essays, my method was this:

- First, I would often not write them, unless they're graded. This is because it was often a waste of time, or sometimes I had no idea what the answer was, or sometimes I already knew the answer so why bother write it out. Sometimes I would just issue spot and sometimes I would do a bullet-point answer. Usually I would just type in a random letter so Themis would allow me to move on.

- Second, I would then copy the model answer into a word doc. I would delete most of the fact-specific stuff (except sometimes I would leave in the parts that show how a particular rule is applied, if it's a complex matter). I would bold important parts. You're then left with Themis' statement of the rule, which is succinct and perfect. If you can memorize that, you're golden on the exam. Do whatever you need to do to memorize the model answers.

- Third, I would print out those modified model answers, then proceed to highlight, underline and mark them up. I would insert them into my notes, and by the end of my studying I had a full repertoire of model answers. And I know there's a LOT, but trust me, by the end you'll have them memorized because you'll go through them so many damn times.

So yeah, if you already know how to IRAC and issue spot, there's little point in slaving away writing down full essays. Your time is better spent elsewhere. Just ensure that you LEARN the model answers, because they are pure gold and give you more than enough to pass the MEE. Even if you don't remember the full Themis answer, you'll still pass because there's more than enough in those answers to pass the MEE.

Don't bother with those huge review outlines. I've posted many times on the virtues of making one's own notes (using lists, boxes, arrows, colors, etc). I think I looked at those review outlines maybe like twice ever, and that was just to find something very specific. They're simply far too long to be of any use, and it's not easy to memorize from those long chunks of text. My own handwritten notes, supplemented with the model MEE answers along with LOTS of MBE practice is what got me a great result on the bar. I recently had a bonfire on the beach and burned all my Themis books, which I mostly didn't even crack open. Felt amazing.

This approach isn't for everyone, but worked wonders for me and without as much effort as you may think. it's about studying smart, not doing useless busy work, and really focusing on memorizing those model answers and doing like 2500 MBE PQs.

It's not as impossible as you may think. Just make good notes now, and worry about memorizing later.

rastajacob

New
Posts: 23
Joined: Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:17 pm

Re: THEMIS JULY 2018 - DISCUSSION

Postby rastajacob » Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:30 pm

Transfer2016 wrote:
rastajacob wrote:This has probably already been mentioned, but this Evidence lecture is awful and all over the place. What were they (Themis) thinking letting him ad-lib this outline the whole time...It is ridiculous...


Couldn’t agree more. They sent me a filled in pdf, but not having taken evidence in law school, this is not easy to learn on my own. Can’t believe they hired this guy. Everyone else has been pretty good in my opinion.


I know right? LUCKILY for me I have taken Evidence in law school (not that it matters as far as the bar exam is concerned), but I will charge along i suppose...what I don't understand, I will shore up with Critical Pass (may try to track down a copy of the Schott outline).

rastajacob

New
Posts: 23
Joined: Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:17 pm

Re: THEMIS JULY 2018 - DISCUSSION

Postby rastajacob » Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:50 pm

I know this may not be a popular strategy, but are any of you trying to get a few subjects in (Lecture, reading the outline and MBE PQ's) before doing any of the graded essays? For me, i don't know if it is worth sending in a graded essay and getting crushed on it if I haven't even memorized the rule statements and put them into my own words yet? I don't, what do you say?

User avatar
BlueLaw11

Bronze
Posts: 137
Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2015 4:14 am

Re: THEMIS JULY 2018 - DISCUSSION

Postby BlueLaw11 » Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:54 pm

rastajacob wrote:I know this may not be a popular strategy, but are any of you trying to get a few subjects in (Lecture, reading the outline and MBE PQ's) before doing any of the graded essays? For me, i don't know if it is worth sending in a graded essay and getting crushed on it if I haven't even memorized the rule statements and put them into my own words yet? I don't, what do you say?


That's been my strategy. Doing a graded essay without having had time to even learn the law is a waste of time imo

rastajacob

New
Posts: 23
Joined: Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:17 pm

Re: THEMIS JULY 2018 - DISCUSSION

Postby rastajacob » Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:01 pm

studying4bar wrote:
Auxilio wrote:
rastajacob wrote:Law students studying for the Bar are an unrealistic bunch, LOL. Trust me, the MAJORITY of us are not going to be hitting the target percentages for MBE questions yet, WE DON"T KNOW enough of the Law yet, not to mention, Themis throws out a LOT of curve ball questions just so that you don't forget the "nuanced" areas of the subject you are drilling. Take a look at OFFICIALLY Licensed NCBE questions; they aren't as nuanced. Right now, on June 12 (the date of this post) we are where we are SUPPOSED to be...We will start to nail these questions that give us problems through study and repetition. I am using Themis, S&T and Critical Pass. That is MORE than enough (I would assume), and we just have to TRUST the crap process and not freak out if we do GREAT on one MBE PQ and Crap on the following one. In comparing Themis's questions with NCBE officially licensed questions, I find that I CRUSH the NCBE questions but struggle with the Themis ones. Trust me, they are doing this to force us to study more and not overlook the nuanced areas (BY CHANCE that they may throw a question like it on the REAL THING !!). I Have kicked around paying for Adaptibar (Love that program, used a friend of mines when he was studying for the February Bar) and it is GREAT, but I dunno if I want to drop that extra cash down right now with all of the Themis and Emmanuel's questions I have right now. My suggestion....CHILL, absorb the information, trust yourself and be diligent. We will get through this....Rant OVER !! Cheers mates !!


I agree with your general sentiment but is "chill and trust the process" really in line with "I am using Themis, S&T, and Critical Pass" and considering getting a fourth tool.

Part of the anxiety probably comes from people (myself included) who are only using Themis and considering getting another tool.


So I think the...rant could have been phrased better and makes a lot of statements that sound conclusory and it's a bit long of a manifesto that overgeneralizes us examinees as a group.

However I find both of your points a bit out of line. I have given advice on things I know that are concrete, direct personal knowledge, and some things regarding my state's component because I already took and passed it but- and correct me if I am wrong- it sounds as though both of you are examinees.

I dont think there is anything wrong with supplements OR with doing "just" a program - it has been said here and in lectures that everyone studies and or learns differently. So my non justiciable advisory opinion is to stop giving each other or additional examinees advice until such a time as you take and pass the exam.

Finally, I have seen and heard of people trying to overprepare and purchase too many supplements which overloads them, and I have heard of people getting none or just one to ease anxiety and aid in understanding. Do what you think and feel is best for you. This isn't an exam on methodologies for studying for exams and the focus for all of us should be passing, right?


My apologies and no disrespect from my previous post. I was just trying to help out some of the posters I saw that were upset about their personal percentage points not going up in MBE PQ's. I apologize if my statements seemed out of line. That is AWFUL what happened to you concerning what is fast becoming the Evidence Lecture Fiasco...LOL, this "ad-libbing" and not following the fill in the blank is UNREAL...Makes me appreciate Kramer now; his jokes started to grate on me, BUT at least he followed his outline VERBATIM, LOL.

rastajacob

New
Posts: 23
Joined: Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:17 pm

Re: THEMIS JULY 2018 - DISCUSSION

Postby rastajacob » Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:06 pm

BlueLaw11 wrote:
rastajacob wrote:I know this may not be a popular strategy, but are any of you trying to get a few subjects in (Lecture, reading the outline and MBE PQ's) before doing any of the graded essays? For me, i don't know if it is worth sending in a graded essay and getting crushed on it if I haven't even memorized the rule statements and put them into my own words yet? I don't, what do you say?


That's been my strategy. Doing a graded essay without having had time to even learn the law is a waste of time imo


Thank goodness for that. I just started to get irritated because there is a lot of material to get through and it seems like a new graded essay pops up every 5-6 days. I have been working through the practice ones first to get a feel, then plan on sending in a graded one once I feel that I won't sound like a complete dumb ass.., LOL. I want to send in my best work for an ACTUAL evaluation, not some hodge podge, half butt essay that I KNOW will be destroyed and leave me feeling demoralized, LOL.

User avatar
BlueLaw11

Bronze
Posts: 137
Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2015 4:14 am

Re: THEMIS JULY 2018 - DISCUSSION

Postby BlueLaw11 » Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:23 pm

rastajacob wrote:
BlueLaw11 wrote:
rastajacob wrote:I know this may not be a popular strategy, but are any of you trying to get a few subjects in (Lecture, reading the outline and MBE PQ's) before doing any of the graded essays? For me, i don't know if it is worth sending in a graded essay and getting crushed on it if I haven't even memorized the rule statements and put them into my own words yet? I don't, what do you say?


That's been my strategy. Doing a graded essay without having had time to even learn the law is a waste of time imo


Thank goodness for that. I just started to get irritated because there is a lot of material to get through and it seems like a new graded essay pops up every 5-6 days. I have been working through the practice ones first to get a feel, then plan on sending in a graded one once I feel that I won't sound like a complete dumb ass.., LOL. I want to send in my best work for an ACTUAL evaluation, not some hodge podge, half butt essay that I KNOW will be destroyed and leave me feeling demoralized, LOL.


Totally get that! In the same boat here. This forum is great cause it reminds me others are going through the same struggles

Also, the CA Evidence lecturer is fantastic. Themis should consider hiring her for the MBE lecturers

rastajacob

New
Posts: 23
Joined: Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:17 pm

Re: THEMIS JULY 2018 - DISCUSSION

Postby rastajacob » Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:46 pm

Neilt001 wrote:
l18 wrote:
MGH1989 wrote:
l18 wrote:
Currently, I am copying each answer for every MBE question into a word file (crazy, I know) and plan to hand write the rules later time permitting. Since I am behind the themis schedule copying them, for now, is much quicker.


This seems like good strategy. I agree about the essay portion being the scariest. I have found with the MBE practice questions that even if I am not 100% on a rule, or elements to a rule, I can at least navigate the question well enough to give myself a decent shot at getting it right because obviously the answer is right there in front of you. As for the essay portion, I feel like I am in the middle of the ocean with no paddle. I'm fairly confident in spotting the big issues, but I still find myself having to make sure I am correct on the rules and elements of things.


Explained my feelings about the essay exactly. If anyone has tips on this please share. Do some people just use the final review outlines to memorize?


Guys, don't waste your time with the review outlines. They're too long, too detailed and not meant for memorizing. They're just a repository of information and should not (at least in my opinion) by used for memorization work. Refer to them if you must but that's the extent of it. I never read them and just made my own notes from the lectures.

With regards to the essays, my method was this:

- First, I would often not write them, unless they're graded. This is because it was often a waste of time, or sometimes I had no idea what the answer was, or sometimes I already knew the answer so why bother write it out. Sometimes I would just issue spot and sometimes I would do a bullet-point answer. Usually I would just type in a random letter so Themis would allow me to move on.

- Second, I would then copy the model answer into a word doc. I would delete most of the fact-specific stuff (except sometimes I would leave in the parts that show how a particular rule is applied, if it's a complex matter). I would bold important parts. You're then left with Themis' statement of the rule, which is succinct and perfect. If you can memorize that, you're golden on the exam. Do whatever you need to do to memorize the model answers.

- Third, I would print out those modified model answers, then proceed to highlight, underline and mark them up. I would insert them into my notes, and by the end of my studying I had a full repertoire of model answers. And I know there's a LOT, but trust me, by the end you'll have them memorized because you'll go through them so many damn times.

So yeah, if you already know how to IRAC and issue spot, there's little point in slaving away writing down full essays. Your time is better spent elsewhere. Just ensure that you LEARN the model answers, because they are pure gold and give you more than enough to pass the MEE. Even if you don't remember the full Themis answer, you'll still pass because there's more than enough in those answers to pass the MEE.

Don't bother with those huge review outlines. I've posted many times on the virtues of making one's own notes (using lists, boxes, arrows, colors, etc). I think I looked at those review outlines maybe like twice ever, and that was just to find something very specific. They're simply far too long to be of any use, and it's not easy to memorize from those long chunks of text. My own handwritten notes, supplemented with the model MEE answers along with LOTS of MBE practice is what got me a great result on the bar. I recently had a bonfire on the beach and burned all my Themis books, which I mostly didn't even crack open. Felt amazing.

This approach isn't for everyone, but worked wonders for me and without as much effort as you may think. it's about studying smart, not doing useless busy work, and really focusing on memorizing those model answers and doing like 2500 MBE PQs.

It's not as impossible as you may think. Just make good notes now, and worry about memorizing later.


THIS ESSAY STRATEGY is one of the best I have seen in a long time...I am learning more by applying your method than I was trying to slave through it on my own. I thank you kindly for your knowledge ! This is Golden...

l18

New
Posts: 42
Joined: Mon Apr 27, 2015 3:41 pm

Re: THEMIS JULY 2018 - DISCUSSION

Postby l18 » Fri Jun 15, 2018 3:54 pm

Neilt001 wrote:
l18 wrote:
MGH1989 wrote:
l18 wrote:
Currently, I am copying each answer for every MBE question into a word file (crazy, I know) and plan to hand write the rules later time permitting. Since I am behind the themis schedule copying them, for now, is much quicker.


This seems like good strategy. I agree about the essay portion being the scariest. I have found with the MBE practice questions that even if I am not 100% on a rule, or elements to a rule, I can at least navigate the question well enough to give myself a decent shot at getting it right because obviously the answer is right there in front of you. As for the essay portion, I feel like I am in the middle of the ocean with no paddle. I'm fairly confident in spotting the big issues, but I still find myself having to make sure I am correct on the rules and elements of things.


Explained my feelings about the essay exactly. If anyone has tips on this please share. Do some people just use the final review outlines to memorize?


Guys, don't waste your time with the review outlines. They're too long, too detailed and not meant for memorizing. They're just a repository of information and should not (at least in my opinion) by used for memorization work. Refer to them if you must but that's the extent of it. I never read them and just made my own notes from the lectures.

With regards to the essays, my method was this:

- First, I would often not write them, unless they're graded. This is because it was often a waste of time, or sometimes I had no idea what the answer was, or sometimes I already knew the answer so why bother write it out. Sometimes I would just issue spot and sometimes I would do a bullet-point answer. Usually I would just type in a random letter so Themis would allow me to move on.

- Second, I would then copy the model answer into a word doc. I would delete most of the fact-specific stuff (except sometimes I would leave in the parts that show how a particular rule is applied, if it's a complex matter). I would bold important parts. You're then left with Themis' statement of the rule, which is succinct and perfect. If you can memorize that, you're golden on the exam. Do whatever you need to do to memorize the model answers.

- Third, I would print out those modified model answers, then proceed to highlight, underline and mark them up. I would insert them into my notes, and by the end of my studying I had a full repertoire of model answers. And I know there's a LOT, but trust me, by the end you'll have them memorized because you'll go through them so many damn times.

So yeah, if you already know how to IRAC and issue spot, there's little point in slaving away writing down full essays. Your time is better spent elsewhere. Just ensure that you LEARN the model answers, because they are pure gold and give you more than enough to pass the MEE. Even if you don't remember the full Themis answer, you'll still pass because there's more than enough in those answers to pass the MEE.

Don't bother with those huge review outlines. I've posted many times on the virtues of making one's own notes (using lists, boxes, arrows, colors, etc). I think I looked at those review outlines maybe like twice ever, and that was just to find something very specific. They're simply far too long to be of any use, and it's not easy to memorize from those long chunks of text. My own handwritten notes, supplemented with the model MEE answers along with LOTS of MBE practice is what got me a great result on the bar. I recently had a bonfire on the beach and burned all my Themis books, which I mostly didn't even crack open. Felt amazing.

This approach isn't for everyone, but worked wonders for me and without as much effort as you may think. it's about studying smart, not doing useless busy work, and really focusing on memorizing those model answers and doing like 2500 MBE PQs.

It's not as impossible as you may think. Just make good notes now, and worry about memorizing later.


Thank you for this, very helpful!! This meshes with my learning style and kind of what I was doing already so good to hear that it works.

ubebarstudying

Bronze
Posts: 104
Joined: Tue Jun 06, 2017 1:16 pm

Re: THEMIS JULY 2018 - DISCUSSION

Postby ubebarstudying » Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:31 pm

Somewhat off topic, but upon receiving a few requests, I published some tips/examples of mnemonics/analogies/acronyms etc. here: https://blockbusterblawg.com/2018/06/16 ... -examples/ and if you find them helpful or have any requests topic wise, I think I have a document somewhere with all the ones I used/created. If I can't find the doc, they're definitely in my hard copy binder.

dabigchina

Silver
Posts: 1428
Joined: Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:22 am

Re: THEMIS JULY 2018 - DISCUSSION

Postby dabigchina » Sat Jun 16, 2018 4:11 pm

For people who are taking the California Bar: wtf is our autopass MBE threshold? Should we be aiming for 77% raw? 80%? 88%?

sproutz

New
Posts: 17
Joined: Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:09 pm

Re: THEMIS JULY 2018 - DISCUSSION

Postby sproutz » Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:57 pm

Fun facts about Lisa Tucker who teaches the MBE Workshops: She once sent her entire class porn in an email about their writing assignments. And she was on Who Wants to be a Millionaire.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/usvsth3m/prof- ... ts-5471719

Lawworld19

Bronze
Posts: 273
Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2016 9:16 pm

Re: THEMIS JULY 2018 - DISCUSSION

Postby Lawworld19 » Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:09 pm

dabigchina wrote:For people who are taking the California Bar: wtf is our autopass MBE threshold? Should we be aiming for 77% raw? 80%? 88%?



Lol if it was 88%, I think you would be one of the smartest people taking the MBE

dabigchina

Silver
Posts: 1428
Joined: Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:22 am

Re: THEMIS JULY 2018 - DISCUSSION

Postby dabigchina » Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:14 pm

Lawworld19 wrote:
dabigchina wrote:For people who are taking the California Bar: wtf is our autopass MBE threshold? Should we be aiming for 77% raw? 80%? 88%?



Lol if it was 88%, I think you would be one of the smartest people taking the MBE

Knowing CA, It wouldnt surprise me in the least if they set the autopass score that high.

l18

New
Posts: 42
Joined: Mon Apr 27, 2015 3:41 pm

Re: THEMIS JULY 2018 - DISCUSSION

Postby l18 » Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:45 pm

dabigchina wrote:For people who are taking the California Bar: wtf is our autopass MBE threshold? Should we be aiming for 77% raw? 80%? 88%?


67.5% according to this link: https://one-timers.com/one-timers-bar-exam-calculator/

Also has a calculator that I spend way too much time playing around with. A 65/100 for each essay and the PT, plus an MBE raw score of 119/175 equals a total score of 1450, just above passing. Getting more right on the MBE has a huge effect on passing. Getting 10 more right (raw score of 129) and you can score 60 for each and PT and still pass.

sproutz wrote:Fun facts about Lisa Tucker who teaches the MBE Workshops: She once sent her entire class porn in an email about their writing assignments. And she was on Who Wants to be a Millionaire.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/usvsth3m/prof- ... ts-5471719


Wha the...

Also, common sense on that last millionaire question easily knocks out the answer she chose. There would've been the biggest uproar if that were the case. I've lost all faith in her videos now haha

dabigchina wrote:Knowing CA, It wouldnt surprise me in the least if they set the autopass score that high.


Pretty much. With a score above 85% you can score 50 on the essays and PT and still pass.
Last edited by l18 on Sat Jun 16, 2018 11:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

MRSP

New
Posts: 81
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2015 10:41 pm

Re: THEMIS JULY 2018 - DISCUSSION

Postby MRSP » Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:51 pm

Checking in...where is everyone at progress wise (percentage and what subject you are on) and how are your percentages looking on your PQs? Anyone else doing flex mode with a heavier focus on MBE tasks right now?

dabigchina

Silver
Posts: 1428
Joined: Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:22 am

Re: THEMIS JULY 2018 - DISCUSSION

Postby dabigchina » Sun Jun 17, 2018 1:11 am

l18 wrote:
dabigchina wrote:For people who are taking the California Bar: wtf is our autopass MBE threshold? Should we be aiming for 77% raw? 80%? 88%?


67.5% according to this link: https://one-timers.com/one-timers-bar-exam-calculator/


dabigchina wrote:Knowing CA, It wouldnt surprise me in the least if they set the autopass score that high.


Pretty much. With a score above 85% you can score 50 on the essays and PT and still pass.

That link has MBEs out of 200, not 175. 117/200 = 58%. That calculator is confusing AF.

Also: does anyone find CPT/MPT difficult? everyone says it's easy but I'm having problems with time.

l18

New
Posts: 42
Joined: Mon Apr 27, 2015 3:41 pm

Re: THEMIS JULY 2018 - DISCUSSION

Postby l18 » Sun Jun 17, 2018 1:27 am

dabigchina wrote:
l18 wrote:
dabigchina wrote:For people who are taking the California Bar: wtf is our autopass MBE threshold? Should we be aiming for 77% raw? 80%? 88%?


67.5% according to this link: https://one-timers.com/one-timers-bar-exam-calculator/


dabigchina wrote:Knowing CA, It wouldnt surprise me in the least if they set the autopass score that high.


Pretty much. With a score above 85% you can score 50 on the essays and PT and still pass.

That link has MBEs out of 200, not 175. 117/200 = 58%. That calculator is confusing AF.

Also: does anyone find CPT/MPT difficult? everyone says it's easy but I'm having problems with time.


I assumed it calculates it out of 175, but maybe that's not right. Yeah, a bit confusing.

If you have problems with time I think you have to do timed exams and see where you are slower than you should be.



Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum?

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: orchid_law, wuwu12 and 24 guests