THEMIS JULY 2018 - DISCUSSION Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
BlueLaw11

Bronze

Re: THEMIS JULY 2018 - DISCUSSION

Post by BlueLaw11 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:02 pm

Auxilio wrote:I finished evidence yesterday and actually didn't think the lecturer was that bad. I do listen on 2x speed and ignore the handout though, so maybe the problem is mostly just with people finding the handout useless?

Did the first two sets and got 70/86% (probably my highest first two for a subject yet) so *shrug*.

The communal property guy is who deserves all our scorn so far in my opinion.
Agreed, I've never felt so uncomfortable watching a video lecture in my life. That guy was creepy AF

BlueLaw11

Bronze

Post by BlueLaw11 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:05 pm

Would appreciate some help on this question:

"Public schools within a state are managed by local school boards, which have the authority to impose taxes on real property owners within a school district. The members of each local school board are elected, and eligible voters for each local school board election consist of the owners of real property within the county.

Of the following, which is the most likely constitutional basis on which this method of electing the local school board can be challenged?"

The answer is the Equal Protection Clause, but why wouldn't it be the Due Process Clause? The right to vote is a fundamental right, and isn't a deprivation of that right a valid basis for bringing a Substantive Due Process claim? In disagreeing, the answer explanation only talks about Procedural Due Process.

Thanks!

dabigchina

Gold

Post by dabigchina » Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:10 pm

Auxilio wrote:I finished evidence yesterday and actually didn't think the lecturer was that bad. I do listen on 2x speed and ignore the handout though, so maybe the problem is mostly just with people finding the handout useless?

Did the first two sets and got 70/86% (probably my highest first two for a subject yet) so *shrug*.

Did you take evidence in law school?

Auxilio

Silver

Post by Auxilio » Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:28 pm

dabigchina wrote:

I did, but it omitted tons of the topics and was by far my worst grade in law school, so I'm not sure how much it helped.

dabigchina

Gold

Post by dabigchina » Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:52 pm

Auxilio wrote:
dabigchina wrote:

I did, but it omitted tons of the topics and was by far my worst grade in law school, so I'm not sure how much it helped.
I personally didnt take evidence and struggled with it. I think not having taken it makes it really hard to see the big picture. Elward doesnt make it easy because half of his lecture is random stories.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Dumplingdude42

New

Post by Dumplingdude42 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:23 pm

BlueLaw11 wrote:Would appreciate some help on this question:

"Public schools within a state are managed by local school boards, which have the authority to impose taxes on real property owners within a school district. The members of each local school board are elected, and eligible voters for each local school board election consist of the owners of real property within the county.

Of the following, which is the most likely constitutional basis on which this method of electing the local school board can be challenged?"

The answer is the Equal Protection Clause, but why wouldn't it be the Due Process Clause? The right to vote is a fundamental right, and isn't a deprivation of that right a valid basis for bringing a Substantive Due Process claim? In disagreeing, the answer explanation only talks about Procedural Due Process.

Thanks!
I think the constitutional issue is the eligibility of the voters. In the question, the state is depriving the right to vote in the school board elections and giving that right only to real property owners. Since the fundamental right to vote is being given to some but not others (i.e. residents of age who just may not own real property in the district) in an election of what appears to be a governmental body, there is an Equal Protection issue.

I think this question is loosely modeled off of the Kramer case.

dabigchina

Gold

Post by dabigchina » Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:30 pm

Are the substantive law questions answered by barred attorneys? I'm getting the most terrible answers to one of my questions.

ithrowds

Bronze

Post by ithrowds » Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:14 pm

Holy shit I've been getting wrecked on these last couple ConLaw question sets :(

2015_Splitter

New

Post by 2015_Splitter » Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:00 pm

Dumplingdude42 wrote:
BlueLaw11 wrote:Would appreciate some help on this question:

Thanks!
I think the constitutional issue is the eligibility of the voters. In the question, the state is depriving the right to vote in the school board elections and giving that right only to real property owners. Since the fundamental right to vote is being given to some but not others (i.e. residents of age who just may not own real property in the district) in an election of what appears to be a governmental body, there is an Equal Protection issue.

I think this question is loosely modeled off of the Kramer case.
Adding to this - I've noticed that when the Bar is asking about the Constitutional Rights of an individual - it's due process. When they're asking about the rights of a group or class of people (ie homeowners vs. non-homeowners) - it's Equal Protection Clause.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

deacon

New

Post by deacon » Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:33 pm

I honestly found Elward very good. Yes, he sometimes misses the outline, but those stories helped me to understand the subject. Civ. pro was a disaster, because it was all about the rules, without examples (maybe because of the nature of the subject, not sure). But haven't taken evidence before and now it is one of my best subjects. I guess I am learning better with examples instead of pure rules

Findedeux

Bronze

Post by Findedeux » Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:41 pm

Evidence is all just pure rules.

It requires a lot of rote memorization but if you can remember it all it's probably the most mechanical to apply.

Auxilio

Silver

Post by Auxilio » Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:07 pm

deacon wrote:I honestly found Elward very good. Yes, he sometimes misses the outline, but those stories helped me to understand the subject. Civ. pro was a disaster, because it was all about the rules, without examples (maybe because of the nature of the subject, not sure). But haven't taken evidence before and now it is one of my best subjects. I guess I am learning better with examples instead of pure rules

Yeah, Evidence was much better than Civ Pro in my experience. I'm sure if I used the lecture handout much I'd find it more annoying though.

FuturePanhandler

Silver

Post by FuturePanhandler » Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:54 pm

I am also finding the evidence lectures to be helpful. I actually find it reassuring that the professor is elaborating more and not just reading the handout like some others. Gives me more confidence that he knows what he's talking about (as does the fact that he's still practicing). I think some point are just more concerned about looking for the blanks and the perfect wording surrounding them than they are absorbing the material. Complaining about examples when it comes to evidence is befuddling.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

ithrowds

Bronze

Post by ithrowds » Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:03 am

FuturePanhandler wrote:I am also finding the evidence lectures to be helpful. I actually find it reassuring that the professor is elaborating more and not just reading the handout like some others. Gives me more confidence that he knows what he's talking about (as does the fact that he's still practicing). I think some point are just more concerned about looking for the blanks and the perfect wording surrounding them than they are absorbing the material. Complaining about examples when it comes to evidence is befuddling.
I don't mind the guy so much as he is TERRIBLE at sticking to the lecture handout.

dabigchina

Gold

Post by dabigchina » Sat Jun 23, 2018 1:52 am

FuturePanhandler wrote:I am also finding the evidence lectures to be helpful. I actually find it reassuring that the professor is elaborating more and not just reading the handout like some others. Gives me more confidence that he knows what he's talking about (as does the fact that he's still practicing). I think some point are just more concerned about looking for the blanks and the perfect wording surrounding them than they are absorbing the material. Complaining about examples when it comes to evidence is befuddling.
Its not really about how the lectures make you "feel". It's about how effective they are at conveying information. I personally found that Elward's lectures were ineffective at conveying information because his lectures were unnecessarily long and rambling.

Not to mention all of his examples are skewed towards the criminal law, which means he doesn't give adequate time to civil case rules.

lilkim12

New

Post by lilkim12 » Sat Jun 23, 2018 4:40 pm

dabigchina wrote:
Its not really about how the lectures make you "feel". It's about how effective they are at conveying information. I personally found that Elward's lectures were ineffective at conveying information because his lectures were unnecessarily long and rambling.

Not to mention all of his examples are skewed towards the criminal law, which means he doesn't give adequate time to civil case rules.

But you also just stated how the lectures made you "feel?"

dabigchina

Gold

Post by dabigchina » Sat Jun 23, 2018 4:46 pm

lilkim12 wrote:
dabigchina wrote:

There's a difference between "the lectures made me feel confident" and "the lecture was unnecessarily long".

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

FuturePanhandler

Silver

Post by FuturePanhandler » Sun Jun 24, 2018 3:40 pm

dabigchina wrote:
lilkim12 wrote:
dabigchina wrote:

There's a difference between "the lectures made me feel confident" and "the lecture was unnecessarily long".
I was just making the point that he clearly knows his stuff. If I weren't able to look the others up online and someone told me they just pull random people in to read the handouts, I would believe them because the majority of them do very little other than read the handout verbatim. Anyone can read the handout. People on here are acting like they need to get handouts from other lecturers because they're worried about this guy, but he's done way more to show he knows his stuff than any other lecturer.

I also I didn't find them rambly or long. If these are rambly and long, I can't imagine how you sat through law school.

dabigchina

Gold

Post by dabigchina » Sun Jun 24, 2018 3:54 pm

FuturePanhandler wrote:
dabigchina wrote:
lilkim12 wrote:
dabigchina wrote:

I was just making the point that he clearly knows his stuff. If I weren't able to look the others up online and someone told me they just pull random people in to read the handouts, I would believe them because the majority of them do very little other than read the handout verbatim. Anyone can read the handout. People on here are acting like they need to get handouts from other lecturers because they're worried about this guy, but he's done way more to show he knows his stuff than any other lecturer.

I also I didn't find them rambly or long. If these are rambly and long, I can't imagine how you sat through law school.
Your hostility is weird.

Nobody is claiming he doesn't "know his stuff." Given time constraints, he's ineffective as a lecturer because he unnecessarily takes way too much time and focuses excessively on criminal evidence rules.

Nobody is claiming law school lectures are not a waste of time. If these lecturers tried to teach their subjects like a law school doctrinal, we would get through 2 subjects before it was time to take the test.

smile0751

Bronze

Post by smile0751 » Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:48 pm

Well just took the second Practice Test. I got 67% right on PT 1, but only 58% right on PT 2. I feel like over the last week or two my performance has been declining, not improving. I feel really really frustrated!!

ithrowds

Bronze

Post by ithrowds » Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:56 pm

smile0751 wrote:Well just took the second Practice Test. I got 67% right on PT 1, but only 58% right on PT 2. I feel like over the last week or two my performance has been declining, not improving. I feel really really frustrated!!
Same - got 72% on PT 1 and about 60% on this one

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Tala29

New

Post by Tala29 » Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:59 pm

smile0751 wrote:Well just took the second Practice Test. I got 67% right on PT 1, but only 58% right on PT 2. I feel like over the last week or two my performance has been declining, not improving. I feel really really frustrated!!

I feel the same - definitely not improving. Pretty worried given we only have a month left...

RareExports

Silver

Post by RareExports » Mon Jun 25, 2018 2:14 pm

I'll try to alleviate some stress.

First, a month left is plenty of time. That's nearly half of the standard bar prep schedule still remaining.

Second, the average score on this practice test was roughly the same as the first practice test. It is normal not to improve on the second test.

Third, the subjects tested on the second practice test are different than those tested on the first practice test. To some extent it's an apples-to-oranges comparison.

LawIsLyfe33

New

Post by LawIsLyfe33 » Mon Jun 25, 2018 2:28 pm

RareExports wrote:I'll try to alleviate some stress.

First, a month left is plenty of time. That's nearly half of the standard bar prep schedule still remaining.

Second, the average score on this practice test was roughly the same as the first practice test. It is normal not to improve on the second test.

Third, the subjects tested on the second practice test are different than those tested on the first practice test. To some extent it's an apples-to-oranges comparison.
Agreed. I got 71% on the first exam and 64% on this one. I was actually very happy with the 64% considering I am very bad at Con Law and Civ Pro.

abogado2018

New

Post by abogado2018 » Mon Jun 25, 2018 3:17 pm

LawIsLyfe33 wrote:
RareExports wrote:I'll try to alleviate some stress.

Agreed. I got 71% on the first exam and 64% on this one. I was actually very happy with the 64% considering I am very bad at Con Law and Civ Pro.
58% here. These questions were noticeably harder than recent PQs and adaptibar Qs I've been doing.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”