THEMIS JULY 2018 - DISCUSSION

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
User avatar
TX_UH

Bronze
Posts: 171
Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:52 pm

Re: THEMIS JULY 2018 - DISCUSSION

Postby TX_UH » Fri May 11, 2018 6:38 pm

Checking in!

User avatar
BasilHallward

Silver
Posts: 547
Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2015 1:19 pm

Re: THEMIS JULY 2018 - DISCUSSION

Postby BasilHallward » Sat May 12, 2018 1:01 pm

TX_UH wrote:Checking in!


+1

Lawworld19

Bronze
Posts: 253
Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2016 9:16 pm

Re: THEMIS JULY 2018 - DISCUSSION

Postby Lawworld19 » Sat May 12, 2018 10:40 pm

I am at 24.6 Percent done. Start working Monday.

Taking Ohio.

Animal_Activist

New
Posts: 21
Joined: Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:52 pm

Re: THEMIS JULY 2018 - DISCUSSION

Postby Animal_Activist » Sun May 13, 2018 3:47 am

Studying for California bar. Also overwhelmed and worried that things won't click. I feel pretty slow in terms of spending time with essay sample answers and reviewing multiple choice answer explanations. It is tough to find the right balance between quantity and quality.

gladiator0flaw11

Bronze
Posts: 148
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2016 4:22 pm

Re: THEMIS JULY 2018 - DISCUSSION

Postby gladiator0flaw11 » Sun May 13, 2018 9:15 am

I am trying to move forward with my schedule but the Assessment I need to complete isn't available yet (until May 18th I believe, Contracts & Sales). I'd prefer to keep following the checklist and wait to complete things in order than skip this portion. Everyone that started doing the same?

Lawworld19

Bronze
Posts: 253
Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2016 9:16 pm

Re: THEMIS JULY 2018 - DISCUSSION

Postby Lawworld19 » Sun May 13, 2018 9:58 am

I agree with above poster.

Which has been harder than anticipated is the state distinctions. There are so many and with the MBE questions already being so ticky tacky, I am running together state and federal discrete rules.

Meggoca

New
Posts: 9
Joined: Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:41 am

Re: THEMIS JULY 2018 - DISCUSSION

Postby Meggoca » Sun May 13, 2018 9:30 pm

I used Themis for the Feb MA bar exam and I felt like I would never be able to assimilate all the info and felt like I just wasn’t getting it until about 3-4 weeks before the exam, when suddenly everything clicked. My MBE practice scores jumped about 10-15 points and things just started making sense. But not until after about 8 or 9 weeks of prep (I started 12 weeks out because I was working full time). You will get there - it may not feel like it, but if you work the program, you will get there.

User avatar
thisiswater

Silver
Posts: 1091
Joined: Wed May 05, 2010 1:51 am

Re: THEMIS JULY 2018 - DISCUSSION

Postby thisiswater » Sun May 13, 2018 11:50 pm

In Texas, I start tomorrow (or in one hour I guess. I should probably figure out a sleep schedule at some point).

User avatar
White Dwarf

Bronze
Posts: 343
Joined: Wed Mar 18, 2015 7:54 pm

Re: THEMIS JULY 2018 - DISCUSSION

Postby White Dwarf » Mon May 14, 2018 1:47 pm

In NY, officially starting Wednesday, but I have to move on Thursday, so thought I'd get a head start today.

The Contracts & Sales material seems pretty straightforward. It was my favorite 1L class though, so maybe I just retained it better.

Bender7

New
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2016 1:39 am

Re: THEMIS JULY 2018 - DISCUSSION

Postby Bender7 » Mon May 14, 2018 11:59 pm

Started today.

Anyone notice that the recommended schedule is different than the directed schedule that appears on the home page? Seems the latter is more accelerated than what is on the printable recommended schedule. For example, my assignments on the Themis home page are telling me to watch the all 7 videos and to read up to performance, whereas the printable schedule says these tasks are for Tuesday/Wednesday.

Pawprynt

New
Posts: 21
Joined: Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:53 pm

Re: THEMIS JULY 2018 - DISCUSSION

Postby Pawprynt » Tue May 15, 2018 12:21 am

I just started today for the Illinois bar. Didn’t get to all the assignments since I was exhausted from graduating and moving from out of state.

I like it so far (the intro videos were all I got). Hoping when I hit contracts tomorrow I’ll still feel the same way!

3Lolol26

New
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue May 15, 2018 1:52 am

Re: THEMIS JULY 2018 - DISCUSSION

Postby 3Lolol26 » Tue May 15, 2018 1:56 am

Checking in

User avatar
White Dwarf

Bronze
Posts: 343
Joined: Wed Mar 18, 2015 7:54 pm

Re: THEMIS JULY 2018 - DISCUSSION

Postby White Dwarf » Tue May 15, 2018 9:32 am

Bender7 wrote:Started today.

Anyone notice that the recommended schedule is different than the directed schedule that appears on the home page? Seems the latter is more accelerated than what is on the printable recommended schedule. For example, my assignments on the Themis home page are telling me to watch the all 7 videos and to read up to performance, whereas the printable schedule says these tasks are for Tuesday/Wednesday.

Check your selected start date under Settings. I had the same issue because I had chosen May 14th instead of the 16th. I changed it to the 16th and now everything matches up.

User avatar
Neilt001

Moderator
Posts: 245
Joined: Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:35 pm

Re: THEMIS JULY 2018 - DISCUSSION

Postby Neilt001 » Tue May 15, 2018 11:50 am

Bender7 wrote:Started today.

Anyone notice that the recommended schedule is different than the directed schedule that appears on the home page? Seems the latter is more accelerated than what is on the printable recommended schedule. For example, my assignments on the Themis home page are telling me to watch the all 7 videos and to read up to performance, whereas the printable schedule says these tasks are for Tuesday/Wednesday.


Yeah I wouldn't put too much stock in the printable schedule. The online schedule will constantly be updated according to your progress and, as the previous poster said, also takes into account your chosen start date. You should stick with the online schedule. The printable schedule would be right if your start date was as recommended and you never ever deviated from the plan, but what's the point? You're bound to deviate at least once, at which point the paper schedule is out of date.

Kaycoleman90

New
Posts: 9
Joined: Sat May 20, 2017 12:55 pm

Re: THEMIS JULY 2018 - DISCUSSION

Postby Kaycoleman90 » Tue May 15, 2018 2:56 pm

Pawprynt wrote:I just started today for the Illinois bar. Didn’t get to all the assignments since I was exhausted from graduating and moving from out of state.

I like it so far (the intro videos were all I got). Hoping when I hit contracts tomorrow I’ll still feel the same way!


Hi, i'm a repeat taker in IL using my old books and lecture handouts. Do you think you can email me a copy of study schedule they gave you? Not the one available online on the website but the detailed Recommended Study Schedule of the course? I feel like that'll help me stay on track more than making up my own schedule.

User avatar
Neilt001

Moderator
Posts: 245
Joined: Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:35 pm

Re: THEMIS JULY 2018 - DISCUSSION

Postby Neilt001 » Wed May 16, 2018 10:01 am

Kaycoleman90 wrote:
Pawprynt wrote:I just started today for the Illinois bar. Didn’t get to all the assignments since I was exhausted from graduating and moving from out of state.

I like it so far (the intro videos were all I got). Hoping when I hit contracts tomorrow I’ll still feel the same way!


Hi, i'm a repeat taker in IL using my old books and lecture handouts. Do you think you can email me a copy of study schedule they gave you? Not the one available online on the website but the detailed Recommended Study Schedule of the course? I feel like that'll help me stay on track more than making up my own schedule.


I'm sure you've already looked into this but Themis (like many review courses) gives free access if you didn't pass the first time. Have you looked into this?

Good luck!

jetsetter2000

New
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2015 11:59 pm

Re: THEMIS JULY 2018 - DISCUSSION

Postby jetsetter2000 » Wed May 16, 2018 10:53 am

Neilt001 wrote:
Tala29 wrote:

Thank you! This is really helpful!

Are the practice questions only the PQ sets that come after each subject or are there more questions by the end once I finish all subjects? Should I maybe buy Adaptibar questions to drill more questions toward the end (if I have time)?

You are right the outlines are actually really comprehensive. I don't feel I learn much by doing them though. Even though I think the lectures are a bit of a waste of time I do learn much more during those than by reading the large outlines which I skim very fast anyways. Did you use the lecture handout outline to review?


No worries!

So that type of practice question you're seeing at the end of each lecture (and then at the end of each the subject) isn't the real MBE exam questions. They're just easy questions which Themis says are designed to help with memory (apparently). You'll soon start doing the real MBE practice questions, which you'll see are longer and timed. These are the real MBE questions and many of them are actually official NCBE questions. From what I recall, you'll start those real questions pretty soon, and they will continue throughout the rest of the course. They start out being subject-specific (depending on what subjects you've completed), but by the time you're done all the subjects they become mixed. By the end of the course you will have done well over 2000 MBE practice questions (I did 2400), which is great practice. Take a look at your schedule over the coming weeks and I'm sure you'll see the MBE practice questions coming up pretty soon. So the answer is no, you won't be waiting until the end for the MBE practice questions.

I know some people got additional MBE questions from adaptibar etc. Personally I didn't find the need to do this because there's plenty of MBE questions on Themis (way more than you'll ever do), but some people found it helpful. What I did find helpful were flash cards so I could drill and memorize MBE subjects before bed or while travelling etc.

I agree with you about the outlines. I just skimmed them and probably didn't remember anything. That's why I preferred the lectures, making notes/outlines as I watched. I guess they offer both outlines AND lectures so you can choose which way you wanna learn. And nope, I didn't use the lecture handout outlines to review because I wanted to make my own notes using boxes and arrows and such (but I did use the lecture outlines to help with writing my own notes). So again, I think it's up to personal preference with all this stuff. I think Themis is pretty good at giving you the tools and it's up to you to decide how best you wanna learn the material.


Relieved I'm not the only one struggling to read through those outlines. Did you guys mark them as complete in your course progress? My guilt doesn't allow me to check this off.


Also: after being a member for years, this is my first post! :D

User avatar
Neilt001

Moderator
Posts: 245
Joined: Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:35 pm

Re: THEMIS JULY 2018 - DISCUSSION

Postby Neilt001 » Wed May 16, 2018 2:06 pm

jetsetter2000 wrote:
Relieved I'm not the only one struggling to read through those outlines. Did you guys mark them as complete in your course progress? My guilt doesn't allow me to check this off.


Also: after being a member for years, this is my first post! :D


Wow a member since 2015 and that was your first post. Congrats!

As for the outlines, yep I didn't read any of them and I did indeed mark them as completed (otherwise the system assumes you haven't done em and it'll keep assigning them to you!)

Personally, as I said above, I think you can get away without reading the outlines if you do the lectures (and you can probably get away without doing the lectures if you read the outlines!). But I don't think you need to do both. I think you can use the outlines if you need them, eg to supplement your understanding or your notes, and because they are slightly more in-depth than the lectures.

Do you make your own notes?

You may consider contacting your course coordinator person if you're concerned about your study approach?

Good luck!

User avatar
BasilHallward

Silver
Posts: 547
Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2015 1:19 pm

Re: THEMIS JULY 2018 - DISCUSSION

Postby BasilHallward » Wed May 16, 2018 9:07 pm

What and where are these "review questions" that are mentioned at the end of each lecture by the lecturer? These are not the assessments, right? I'm taking Texas.

MRSP

New
Posts: 81
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2015 10:41 pm

Re: THEMIS JULY 2018 - DISCUSSION

Postby MRSP » Wed May 16, 2018 10:30 pm

Hi guys, I just started Themis yesterday for the Hawai'i bar exam this July. Looking forward to checking in with everyone and sharing our experiences. Question- are any of you using another study aide or questions on the side to do more MBE practice, or more simulated MBE exams? Also, if you started yet, how is it going so far?

User avatar
thisyearsgirl

New
Posts: 22
Joined: Sun Apr 13, 2014 3:26 am

Re: THEMIS JULY 2018 - DISCUSSION

Postby thisyearsgirl » Thu May 17, 2018 1:15 am

Long time lurker, first time poster checking in!

MRSP

New
Posts: 81
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2015 10:41 pm

Re: THEMIS JULY 2018 - DISCUSSION

Postby MRSP » Thu May 17, 2018 2:29 am

thisyearsgirl wrote:Long time lurker, first time poster checking in!


What up girl lol! Did you start the program yet?

User avatar
thisyearsgirl

New
Posts: 22
Joined: Sun Apr 13, 2014 3:26 am

Re: THEMIS JULY 2018 - DISCUSSION

Postby thisyearsgirl » Thu May 17, 2018 11:47 am

MRSP wrote:
thisyearsgirl wrote:Long time lurker, first time poster checking in!


What up girl lol! Did you start the program yet?


Started yesterday! I'm envious of roommate (she's taking Barbri) because she doesn't have to start until next week haha.

Kaycoleman90

New
Posts: 9
Joined: Sat May 20, 2017 12:55 pm

Re: THEMIS JULY 2018 - DISCUSSION

Postby Kaycoleman90 » Thu May 17, 2018 1:57 pm

Neilt001 wrote:
Kaycoleman90 wrote:
Pawprynt wrote:I just started today for the Illinois bar. Didn’t get to all the assignments since I was exhausted from graduating and moving from out of state.

I like it so far (the intro videos were all I got). Hoping when I hit contracts tomorrow I’ll still feel the same way!


Hi, i'm a repeat taker in IL using my old books and lecture handouts. Do you think you can email me a copy of study schedule they gave you? Not the one available online on the website but the detailed Recommended Study Schedule of the course? I feel like that'll help me stay on track more than making up my own schedule.


I'm sure you've already looked into this but Themis (like many review courses) gives free access if you didn't pass the first time. Have you looked into this?

Good luck!


Thanks, but this isn't my first or second rodeo (lol) so the repeat course isn't an option for me. Anyone kind enough to share the more detailed schedule? Being able to follow along and check things off would help my anxiety.

User avatar
thisiswater

Silver
Posts: 1091
Joined: Wed May 05, 2010 1:51 am

Re: THEMIS JULY 2018 - DISCUSSION

Postby thisiswater » Thu May 17, 2018 2:15 pm

Kaycoleman90 wrote:
Neilt001 wrote:
Kaycoleman90 wrote:
Pawprynt wrote:I just started today for the Illinois bar. Didn’t get to all the assignments since I was exhausted from graduating and moving from out of state.

I like it so far (the intro videos were all I got). Hoping when I hit contracts tomorrow I’ll still feel the same way!


Hi, i'm a repeat taker in IL using my old books and lecture handouts. Do you think you can email me a copy of study schedule they gave you? Not the one available online on the website but the detailed Recommended Study Schedule of the course? I feel like that'll help me stay on track more than making up my own schedule.


I'm sure you've already looked into this but Themis (like many review courses) gives free access if you didn't pass the first time. Have you looked into this?

Good luck!


Thanks, but this isn't my first or second rodeo (lol) so the repeat course isn't an option for me. Anyone kind enough to share the more detailed schedule? Being able to follow along and check things off would help my anxiety.


i'm in the wrong state or i would be happy to. hopefully another IL taker helps out



Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum?

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 27 guests