THEMIS JULY 2018 - DISCUSSION Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
jcwest

New

Re: THEMIS JULY 2018 - DISCUSSION

Post by jcwest » Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:05 pm

Pawprynt wrote:
jcwest wrote:I too passed Illinois. We don't get scores but I did about 1800 Themis PQs.

126/200 on the midterm. 75/100 on the final. 70%-80% on the MBE PQs. Essay scores were 4/5s, but never a 6/6.
Congrats! I was so worried because I had such a harsh essay grader. I never got higher than a 3 on any graded essay and only a 4 on the graded MPT. I was pretty nervous. Pretty sure my MBE saved me, but so glad that it doesn't matter at all anymore!
Its a little annoying that we don't see our scores. What if I wanted to transfer? Very brutal.

Jdsquared87

New

Post by Jdsquared87 » Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:22 pm

yennem wrote:Didn’t get my scores today, but I failed... I didn’t use Themis, but I plan on using it for 2019. Any FL takers and information on how you did this past July? Recommendations?
I'm so sorry. I failed in February so I know the feeling. It gets easier as the weks go by...keep your head up, you got this!!! I'm still waiting for my results from july so I may be in this boat again very soon.

MRSP

New

Post by MRSP » Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:18 pm

I passed the Hawai'i bar exam guys! I got the notification but no scores yet. Thank you for your support it this group was amazing!

Lawworld19

Bronze

Post by Lawworld19 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:22 pm

MRSP wrote:I passed the Hawai'i bar exam guys! I got the notification but no scores yet. Thank you for your support it this group was amazing!
I'm elated for you!

Let's gooooo!

What was your Themis mixed sets/exam scores?

lawbug123

New

Post by lawbug123 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:00 pm

Passed IL! I did my own self-study schedule along with Themis though. Completed less than 50% of Themis and still passed. Really good experience with Themis though because I felt the PQs and the outline did a good job. I used the outline heavily. But the outline with the lectures really helped get the feel for it. The MBE was really hard... so I feel like I did about 1800 PQs, and that prepared me well for MBE. But mostly, the essays was probably what got me through and that was mostly through just understanding and getting a feel for the law. You got that mainly with the videos in my opinion. So happy and relieved this is over! :D

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

xmgr

New

Post by xmgr » Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:39 pm

Hello, is there any way to decode the raw score from a 140 MBE in July 2018?

TheJuryMustDie

Bronze

Post by TheJuryMustDie » Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:50 am

xmgr wrote:Hello, is there any way to decode the raw score from a 140 MBE in July 2018?
Message Joe Seperac on this board...

JoeSeperac

Post by JoeSeperac » Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:25 am

xmgr wrote:Hello, is there any way to decode the raw score from a 140 MBE in July 2018?
I need more J18 scores before I can say. Basically, I need 100-300 scores to figure out all the permutations and right now I have only 19 scores. I will be able to figure it out after NY & CA scores come out. if anyone has their J18 MBE subscores and wants to help out, my submission form is here:

http://seperac.com/subscoreform.php

For J17, I estimate a 113/175 (65% correct) resulted in a 140 scaled MBE score.

Reedy174

New

Post by Reedy174 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:11 pm

Passed NJ!

MBE 149.9 :O
Overall: 302
I know that is a scaled scored, but unless the scale was +30, my score was WAY higher than anything I got in practice.

I felt really good about MEE/MPT. MBE scared me to death.

Completed Themis 100%, did all of the Adaptibar questions (my school gave us access), so about 3,750 questions. Finished with about 69% correct over all of those Qs.

Feels good to be done.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Lawbrowsor25

New

Post by Lawbrowsor25 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:13 pm

Passed UBE in NJ!

Simulated: 116
Overall Average on Practice tests: 54%
Themis Final: 54%
Actual MBE: 147
Essays: 161
UBE score: 308

I wanted to post my practice scores to give people hope. My overall average on practice questions was a 54%. My individual score for civ pro and property was 40%. I was scoring between 65-70 % on mixed sets by the end, but I never got higher than a 70% mixed sets. My essays were always 3s and 4s and I only wrote out the graded essays and barely did practice essays. My point is I passed the bar exam with plenty of room to spare because I didn't give up and kept studying. I used critical pass and studied each answer and figured out why I got it wrong. My friend also used Themis and had similar practice scores and passed by a long shot. DO NOT LOSE HOPE.

LawIsLyfe33

New

Post by LawIsLyfe33 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:28 am

Passed in PA.

Themis simulated exam: 141/200
Overall Themis: 2175 questions, 63%

Actual Bar exam MBE: 156
Essays: 156

I felt very bad after the MBE day. Also, I got extremely bad scores on my Themis graded essays.

EJFeldner

New

Post by EJFeldner » Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:18 am

Neilt001 wrote:Now we have a thread.

(I passed NY in Feb 2018 with 100% course completion. Lemme know if any questions :) )
Hi Neilt001! I'm also a foreign trained lawyer and I'm planning to do the NY Bar in July 2019. May I ask, did you study the six month LLM Themis program or the ordinary one for 2 months?

tinabelcher

New

Post by tinabelcher » Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:58 pm

Hello all,

I just found out that I failed the IL bar exam this July. I would love some guidance on moving forward for February from those who have passed.
My score report is as follows:
MBE Scale: 127.6
MEE + IEE: 129.7
Total Scale Score: 258 (266 needed to pass)

I took the MO bar in 2015 after graduating law school. I used Kaplan and was 15 points away. I can honestly say that I did not know a fraction of the law in 2015 that I know sitting here today. The Kaplan method did not work for me, and I knew 1 month out that I would not pass the exam.
Since then, I have had my son and studied over a long period of time, using Critical Pass flash cards, Adaptibar (I did about 1,700 questions with about 60% average), and Kaplan books with IL specific outlines from friends.

This time, I need to bulletproof my MBE score. My essays were almost all 4s, I had a 6.7 on my MPT and two random "1" and "2" essays.

I am looking at Themis, as I have heard very good things and they have a published pass rate. I am also looking at JD Advising's MBE-specific program.
I need something to get me over the hump and teach me not only the black letter law, but also strategy, as I believe that is a large part of success on the MBE.

I truly thought I passed and had two very good job opportunities riding on my results. If I can turn this around and pass in February, it will change mine and my son's lives. Thank you in advance for any help out there!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

dlrkgml

New

Post by dlrkgml » Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:40 am

Passed NY!!

319 and scaled MBE of 149!!

I don't remember my exact Themis scores but my MBE hovered around 62% while my essays were always 4 or 5 (out of 6). I also didn't complete the course (maybe got to 87%?) as I was supplementing with Emmanuel + Critical Pass flash cards and ended up not having a ton of time left over at the end. I didn't walk out of the exam feeling like I failed because the essays seemed okay, but I definitely had way too many "I'm having a mental breakdown" type of talks with my Themis advisors.

White Dwarf

Bronze

Post by White Dwarf » Tue Oct 23, 2018 4:31 pm

Passed in NY: 318 overall, 158.1 MBE

Themis multiple choice was around 70% overall, with my mixed practice sets in the low-70's to low-80's for the most part. I got 1's and 2's on all the graded essays (mostly 1's), so don't let that bum you out in the future. Don't ignore it, obviously, but it's not the end of the world.

Findedeux

Bronze

Post by Findedeux » Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:14 pm

MBE
Practice Test 1: 72%
Practice Test 2: 78%
Simulated Exam: 80% (160/200)
Final Practice Test (100): 81%
Question Average: 77% of 1700 Questions

MEE & MPT
Only finished a few graded essays (2, 4, 5)
Didn't complete any of the exams
Was really behind on subjects; never got through Wills and Trusts and was studying days before exam to finish other subjects.
I was a pretty good writer in college and average in law school but since I have been out of school for a while I really expected to bomb the writing.

Total: 310
MBE: 169.6
Written: 140.4

deacon

New

Post by deacon » Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:07 pm

I am a foreign-trained lawyer. English is not my native language. On top of that, I am coming from a civil law jurisdiction. TLS discussions helped me a lot mentally, so I felt like I owe this post to the candidates out there.

I have passed the NY bar on my first attempt!! I did Themis LLM program. I was feeling hopeless until the last week. Even in the midst of all that studying, I thought giving it up and taking the exam next year. Yet, I heard people, including my Themis rep, saying that I needed to trust the process. As everyone said, I felt like everything was coming together in the last couple weeks.

Course Completion: 85%~
MBE Practice Exam 1 71%
MBE Practice Exam 2 64%
MBE Practice Exam 3 (Simulated) AM 65%
MBE Practice Exam 3 (Simulated) PM 66%
MBE Practice Exam 4 67%

Question Average: 64 or 65% of 2000~ question

MEE & MPT
Completed most of the practice MEEs but not MPTs. Completed all graded MEEs and MPTs.
Mostly between 3 or 4 out of 6. Received 2 and 6 once.

I used Critical Pass flashcards, they were very helpful in terms of seeing the big picture. I bought Emmanuel (purple one), but haven't had time to use it. I bought an NCBE practice exam. I realized there were similar questions in the exam in terms of their styles, which I haven't seen them in Themis.

Total: 313
MBE Scaled: 158.1
MEE&MPT: 154.9

Overall, I agree on the post above. Do not lose hope. Just trust the process, and do what it takes.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

gasfard

New

Post by gasfard » Wed Oct 24, 2018 5:20 pm

Passed in NY, used Themis. Got around 144 for MBE, 136 for the essays. Contrary to others I didn't get a big boost. I got around 68% of the MBE PQs right, and about 3~4 out of 6 for the essays from Themis. Passed with room to spare but not with an impressive score.

Lawbrowsor25

New

Post by Lawbrowsor25 » Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:09 pm

I used both Themis and critical pass. I think the key is to not waste time on the topics you understand. Instead, waste a lot of time understanding the subjects you don't get. Review all of the answers you got wrong and make sure thats not an answer you keep getting wrong. Also I would suggest purchasing critical pass and reading one subject a night every night until the day of the bar exam.

:D Hope this helps
tinabelcher wrote:Hello all,

I just found out that I failed the IL bar exam this July. I would love some guidance on moving forward for February from those who have passed.

I took the MO bar in 2015 after graduating law school. I used Kaplan and was 15 points away. I can honestly say that I did not know a fraction of the law in 2015 that I know sitting here today. The Kaplan method did not work for me, and I knew 1 month out that I would not pass the exam.
Since then, I have had my son and studied over a long period of time, using Critical Pass flash cards, Adaptibar (I did about 1,700 questions with about 60% average), and Kaplan books with IL specific outlines from friends.

This time, I need to bulletproof my MBE score. My essays were almost all 4s, I had a 6.7 on my MPT and two random "1" and "2" essays.

I am looking at Themis, as I have heard very good things and they have a published pass rate. I am also looking at JD Advising's MBE-specific program.
I need something to get me over the hump and teach me not only the black letter law, but also strategy, as I believe that is a large part of success on the MBE.

I truly thought I passed and had two very good job opportunities riding on my results. If I can turn this around and pass in February, it will change mine and my son's lives. Thank you in advance for any help out there!

tinabelcher

New

Post by tinabelcher » Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:33 pm

Lawbrowsor25 wrote:I used both Themis and critical pass. I think the key is to not waste time on the topics you understand. Instead, waste a lot of time understanding the subjects you don't get. Review all of the answers you got wrong and make sure thats not an answer you keep getting wrong. Also I would suggest purchasing critical pass and reading one subject a night every night until the day of the bar exam.

:D Hope this helps

Thank you! I have Critical Pass from the previous two exams. I will supplement Themis with those cards and hopefully it will put me where I need to be. :)
tinabelcher wrote:Hello all,

Neilt001

Post by Neilt001 » Sun Oct 28, 2018 1:44 pm

EJFeldner wrote:

(I passed NY in Feb 2018 with 100% course completion. Lemme know if any questions :) )
Hi Neilt001! I'm also a foreign trained lawyer and I'm planning to do the NY Bar in July 2019. May I ask, did you study the six month LLM Themis program or the ordinary one for 2 months?

Hi EJ! Sorry I've been busy so haven't checked in in a while.

So I did the regular Themis course. As I was working full-time, I did it over the course of 4 months, evenings and weekends.
My law degree satisfied the Board's requirements so I didn't need to do a New York LLM. I assume you did? I'm not sure what the Themis LLM course entails, but am certainly happy to chat about the regular course (although I'm sure I can help with Themis stuff generall).

Good luck!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

discobisquit007

New

Post by discobisquit007 » Mon Oct 29, 2018 6:01 pm

156.4 MBE

294 Overall

What a relief!

EJFeldner

New

Post by EJFeldner » Wed Oct 31, 2018 7:04 am

Neilt001 wrote:
EJFeldner wrote:

Hi EJ! Sorry I've been busy so haven't checked in in a while.

So I did the regular Themis course. As I was working full-time, I did it over the course of 4 months, evenings and weekends.
My law degree satisfied the Board's requirements so I didn't need to do a New York LLM. I assume you did? I'm not sure what the Themis LLM course entails, but am certainly happy to chat about the regular course (although I'm sure I can help with Themis stuff generall).

Good luck!
Hey Neilt001! No problem - life's busy! Thanks for letting me know. I'm actually the same as you, also from a jurisdiction that doesn't require me to do an LLM. Is there a better way for us to communicate? I don't think I can send inbox messages yet (I'm still too new on TLS).

longwait

New

Post by longwait » Sat Nov 17, 2018 4:37 am

Passed California using Themis—so would recommend it for CA.
I work full time and studied over nights and weekends for about 3 months.

l18

New

Post by l18 » Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:14 pm

Pajsa18 wrote:
l18 wrote:Last few days I've realized I def don't know enough of the law necessary to pass the essays. I would guess I'd score 61 to 66 percent on the MBE. So overall I feel like my chances don't look good this first time around.

I def needed to make my own outlines and look at a lot more practice exams and answers to feel confident. At this point I'm a 2/10 for the essays...
Don’t give up yet. Do whatever you have to do to pass this the first time around. There is still time to make up for missed subjects and add to base knowledge.

Go through EVERY SINGLE practice essay answer and do whatever you can to learn (not memorize) enough to paraphrase the answers. Not the fact patterns / fact specific portions, just the beginnings of each paragraph that shows the rule statements. This will help tremendously.

Never give in. Never, never, never . . . !

Don’t let this stupid @ss exam get the better of you!
I PASSED! :D

This is amazing considering how low I felt. My post history is interesting haha.

Your post seriously helped me keep going. After your post, I did go through EVERY essay and copied the rules, which was a tremendous help. I also reviewed the answers to the MBE questions I got wrong for the subjects that I was doing poorly on. I also I reviewed critical pass cards, and a bunch of other outlines.

For me, reading several different outlines helped me learn the subjects. I would say you cannot memorize word for word all of the information necessary to pass the test, so I was wrong to say that I needed to create my own outlines. I probably had 6 different outlines for each subject and used several of them for each. This is in addition to doing all of the Themis lectures (up to 4x speed!), MBE questions (over 1,500 with 62% correct overall), and Themis essay guides.

So, a BIG thanks to you and everyone else on this board that wrote and supported others. Without it I would not have passed, as I did not have a big support group while studying.

To anyone who did not pass, please do a quick review of how you studied and try to improve your strategy. So much about this test is not about how smart you are, but how you are studying for it.

Edit: One other resource I found helpful: jd advising mbe guide. Do this entire guide before you do MBE questions, and keep going back to it as you are studying.

Edit 2: I also found the Themis essay grader had helpful comments and I did change how I was writing because of the feedback I received. Saved all these comments and reviewed the graded essays to make sure I don't repeat past mistakes.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”