Largest score increase for re-takers after taking Themis Bar Review Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
gladiator0flaw11

Bronze

Largest score increase for re-takers after taking Themis Bar Review

Post by gladiator0flaw11 » Tue May 01, 2018 10:07 am

I'm still unsure if I am retaking the UBE this July, but I never enrolled in a full bar prep course and Themis Bar Review is about all I can afford. Those who failed prior to taking this prep course and passed after enrolling, what was the largest bar exam score jump (UBE) that you've seen? I don't want to go back in if I'm going to just increase my score but still fail under 266. Thank you for sharing in advance!

b290

Bronze

Re: Largest score increase for re-takers after taking Themis Bar Review

Post by b290 » Sat May 05, 2018 10:49 pm

gladiator0flaw11 wrote:I'm still unsure if I am retaking the UBE this July, but I never enrolled in a full bar prep course and Themis Bar Review is about all I can afford. Those who failed prior to taking this prep course and passed after enrolling, what was the largest bar exam score jump (UBE) that you've seen? I don't want to go back in if I'm going to just increase my score but still fail under 266. Thank you for sharing in advance!
Questions - If you don't mind me asking:

1) What did you use last time?
2) What did you get for this past exam?

I'd PM you these questions but PMs are still disabled (I think)

My $.02

gladiator0flaw11

Bronze

Post by gladiator0flaw11 » Sun May 06, 2018 1:28 pm

b290 wrote:
gladiator0flaw11 wrote:I'm still unsure if I am retaking the UBE this July, but I never enrolled in a full bar prep course and Themis Bar Review is about all I can afford. Those who failed prior to taking this prep course and passed after enrolling, what was the largest bar exam score jump (UBE) that you've seen? I don't want to go back in if I'm going to just increase my score but still fail under 266. Thank you for sharing in advance!

My $.02
1) Nothing but some outlines sent over from a friend and practice MBE questions.
2) I need around a 35 point jump, first time enrolled in a full bar prep course, hoping themis is worth it I got a $1,000 discount so the full course for $1,100 had to give myself one more chance with the right prep, I saw a post on here about a sixth time being a charm, hoping the same case for me here.

I sincerely appreciate your input and guidance in advance.

b290

Bronze

Post by b290 » Sun May 06, 2018 6:38 pm

gladiator0flaw11 wrote:
b290 wrote:

My $.02
1) Nothing but some outlines sent over from a friend and practice MBE questions.
2) I need around a 35 point jump, first time enrolled in a full bar prep course, hoping themis is worth it I got a $1,000 discount so the full course for $1,100 had to give myself one more chance with the right prep, I saw a post on here about a sixth time being a charm, hoping the same case for me here.

Themis is definitely worth it - provided you use it right. Take advantage of its resources, especially the essay writing (more for someone critiquing your essays). $1100 is also reasonable - considering how much a full bar prep course costs.

But before you start spending any money, you need to know your strengths and weaknesses. Addressing those will get you the biggest point gains. You need an average of 133 to pass. You can use that simple barometer for determining what needs more work. You also need an attitude that you will pass this exam. That alone would get you in the right mindset.

Anything else more specific, I'd be glad to be of further help!

My $.02

gladiator0flaw11

Bronze

Post by gladiator0flaw11 » Thu May 10, 2018 9:40 am

b290 wrote:
gladiator0flaw11 wrote:
b290 wrote:

My $.02

Themis is definitely worth it - provided you use it right. Take advantage of its resources, especially the essay writing (more for someone critiquing your essays). $1100 is also reasonable - considering how much a full bar prep course costs.

But before you start spending any money, you need to know your strengths and weaknesses. Addressing those will get you the biggest point gains. You need an average of 133 to pass. You can use that simple barometer for determining what needs more work. You also need an attitude that you will pass this exam. That alone would get you in the right mindset.

Anything else more specific, I'd be glad to be of further help!

My $.02
So far I started the study schedule early and I'm feeling little hesitant about paying the $1100 although it was discounted (currently unemployed and nervous about my chances being I needed 30 points more to pass in NY with a 266). I never took a prep course for the bar exam and I come from a broken home, so it's been a struggle at home financially. I do think grading the essays later on would be helpful but watching all these lecture videos and outlines so far seems to be things I thought I already knew. I just needed help with my structure writing essays when using IRAC for issues. Torn between trying to get some sort of refund and trying cheaper method despite my family insisting I need a prep course. fml

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

b290

Bronze

Post by b290 » Fri May 11, 2018 6:01 pm

gladiator0flaw11 wrote: So far I started the study schedule early and I'm feeling little hesitant about paying the $1100 although it was discounted (currently unemployed and nervous about my chances being I needed 30 points more to pass in NY with a 266). I never took a prep course for the bar exam and I come from a broken home, so it's been a struggle at home financially. I do think grading the essays later on would be helpful but watching all these lecture videos and outlines so far seems to be things I thought I already knew. I just needed help with my structure writing essays when using IRAC for issues. Torn between trying to get some sort of refund and trying cheaper method despite my family insisting I need a prep course. fml
That goes back to my earlier question: What did you get on the last exam for the MBE v. written?

Scoring around 230 just means organization issues (and not knowledge).It sounds like you need more targeted help. Watching videos is useless, especially for someone who’s taken the exam already. From what I've heard (from those who have done better in writing), practice makes perfect. Even more so for the MPTs - doing enough of those means free points. Having someone to check on your essays is invaluable though - it takes a second eye to see what you'd be missing.

Buying a prep course (for the sake of taking one) that puts you into further financial hardship does you no good. I've heard good things about Marino and Pieper, and they're less expensive. Model answers are available for free, so are MPTs. If you have to know exactly what you need and be resourceful, you can save some money. None of that replaces the work you'll put into it obviously. But you do need to be organized (that's probably where your family is coming from). In the event that you stick with Themis, do the writing assignments as scheduled. Don't slack off, you'll need to get into the habit of writing regularly. Ask for more.

My $.02

MRSP

New

Post by MRSP » Sat May 12, 2018 4:09 am

b290 wrote:
gladiator0flaw11 wrote: So far I started the study schedule early and I'm feeling little hesitant about paying the $1100 although it was discounted (currently unemployed and nervous about my chances being I needed 30 points more to pass in NY with a 266). I never took a prep course for the bar exam and I come from a broken home, so it's been a struggle at home financially. I do think grading the essays later on would be helpful but watching all these lecture videos and outlines so far seems to be things I thought I already knew. I just needed help with my structure writing essays when using IRAC for issues. Torn between trying to get some sort of refund and trying cheaper method despite my family insisting I need a prep course. fml
That goes back to my earlier question: What did you get on the last exam for the MBE v. written?

Scoring around 230 just means organization issues (and not knowledge).It sounds like you need more targeted help. Watching videos is useless, especially for someone who’s taken the exam already. From what I've heard (from those who have done better in writing), practice makes perfect. Even more so for the MPTs - doing enough of those means free points. Having someone to check on your essays is invaluable though - it takes a second eye to see what you'd be missing.

Buying a prep course (for the sake of taking one) that puts you into further financial hardship does you no good. I've heard good things about Marino and Pieper, and they're less expensive. Model answers are available for free, so are MPTs. If you have to know exactly what you need and be resourceful, you can save some money. None of that replaces the work you'll put into it obviously. But you do need to be organized (that's probably where your family is coming from). In the event that you stick with Themis, do the writing assignments as scheduled. Don't slack off, you'll need to get into the habit of writing regularly. Ask for more.

My $.02

b290, could you speak to the differences between Marino and Themis by chance? I am on the verge of buying themis, but am considering Marino as I have heard they have more strategy in regards to the MBBE and MEE. I like the comfort of a more well known bar company like Themis though...any advice or thoughts by chance? Thanks so much

gladiator0flaw11

Bronze

Post by gladiator0flaw11 » Sun May 13, 2018 9:13 am

b290 wrote:

My $.02
Thank you for your input. I decided to keep rolling with Themis and just put everything I can into the course going into July's exam. This will be the last time I sit for it so might as well keep moving with the prep course.

b290

Bronze

Post by b290 » Mon May 14, 2018 2:21 pm

gladiator0flaw11 wrote: I’m passing so this will be the last time I sit for it. might as well keep moving with the prep course.

There, I fixed it for you :lol:

But seriously, that’s the mentality you’d want for July. Bob (the head of NY program) calls to check up on you, and he gives you his number. He is really good with suggestions!

My $.02

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”