The "Ask @JoeSeperac" Thread

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
JoeSeperac

Moderator
Posts: 421
Joined: Thu Feb 16, 2017 3:30 pm

Re: The "Ask @JoeSeperac" Thread

Postby JoeSeperac » Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:50 am

nrthwst4now wrote:Hi Joe -

Could you help me understand how my score stacks up?

UBE: 323
MBE: 156 (was told in results this was the 78.7 percentile)
MEE: 166.7

Thanks.

Congratulations on passing the J19 UBE bar exam. Based on your scaled MBE score of 156, your estimated raw MBE score was about 137/175 correct (based on the last time an MBE scale was released in 2013). This means you answered about 78.3% of the graded MBE questions correctly. While you were 78.7% percentile for the J19 exam, you are in the 79.9% percentile for the MBE based on national data for the past seven July exams (to give you a smoother estimation of where you stand nationally).

Based on a total score of 323, your written score was 166.7, which would have placed you in the 94.5% percentile among examinees nationwide (meaning that 5.5% of examinees nationwide would have scored better than you on the MEE/MPT).

Although NCBE does not release percentiles for total UBE scores, if I average your MBE and written percentiles, this would place you in the 87.2% percentile among examinees nationwide based on your total score of 323 (meaning that 12.8% of examinees nationwide scored better than you on the UBE). Please keep in mind this is just an estimate and may be incorrect.

On the MBE, examinees usually score close to their MBE practice scores, especially if they have done a large number of MBE questions in practice. How many questions did you answer in practice, from what sources (e.g. Barbri, Kaplan, Adaptibar, NCBE) and what was your overall % correct?

Congratulations again!

User avatar
BeeTeeZ

Bronze
Posts: 194
Joined: Thu Nov 24, 2016 5:26 am

Re: The "Ask @JoeSeperac" Thread

Postby BeeTeeZ » Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:18 pm

JoeSeperac wrote:
BeeTeeZ wrote:Hi Joe,

Could you please tell me my UBE and MEE ranks? Thank you so much!

UBE: 298
MEE: 140

Congratulations on passing! Based on your scaled MBE score of 140, your estimated raw MBE score was about 114/175 correct (based on the last time an MBE scale was released in 2013). This means you answered about 65.1% of the graded MBE questions correctly. This places you in the 44.3% percentile for the MBE. This means that 55.7% of Jul examinees nationwide did better than you on the MBE based on your scaled MBE score of 140 (based on national data for the past 7 years).

Although NCBE does not release percentiles for total UBE scores, if I average your MBE and written percentiles, this would place you in the 44.3% percentile among examinees nationwide based on your total score of (meaning that 55.7% of examinees nationwide scored better than you on the UBE). Please keep in mind this is just an estimate and may be incorrect.

You were a model of consistency by being about 44.3% percentile across the board. Over the past 20 years, there have been about 1,214,744 bar exam takers nationwide and 851,402 bar exam passers for an overall national pass rate of about 70%. So anything better than 30th percentile should lead to a pass in most jurisdictions (except in the crazy state of California).

If you don't mind, if you had to attribute your passing to just one thing, what would that be?


Thank you so much Joe! I think the single most important thing I did to prepare was to follow my gut and "go rogue" during the Barbri course.

Barbri's workload was unreasonable IMO, and I felt discouraged struggling to keep up with the daily assignments. I realized that Barbri's expectations were having a detrimental affect on my morale, so I decided to start discarding assignments in my PSP so I could "keep pace."

I studied the CMR and lecture notes every day (8 hours). I'd usually finish the day by answering/reviewing 15 practice MBE questions (1 hour) and outlining/reviewing 2 MEE essays (1 hour). Everything else in my PSP I discarded.

So about 80% of my time was spent "studying" the law as opposed to learning from my mistakes answering practice questions. I felt that this approach was a more economical use of my time, even though it apparently cuts against Barbri's data.

nrthwst4now

New
Posts: 95
Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2017 1:11 pm

Re: The "Ask @JoeSeperac" Thread

Postby nrthwst4now » Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:24 am

JoeSeperac wrote:
nrthwst4now wrote:Hi Joe -

Could you help me understand how my score stacks up?

UBE: 323
MBE: 156 (was told in results this was the 78.7 percentile)
MEE: 166.7

Thanks.

Congratulations on passing the J19 UBE bar exam. Based on your scaled MBE score of 156, your estimated raw MBE score was about 137/175 correct (based on the last time an MBE scale was released in 2013). This means you answered about 78.3% of the graded MBE questions correctly. While you were 78.7% percentile for the J19 exam, you are in the 79.9% percentile for the MBE based on national data for the past seven July exams (to give you a smoother estimation of where you stand nationally).

Based on a total score of 323, your written score was 166.7, which would have placed you in the 94.5% percentile among examinees nationwide (meaning that 5.5% of examinees nationwide would have scored better than you on the MEE/MPT).

Although NCBE does not release percentiles for total UBE scores, if I average your MBE and written percentiles, this would place you in the 87.2% percentile among examinees nationwide based on your total score of 323 (meaning that 12.8% of examinees nationwide scored better than you on the UBE). Please keep in mind this is just an estimate and may be incorrect.

On the MBE, examinees usually score close to their MBE practice scores, especially if they have done a large number of MBE questions in practice. How many questions did you answer in practice, from what sources (e.g. Barbri, Kaplan, Adaptibar, NCBE) and what was your overall % correct?

Congratulations again!


Thanks for the info! I did Themis and AdaptiBar and finished about 2800 questions. My overall percentage was around 71% but I saw significant progress over the last month of studying.

oldmanroyal

New
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat Apr 06, 2019 6:49 pm

Re: The "Ask @JoeSeperac" Thread

Postby oldmanroyal » Mon Sep 23, 2019 5:53 pm

My July 2019 MBE score was 145, stated 55% overall. Would this be around 68% correct (119/175)?

JoeSeperac

Moderator
Posts: 421
Joined: Thu Feb 16, 2017 3:30 pm

Re: The "Ask @JoeSeperac" Thread

Postby JoeSeperac » Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:57 pm

BeeTeeZ wrote:
JoeSeperac wrote:
BeeTeeZ wrote:Hi Joe,

Could you please tell me my UBE and MEE ranks? Thank you so much!

UBE: 298
MEE: 140

Congratulations on passing! Based on your scaled MBE score of 140, your estimated raw MBE score was about 114/175 correct (based on the last time an MBE scale was released in 2013). This means you answered about 65.1% of the graded MBE questions correctly. This places you in the 44.3% percentile for the MBE. This means that 55.7% of Jul examinees nationwide did better than you on the MBE based on your scaled MBE score of 140 (based on national data for the past 7 years).

Although NCBE does not release percentiles for total UBE scores, if I average your MBE and written percentiles, this would place you in the 44.3% percentile among examinees nationwide based on your total score of (meaning that 55.7% of examinees nationwide scored better than you on the UBE). Please keep in mind this is just an estimate and may be incorrect.

You were a model of consistency by being about 44.3% percentile across the board. Over the past 20 years, there have been about 1,214,744 bar exam takers nationwide and 851,402 bar exam passers for an overall national pass rate of about 70%. So anything better than 30th percentile should lead to a pass in most jurisdictions (except in the crazy state of California).

If you don't mind, if you had to attribute your passing to just one thing, what would that be?


Thank you so much Joe! I think the single most important thing I did to prepare was to follow my gut and "go rogue" during the Barbri course.

Barbri's workload was unreasonable IMO, and I felt discouraged struggling to keep up with the daily assignments. I realized that Barbri's expectations were having a detrimental affect on my morale, so I decided to start discarding assignments in my PSP so I could "keep pace."

I studied the CMR and lecture notes every day (8 hours). I'd usually finish the day by answering/reviewing 15 practice MBE questions (1 hour) and outlining/reviewing 2 MEE essays (1 hour). Everything else in my PSP I discarded.

So about 80% of my time was spent "studying" the law as opposed to learning from my mistakes answering practice questions. I felt that this approach was a more economical use of my time, even though it apparently cuts against Barbri's data.

Thanks. Based purely on your Barbri sim score of 130/200, I would have estimated your MBE to be around 140, so you over-performed on the exam. Would it be accurate to say you answered about 800 MBE questions in your overall practice ?

JoeSeperac

Moderator
Posts: 421
Joined: Thu Feb 16, 2017 3:30 pm

Re: The "Ask @JoeSeperac" Thread

Postby JoeSeperac » Thu Sep 26, 2019 8:07 pm

oldmanroyal wrote:My July 2019 MBE score was 145, stated 55% overall. Would this be around 68% correct (119/175)?

Based on your scaled MBE score of 145, your estimated raw MBE score was about 121/175 correct (based on the last time an MBE scale was released in 2013). This means you answered about 69.1% of the graded MBE questions correctly. This places you in the 55.8% percentile for the MBE. This means that only 44.2% of Jul examinees nationwide did better than you on the MBE based on your scaled MBE score of 145 (based on national data for the past 7 years to provide a smoother estimate). Good job oldman!

User avatar
BeeTeeZ

Bronze
Posts: 194
Joined: Thu Nov 24, 2016 5:26 am

Re: The "Ask @JoeSeperac" Thread

Postby BeeTeeZ » Fri Sep 27, 2019 12:30 pm

JoeSeperac wrote:
BeeTeeZ wrote:
JoeSeperac wrote:
BeeTeeZ wrote:Hi Joe,

Could you please tell me my UBE and MEE ranks? Thank you so much!

UBE: 298
MEE: 140

Congratulations on passing! Based on your scaled MBE score of 140, your estimated raw MBE score was about 114/175 correct (based on the last time an MBE scale was released in 2013). This means you answered about 65.1% of the graded MBE questions correctly. This places you in the 44.3% percentile for the MBE. This means that 55.7% of Jul examinees nationwide did better than you on the MBE based on your scaled MBE score of 140 (based on national data for the past 7 years).

Although NCBE does not release percentiles for total UBE scores, if I average your MBE and written percentiles, this would place you in the 44.3% percentile among examinees nationwide based on your total score of (meaning that 55.7% of examinees nationwide scored better than you on the UBE). Please keep in mind this is just an estimate and may be incorrect.

You were a model of consistency by being about 44.3% percentile across the board. Over the past 20 years, there have been about 1,214,744 bar exam takers nationwide and 851,402 bar exam passers for an overall national pass rate of about 70%. So anything better than 30th percentile should lead to a pass in most jurisdictions (except in the crazy state of California).

If you don't mind, if you had to attribute your passing to just one thing, what would that be?


Thank you so much Joe! I think the single most important thing I did to prepare was to follow my gut and "go rogue" during the Barbri course.

Barbri's workload was unreasonable IMO, and I felt discouraged struggling to keep up with the daily assignments. I realized that Barbri's expectations were having a detrimental affect on my morale, so I decided to start discarding assignments in my PSP so I could "keep pace."

I studied the CMR and lecture notes every day (8 hours). I'd usually finish the day by answering/reviewing 15 practice MBE questions (1 hour) and outlining/reviewing 2 MEE essays (1 hour). Everything else in my PSP I discarded.

So about 80% of my time was spent "studying" the law as opposed to learning from my mistakes answering practice questions. I felt that this approach was a more economical use of my time, even though it apparently cuts against Barbri's data.

Thanks. Based purely on your Barbri sim score of 130/200, I would have estimated your MBE to be around 140, so you over-performed on the exam. Would it be accurate to say you answered about 800 MBE questions in your overall practice ?


Ya I think ~800 sounds about right.

linkster515

New
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Mar 31, 2014 2:35 pm

Re: The "Ask @JoeSeperac" Thread

Postby linkster515 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:15 pm

Hey Joe-- I was wondering if you had any information on MBE improvement through repeat MBE questions. While I wait for my results, I keep wondering whether I actually made a performance improvement or if relied too much on questions I had done twice or in some cases three times.

Background: I took the February 2019 Bar Exam and got a 124.6 on the MBE. I am a strong essay writer and only failed the exam by a couple of points. During my prep, I abandoned Barbri's questions and I did about 1800 Adaptibar questions with a total average of 58.3% accuracy. (I have always had trouble with standardized testing). While I knew that was not where I needed to be, I was still surprised to score so poorly.

I redoubled my efforts to prepare for July 2019 beginning the day after I got my results for Feb. I ended up doing over 4500 Adaptibar questions (75% accuracy by the end) and all 1200 (~68% accurancy) in S&T Finz Book. While I can say I noticed an immediate jump in my score a couple days after I started studying again for the July exam (almost as if I had another week to study for February it would have clicked), I can't seem to figure out if my score percentage is an accurate indicator of my test performance given the fact I was doing the same questions two or in some cases three times. I just kept continuing to do Adaptibar questions because I ran out of questions like a month and a half before the test.

While I do believe my Adaptibar overall accuracy score is a bit inflated from remembering some questions (surprisingly it was not as easy as you would think to remember the specifics of every question no matter how many times you do it and in the cases I did remember the answer, I focused on identifying the areas of the question that lead to the why the right answer was correct), I would love to know your thoughts on if you have any information or research related to studying on repeat questions and whether it does in fact affect one's performance. I felt far more confident taking the July MBE but again I can't tell if thats was all a placebo.

JoeSeperac

Moderator
Posts: 421
Joined: Thu Feb 16, 2017 3:30 pm

Re: The "Ask @JoeSeperac" Thread

Postby JoeSeperac » Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:38 am

linkster515 wrote:Hey Joe-- I was wondering if you had any information on MBE improvement through repeat MBE questions. While I wait for my results, I keep wondering whether I actually made a performance improvement or if relied too much on questions I had done twice or in some cases three times.

Background: I took the February 2019 Bar Exam and got a 124.6 on the MBE. I am a strong essay writer and only failed the exam by a couple of points. During my prep, I abandoned Barbri's questions and I did about 1800 Adaptibar questions with a total average of 58.3% accuracy. (I have always had trouble with standardized testing). While I knew that was not where I needed to be, I was still surprised to score so poorly.

I redoubled my efforts to prepare for July 2019 beginning the day after I got my results for Feb. I ended up doing over 4500 Adaptibar questions (75% accuracy by the end) and all 1200 (~68% accurancy) in S&T Finz Book. While I can say I noticed an immediate jump in my score a couple days after I started studying again for the July exam (almost as if I had another week to study for February it would have clicked), I can't seem to figure out if my score percentage is an accurate indicator of my test performance given the fact I was doing the same questions two or in some cases three times. I just kept continuing to do Adaptibar questions because I ran out of questions like a month and a half before the test.

While I do believe my Adaptibar overall accuracy score is a bit inflated from remembering some questions (surprisingly it was not as easy as you would think to remember the specifics of every question no matter how many times you do it and in the cases I did remember the answer, I focused on identifying the areas of the question that lead to the why the right answer was correct), I would love to know your thoughts on if you have any information or research related to studying on repeat questions and whether it does in fact affect one's performance. I felt far more confident taking the July MBE but again I can't tell if thats was all a placebo.


Examinees who pass sometimes send me their scores and fill out a form where they break down what MBE questions they did and their practice % correct. For examinees who were scoring 70-80% correct in Adaptibar, their actual MBEs averaged between 137-140. However, keep in mind this is just an average. Some examinees score in the 120s while others in the 160s. Since you did so many, I would shade you higher than the average.

I wouldn't worry too much about the repeat questions potentially misrepresenting your true % correct as long as you know you didnt have the answers memorized (e.g. when you see the question you can answer it without having to read it). NCBE conducted a study in 1998 to determine whether the repeated use of MBE items was affecting the scores of repeaters. The study found that there was almost no score increase among repeaters who answered repeated test questions. The average score increase in questions that candidates had seen on previous administrations was less than half of one scaled score point. Therefore, while the increase was statistically significant, the perceived advantage of previous exposure to test items was negligible. You can read the study here:

https://seperac.com/pdf/670198_SandiferandKunce.pdf

Again, this study was based on MBE questions from the exam (i.e. without answer explanations) so it may not predict how examinees do with repeated practice questions that have answer explanations so you can in a sense memorize the right answer. However, what I take from this study is that failing examinees generally do not learn from their mistakes.

packer_22

New
Posts: 66
Joined: Sat Jul 05, 2014 5:28 pm

Re: The "Ask @JoeSeperac" Thread

Postby packer_22 » Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:55 am

Joe,

I filled out the predictor on your website and was predicted to get a 341...my actual score was 335. Will you e-mail us to follow up?

I did 100% of Barbri, then made flashcards using the long outlines to help drill in the elements of the intentional torts, specific intent crimes, etc. If there is anything else I can do you help you help others, PM me.

sadgrl

New
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2016 10:22 am

Re: The "Ask @JoeSeperac" Thread

Postby sadgrl » Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:20 am

Hi Joe!

Also curious here about how my score compares.

UBE: 336
MBE: 164.1

Thanks!

personwholaws

New
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:04 pm

Re: The "Ask @JoeSeperac" Thread

Postby personwholaws » Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:24 am

Hi joe,

I’m curious how my score compares also.

UBE- 335
MBE- 164.1

gopurp333

New
Posts: 61
Joined: Tue Apr 26, 2016 12:20 pm

Re: The "Ask @JoeSeperac" Thread

Postby gopurp333 » Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:02 am

Hey Joe --

Total: 331
MBE: 160.7

Thanks!

User avatar
westinghouse60

Bronze
Posts: 403
Joined: Mon Aug 02, 2010 2:27 am

Re: The "Ask @JoeSeperac" Thread

Postby westinghouse60 » Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:28 am

Hi Joe - thanks for doing this for everyone. Was curious how my score compared -

UBE: 310
MBE: 157.5

Thanks!

jaekeem

New
Posts: 74
Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2016 1:05 pm

Re: The "Ask @JoeSeperac" Thread

Postby jaekeem » Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:40 am

Hi!!

Total 323 MBE 159.1

Thank you!!!

JoeSeperac

Moderator
Posts: 421
Joined: Thu Feb 16, 2017 3:30 pm

Re: The "Ask @JoeSeperac" Thread

Postby JoeSeperac » Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:07 am

packer_22 wrote:Joe,

I filled out the predictor on your website and was predicted to get a 341...my actual score was 335. Will you e-mail us to follow up?

I did 100% of Barbri, then made flashcards using the long outlines to help drill in the elements of the intentional torts, specific intent crimes, etc. If there is anything else I can do you help you help others, PM me.


I send out the followup email at the end of the year, but if you send an email to me now at joe @ seperac.com, I will update your info and send you back stats on your scoring. Thanks.

JoeSeperac

Moderator
Posts: 421
Joined: Thu Feb 16, 2017 3:30 pm

Re: The "Ask @JoeSeperac" Thread

Postby JoeSeperac » Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:16 am

sadgrl wrote:Hi Joe!

Also curious here about how my score compares.

UBE: 336
MBE: 164.1

Thanks!

Congratulations! Based on your scaled MBE score of 164.1, your estimated raw MBE score was about 148/175 correct (based on the last time an MBE scale was released in 2013). This means you answered about 84.6% of the graded MBE questions correctly. This places you in the 92% percentile for the MBE. This means that 8% of Jul examinees nationwide did better than you on the MBE based on your scaled MBE score of 164.1 (based on national data for the past 7 years).

Based on a total score of 336, your written score was 171.9, which would have placed you in the 97.9% percentile among examinees nationwide (meaning that 2.1% of examinees nationwide would have scored better than you on the MEE/MPT).

Although NCBE does not release percentiles for total UBE scores, based on the MBE and written percentiles, this would place you in the 95% percentile among examinees nationwide based on your total score of 336 (meaning that 5.1% of examinees nationwide scored better than you on the UBE). Please keep in mind this is just an estimate and may be incorrect.

Anything you can attribute to your excellent written score?

JoeSeperac

Moderator
Posts: 421
Joined: Thu Feb 16, 2017 3:30 pm

Re: The "Ask @JoeSeperac" Thread

Postby JoeSeperac » Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:17 am

personwholaws wrote:Hi joe,

I’m curious how my score compares also.

UBE- 335
MBE- 164.1

Another 164.1 MBE! Congratulations on passing the J19 NY bar exam. Based on your scaled MBE score of 164.1, your estimated raw MBE score was about 148/175 correct (based on the last time an MBE scale was released in 2013). This means you answered about 84.6% of the graded MBE questions correctly. This places you in the 92% percentile for the MBE. This means that 8% of Jul examinees nationwide did better than you on the MBE based on your scaled MBE score of 164.1 (based on national data for the past 7 years).

Based on a total score of 335, your written score was 170.9, which would have placed you in the 97.5% percentile among examinees nationwide (meaning that 2.5% of examinees nationwide would have scored better than you on the MEE/MPT).

Although NCBE does not release percentiles for total UBE scores, based on the MBE and written percentiles, this would place you in the 94.8% percentile among examinees nationwide based on your total score of 335 (meaning that 5.3% of examinees nationwide scored better than you on the UBE). Please keep in mind this is just an estimate and may be incorrect.

How many MBE questions did you answer in practice, from what sources (e.g. Barbri, Kaplan, Adaptibar, NCBE) and what was your overall % correct?

Joe

JoeSeperac

Moderator
Posts: 421
Joined: Thu Feb 16, 2017 3:30 pm

Re: The "Ask @JoeSeperac" Thread

Postby JoeSeperac » Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:20 am

gopurp333 wrote:Hey Joe --

Total: 331
MBE: 160.7

Thanks!

Based on your scaled MBE score of 160.7, your estimated raw MBE score was about 143/175 correct (based on the last time an MBE scale was released in 2013). This means you answered about 81.7% of the graded MBE questions correctly. This places you in the 87.5% percentile for the MBE. This means that 12.5% of Jul examinees nationwide did better than you on the MBE based on your scaled MBE score of 160.7 (based on national data for the past 7 years).

Based on a total score of 331, your written score was 170.3, which would have placed you in the 97.2% percentile among examinees nationwide (meaning that 2.8% of examinees nationwide would have scored better than you on the MEE/MPT).

Although NCBE does not release percentiles for total UBE scores, based on the MBE and written percentiles, this would place you in the 92.4% percentile among examinees nationwide based on your total score of 331 (meaning that 7.7% of examinees nationwide scored better than you on the UBE). Please keep in mind this is just an estimate and may be incorrect.

If you email me in a few weeks, I can also give you the actual J19 percentiles instead the 7 year average.

JoeSeperac

Moderator
Posts: 421
Joined: Thu Feb 16, 2017 3:30 pm

Re: The "Ask @JoeSeperac" Thread

Postby JoeSeperac » Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:21 am

westinghouse60 wrote:Hi Joe - thanks for doing this for everyone. Was curious how my score compared -

UBE: 310
MBE: 157.5

Thanks!

Congratulations on passing! Based on your scaled MBE score of 157.5, your estimated raw MBE score was about 139/175 correct (based on the last time an MBE scale was released in 2013). This means you answered about 79.4% of the graded MBE questions correctly. This places you in the 82.4% percentile for the MBE. This means that 17.6% of Jul examinees nationwide did better than you on the MBE based on your scaled MBE score of 157.5 (based on national data for the past 7 years).

Based on a total score of 310, your written score was 152.5, which would have placed you in the 72.9% percentile among examinees nationwide (meaning that 27.1% of examinees nationwide would have scored better than you on the MEE/MPT).

Although NCBE does not release percentiles for total UBE scores, based on the MBE and written percentiles, this would place you in the 77.7% percentile among examinees nationwide based on your total score of 310 (meaning that 22.4% of examinees nationwide scored better than you on the UBE). Please keep in mind this is just an estimate and may be incorrect.

Your scores were pretty consistent. Did you balance your studies and spend equal time on the MBE versus written?

Joe

JoeSeperac

Moderator
Posts: 421
Joined: Thu Feb 16, 2017 3:30 pm

Re: The "Ask @JoeSeperac" Thread

Postby JoeSeperac » Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:23 am

jaekeem wrote:Hi!!

Total 323 MBE 159.1

Thank you!!!


Congratulations on passing the J19 NY bar exam. Based on your scaled MBE score of 159.1, your estimated raw MBE score was about 141/175 correct (based on the last time an MBE scale was released in 2013). This means you answered about 80.6% of the graded MBE questions correctly. This places you in the 85.1% percentile for the MBE. This means that 14.9% of Jul examinees nationwide did better than you on the MBE based on your scaled MBE score of 159.1 (based on national data for the past 7 years).

Based on a total score of 323, your written score was 163.9, which would have placed you in the 91.7% percentile among examinees nationwide (meaning that 8.3% of examinees nationwide would have scored better than you on the MEE/MPT).

Although NCBE does not release percentiles for total UBE scores, based on the MBE and written percentiles, this would place you in the 88.4% percentile among examinees nationwide based on your total score of 323 (meaning that 11.6% of examinees nationwide scored better than you on the UBE). Please keep in mind this is just an estimate and may be incorrect.

If you don't mind one quick question, if you had to attribute your passing to just one thing, what would that be?

personwholaws

New
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:04 pm

Re: The "Ask @JoeSeperac" Thread

Postby personwholaws » Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:25 am

JoeSeperac wrote:
personwholaws wrote:Hi joe,

I’m curious how my score compares also.

UBE- 335
MBE- 164.1

Another 164.1 MBE! Congratulations on passing the J19 NY bar exam. Based on your scaled MBE score of 164.1, your estimated raw MBE score was about 148/175 correct (based on the last time an MBE scale was released in 2013). This means you answered about 84.6% of the graded MBE questions correctly. This places you in the 92% percentile for the MBE. This means that 8% of Jul examinees nationwide did better than you on the MBE based on your scaled MBE score of 164.1 (based on national data for the past 7 years).

Based on a total score of 335, your written score was 170.9, which would have placed you in the 97.5% percentile among examinees nationwide (meaning that 2.5% of examinees nationwide would have scored better than you on the MEE/MPT).

Although NCBE does not release percentiles for total UBE scores, based on the MBE and written percentiles, this would place you in the 94.8% percentile among examinees nationwide based on your total score of 335 (meaning that 5.3% of examinees nationwide scored better than you on the UBE). Please keep in mind this is just an estimate and may be incorrect.

How many MBE questions did you answer in practice, from what sources (e.g. Barbri, Kaplan, Adaptibar, NCBE) and what was your overall % correct?

Joe


I answered about 2400 or so MBE questions from Themis and NCBE. Themis was about 1900-2000, with 67% right. NCBE were the rest, and I normally got about 80-90% right on their sets.

JoeSeperac

Moderator
Posts: 421
Joined: Thu Feb 16, 2017 3:30 pm

Re: The "Ask @JoeSeperac" Thread

Postby JoeSeperac » Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:25 am

I just updated my NY Bar Exam Score Calculator:

https://mberules.com/ny-bar-exam-score-calculator/

If you plug in your scores, it will accurately estimate your final score. You can then play around with the numbers to test alternate scoring scenarios.

To anyone who passed J19 and has their score info, I can give you some additional stats on your scoring if you fill out this form:

https://seperac.com/subscoreform.php

If you only have your MBE and UBE score, I will give you stats on your percentiles. If you also have your MBE subscores (e.g. Washington gives this out to passing examinees), I will give you a breakdown of these too (once I receive about 100 scores and figure out the scaling).

If you failed the exam and want a free 16 page analysis of your scores, here is my scoreform:

http://seperac.com/scoreform.php

I’ve been working on this analysis for 10+ years and have sent it to thousands of examinees. It will give you an excellent understanding of how you compared to others and where you went wrong. Please note you won’t receive this report for about 2 weeks because I have to collect enough scores first to figure out the scales.

jaekeem

New
Posts: 74
Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2016 1:05 pm

Re: The "Ask @JoeSeperac" Thread

Postby jaekeem » Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:34 am

JoeSeperac wrote:
jaekeem wrote:Hi!!

Total 323 MBE 159.1

Thank you!!!


Congratulations on passing the J19 NY bar exam. Based on your scaled MBE score of 159.1, your estimated raw MBE score was about 141/175 correct (based on the last time an MBE scale was released in 2013). This means you answered about 80.6% of the graded MBE questions correctly. This places you in the 85.1% percentile for the MBE. This means that 14.9% of Jul examinees nationwide did better than you on the MBE based on your scaled MBE score of 159.1 (based on national data for the past 7 years).

Based on a total score of 323, your written score was 163.9, which would have placed you in the 91.7% percentile among examinees nationwide (meaning that 8.3% of examinees nationwide would have scored better than you on the MEE/MPT).

Although NCBE does not release percentiles for total UBE scores, based on the MBE and written percentiles, this would place you in the 88.4% percentile among examinees nationwide based on your total score of 323 (meaning that 11.6% of examinees nationwide scored better than you on the UBE). Please keep in mind this is just an estimate and may be incorrect.

If you don't mind one quick question, if you had to attribute your passing to just one thing, what would that be?


Thank you so much!!!

Hmm I would say just reading tons of essays and answers and memorizing cold the mpt forms to follow

I can count on both hands the amount of mee questions/mpts I actually wrote out, cause I was dealing with some personal stuff and didn’t really start studying until like five or six weeks before the exam. I knew I was behind on the mbes and that might take me more time, so I adopted what I thought was a more efficient approach for me on the essays and it thankfully worked out. I actually freaked out a little during the mpts live but then I started typing relevant sections from the question as I read and copy pasting them around as I wrote and edited my answer to save time

Anon9876

New
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:02 pm

Re: The "Ask @JoeSeperac" Thread

Postby Anon9876 » Wed Oct 23, 2019 12:26 pm

Hi Joe!

Was hoping to see how I compared as well and how the written portion went.

MBE score 162.4
Total score 349.

Thanks!
Last edited by Anon9876 on Wed Oct 23, 2019 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.



Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum?

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.