The "Ask @JoeSeperac" Thread

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
lexingtonhr

New

Re: The "Ask @JoeSeperac" Thread

Postby lexingtonhr » Fri May 24, 2019 9:17 am

Hi Joe, do you also calculate CA bar scores?

I got a 1544 scaled written and a 1286 scaled MBE, total scaled score: 1415.

How many raw points did I get for the MBE and how much do I need to raise it?

we'rebothmenofthelaw

New

Postby we'rebothmenofthelaw » Fri May 24, 2019 10:24 am

Curiosity and vanity have gotten the better of me—can you please tell me where a 169.2 MBE and 336 ube on the feb NY bar would place me?

As far as what I did:

About 70% of Kaplan, with maybe 600 questions plus the full length tests that they schedule. I also did a ton of graded MEE essays (maybe 25 or so) and about 4 mpt’s in addition to the scheduled ones. I found the MEE to be the hardest portion of the the test and so attacked it the hardest, while doing a steady stream of MBE q’s to stay fresh.

In the last two weeks, I read the shorter book outlines for both MBE and MEE (I think they’re called Bar Points) and found those really helpful—the big books were too long, and I didn’t take notes or outline during the class portion, and I thought the quicksheets didn’t have enough meat on the bones.

Biggest thing for me was staying focused and healthy throughout the process. Eating well, exercising, having some creative projects on the side, and staying a little bit social were crucial. Other than the chance to learn a little bit of law I didn’t have a chance to learn in law school, bar study is a pretty joyless experience, so having other things that made me happy were important.

Good luck to all retakers or future takers! You can do this!!

JoeSeperac

Postby JoeSeperac » Sun May 26, 2019 5:03 pm

lexingtonhr wrote:Hi Joe, do you also calculate CA bar scores?

I got a 1544 scaled written and a 1286 scaled MBE, total scaled score: 1415.

How many raw points did I get for the MBE and how much do I need to raise it?

I think I just emailed you. If not, based on your scaled MBE score of 128.6, your estimated raw MBE score was about 107/175 correct (based on the last time an MBE scale was released in 2013). This means you answered about 61.1% of the graded MBE questions correctly. This places you in the 30.3% percentile for the MBE. This means that 69.7% of Feb examinees nationwide did better than you on the MBE based on your scaled MBE score of 128.6 (based on national data for the past 7 years).

I attempted to convert your Written and Total Scores to the UBE Scale. I estimate your Total UBE Score would have been 283. Based on a total score of 283, your written score was 154.4, which would have placed you in the 88.3% percentile among examinees nationwide (meaning that 11.7% of examinees nationwide would have scored better than you on the MEE/MPT). This means you would likely pass the exam in most UBE states.

Although NCBE does not release percentiles for total UBE scores, if I average your MBE and written percentiles, this would place you in the 59.3% percentile among examinees nationwide based on your total score of 283 (meaning that 40.7% of examinees nationwide scored better than you on the UBE). Please keep in mind this is just an estimate and may be incorrect.

JoeSeperac

Postby JoeSeperac » Sun May 26, 2019 5:15 pm

we'rebothmenofthelaw wrote:Curiosity and vanity have gotten the better of me—can you please tell me where a 169.2 MBE and 336 ube on the feb NY bar would place me?

As far as what I did:

About 70% of Kaplan, with maybe 600 questions plus the full length tests that they schedule. I also did a ton of graded MEE essays (maybe 25 or so) and about 4 mpt’s in addition to the scheduled ones. I found the MEE to be the hardest portion of the the test and so attacked it the hardest, while doing a steady stream of MBE q’s to stay fresh.

In the last two weeks, I read the shorter book outlines for both MBE and MEE (I think they’re called Bar Points) and found those really helpful—the big books were too long, and I didn’t take notes or outline during the class portion, and I thought the quicksheets didn’t have enough meat on the bones.

Biggest thing for me was staying focused and healthy throughout the process. Eating well, exercising, having some creative projects on the side, and staying a little bit social were crucial. Other than the chance to learn a little bit of law I didn’t have a chance to learn in law school, bar study is a pretty joyless experience, so having other things that made me happy were important.

Good luck to all retakers or future takers! You can do this!!

Congratulations on passing the F19 NY bar exam. Based on your scaled MBE score of 169.2, your estimated raw MBE score was about 165/175 correct (based on the last time an MBE scale was released in 2013). This means you answered about 94.3% of the graded MBE questions correctly. This places you in the 98.8% percentile for the MBE. This means that 1.2% of Feb examinees nationwide did better than you on the MBE based on your scaled MBE score of 169.2 (based on national data for the past 7 years).

Based on a total score of 336, your written score was 166.8, which would have placed you in the 98.1% percentile among examinees nationwide (meaning that 1.9% of examinees nationwide would have scored better than you on the MEE/MPT).

Although NCBE does not release percentiles for total UBE scores, if I average your MBE and written percentiles, this would place you in the 98.5% percentile among examinees nationwide based on your total score of 336 (meaning that 1.6% of examinees nationwide scored better than you on the UBE). Please keep in mind this is just an estimate and may be incorrect.

Great job in your studies. Do you recall your MBE simulated exam scores and overall MBE % correct? I am guessing you were at 70-75% or better.

packer_22

New

Postby packer_22 » Wed Jul 03, 2019 1:40 pm

Joe,

Mike Sims said in the Barbri Livecast today that the highest score on the MBE that he was aware of was a 194. Interesting- that would be 3.5 SDs over a typical July mean. Just wanted to give it to you as a data point. I read through this thread and I didn't see a MBE score over 175.

Thank you for all that you do!

JoeSeperac

Postby JoeSeperac » Thu Jul 04, 2019 1:26 pm

packer_22 wrote:Joe,

Mike Sims said in the Barbri Livecast today that the highest score on the MBE that he was aware of was a 194. Interesting- that would be 3.5 SDs over a typical July mean. Just wanted to give it to you as a data point. I read through this thread and I didn't see a MBE score over 175.

Thank you for all that you do!

Thanks! The highest MBE I was aware of prior to that was a 186. Someone who scores that high must see the MBE the same way Neo sees the Matrix.

HairySmokeball

New

Postby HairySmokeball » Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:56 pm

Joe,

Perhaps you can clarify something for me. On your calculator https://seperac.com/zcalc-mbe-febjuly.php if I put in a % correct, it shows the "estimated" scaled score. As an example, lets say 65% correct. The scaled scores show:

Est. scaled MBE score based on the July 2018 scale 146.1
Est. scaled MBE score based on the July 2017 scale 141.0
Est. scaled MBE score based on the July 2013 scale 140.7

Est. scaled MBE score based on the Feb 2018 scale 133.7
Est. scaled MBE score based on the Feb 2017 scale 136.0
Est. scaled MBE score based on the Feb 2013 scale 139.4

So looking at this, it *appears* that for a given % correct, the scaled score seems to be higher in July...actually by a not so insignificant amount. As I understand scaling, this shouldn't be the case. Can you shed some light on this anomaly?

JoeSeperac

Postby JoeSeperac » Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:49 am

HairySmokeball wrote:Joe,

Perhaps you can clarify something for me. On your calculator https://seperac.com/zcalc-mbe-febjuly.php if I put in a % correct, it shows the "estimated" scaled score. As an example, lets say 65% correct. The scaled scores show:

Est. scaled MBE score based on the July 2018 scale 146.1
Est. scaled MBE score based on the July 2017 scale 141.0
Est. scaled MBE score based on the July 2013 scale 140.7

Est. scaled MBE score based on the Feb 2018 scale 133.7
Est. scaled MBE score based on the Feb 2017 scale 136.0
Est. scaled MBE score based on the Feb 2013 scale 139.4

So looking at this, it *appears* that for a given % correct, the scaled score seems to be higher in July...actually by a not so insignificant amount. As I understand scaling, this shouldn't be the case. Can you shed some light on this anomaly?

First, keep in mind that the recent scales (i.e. 2017-2018) are guesstimates as the last time NCBE released a raw/scaled MBE chart was in 2013. Next, you should look at the average because the scaled to raw scores vary every year. For example, I looked at 31 MBE scales from 1990-2013 where actual data exists. At 65% correct, the highest Feb scaled MBE was 150 while the highest July scaled MBE was 148. The lowest Feb scaled MBE was 137 while the lowest July scaled MBE was 139. The average Feb MBE was 142.8 while the average July MBE was 143.2. So for the upcoming exam, if you average 65% correct on the 175 graded MBE questions, your scaled MBE score could range between 139-148 with an expected score of about 143.

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum?