The "Ask @JoeSeperac" Thread Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
jrc223

Bronze

Re: The "Ask @JoeSeperac" Thread

Post by jrc223 » Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:01 pm

Hey Joe,

J18, Texas, 168.7 MBE. Let me know if you need any additional info!

JoeSeperac

Post by JoeSeperac » Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:18 pm

jrc223 wrote:Hey Joe,

Congratulations on passing the J18 Texas exam. Based on your scaled MBE score of 168.7, your estimated raw MBE score was about 155/175 correct (based on my estimate of the MBE scale). This means you answered about 88.6% of the graded MBE questions correctly. This places you in the 96.1% percentile for the MBE. This means that 3.9% of Jul examinees nationwide did better than you on the MBE based on your scaled MBE score of 168.7 (based on July national data for the past 7 years). Great score!

Do you mind sending me your MBE subscores? The form is here: http://seperac.com/subscoreform.php

This helps me make my MBE scale determination more precise and I can also give you a breakdown of your MBE subscores (I.e. how many raw correct for each subject).

jrc223

Bronze

Post by jrc223 » Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:25 pm

JoeSeperac wrote:
jrc223 wrote:Hey Joe,

Congratulations on passing the J18 Texas exam. Based on your scaled MBE score of 168.7, your estimated raw MBE score was about 155/175 correct (based on my estimate of the MBE scale). This means you answered about 88.6% of the graded MBE questions correctly. This places you in the 96.1% percentile for the MBE. This means that 3.9% of Jul examinees nationwide did better than you on the MBE based on your scaled MBE score of 168.7 (based on July national data for the past 7 years). Great score!

Do you mind sending me your MBE subscores? The form is here: http://seperac.com/subscoreform.php

This helps me make my MBE scale determination more precise and I can also give you a breakdown of your MBE subscores (I.e. how many raw correct for each subject).
Thanks!

Re: subscores, I'm not sure where to access that information--the Texas board of law examiners only provided me with an MBE score and a total score (818) for the bar exam. Are subscores normally provided with exam results?

mo_brien

New

Post by mo_brien » Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:00 am

JoeSeperac wrote:
mo_brien wrote:Hi Joe,

I am yet another requester of your calculations for my scores!

My total UBE score was 304, and my scaled MBE score was 146.

Thanks!
Sorry for the delayed follow up and congratulations on passing the J18 exam. Based on your scaled MBE score of 146, your estimated raw MBE score was about 122/175 correct (based on my estimate of the MBE scale). This means you answered about 69.7% of the graded MBE questions correctly. This places you in the 58.2% percentile for the MBE. This means that 41.8% of Jul examinees nationwide did better than you on the MBE based on your scaled MBE score of 146 (based on July national data for the past 7 years).

Based on a total score of 304, this means your written score was 158, which would have placed you in the 83.2% percentile among examinees nationwide (meaning that 16.8% of examinees nationwide would have scored better than you on the MEE/MPT). Good job!

I am going to guess you did less than 1,000 MBE questions in practice. Let me know.
Hi Joe,

I don't remember how many MBE questions I did, to be honest. I followed the Barbri materials (and completed about 98% of them), but didn't supplement with any extras. I have always felt more comfortable with essays vs multiple choice, which is probably why I did the opposite of what I should have done and didn't practice them more!

OMLS48

New

Post by OMLS48 » Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:43 am

Hey Joe, you're a champion. Can you give me a percentile breakdown of a 158.1 MBE. Passed in TX with a 760 overall.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

RedPonies2018

New

Post by RedPonies2018 » Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:10 am

JoeSeperac wrote:
RedPonies2018 wrote:Joe-

149.9 MBE, Texas
Based on your scaled MBE score of 149.9, your estimated raw MBE score was about 128/175 correct (based on my estimate of the MBE scale). This means you answered about 73.1% of the graded MBE questions correctly. This places you in the 67.4% percentile for the MBE. This means that 32.6% of Jul examinees nationwide did better than you on the MBE based on your scaled MBE score of 149.9 (based on July national data for the past 7 years). On the MBE, examinees usually score close to their MBE practice scores, especially if they have done a large number of MBE questions in practice. How many questions did you answer in practice, from what sources (e.g. Barbri, Kaplan, Adaptibar, NCBE) and what was your overall % correct?
On the Barbri midterm, I scored 108/200. All the questions I used were from Barbri. Towards the end I was probably between 60-65%.

TXLaw2018

New

Post by TXLaw2018 » Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:04 pm

I was very close to RedPonies2018 reality. Passed Texas. Completed 87% of Barbri. Did not supplement with anything else. Scored 120/200 in their midterm and towards the end was between 65% and 70% on practice questions. Real MBE scaled came up to 147.6. I am foreign educated attorney. So, let me know if you need any information that could help future takers with that same profile. Happy to help.

whixer

New

Post by whixer » Mon Nov 05, 2018 3:08 pm

JoeSeperac wrote:Congratulations on passing and those were very good scores for being foreign educated. Based on your scaled MBE score of 153.1, your estimated raw MBE score was about 133/175 correct (based on my estimate of the MBE scale). This means you answered about 76% of the graded MBE questions correctly. This places you in the 74.2% percentile for the MBE. This means that 25.8% of Jul examinees nationwide did better than you on the MBE based on your scaled MBE score of 153.1 (based on July national data for the past 7 years).

Based on a total score of 318, this means your written score was 164.9, which would have placed you in the 93% percentile among examinees nationwide (meaning that 7% of examinees nationwide would have scored better than you on the MEE/MPT).

If you had to attribute your passing to just one thing, what would that be?
I would say just time management. I was working full time so I started studying early. I also didn't want to pay for a bar prep course so I bought some used Themis books. Tried to do around 20 MBE questions a day after work. Spent a couple hours each weekend doing MPT/MEE practice.

cmc032393

New

Post by cmc032393 » Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:31 pm

Hey Joe, can you please analyze my MPRE and NY July 2018 UBE scores

MPRE 116

MBE 153.9 which is crazy bc I only scored a 108 on the barbri midterm and was only getting around 50% correct on the modules towards the end of bar prep.

UBE 320

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

JoeSeperac

Post by JoeSeperac » Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:29 am

jrc223 wrote: Re: subscores, I'm not sure where to access that information--the Texas board of law examiners only provided me with an MBE score and a total score (818) for the bar exam. Are subscores normally provided with exam results?
Some states provide them only if you fail. Other states (e.g. Washington) provide them whether you pass or fail. So today I learned that Texas doesn't provide them if you pass.

JoeSeperac

Post by JoeSeperac » Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:34 am

mo_brien wrote:
JoeSeperac wrote:
mo_brien wrote: I don't remember how many MBE questions I did, to be honest. I followed the Barbri materials (and completed about 98% of them), but didn't supplement with any extras. I have always felt more comfortable with essays vs multiple choice, which is probably why I did the opposite of what I should have done and didn't practice them more!
Thanks. A pass is a pass. BTW, the 20 year pass rate for July NY examinees is 68.8%. Therefore, you needed to be better than about 31% of examinees to pass the exam. Based on your MBE score, you were better than 58% of July examinees nationwide, so I am not surprised that you passed the exam.

JoeSeperac

Post by JoeSeperac » Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:36 am

RedPonies2018 wrote:
JoeSeperac wrote:
RedPonies2018 wrote:Joe-

149.9 MBE, Texas
On the Barbri midterm, I scored 108/200. All the questions I used were from Barbri. Towards the end I was probably between 60-65%.
Thanks. I would have predicted an MBE of 138 so you outperformed on the exam.

JoeSeperac

Post by JoeSeperac » Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:40 am

whixer wrote:
JoeSeperac wrote:Congratulations on passing and those were very good scores for being foreign educated. Based on your scaled MBE score of 153.1, your estimated raw MBE score was about 133/175 correct (based on my estimate of the MBE scale). This means you answered about 76% of the graded MBE questions correctly. This places you in the 74.2% percentile for the MBE. This means that 25.8% of Jul examinees nationwide did better than you on the MBE based on your scaled MBE score of 153.1 (based on July national data for the past 7 years).

Based on a total score of 318, this means your written score was 164.9, which would have placed you in the 93% percentile among examinees nationwide (meaning that 7% of examinees nationwide would have scored better than you on the MEE/MPT).

If you had to attribute your passing to just one thing, what would that be?
I would say just time management. I was working full time so I started studying early. I also didn't want to pay for a bar prep course so I bought some used Themis books. Tried to do around 20 MBE questions a day after work. Spent a couple hours each weekend doing MPT/MEE practice.
Thanks for the follow-up. That's even more impressive given you were working full time and self-studied. MBE scores are very reliable so if you plan to re-take the exam in a non-UBE state within the next few years, if you study roughly the same way, you can expect roughly the same MBE score.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

JoeSeperac

Post by JoeSeperac » Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:48 am

cmc032393 wrote:Hey Joe, can you please analyze my MPRE and NY July 2018 UBE scores

MPRE 116

MBE 153.9 which is crazy bc I only scored a 108 on the barbri midterm and was only getting around 50% correct on the modules towards the end of bar prep.

UBE 320
Congratulations on passing the J18 exam. Based on your scaled MBE score of 153.9, your estimated raw MBE score was about 134/175 correct (based on my estimate of the MBE scale). This means you answered about 76.6% of the graded MBE questions correctly. This places you in the 75.9% percentile for the MBE. This means that 24.1% of July examinees nationwide did better than you on the MBE based on your scaled MBE score of 153.9 (based on July national data for the past 7 years). Based on a total score of 320, this means your written score was 166.1, which would have placed you in the 94% percentile among examinees nationwide (meaning that 6% of examinees nationwide would have scored better than you on the MEE/MPT).

Based on your MPRE score of 116, you answered about 78% correct on the MPRE. According to NCBE, there is a moderately high relationship between MPRE scores and MBE scores (correlation of .58). NCBE also states that MBE scores are a surrogate for total bar exam scores since MBE scores are highly related to total bar exam scores. see http://www.ncbex.org/assets/media_files ... esting.pdf.

So your MPRE did a much better job of predicting your MBE than your practice scores. That means you are a good standardized test-taker (i.e. NCBE exams, not Barbri exams b/c I don't consider bar review MBE question exams to be standardized tests).

FYI, the 20 year pass rate for July NY examinees is 68.8%. Therefore, you needed to be better than about 31% of examinees to pass the exam. Based on your MBE score, you were better than 76% of examinees nationwide, so I am not surprised that you passed the exam.

greatheights

New

Post by greatheights » Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:31 pm

Hi Joe! Would you please give me a breakdown of a 132.6 mbe? Thanks mate!

Nicolena.

Bronze

Post by Nicolena. » Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:23 am

When do you generally post the “SEPERAC MEE MASTER-TOP 50 RELEASED ANSWERS” for February 2019?

JoeSeperac

Post by JoeSeperac » Wed Nov 21, 2018 1:00 am

greatheights wrote:Hi Joe! Would you please give me a breakdown of a 132.6 mbe? Thanks mate!
Based on your scaled MBE score of 132.6, your estimated raw MBE score was about 103/175 correct (based on my estimate of the MBE scale). This means you answered about 58.9% of the graded MBE questions correctly. This places you in the 28.9% percentile for the MBE. This means that 71.1% of Jul examinees nationwide did better than you on the MBE based on your scaled MBE score of 132.6 (based on July national data for the past 7 years).

Did you pass?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

mathandthelaw

New

Post by mathandthelaw » Wed Nov 21, 2018 2:56 pm

JoeSeperac wrote:
greatheights wrote:Hi Joe! Would you please give me a breakdown of a 132.6 mbe? Thanks mate!
Based on your scaled MBE score of 132.6, your estimated raw MBE score was about 103/175 correct (based on my estimate of the MBE scale). This means you answered about 58.9% of the graded MBE questions correctly. This places you in the 28.9% percentile for the MBE. This means that 71.1% of Jul examinees nationwide did better than you on the MBE based on your scaled MBE score of 132.6 (based on July national data for the past 7 years).
Hi Joe! New person here I just wanted to get your attention. I just passed the July 2018 Cal Bar! As you know, I don't have my exact raw MBE. My score advisory report indicates that my MBE was at or above 145 to 149. Do you mind providing me with a range of what my estimated raw MBE score could be? Thanks in advance. I found your analysis to be very helpful and crazy accurate, and your analysis made me feel like, yes I can pass this thing! I recommend you to all of my friends, of course, the ones who have been studying very hard and will actually benefit from a bar score analysis.

My essays and PT I knew were strengths considering Barbri graded me at around 65-85s on all of my essays and PTs. I was getting around 80% on Adaptibar and around 67-75% on Barbri. I'm delighted to see that I was reasonably above the average MBE, given I knew the MBE was not my strength and how difficult the MBE was.

CLSGumbo

New

Post by CLSGumbo » Wed Nov 21, 2018 4:47 pm

Hey joe what does a 176.5 MBE score mean?

brorepresentation1

New

Post by brorepresentation1 » Fri Nov 23, 2018 2:12 am

mathandthelaw wrote:
JoeSeperac wrote:
Hi Joe! New person here I just wanted to get your attention. I just passed the July 2018 Cal Bar! As you know, I don't have my exact raw MBE. My score advisory report indicates that my MBE was at or above 145 to 149. Do you mind providing me with a range of what my estimated raw MBE score could be? Thanks in advance. I found your analysis to be very helpful and crazy accurate, and your analysis made me feel like, yes I can pass this thing! I recommend you to all of my friends, of course, the ones who have been studying very hard and will actually benefit from a bar score analysis.

My essays and PT I knew were strengths considering Barbri graded me at around 65-85s on all of my essays and PTs. I was getting around 80% on Adaptibar and around 67-75% on Barbri. I'm delighted to see that I was reasonably above the average MBE, given I knew the MBE was not my strength and how difficult the MBE was.
same exact question..... ca... above or at 145 to 149. What does this mean?

JoeSeperac

Post by JoeSeperac » Sat Nov 24, 2018 1:54 pm

CLSGumbo wrote:Hey joe what does a 176.5 MBE score mean?
It means you crushed the MBE. Based on your scaled MBE score of 176.5, your estimated raw MBE score was about 166/175 correct (based on my estimate of the MBE scale). This means you answered about 94.9% of the graded MBE questions correctly. This places you in the 99.3% percentile for the MBE. This means that 0.7% of July examinees nationwide did better than you on the MBE based on your scaled MBE score of 176.5 (based on July national data for the past 7 years).

I'm assuming you took NY. The 20 year pass rate for July NY examinees is 68.8%. Therefore, you needed to be better than about 31% of examinees to pass the exam. Based on your MBE score, you were better than 99% of examinees nationwide, so its no surprised at all that you passed the exam.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

JoeSeperac

Post by JoeSeperac » Sat Nov 24, 2018 2:10 pm

brorepresentation1 wrote:
mathandthelaw wrote:
JoeSeperac wrote:

same exact question..... ca... above or at 145 to 149. What does this mean?
I estimate a J18 scaled MBE between 145-149 to be between 120-126 raw correct or about 68%-73% correct.This places you in the 56th-65th percentile for the MBE. The 20 year pass rate for July CA examinees is 53.5%. Therefore, you needed to be better than about 47% of examinees to pass the exam. Based on a 145-149 MBE score, you would have been better than 56-65% of examinees nationwide.

JoeSeperac

Post by JoeSeperac » Sat Nov 24, 2018 2:24 pm

mathandthelaw wrote:
JoeSeperac wrote:

Congratulations on passing! If I estimate your scaled MBE score to be 147, your estimated raw MBE score would be about 124/175 correct (based on my estimate of the MBE scale). This means you answered about 70.9% of the graded MBE questions correctly. This places you in the 60.5% percentile for the MBE. This means that 39.5% of Jul examinees nationwide did better than you on the MBE based on your scaled MBE score of 147 (based on July national data for the past 7 years). So you were right on point with your BARBRI practice and also your ADAPTIBAR practice (Adaptibar percentages usually run about 10% higher than what examinees actually score)

mathandthelaw

New

Post by mathandthelaw » Sat Nov 24, 2018 7:15 pm

JoeSeperac wrote:
mathandthelaw wrote:
JoeSeperac wrote:

Congratulations on passing! If I estimate your scaled MBE score to be 147, your estimated raw MBE score would be about 124/175 correct (based on my estimate of the MBE scale). This means you answered about 70.9% of the graded MBE questions correctly. This places you in the 60.5% percentile for the MBE. This means that 39.5% of Jul examinees nationwide did better than you on the MBE based on your scaled MBE score of 147 (based on July national data for the past 7 years). So you were right on point with your BARBRI practice and also your ADAPTIBAR practice (Adaptibar percentages usually run about 10% higher than what examinees actually score)
Yeah, my practice multiple choice scores were pretty accurate! Thank you so much!

LawSch00lLurker

New

Post by LawSch00lLurker » Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:35 pm

Hi Joe,

Thanks for all the hard work you put into gathering this data. I took the J18 NY Bar and scored 142.2 on the MBE and a 278 overall. I also scored 127/200 on the Barbri Midterm and 64/100 on the Barbri Refresher. Could you give me a breakdown of my numbers? I am happy that I passed but curious to see where I sit on the curve as well as how much I under performed on the actual exam compared to my practice exams.

Thanks so much! Your work does NOT go unappreciated.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”