New York UBE Venue Email Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
ToastMalone

New

New York UBE Venue Email

Post by ToastMalone » Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:03 pm

Does anyone understand how testing locations are assigned for out-of-state residents? We just got an email saying that "you will NOT be assigned to a test site in New York City or Westchester.... all out-of-state residents will be assigned to sit for the exam in Albany, Buffalo or Saratoga Springs. No exceptions will be made to this policy."

However, on the New York Bar's website it says:

The Board has changed its policy concerning Test Center assignments. Seating is no longer based on the applicant’s residential address as provided by the applicant on the bar exam application. Test Center assignments will be based on availability and on a first come, first-served basis at the time of the Board’s seating assignment email. No applicant is guaranteed a seat in any particular city or test center, even if the applicant lives or attended law school in that city. The Board’s seating assignment email is sent out after the application period closes (usually in early June for a July exam and early January for a February exam) and instructs applicants to select a test location from the list of available locations in the email. Only locations with available seats will be listed in the email. First-time applicants who graduate with a Juris Doctor degree from a New York State law school will be given the first opportunity to select a location

So which is it? People are "assigned" testing locations, and OOS people can only choose from Albany, Buffalo or Saratoga Springs? Or its first come, first serve, and anyone can pick any location as long as its still open?

sweetheart

New

Re: New York UBE Venue Email

Post by sweetheart » Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:20 pm

Me too i have noticed the same thing.I was about to contact them.Thanks that you bring it up.May be we will get answers soon.

b290

Bronze

Post by b290 » Sat May 05, 2018 7:00 am

ToastMalone wrote:So which is it? People are "assigned" testing locations, and OOS people can only choose from Albany, Buffalo or Saratoga Springs? Or its first come, first serve, and anyone can pick any location as long as its still open?
It's both actually. See below
ToastMalone wrote:Seating is no longer based on the applicant’s residential address as provided by the applicant on the bar exam application. Test Center assignments will be based on availability and on a first come, first-served basis at the time of the Board’s seating assignment email. No applicant is guaranteed a seat in any particular city or test center, even if the applicant lives or attended law school in that city.
The residence issue was really relevant for NYC area spots. The BOLE (at least as of 2015) used to let almost exclusively those who resided in the 1st and 2nd Depts in selecting NYC area testing sites. But this February, BOLE sent the selection email first to those who went to law school in the NYC area (regardless of residence). By the time out-of-staters got the emails - as much as 2 days later - the NYC area spots were gone.
ToastMalone wrote:Does anyone understand how testing locations are assigned for out-of-state residents? We just got an email saying that "you will NOT be assigned to a test site in New York City or Westchester.... all out-of-state residents will be assigned to sit for the exam in Albany, Buffalo or Saratoga Springs. No exceptions will be made to this policy."
This is just a reflection of the above. Even under the previous policy, being from out-of-state, and getting a NYC area spot was akin to winning the lottery (esp in Feb). So there are no guarantees to any site. What you get is what is available - when you get the email. Technically, if those who get the email first don't select the Javits Center/White Plains, its still available to those later. It's not a guarantee, but an opportunity to choose. That's how BOLE gets away with the above. Unless the BOLE goes to a pure random sending process, just plan on not being in the NYC area for the bar exam (if you're from out-of-state).

My $.02

Neilt001

Post by Neilt001 » Mon May 07, 2018 1:00 pm

ToastMalone wrote:Does anyone understand how testing locations are assigned for out-of-state residents? We just got an email saying that "you will NOT be assigned to a test site in New York City or Westchester.... all out-of-state residents will be assigned to sit for the exam in Albany, Buffalo or Saratoga Springs. No exceptions will be made to this policy."

The Board has changed its policy concerning Test Center assignments. Seating is no longer based on the applicant’s residential address as provided by the applicant on the bar exam application. Test Center assignments will be based on availability and on a first come, first-served basis at the time of the Board’s seating assignment email. No applicant is guaranteed a seat in any particular city or test center, even if the applicant lives or attended law school in that city. The Board’s seating assignment email is sent out after the application period closes (usually in early June for a July exam and early January for a February exam) and instructs applicants to select a test location from the list of available locations in the email. Only locations with available seats will be listed in the email. First-time applicants who graduate with a Juris Doctor degree from a New York State law school will be given the first opportunity to select a location

So which is it? People are "assigned" testing locations, and OOS people can only choose from Albany, Buffalo or Saratoga Springs? Or its first come, first serve, and anyone can pick any location as long as its still open?
I'm from overseas and managed to secure manhattan (Armory) for Feb 2018. I just got lucky and saw the email come in right away. First in best dressed basically.

IVChioco

New

Post by IVChioco » Mon May 07, 2018 2:56 pm

Hi, I took (and thankfully passed!) the July 2017 New York Bar Exam, so I hope this helps. I was out-of-state (home state is Tennessee, went to law school in Indiana) and had to wait for the venue e-mail, which you should receive sometime in June. Basically, the New York City locations are ruled out for out-of-state people. The e-mail will let you choose between Albany, Buffalo, White Plains, and Saratoga. You'll have the option of choosing between any of the locations so long as there are seats available. I opened up the e-mail about an hour after it was sent out, and one of the locations in Albany was already filled, so seating goes fast. Last year, the same e-mail also allowed us to reserve our lunches for both days, which I highly recommend doing. They give you enough to eat and drink and it's much more convenient than having to walk a few blocks to get lunch.

I ended up choosing Buffalo and thought it was a good location.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

lilkim12

New

Post by lilkim12 » Mon May 07, 2018 3:55 pm

Just got this email as well. So I am originally from NY, and my permanent residence is in NY, yet I go to school out of state- so I guess therefore i am considered an out of stater? Not really sure how this works

b290

Bronze

Post by b290 » Mon May 07, 2018 6:14 pm

IVChioco wrote:Hi, I took (and thankfully passed!) the July 2017 New York Bar Exam, so I hope this helps. I was out-of-state (home state is Tennessee, went to law school in Indiana) and had to wait for the venue e-mail, which you should receive sometime in June. Basically, the New York City locations are ruled out for out-of-state people. The e-mail will let you choose between Albany, Buffalo, White Plains, and Saratoga. You'll have the option of choosing between any of the locations so long as there are seats available. I opened up the e-mail about an hour after it was sent out, and one of the locations in Albany was already filled, so seating goes fast. Last year, the same e-mail also allowed us to reserve our lunches for both days, which I highly recommend doing. They give you enough to eat and drink and it's much more convenient than having to walk a few blocks to get lunch.

I ended up choosing Buffalo and thought it was a good location.
I also chose Buffalo. It's a great site, accommodations are super cheap (which made it easier to budget), and everyone (even the administrators) were super nice. I really couldn't complain.

My $.02

JBNYC

New

Post by JBNYC » Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:22 pm

Neilt001 wrote:

I'm from overseas and managed to secure manhattan (Armory) for Feb 2018. I just got lucky and saw the email come in right away. First in best dressed basically.
Hi Neilt001 - I'm planning on sitting the Feb 2019 exam, and was wondering if you recall the date in Jan 2018 that you received your seating assignment email? I'll be overseas in a totally opposite timezone (Australia) when the email alert comes out in Jan 2019, so just want to make sure I'm up checking my emails at night around the right time! Thanks, JBNYC.

Neilt001

Post by Neilt001 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:31 pm

JBNYC wrote:
Neilt001 wrote:

Hi Neilt001 - I'm planning on sitting the Feb 2019 exam, and was wondering if you recall the date in Jan 2018 that you received your seating assignment email? I'll be overseas in a totally opposite timezone (Australia) when the email alert comes out in Jan 2019, so just want to make sure I'm up checking my emails at night around the right time! Thanks, JBNYC.
Hi there! Unfortunately I can't remember when it came out, but I'm thinking early january? I had actually already booked a hotel in Albany, assuming as a foreigner that I would definitely be writing there. And also those hotels book out well in advance (as in, there's unlikely to be many left as we speak).

Anyway, I was living just an our off the Easter time zone and was at work when the email came in, so I quickly logged in and nabbed the Armory.

So I'm sorry I can't be of more assistance. Obviously very difficult being in Australia. I fear you may just have to check your email as soon as you wake up and do your best. One good thing is that the Feb sitting is not as crowded, and so you may be able to nab a Manhattan spot even with a slight delay.

Let me know if any other questions. GOod luck!!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

JBNYC

New

Post by JBNYC » Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:41 pm

Thanks for the tips! I've actually booked a hotel in Albany as a precautionary measure already, but hope to nab a spot in Manhattan if I'm up when the mail comes through. Fingers crossed! :)
Neilt001 wrote:
JBNYC wrote:
Neilt001 wrote:

Hi there! Unfortunately I can't remember when it came out, but I'm thinking early january? I had actually already booked a hotel in Albany, assuming as a foreigner that I would definitely be writing there. And also those hotels book out well in advance (as in, there's unlikely to be many left as we speak).

Anyway, I was living just an our off the Easter time zone and was at work when the email came in, so I quickly logged in and nabbed the Armory.

So I'm sorry I can't be of more assistance. Obviously very difficult being in Australia. I fear you may just have to check your email as soon as you wake up and do your best. One good thing is that the Feb sitting is not as crowded, and so you may be able to nab a Manhattan spot even with a slight delay.

Let me know if any other questions. GOod luck!!

Neilt001

Post by Neilt001 » Fri Dec 14, 2018 8:29 pm

JBNYC wrote:Thanks for the tips! I've actually booked a hotel in Albany as a precautionary measure already, but hope to nab a spot in Manhattan if I'm up when the mail comes through. Fingers crossed! :)
Perfect. That's the best way to go. GOod luck and hope it works out!
Last edited by QContinuum on Sat Dec 15, 2018 12:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed quote formatting for OP.

sg.cambs

New

Post by sg.cambs » Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:07 am

Has anyone had any news? Would be good to know if the NYers/anyone else who gets first pick have received their emails.

LurknessMonster

New

Post by LurknessMonster » Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:38 pm

Got the email about 30 minutes ago. First time taker and NY law school

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

lex929

New

Post by lex929 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:59 am

I wonder how long after the NY school applicants get their first pick do they send out the other emails. First time taker from the UK here eager to get my flights booked :)

Honikane

New

Post by Honikane » Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:10 pm

Out of State repeater. Received the email at 11am and was able to choose NYC.

luisenriquediazpaez

New

Post by luisenriquediazpaez » Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:57 pm

I got my email at 11:01am. I was able to select NYC (laptop). Foreign Bar Taker.

JoJePa

New

Re: New York UBE Venue Email for Feb 2020

Post by JoJePa » Sat Jan 04, 2020 4:13 am

Please let me know when (date and time) anyone gets the location email for the UBE Feb 2020 NY so I can keep an eye out on my notifications. Non-US resident and keen to book flights/accommodation. Cheers.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

QContinuum

Post by QContinuum » Mon Jan 06, 2020 3:51 pm

JoJePa wrote:Please let me know when (date and time) anyone gets the location email for the UBE Feb 2020 NY so I can keep an eye out on my notifications. Non-US resident and keen to book flights/accommodation. Cheers.
In case it helps, the Board has, at least in the past, reserved chunks of convenient hotel rooms at a discounted rate for bar examinees, so don't worry too much about not being able to snag a room.

Also, in case it helps: Notifications go out first to first-time applicants who received a J.D. from a NY State law school. Then, a day later (at least in the past), to everyone else. Anyone who's not in the first camp (first-time applicant with a J.D. from a NY State law school) should expect to test in Albany or Buffalo. As far as I know, notifications are no longer based on residency (though they used to be).

Summerheightshigh

New

Post by Summerheightshigh » Mon Jan 06, 2020 6:11 pm

First time bar taker, taking in New York as PBS. I got the email this morning around 11:00am.

JoJePa

New

Post by JoJePa » Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:16 am

Summerheightshigh wrote:First time bar taker, taking in New York as PBS. I got the email this morning around 11:00am.
Thanks for posting. No email yet, so perhaps today for non-US folk...any preference between Albany and Buffalo in terms of a place to hang out for a week as I’ll arrive a week or so early to study and drink. Just joking. To study and freak out.

JoJePa

New

Post by JoJePa » Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:22 am

QContinuum wrote:
JoJePa wrote:Please let me know when (date and time) anyone gets the location email for the UBE Feb 2020 NY so I can keep an eye out on my notifications. Non-US resident and keen to book flights/accommodation. Cheers.
In case it helps, the Board has, at least in the past, reserved chunks of convenient hotel rooms at a discounted rate for bar examinees, so don't worry too much about not being able to snag a room.

Also, in case it helps: Notifications go out first to first-time applicants who received a J.D. from a NY State law school. Then, a day later (at least in the past), to everyone else. Anyone who's not in the first camp (first-time applicant with a J.D. from a NY State law school) should expect to test in Albany or Buffalo. As far as I know, notifications are no longer based on residency (though they used to be).
Cool thanks v much. Any general consensus as to preferable exam location between Albany and Buffalo since I have to hop a flight to one and I’ve got cancellable hotel reservations in both places?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

lolabear727

Bronze

Post by lolabear727 » Tue Jan 07, 2020 12:08 pm

Thought this email was coming at 11:01.. it’s 11:08. No email. Wtf... I can’t refresh all day.

QContinuum

Post by QContinuum » Tue Jan 07, 2020 2:45 pm

JoJePa wrote:Cool thanks v much. Any general consensus as to preferable exam location between Albany and Buffalo since I have to hop a flight to one and I’ve got cancellable hotel reservations in both places?
Not aware of a consensus - I think people generally choose between the two based on how (relatively) easy it is to get to from where they're flying from. I haven't heard any horror stories about either site.

lolabear727

Bronze

Post by lolabear727 » Tue Jan 07, 2020 4:05 pm

Got my seat email at 2:57pm EST. Today. Got NYC. Shocked.

lolabear727

Bronze

Post by lolabear727 » Tue Jan 07, 2020 4:14 pm

QContinuum wrote:

How do we go about getting that info regarding the room blocks? Just calling BOLE?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”