New York UBE Venue Email

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
ToastMalone

New

New York UBE Venue Email

Postby ToastMalone » Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:03 pm

Does anyone understand how testing locations are assigned for out-of-state residents? We just got an email saying that "you will NOT be assigned to a test site in New York City or Westchester.... all out-of-state residents will be assigned to sit for the exam in Albany, Buffalo or Saratoga Springs. No exceptions will be made to this policy."

However, on the New York Bar's website it says:

The Board has changed its policy concerning Test Center assignments. Seating is no longer based on the applicant’s residential address as provided by the applicant on the bar exam application. Test Center assignments will be based on availability and on a first come, first-served basis at the time of the Board’s seating assignment email. No applicant is guaranteed a seat in any particular city or test center, even if the applicant lives or attended law school in that city. The Board’s seating assignment email is sent out after the application period closes (usually in early June for a July exam and early January for a February exam) and instructs applicants to select a test location from the list of available locations in the email. Only locations with available seats will be listed in the email. First-time applicants who graduate with a Juris Doctor degree from a New York State law school will be given the first opportunity to select a location

So which is it? People are "assigned" testing locations, and OOS people can only choose from Albany, Buffalo or Saratoga Springs? Or its first come, first serve, and anyone can pick any location as long as its still open?

sweetheart

New

Re: New York UBE Venue Email

Postby sweetheart » Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:20 pm

Me too i have noticed the same thing.I was about to contact them.Thanks that you bring it up.May be we will get answers soon.

b290

Bronze

Postby b290 » Sat May 05, 2018 7:00 am

ToastMalone wrote:So which is it? People are "assigned" testing locations, and OOS people can only choose from Albany, Buffalo or Saratoga Springs? Or its first come, first serve, and anyone can pick any location as long as its still open?

It's both actually. See below

ToastMalone wrote:Seating is no longer based on the applicant’s residential address as provided by the applicant on the bar exam application. Test Center assignments will be based on availability and on a first come, first-served basis at the time of the Board’s seating assignment email. No applicant is guaranteed a seat in any particular city or test center, even if the applicant lives or attended law school in that city.

The residence issue was really relevant for NYC area spots. The BOLE (at least as of 2015) used to let almost exclusively those who resided in the 1st and 2nd Depts in selecting NYC area testing sites. But this February, BOLE sent the selection email first to those who went to law school in the NYC area (regardless of residence). By the time out-of-staters got the emails - as much as 2 days later - the NYC area spots were gone.

ToastMalone wrote:Does anyone understand how testing locations are assigned for out-of-state residents? We just got an email saying that "you will NOT be assigned to a test site in New York City or Westchester.... all out-of-state residents will be assigned to sit for the exam in Albany, Buffalo or Saratoga Springs. No exceptions will be made to this policy."

This is just a reflection of the above. Even under the previous policy, being from out-of-state, and getting a NYC area spot was akin to winning the lottery (esp in Feb). So there are no guarantees to any site. What you get is what is available - when you get the email. Technically, if those who get the email first don't select the Javits Center/White Plains, its still available to those later. It's not a guarantee, but an opportunity to choose. That's how BOLE gets away with the above. Unless the BOLE goes to a pure random sending process, just plan on not being in the NYC area for the bar exam (if you're from out-of-state).

My $.02

Neilt001

Bronze

Postby Neilt001 » Mon May 07, 2018 1:00 pm

ToastMalone wrote:Does anyone understand how testing locations are assigned for out-of-state residents? We just got an email saying that "you will NOT be assigned to a test site in New York City or Westchester.... all out-of-state residents will be assigned to sit for the exam in Albany, Buffalo or Saratoga Springs. No exceptions will be made to this policy."

The Board has changed its policy concerning Test Center assignments. Seating is no longer based on the applicant’s residential address as provided by the applicant on the bar exam application. Test Center assignments will be based on availability and on a first come, first-served basis at the time of the Board’s seating assignment email. No applicant is guaranteed a seat in any particular city or test center, even if the applicant lives or attended law school in that city. The Board’s seating assignment email is sent out after the application period closes (usually in early June for a July exam and early January for a February exam) and instructs applicants to select a test location from the list of available locations in the email. Only locations with available seats will be listed in the email. First-time applicants who graduate with a Juris Doctor degree from a New York State law school will be given the first opportunity to select a location

So which is it? People are "assigned" testing locations, and OOS people can only choose from Albany, Buffalo or Saratoga Springs? Or its first come, first serve, and anyone can pick any location as long as its still open?

I'm from overseas and managed to secure manhattan (Armory) for Feb 2018. I just got lucky and saw the email come in right away. First in best dressed basically.

Neilt001

Bronze

Postby Neilt001 » Mon May 07, 2018 1:00 pm

I'm from overseas and managed to secure manhattan (Armory) for Feb 2018. I just got lucky and saw the email come in right away. First in best dressed basically.

IVChioco

New

Postby IVChioco » Mon May 07, 2018 2:56 pm

Hi, I took (and thankfully passed!) the July 2017 New York Bar Exam, so I hope this helps. I was out-of-state (home state is Tennessee, went to law school in Indiana) and had to wait for the venue e-mail, which you should receive sometime in June. Basically, the New York City locations are ruled out for out-of-state people. The e-mail will let you choose between Albany, Buffalo, White Plains, and Saratoga. You'll have the option of choosing between any of the locations so long as there are seats available. I opened up the e-mail about an hour after it was sent out, and one of the locations in Albany was already filled, so seating goes fast. Last year, the same e-mail also allowed us to reserve our lunches for both days, which I highly recommend doing. They give you enough to eat and drink and it's much more convenient than having to walk a few blocks to get lunch.

I ended up choosing Buffalo and thought it was a good location.

lilkim12

New

Postby lilkim12 » Mon May 07, 2018 3:55 pm

Just got this email as well. So I am originally from NY, and my permanent residence is in NY, yet I go to school out of state- so I guess therefore i am considered an out of stater? Not really sure how this works

b290

Bronze

Postby b290 » Mon May 07, 2018 6:14 pm

IVChioco wrote:Hi, I took (and thankfully passed!) the July 2017 New York Bar Exam, so I hope this helps. I was out-of-state (home state is Tennessee, went to law school in Indiana) and had to wait for the venue e-mail, which you should receive sometime in June. Basically, the New York City locations are ruled out for out-of-state people. The e-mail will let you choose between Albany, Buffalo, White Plains, and Saratoga. You'll have the option of choosing between any of the locations so long as there are seats available. I opened up the e-mail about an hour after it was sent out, and one of the locations in Albany was already filled, so seating goes fast. Last year, the same e-mail also allowed us to reserve our lunches for both days, which I highly recommend doing. They give you enough to eat and drink and it's much more convenient than having to walk a few blocks to get lunch.

I ended up choosing Buffalo and thought it was a good location.

I also chose Buffalo. It's a great site, accommodations are super cheap (which made it easier to budget), and everyone (even the administrators) were super nice. I really couldn't complain.

My $.02

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum?