What is the lowest total you can get on the MEE/MPT? Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
jrstephens1991

Bronze

What is the lowest total you can get on the MEE/MPT?

Post by jrstephens1991 » Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:28 pm

Can someone answer this? Also, whether it makes a difference if you're in a jurisdiction that give 4 or 6 essays?

JoeSeperac

Re: What is the lowest total you can get on the MEE/MPT?

Post by JoeSeperac » Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:04 pm

Do you mean if you write nothing? If so, in NY you would get about 6-7 UBE points for each blank MEE and 7 UBE points for each blank MPT for a total of about 55 UBE points for writing nothing. This calculator will give you a good idea of what you need to do on the J18 UBE exam:
https://seperac.com/zcalc-ube-j17.php

Put in 22 for a blank MEE answer, 47 for an exactly passing MEE answer, or 70 for an excellent MEE answer.

jrstephens1991

Bronze

Post by jrstephens1991 » Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:09 pm

JoeSeperac wrote:Do you mean if you write nothing? If so, in NY you would get about 6-7 UBE points for each blank MEE and 7 UBE points for each blank MPT for a total of about 55 UBE points for writing nothing. This calculator will give you a good idea of what you need to do on the J18 UBE exam:
https://seperac.com/zcalc-ube-j17.php

Put in 22 for a blank MEE answer, 47 for an exactly passing MEE answer, or 70 for an excellent MEE answer.
How do you put the numbers in if your jurisdiction only does 4 essays?

JoeSeperac

Post by JoeSeperac » Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:50 pm

I don't have calculators for those jurisdictions because I don't have enough scores from them. That's kind of why I am on here right now. I basically need a lot of scores to figure out the scale and then I can make a bar exam score calculator for that state. So if you know others from your state that want to send me their scores, I would be happy to build a calculator for that state (I can also give free score reports that I explain here: https://seperac.com/scoreform.php). You can make a throw-away email, I don't care as long as I get the data.

Jdsquared87

New

Post by Jdsquared87 » Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:06 pm

JoeSeperac wrote:I don't have calculators for those jurisdictions because I don't have enough scores from them. That's kind of why I am on here right now. I basically need a lot of scores to figure out the scale and then I can make a bar exam score calculator for that state. So if you know others from your state that want to send me their scores, I would be happy to build a calculator for that state (I can also give free score reports that I explain here: https://seperac.com/scoreform.php). You can make a throw-away email, I don't care as long as I get the data.
Hey joe!!

Im a 1st time nj examinee and really stressed about the results. According to the statistics, the 1st time mbe mean is a 135. I feel like i did very well on the 1st mpt and pretty well on the 2nd mpt. As far as the essays go, the first two i felt very confident about, however by the last two i was running out of time. I was able to organize (with headers) and analyze but not to my liking. The other 2 essays were okay (i guess). I'd love to use your calculator but Im not sure what to give myself score wise. Any words of advice other than whats said above?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

JoeSeperac

Post by JoeSeperac » Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:38 pm

Jdsquared87 wrote:Hey joe!! Im a 1st time nj examinee and really stressed about the results. According to the statistics, the 1st time mbe mean is a 135. I feel like i did very well on the 1st mpt and pretty well on the 2nd mpt. As far as the essays go, the first two i felt very confident about, however by the last two i was running out of time. I was able to organize (with headers) and analyze but not to my liking. The other 2 essays were okay (i guess). I'd love to use your calculator but Im not sure what to give myself score wise. Any words of advice other than whats said above?
Forget about how you think you did on the MEE/MPT and do two things:
1. Plug in your info here and tell me what UBE score is predicted: https://www.seperac.com/zcalc-passcalc.php
2. Tell me what your overall % correct was in MBE practice along with how many questions you answered and from what sources (e.g. Barbri, NCBE, Kaplan, etc)

Believe it or not, that's what matters. For example, someone on here posted the below just a day or so ago. I see this all the time which is why I never rely on post-exam MEE/MPT assessments. It's what you did to get to that point that matters more.

157.9 MBE 146 Written!

1. I completely forgot that undue influence was a thing on the family law question and blathered on about duress because I could not for the life of me remember undue influence
2. didn't get the name of any of the present covenents correct and only got the elements of one of the three vaguely correct
3. completely missed the mark on what the hell they were asking with the sanctions question regarding "who can be sanctioned" and rambled on with an argument about why only the lawyer is sanctioned and not the client rather than saying anything about the lawyer's firm, and the rest of that answer was just me barfing up the vague principal that sanctions are only appropriate for egregious conduct and blah blah blah
4. garbled the language of m'naughten and sort of gave something closer to the model penal code definition instead.

And that's just the stuff I stewed on, I completely tunnel visioned the partnership question and have no idea what I wrote, and I can't even remember what the other question was.

Jdsquared87

New

Post by Jdsquared87 » Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:09 pm

JoeSeperac wrote:
Jdsquared87 wrote:Hey joe!! Im a 1st time nj examinee and really stressed about the results. According to the statistics, the 1st time mbe mean is a 135. I feel like i did very well on the 1st mpt and pretty well on the 2nd mpt. As far as the essays go, the first two i felt very confident about, however by the last two i was running out of time. I was able to organize (with headers) and analyze but not to my liking. The other 2 essays were okay (i guess). I'd love to use your calculator but Im not sure what to give myself score wise. Any words of advice other than whats said above?
1. Plug in your info here and tell me what UBE score is predicted: https://www.seperac.com/zcalc-passcalc.php
2. Tell me what your overall % correct was in MBE practice along with how many questions you answered and from what sources (e.g. Barbri, NCBE, Kaplan, etc)

Believe it or not, that's what matters. For example, someone on here posted the below just a day or so ago. I see this all the time which is why I never rely on post-exam MEE/MPT assessments. It's what you did to get to that point that matters more.

157.9 MBE 146 Written!

1. I completely forgot that undue influence was a thing on the family law question and blathered on about duress because I could not for the life of me remember undue influence
2. didn't get the name of any of the present covenents correct and only got the elements of one of the three vaguely correct
3. completely missed the mark on what the hell they were asking with the sanctions question regarding "who can be sanctioned" and rambled on with an argument about why only the lawyer is sanctioned and not the client rather than saying anything about the lawyer's firm, and the rest of that answer was just me barfing up the vague principal that sanctions are only appropriate for egregious conduct and blah blah blah
4. garbled the language of m'naughten and sort of gave something closer to the model penal code definition instead.

And that's just the stuff I stewed on, I completely tunnel visioned the partnership question and have no idea what I wrote, and I can't even remember what the other question was.

UBE prediction score is 287. I was scoring 65 to 75% consistently on all kaplan qbank questions but bombed the midterm with a 50 and final with a 51% because i was distracted throughout the test at home (husband was home both days and i kept having to pause the exams and go back). God I hope i pass this thing.

Jdsquared87

New

Post by Jdsquared87 » Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:17 pm

JoeSeperac wrote:

157.9 MBE 146 Written!

Sorry, i left out that i completed 2000 of the kaplan questions.

The story of the performance above is exactly what i did, almost to the t. Crazy.

JoeSeperac

Post by JoeSeperac » Wed Apr 25, 2018 6:11 am

Jdsquared87 wrote:UBE prediction score is 287. I was scoring 65 to 75% consistently on all kaplan qbank questions but bombed the midterm with a 50 and final with a 51% because i was distracted throughout the test at home (husband was home both days and i kept having to pause the exams and go back). God I hope i pass this thing.
Bombing the simulated exams is a concern but if you are confident it was due to the interruptions and not due to test anxiety, I am reasonable confident you will end up in the 290s range because Kaplan qbank questions are in the more difficult range of questions and 65-75% on them is very good (usually indicative of an MBE of 150+). I would have loved if you had also included some recent NCBE questions in your practice (OPE or MBE Study Aid) - that would have really given me a better picture of your expected performance.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Jdsquared87

New

Post by Jdsquared87 » Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:13 am

JoeSeperac wrote:
Jdsquared87 wrote:UBE prediction score is 287. I was scoring 65 to 75% consistently on all kaplan qbank questions but bombed the midterm with a 50 and final with a 51% because i was distracted throughout the test at home (husband was home both days and i kept having to pause the exams and go back). God I hope i pass this thing.
Bombing the simulated exams is a concern but if you are confident it was due to the interruptions and not due to test anxiety, I am reasonable confident you will end up in the 290s range because Kaplan qbank questions are in the more difficult range of questions and 65-75% on them is very good (usually indicative of an MBE of 150+). I would have loved if you had also included some recent NCBE questions in your practice (OPE or MBE Study Aid) - that would have really given me a better picture of your expected performance.
Im 100% positive it was due to outside interruptions. I didnt really struggle terribly with the real mbe and finished both sections with 25 minutes to spare, unlike the simulated exams, and i had time to go back and review the qs i marked as having difficulty with and determine whether i had chosen the appropriate answer.

And again, the checkpoint quizzes are timed and other qbank question exams i took off of tutor mode and i never had an issue with anxiety or time. I really kept my cool on exam days and felt okay walking out but the more time has passed, the more im questioning myself.

Jdsquared87

New

Post by Jdsquared87 » Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:15 am

JoeSeperac wrote:

If i end up having to take the exam again...i will include ncbe qs and contact you again! Thanks for everything!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”