Vyvance/Adderall For Bar Prep? Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Lawworld19

Bronze

Vyvance/Adderall For Bar Prep?

Post by Lawworld19 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:57 pm

Always had slight ADHD, went to dr, said to take vyvance. Bar exam coming up in July. Anyone else do this or take this route? Helpful? Heard it can hurt performance on MBE

b290

Bronze

Re: Vyvance/Adderall For Bar Prep?

Post by b290 » Sun May 06, 2018 5:21 am

Lawworld19 wrote:Always had slight ADHD, went to dr, said to take vyvance. Bar exam coming up in July. Anyone else do this or take this route? Helpful? Heard it can hurt performance on MBE
I know of people who have done (and are doing) it, but they used it before the bar exam. Drugs affect people in different ways.

One thing you're not thinking about - as a Schedule 2 drug (under the Controlled Substances Act), you'll need to report it on your C & F application. Even if you may have a history of ADHD, that you "magically" decided to use it for the bar exam gives the perception that you would go to any length - including taking drugs - to get your desired result. A lack of history of previous usage would reinforce this perception.

People do get denied for such things. There's no point in passing the exam if you can't practice.

My $.02

cj_dawhg713

New

Post by cj_dawhg713 » Sun May 06, 2018 2:08 pm

Above poster is expressing and overabundance of caution with regard to a legitimately prescribed drug.

If you are prescribed it by your doctor and you would like to take it, go ahead. It can help.

b290

Bronze

Post by b290 » Sun May 06, 2018 2:52 pm

cj_dawhg713 wrote:Above poster is expressing and overabundance of caution with regard to a legitimately prescribed drug.

If you are prescribed it by your doctor and you would like to take it, go ahead. It can help.
No. You’ve missed my point. Alcoholism is actually legal, yet you have to report your character and fitness. It has nothing to do with “legality,” as it does with a user’s history with the substance.

I personally don’t see an issue with it, but I’m not the character and fitness board. C & F is the final screening before licensure and it’s actually hard to be dis-barred. C & F boards know this and they inflate otherwise normal things (given their context) so that they don’t have to revisit them later.

If you know otherwise, as in you went through the process (while having such issues) and had no problem, it would save a lot of applicants stress. Please elaborate.

My $.02

estefanchanning

Bronze

Post by estefanchanning » Sun May 06, 2018 5:24 pm

b290 wrote:
cj_dawhg713 wrote:Above poster is expressing and overabundance of caution with regard to a legitimately prescribed drug.

No. You’ve missed my point. Alcoholism is actually legal, yet you have to report your character and fitness. It has nothing to do with “legality,” as it does with a user’s history with the substance.

I personally don’t see an issue with it, but I’m not the character and fitness board. C & F is the final screening before licensure and it’s actually hard to be dis-barred. C & F boards know this and they inflate otherwise normal things (given their context) so that they don’t have to revisit them later.

If you know otherwise, as in you went through the process (while having such issues) and had no problem, it would save a lot of applicants stress. Please elaborate.

My $.02
In CA you don't have to report it. You must only report drugs that you have a "chemical dependency." Define that how you will, but it's not a categorical disclosure for Adderall/Vyvance.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

b290

Bronze

Post by b290 » Sun May 06, 2018 7:35 pm

estefanchanning wrote:
b290 wrote:

My $.02
In CA you don't have to report it. You must only report drugs that you have a "chemical dependency." Define that how you will, but it's not a categorical disclosure for Adderall/Vyvance.

b290

Bronze

Post by b290 » Sun May 06, 2018 8:15 pm

estefanchanning wrote:In CA you don't have to report it. You must only report drugs that you have a "chemical dependency." Define that how you will, but it's not a categorical disclosure for Adderall/Vyvance.
That’s true - for California. The few C&F apps I’ve dealt with (slight variations of the NCBE model app) explicitly ask about medical history and substance abuse (particularly that which affects practice). Some other states even go further and ask about pertinent prescriptions irrespective of abuse. While this brings up ADA issues, state bars are currently still allowed to do it. It can’t be brushed off like it’s nothing.

Anyone who’s previously used Adderall/Vyance (i.e. one who’s had a clear history of ADHD and has been taking it prior to now) would already know the effects and obviate the need for this thread. It’s reasonable to presume (short of a very recent diagnosis) that OP’s use of the drug is a new activity, which again goes to what I’ve mentioned earlier.

You bring up a good point. OP should check with Character and Fitness before applying so as to know what to expect.

Mods: please remove my duplicate post - or at least allow us to edit again. Thank you.

My $.02

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”